IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 2: WTF is Happening, In More Ways than One

FundieFarmer

9 minutes ago, Flyinthesoup said:

I see a Nov. 18 and a Nov. 20, is the Nov. 19 now gone? :P 

Looks like it!

Well, people, this is why we can't have nice things.  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Flyinthesoup said:

I see a Nov. 18 and a Nov. 20, is the Nov. 19 now gone? :P 

Well what do you know? Woosh! That sure was fast! RC-Lisa is paying close attention to this thread.

The now deleted entry was a "blessing" hand-written by RC Sr. to RC Jr. and Lisa. It included a photo of the envelope it was mailed in with their address on it. I got the impression it may have been what Sr. read to them when he officiated their wedding. It was very nice what he said. I saved an image of the envelope assuming they might take it down eventually. Happened much faster than I expected. I googled the address just out of curiosity only to discover the house is in foreclosure.

2 hours ago, Banyan said:

Well what do you know? Woosh! That sure was fast! RC-Lisa is paying close attention to this thread.

The now deleted entry was a "blessing" hand-written by RC Sr. to RC Jr. and Lisa. It included a photo of the envelope it was mailed in with their address on it. I got the impression it may have been what Sr. read to them when he officiated their wedding. It was very nice what he said. I saved an image of the envelope assuming they might take it down eventually. Happened much faster than I expected. I googled the address just out of curiosity only to discover the house is in foreclosure.

Great work! Thanks for trying to help us out.

17 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

...apparently leaving Spanky without the time, energy, or money to "rescue" his daughter from the workplace! And now she's even "partying" with them-- in pants!

Would you mind summarizing, as it appears the post has been made private?

TIA

(never mind. Thanks!)

(can’t remove underlining...)

4 hours ago, refugee said:

Would you mind summarizing, as it appears the post has been made private?

Sheesh, do they really think they can post pics of one of their grown daughters attending college classes and working a "real" job and wearing jeans, and those of us who have been following the Sprouls for years are just going to be like, "Meh, whatever"? If they've changed their views, fine-- let them explain themselves. But without any explanation whatsoever, well, snarkers gonna snark. 

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Sheesh, do they really think they can post pics of one of their grown daughters attending college classes and working a "real" job and wearing jeans, and those of us who have been following the Sprouls for years are just going to be like, "Meh, whatever"?

Why yes, yes they do think that. 

These people crave attention, though, so chances are that this stuff will reappear and/or other, similar things will be posted.

18 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Why yes, yes they do think that. 

These people crave attention, though, so chances are that this stuff will reappear and/or other, similar things will be posted.

I’ve been having to dabble with essential oils for my new job, and it has showed me how nutty Stacy McDonald’s advice really was. I was stalking her the other day, and I was surprised at what her teen/young adult daughters post on Instagram. Short shorts, cheesy Bible-void captions, and links to youtube channels singing the Devil’s music. A stark contrast from when Stacy spoke at a fundie event I attended 6 or 7 years ago. She spent a good 10 minutes on why wearing a bikini even with a cover up would cause our brothers to sin. Amongst other Patriarchal bullshit, of course.

I admit that I am a somewhat petty and bitter person, so when I see all of these fundie families who so fervently and dogmatically preached all of these restricitive practices for daughters let their daughters now run around somewhat free it makes me really frustrated. Please understand, I am happy these girls now have the freedom they do have. But it’s a big slap in the face to all the daughters who were robbed of those opportunities since their families were running in these circles. If an explanation was given by these fundie leaders, that would be different.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:17 PM, dripcurl said:

I’ve been having to dabble with essential oils for my new job, and it has showed me how nutty Stacy McDonald’s advice really was.

Please elaborate. Are you saying Stacy McDonald doesn't know what she's talking about with the proper use of essential oils? Wouldn't surprise me. I've used EOs for years for all kinds of things but I've steered clear of the MLM companies. They just creep me out. EOs can be good medicine if you take the time to learn what you're doing. But it seems the MLM crowd has ruined a good thing, re Young Living, Dotera, etc.

14 hours ago, Banyan said:

Please elaborate. Are you saying Stacy McDonald doesn't know what she's talking about with the proper use of essential oils? Wouldn't surprise me. I've used EOs for years for all kinds of things but I've steered clear of the MLM companies. They just creep me out. EOs can be good medicine if you take the time to learn what you're doing. But it seems the MLM crowd has ruined a good thing, re Young Living, Dotera, etc.

I’ve read elsewhere that EOs are not to be ingested, and that many (all?) should be diluted before use, like in a carrier oil.

However, some years back Stacy taught a group of marks, er, potential down line candidates (and others who just came for the social time) that she prepared James a drink (water? I don’t remember but I think it was water) that had a few drops of YL (of course!) peppermint oil every day. It energized him, or something.

And the food at the party had YL oils in it. Like something lemon (lemon bars, maybe?) had YL lemon oil added for extra lemony flavor.

Because the oils are so pure, y’know. So much purer than other companies’ EOs that should not be ingested or rubbed on the skin undiluted.

Would you like me to expound at length on the stupidity and danger of MLM-promoted oil uses?

I work with EOs for a living and oh my GOD the MLMs make me cray-zee.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:43 PM, bea said:

Would you like me to expound at length on the stupidity and danger of MLM-promoted oil uses?

I work with EOs for a living and oh my GOD the MLMs make me cray-zee.

Yes, if it's not too much bother I really would like to know. I have a couple friends who are making a ton of money in Young Living. They've invited me to join and promise the moon but thankfully haven't been pushy about it. I don't claim to be an EO expert but the reality is I know 100 times more than the two of them combined, and they admit it too. I can't understand how they can be so ignorant and yet make six figures. The whole scene reminds me too much of Amway. Almost like a cult.

5 hours ago, refugee said:

I’ve read elsewhere that EOs are not to be ingested, and that many (all?) should be diluted before use, like in a carrier oil.

That's the English school/way of doing it. Ultra conservative. The French school is far more liberal and includes ingestion of some oils and direct/uncut topical application of at least some mild oils (e.g. lavender). A few bonafide EO experts like Kurt Schnaubelt are more from the French school but raise important cautions in the process. I'm thinking Gary Young is French school but is lacking in offering up the important cautions that Schnaubelt does.

I had a friend ask me if I had anything for a huge ugly wart on his finger. I mixed up a batch of Oregano, Tea Tree and a couple of other EOs diluted heavily in a carrier. When I saw him a week later the wart was almost completely gone but the skin around the wart was also severely burned and red. He was also in a lot of pain from it. I knew my blend couldn't have done that. He told me when his YL-rep wife found out what I'd given him and heard it had Oregano in it she threw my oil blend out and put straight YL oregano on the wart! Yes it did a number on the wart but at the expense of what may prove to be permanent skin damage. I'm not saying any of that is Gary Young's fault, but it does seem his teaching methods are lacking and some of his pupils may be reckless.

So essential oils are distilled plants, basically. They’re the most concentrated essence of a plant you can get - which means that a lot of them are caustic. These suckers can burn. Oregano, for example, can give you a 2nd degree burn. Maybe. Because depending on the physical plant itself - where it was harvested, the conditions under which it grew, where it grew, etc. - the plant might be stronger. Or weaker. How it was distilled matters too. What was used, how it was done, all of that affects the final product, too.

But you don’t know. And you don’t know because essential oils are completely unregulated. There’s no certification process. There’s no “grades.” The “thereputic grade” term is trademarked by DoTerra specifically because it means *nothing*. I can say my oils are A+ #1 grade all day and all night and it has no bearing on the quality, strength, origin, or purity of whatever oils I’m selling because there’s no grading system. No testing system. No standards. EOs are considered a fragrance product. We don’t test Chanel No. 5 for purity, we don’t test EOs, either. So the quality and the strength can vary hugely from batch to batch even with the same distilled. When Young Living and DoTerra make claims about oil testing, these are done by in-house or subsidiary labs - there’s other oil companies that do lab testing, but the tests prove pretty much zip because again, there’s no regulations to follow or standards to meet.

Gary Young is a well-known fraud who was convicted and jailed for practicing medicine without a license. He delivered a baby in water, KEPT the baby under water, and it drowned. DoTerra was a literal split off of Young Living. They are able to make all kinds of wild unspecified claims about essential oils because THEY aren’t making the claims. Then independent “consultants” are making them, and these companies are very careful in their contract working to specify that they are not responsible for the claims their reps make. The reps are trained to sell as many oils as possible and that means to tell people to use them uncut, to swallow them, to put them on babies, to use them on pets because they’re safe because they’re natural and certified “A” grade, etc. Put them into a diffuser and breathe them - it’s not like they’re made from plants and can cause an allergic reaction, after all! Use them on cuts! Put them in water, oil TOTALLY dissolves in water! Eat them, drink them, use them to prevent Ebola - which the FDA actually dinged them for because you can’t be claiming essential oils will cure a specific disease without proof, which is why the health benefits are always really nebulous and the onus is on the consumer to use the oil properly. The “consultants” are entirely on their own, legally speaking, so whatever they claim is on their own heads. Young Living and the other pyramid schemes set the companies up this way on purpose- they are insulated from the legal consequences of whatever harm is done, because they’re not responsible for what these people say.

(There’s a category of EOs that the FDA regards as “generally recognized as safe” for consumption - in parts per million, in commercial/industrial flavoring, but that part gets left out and the part about FDA saying it’s safe to eat gets used by the companies.)

And these MLM companies are a ripoff in terms of price, too. EOs like basil and oregano and other native plants containing lots of water are very easy to distill. My wholesale price for 8oz is about the same as YL and DT charge for 15ml. Of the SAME THING.

That, if you can believe it, is the short form of my MLM essential oil scam problems. I have complaints about how they call things essential oils that are patently NOT essential oils, but hey, they can do that because EOs aren’t regulated.

Does anyone know what Darby's tweet from last night means? It's photos of three men and one "taught her love", which I assume was her grandfather RC Sr., but who are the other two and which taught her patience and which taught her pain?

59 minutes ago, Alcyone said:

Does anyone know what Darby's tweet from last night means? It's photos of three men and one "taught her love", which I assume was her grandfather RC Sr., but who are the other two and which taught her patience and which taught her pain?

The other two guys are Paul Tripp and Joel Osteen. I would assume that Tripp is "patience" and Osteen is "pain," but I have no idea why Osteen would even be on Darby's radar. 

And she's quoting Ariana Grande there, Thank U Next. The song is about appreciating the lessons you learned from ex-boyfriends, while moving on to be a stronger person on your own. So are all these preachers people she's no longer following? Or is she using the lyric and ignoring the metaphor?

19 minutes ago, refugee said:

If Tripp is a spanking advocate, maybe she learned pain from her parents applying his teachings.

That was my thought -- Tripp is the son of Ted Tripp (Shepherding A Child's Butt Heart), right?

Paul Tripp is Tedd Tripp's brother. He also has written and spoken on parenting.  From what I've heard of him, he clearly doesn't agree with the Shepherding a Child's Heart view of spanking, which says parents are sinning if they don't spank.

12 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Some chemotherapy drugs are also basically "distilled plants".

Is that where EO pushers get the idea that EOs can be used to prevent/treat cancer?

10 hours ago, refugee said:

Is that where EO pushers get the idea that EOs can be used to prevent/treat cancer?

I don't know, but I think it's tragically ironic when people thing something that's "purely natural" has to be good, while something that's refined and improved by scientific testing, medical trials, and the pharmacological industry has to be bad, given that they ultimately come from the same origins but one just has more testing and refinement and critical analysis and strict safety regulations.

Natural plant based drugs that are now considered "bad" because they are used in conventional medical practice.  Hmm.  Off the top of my head:

• Aspirin - willow bark and vinegar
  • Digitalis - fox glove
  • Morphine and codeine - opium poppies

Plant based drugs that Fundies would be shocked to find are natural if everything natural is assumed to be good:

• Cocaine
  • Marijuana

Really toxic plants used to poison people - naturally (I read too many detective novels):

• Aconite
  • Deadly nightshade
  • Castor beans 
  • Oleander
  • Water Hemlock
  • And all those vegetables and fruits containing cyanide and other toxins like cassava, peas, most beans, elderberries, and those apples pips, peach pits and so on.*

*Do not use this as an excuse not to eat your veggies.  Cooking releases the cyanide and neutralises other toxins.  You would have to eat an awful lot of raw peas to get cyanide poisoning.  Elderberries, OTOH ...

Looks like Darby (Sproul) Stouffer is estranged from at least some members of her infamous family--you can probably guess which. From her public Twitter in Nov: "The fact that I use my best social media wizardry and shenanigans just to be able to see photos of my siblings is pretty sad." (She has posted more thoughts on this topic on her FB business page, Darby's Dresses, but I'm not at liberty to share them here because you have to be an approved follower to see them.)

• 3 weeks later...

Um, Spanky, doesn't this mean that you have a lot of 'splainin' to do? Like, walking back everything you've ever said in the last, oh, I dunno, 30 years? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived