IGNORED

Dillards 43: Tweeting for God

samurai_sarah

I can't believe I missed that bit with Izzie on the first read. Kind of wondering what was the turner point for Derick that made him to loath his first born. From what is being shown to public my spidery senses are giving odd sense that there is some type of emotional abuse going on in the household.

And just in case there is a chance that it's gets editedI graped screen shots

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't go as far as saying he is abusing Izzy or that he hates him. But damn, i think he is jealous of his son. Probably because he is not Jill's only source of attention anymore or mommy's baby. 

Everything he says is totally line with a passive-agressive 13 year old jealous of his new baby brother

17 hours ago, singsingsing said:

There are definitely parts of the world where Christians are persecuted, and America is most definitely not one of them. Kind of hard finding time to pray for the persecuted church when you're busy persecuting everyone else, Derick. But he doesn't mind. After all, Jesus clearly said, "You guys are the in-crowd, congrats. Everyone else is going to hell, and if they don't come around after you yell at them and insult them for a while, just don't worry about them! Hate your enemy, despise your non-Christian neighbour, and definitely make sure those foreigners and strangers stay in their own countries where they belong."

Yup. I don't think that Derick cares very much about actually persecuted Christians, seeing as most of them are not white and practice Christianity very differently from how he does.

Actually, I don't know their family's deal, but the Hartonos, as Chinese-Indonesian Christians, may have faced actual persecution. Maybe they could talk to Derick about what that's actually like (though considering their ages, Jenny and Jonathan were likely too young to remember what was going on in 1998 when there were riots that triggered a lot of Chinese Christian out-migration; though Jonathan has tweeted about Ahok, who is a Chinese Christian politician who sparked massive protests/riots and was then jailed because he said in a campaign speech that people shouldn't twist the Quran's words to be hateful towards him/undermine his candidacy just because he's Christian).

95 percent of what Izzy says and does is objectionable? Sounds like he should be in toddler jail. Poor kid! In most households, a kid as cute and easy-going as Izzy ("Today I live here, tomorrow I live in Central America, big whoop!") would be worshipped.

8 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Derick and his ilk are soooo simplistic.  They just don't think.  You're in jail?  Ministry!!111!!!1.  Why can't they see and fight for dismantling for profit jails?  The US allows this.  It's wrong.  Just wrong.  The war on drugs makes people a ton of money on both sides.  It's broken and Jesus can't fix it.  "Don't do bad stuff"  Derick is such a maroon. Does he think he solved the worlds problems and has it all figured out?   Humans are complex.  Life is complex.  You need to look at all sides, dig deep, then form an opinion.  What would he know though?  He's hiding from all of it.  Useless. It's actually hard to find my words, having lost brain cells from reading that ridiculous essay.

If they actually tried critical thinking, though, it might dismantle some of their fundamental beliefs. I think, deep down, capitalism-and-Jesus lovin' republican christians know this, which is why they (obviously) don't think too hard and can't get past the most simplistic of thought processes

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying he is abusing Izzy or that he hates him. But damn, i think he is jealous of his son. Probably because he is not Jill's only source of attention anymore or mommy's baby. 

Everything he says is totally line with a passive-agressive 13 year old jealous of his new baby brother

Izzy appears to be a source of considerable conflict for D'wreck.  Passive aggressive behavior can be extremely emotionally abusive.  I also wouldn't go so far as saying D'wreck loathes Izzy, but like @klabourdeth, my spidery sense went on red alert with D'wreck's most recent characterization of his relationship with his firstborn.  I'll never forget that disturbing picture of a screaming, bundled 9-month-old Izzy that DerJill posted without any explanation.  

Just because you don’t agree with someone, doesn’t mean you hate them. What one thinks of someone’s idea or actions really doesn’t serve at all, to tell what they think of them personally, one way or the other. For example, I disagree with about 95% of what my son does or suggests that I do ("Get out of the car!" as we're going 70mph down the highway), yet I love him dearly! I disagree with my wife far less than my son, and I also love her very much. It’s not bigotry, fascism, etc… to exercise one’s right of free speech.

Wait, what?!

I'm confused on this one. I'm not sure if I should chalk it up as Derick just not being very good with words or communicating ideas, or if he legitimately disagrees with almost everything his son does. Is he trying to say "Little kids are silly! They suggest crazy things like wanting to get in the pool in winter time/wanting silly food combinations for dinner! That means I have to tell my child no a lot, but I still love him!"?  Without the context of the rest of his post maybe I'd say yes. But this paragraph here doesn't even make it clear that his son is a toddler. Is he actually trying to say that disagreeing with a fully grown woman, his wife, is the same as disagreeing with a small child? You would have to be a dunderheaded fool to try and make a point about "free speech" by saying it's okay for you to disagree with your toddler and you still love him. Like, no shit Derrick, kids aren't totally logical and say silly things, of course you're going to tell them 'no' for safety, convenience, etc. That doesn't really relate to free speech. 

40 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Like, no shit Derrick, kids aren't totally logical and say silly things, of course you're going to tell them 'no' for safety, convenience, etc.

Yes, but he also disagrees with his wife, so it's all good! :roll:

I've always heard children and drunks tell no lies. Izzy telling Derick to get out of the car at highway speeds is actually pretty chilling, to me.

Really sad that this guy has a university degree from a legitimate university. Was he not required to take any classes involving logic, rhetoric, critical thinking? Or did he just tune it all out?

I think he was trying to be funny with the whole 'I disagree with 95% of what my toddler says, like when he told me to get out of the car as we were driving down the highway, hahaha! amirite, folks?' But as usual it just falls flat, because he's a nincompoop. 

The real problem with Derick's argument is that he's comparing LGBTQ people to toddlers. In this scenario, he's the rational adult, they're the illogical, silly children. A swing and a miss, Derick. Try to be a tad less transparent next time.

8 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

The contrast between Derick and Ben can’t be bigger at this point. All a 2yo needs is love and guidance Derick, it’s not a manipulative powerstruggle. 

where are you reading about Israel -? 

8 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

why would Izzy tell Derick to get out of the car in the first place? 

Because he's already smart enough to know his father is a waste of carbon hateful scumbag?

Sorry, in super cranky right now. But go Izzy.

51 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Really sad that this guy has a university degree from a legitimate university. Was he not required to take any classes involving logic, rhetoric, critical thinking? Or did he just tune it all out?

I think he was trying to be funny with the whole 'I disagree with 95% of what my toddler says, like when he told me to get out of the car as we were driving down the highway, hahaha! amirite, folks?' But as usual it just falls flat, because he's a nincompoop. 

The real problem with Derick's argument is that he's comparing LGBTQ people to toddlers. In this scenario, he's the rational adult, they're the illogical, silly children. A swing and a miss, Derick. Try to be a tad less transparent next time.

I agree with 66.6% of what you say here.  :irony:

I'm not convinced D'Wreck's example over disagreeing with 95% of what a toddler says is intended as lighthearted humor.  Remember, he sees this kid as being manipulative.  I see more evidence that D'Wreck has a problem relating to his firstborn.  I admit that I've got a biased view, however.  

1 minute ago, Drala said:

I agree with 66.6% of what you say here.  :irony:

I'm not convinced D'Wreck's example over disagreeing with 95% of what a toddler says is intended as lighthearted humor.  Remember, he sees this kid as being manipulative.  I see more evidence that D'Wreck has a problem relating to his firstborn.  I admit that I've got a biased view, however. [snip]

I think he intends it to be lighthearted humour, but it comes from a dark place - if that makes sense? I do think that Derick has issues with his kid. Maybe major issues. The joke was supposed to come across as lighthearted, but there's this weird bitterness and messed up way of relating to his child that's fueling it. 

(Also, just FYI, you might want to delete that last sentence. I think it's verging on breaking the 'no speculation' rule.)

57 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've always heard children and drunks tell no lies. Izzy telling Derick to get out of the car at highway speeds is actually pretty chilling, to me.

I don’t know. Without knowing the context it’s tough to judge off this. It’s entirely possible Izzy was just in a goofy mood and they were all laughing about it at the time. Or maybe he saw something in a book about someone jumping off/out of something and he was connecting the book with life. Or, like @singsingsingjust suggested, maybe Derick was trying to be relatable and just failed miserably because thats what he does best. 

I did find it interesting that he admitted he doesn’t always agree with Jill though. I know some of the second geners have been more open about this, but it’s just odd to me. I was always under the impression that women weren’t allowed to disagree in this cult, but I suppose the way you disagree likely matters a good deal and that Jill could be disagreeing within allowed parameters. 

6 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Yes. I also think Derrick is incredibly insecure and is one of those men obsessed with "respect" (aside, but this is why I think he was drawn to Jill and the courtship system). Men like that tend to not have the sense of humor and humility required for parenting, especially when kids are little. 

I think he thought being a dad was just a way for more worship, in the vein of his already doting wife, Izzy is challenging him a lot more than he expected he would. And it's clear Derrick doesn't like to be challenged.

I'm really beginning to worry about that family... :my_confused:

26 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I did find it interesting that he admitted he doesn’t always agree with Jill though. I know some of the second geners have been more open about this, but it’s just odd to me. I was always under the impression that women weren’t allowed to disagree in this cult, but I suppose the way you disagree likely matters a good deal and that Jill could be disagreeing within allowed parameters. 

It's possible he could be referring to differences in trivial opinions, for the most part. For all we know their "disagreement" would be how cold/hot to keep the thermostat in the house or how late children should go to bed. I doubt she challenges him on heavier things like political beliefs. 

I really hope, more so than most of the 3rd gen Duggars, Izzy and Sam grow up to be straight and cis. Something tells me Derick wouldn't put the health and happiness of his children over his fucked up beliefs. 

Ugh. Derick, you're an idiot. Stop trying to pass yourself off as some type of new age totally down with the world, cool Christian. You're not. You have no idea what is going on in this world outside your little bubble. Racism is real and happens every single day. Sexism is a legit complaint and you don't mention it but you wouldn't because you think women belong in the kitchen. Transgender people are real, they are living breathing human beings who do not deserve to be compared to fruit. Israel is a kid, you are supposed to be encouraging him to explore and question the world. Unfortunately Derick, you're an idiot and you will never listen or learn. 

At first I thought Derick was quoting someone else who has a teenager. 95% would still have been too much. What's he disagreeing with?

I don't want to take a nap/go to bed.

I don't like green beans, etc.

Get out of the car Daddy, was a little weird.

What a load of bullshit, particularly:

That’s the beauty of America, that we have the freedom to make personal choices, within a civilized society of law and order.  All people should be treated equally before the law, plain and simple.

So this is why you are continuously trying to change laws to restrict freedoms (like marriage, like access to women's health) for your fellow Americans? It takes some chutzpah to write that blog entry with a straight face.

Also disagreeing with 95% of what your 2 year old says or does? WTF?? I have a 2 year old as well and the majority of the time he is a great little boy, he plays, he loves reading books, he comments on the world and learns new words and says silly things. Only a lunatic could say they disagree with 95% of the child's actions or words. Derrick is legitimately deranged.

I took the comment about Israel saying "Get out of the car" at highway speeds to be him whining about being in the carseat. Especially if he grew up a lot in CA, he probably doesnt have quite the experience of cars that other children would have. I know they've been back in America for quite a while though. 

But uh.... I really don't like that Derrick made a comment that he disagrees with his 2 yo. There could have been much much better ways to word that section. Even a "My 2yo doesnt agree with me much of the time" would have been better. Because what 2yo does really agree with their parents?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived