IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 2: WTF is Happening, In More Ways than One

FundieFarmer

On 12/28/2018 at 12:57 AM, DomWackTroll said:

Um, Spanky, doesn't this mean that you have a lot of 'splainin' to do? Like, walking back everything you've ever said in the last, oh, I dunno, 30 years? 

Lisa the helpmeet retweets and begs to disagree:

Lisa C. Sproul‏ @lisacsproul 33m33 minutes ago

No- he’s not @rcsprouljr . Anyone buying into these rumors should get a refund. Seems to be an ongoing assault on dear old dad.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

Anyone buying into these rumors

Ooh, bitchy... Did Darby remove it? Now she's posted: 

Hilarious! So, is Darby neutral about him being Baptist or does she think it’s ridiculous? (And what made her say so?) Either way, tea was indeed served and I love how his nutty wife considers it an “assault” to be called Baptist ?

1 hour ago, dripcurl said:

Hilarious! So, is Darby neutral about him being Baptist or does she think it’s ridiculous? (And what made her say so?) 

I'm thinking this might have been a little triggering for Darby: 

I'm getting so confused.  Well, I'm late to the party, as things have been removed. I looked further down Darby's tweets.  She lists off where her siblings are with "one foot out Christendom".  It's as if she is associating being a Christian with being a Presbyterian, is that really what she believes?  Or, am I misreading that? Is it just considered a step beneath Presbyterian?

9 hours ago, Flyinthesoup said:

I'm getting so confused.  Well, I'm late to the party, as things have been removed. I looked further down Darby's tweets.  She lists off where her siblings are with "one foot out Christendom".  It's as if she is associating being a Christian with being a Presbyterian, is that really what she believes?  Or, am I misreading that? Is it just considered a step beneath Presbyterian?

I need all of this explained to me, too. Is it like in A River Runs Through It when Presbyterian Minister MacLean refers to Methodists as “Baptists who can read”? What’s the pecking order? I was raised in Catholic crazy so there’s only Catholic and not-Catholic in my imprinting.

Darby tweeted that she'd heard a rumor that her father was now a Baptist. Lisa angrily responded that it was not true, accusing Darby of leading "an ongoing assault on dear old Dad." Both tweets appear to have been deleted. 

I wonder if "one foot out Christendom" refers to questioning the faith.  Not surprising after witnessing the hypocrisy of the father. 

If so, sh*t could really hit the fan. 

Also, are there "little b" baptists of some theological description or other? 

@DomWackTroll, could you clarify why Spanky & Wife would be uber insulted by being called Baptists?  Is it some type of arcane grace/works/faith alone argument?

2 minutes ago, Howl said:

@DomWackTroll, could you clarify why Spanky & Wife would be uber insulted by being called Baptists?  Is it some type of arcane grace/works/faith alone argument?

You can be a Reformed Baptist, like Spanky's good friend Doug Phillips. I'm pretty sure Voddie Baucham and the Botkins are Reformed Baptists, too, but correct me if I'm wrong. But with Spanky, well, his father, RC Sr., was very famously Presbyterian and built his whole brand on it, so it would be quite a departure. 

I’m still stuck on “the house is in foreclosure.”  Would that be the Mc Manse that Schmoopy had Xmas-decorated withinban inch of its life last year? 

Although I study theology I still don't get all the differences between all these denominations. That's probably because Germany is more or less half Protestants (Lutheran and Reformed) and half Catholics. 

What distinguishes Reformed Baptists from (Southern) Baptists? IIRC Presbyterianism is the Scottish way of Reformation, isn't it? I need a cheat sheet to understand this dispute. 

The whole VF crowd always wanted to appear (pseudo)intellectual while folks like the Duggars and Bateses always tried to paint a picture of bible believing, hard working grifting blue collar types. Is this was upsets Darby? That her father possibly being a baptist now means that he lost his academic/intellectual status? I'm confused. I hope someone understands this gibberish.

20 minutes ago, ophelia said:

What distinguishes Reformed Baptists from (Southern) Baptists? IIRC Presbyterianism is the Scottish way of Reformation, isn't it? I need a cheat sheet to understand this dispute. 

It is VERY important (in Fundie circles)!  These people will squabble about everything.  Thank goodness.

This is a very rough and totally over-simplified primer.

Reformed = Calvinist.  Sort of. 

So In the general sense in the UK and US  Reformed Theology   https://www.theopedia.com/reformed-theology comes from the UK   https://www.theopedia.com/westminster-confession 

The Baptist London Convention of 1689 was based on the Westminster Confession but then they diverged. over Very Important Things like salvation and predetermination. 

However, RC's version of Reformed is primarily a 20th century US invention.   But not the sort of Calvinism often seen in Europe.  Or Scotland, for that matter.  I'll call it "new" Calvinism because you can have Reformed Presbyterian churches that aren't (new) Reformed too.

So RC Spoul (father and son) identify as (new) Reformed Presbyterian,  and Daddy's reputation was built on (new) Reformed Theology.  Also overlapping in the Venn diagram are Dominionism and Christian Reconstructionalism.   See Rushdooney, R.J. too.

The Baptists (but there are multiple flavors of Baptist in the US) are also reformed, but not as (new) Calvinist.  The Southern Baptist Convention split off from the Northern Baptists ages ago (over slavery).  And both sets of Baptists split again, and again ....

Some aren't so interested in this Dominionist and Patriarchal stuff.  But some  SBC churches - they are all independent entites - are far more conservative and (new) Calvinist than others.  

And the gap seems to be closing between (new) Reformed Presbyterian and SBC Baptist as the evils of new Reformed Calvinism are invading them more and more.  Useful article:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/how-calvinism-is-dividing-the-southern-baptist-convention__3399504.html

Confusing indeed.  

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

George Orwell. Animal Farm.

As far as we are concerned, we are pretty much "the creatures outside." The pigs know the difference.

Ok I'm still confused.

Darby deleted the tweet about her dad, but does have tweets about her siblings from earlier in December (images below spoilers, I don't know how to make them links):

Spoiler

image.png.a93db6003a12741031904c54a3f22932.png

image.png.dda18bb79c54a48eb6dc1256705dfa43.png

Do we know which siblings she is referring to? (I assume Sister 1=Delaney who married JTits Phillips, son of the Tool, who is Reformed Baptist?)

Is Darby being sarcastic here, or does she really think that if her siblings go non-Presbyterian they're halfway to heathenism?

I think the posts about the siblings were just gentle ribbing, but the post about Spanky? Not so much. 

ETA: IMO, the post about Spanky was more about telling the world that she does not have an open line of communication with her father than about any theological difference. 

5 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

You can be a Reformed Baptist, like Spanky's good friend Doug Phillips. I'm pretty sure Voddie Baucham and the Botkins are Reformed Baptists, too, but correct me if I'm wrong. But with Spanky, well, his father, RC Sr., was very famously Presbyterian and built his whole brand on it, so it would be quite a departure. 

Well, I thought I knew the answer to this, but after a bit more reading, I see there is confusion within the Southern Baptist convention with regards to stands on reformed theology.  Voddie Baucham was SBC, but I see he was struggling with some of that.  I have to look up the school he's teaching at to see exactly what that one is. :P 

1 hour ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

Ok I'm still confused.

Darby deleted the tweet about her dad, but does have tweets about her siblings from earlier in December (images below spoilers, I don't know how to make them links):

Reveal hidden contents

Do we know which siblings she is referring to? (I assume Sister 1=Delaney who married JTits Phillips, son of the Tool, who is Reformed Baptist?)

Is Darby being sarcastic here, or does she really think that if her siblings go non-Presbyterian they're halfway to heathenism?

That's how I read that, too.

2 hours ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

Ok I'm still confused.

Hide contents

I'm thinking:

Brother 1 = Campbell

Sister 1 = Delaney

Sister 2 = Erin Claire (I believe she's engaged?)

1 hour ago, Flyinthesoup said:

I have to look up the school he's teaching at to see exactly what that one is. :P

Well here you go:  http://acu-usa.com/

"Reformed Baptist."

40 minutes ago, seraaa said:

Absolutely fair enough call-out, tbh. 

But not her Dad.

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

However, RC's version of Reformed is primarily a 20th century US invention.  

With alcohol.  The "with alcohol" was very very important to Spanky, and to others in the "masculine Reformed Christianity" circles, like Doug Wilson and his Laphroaig whiskey fetish.  

Another point.  Spanky is an alcoholic.  He's an untreated alcoholic, except for "Jesus saved me!" so I suspect there hasn't been a lot of reflection and amends about damage done by his drinking. 

Even if he's currently sober, Spanky was happily drunk and too oblivious to realize that at least one of his children was in danger in years past and all his grown kids suffered from his drinking. 

1 hour ago, seraaa said:

Absolutely fair enough call-out, tbh. 

Free Jinger doesn't allow anybody to post content from private social media accounts, everything on here is from public sources. So there's nobody "who read FJ as an opportunity to view my social media". Well, IF she hasn't banned anyone from reading her tweets, in that case it would be different of course...

Any bets on who can't read her tweets?

In our former “church”, which practiced paedo-baptism and embraced Sprouls Sr. and Jr. and Wilson and Swanson and more of their ilk, a family that held to believer baptism (though they embraced many of the “church’s” other tenets) was not allowed to take communion. For years.

I couldn’t figure out why they didn’t just leave.

Baptists were sort of second-class believers in that “church”, I guess.

Another case of “how dare you publicly discuss things I’ve said/done publicly” maybe?
I mean, it can’t be fun to have a message board full of people side-eying and analyzing your social media posts.
But you know who doesn’t have that problem? People who keep their social media private. If you Tweet with your real name and your account is public, people are free to read and speculate and criticize. It’s PUBLIC. That’s how social media fscking WORKS. If you see FJ discussing things you’d rather not see FJ discussing, either make it so strangers can’t see it or STFU.

See, I didn't read that tweet as being hostile to FJ. One might even argue that she threw us a "dainty morsel" (BRADRICK!) by pointedly excluding Spanky. 

ETA: Spanky picks a side! 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived