IGNORED

Counting on - Season 4, part 3 - Lying but not Laying while camping

Buzzard

You guys are much more mature than I regarding Joys graduation comment.  I dropped my fork and said "bitch" before I could even think it.  

After that I was full on BEC!  She could do no right the rest of the episode.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m watching Joy’s Wedding Dress episode. They just did the laminated beam TH. The reason Jessa knew what a laminated beam was because she watches Fixer Upper. 

On 10/13/2017 at 2:25 PM, Screamapillar said:

Secret failed courtship? :pb_lol:

Nah, obviously they had it made to go with all the "borrowed" stuff. I kinda like that.

22 hours ago, snickers34 said:

-snip - #2 - It's fucking Arkansas. I'm sure there are folks here who can speak to the requirements, but I know in many backwards states they require evolution & creation to get equal billing, or even to allow schools/families to present creationism in a more favorable light, right? Quick, someone google faster than my lazy ass can!

I can't speak for Arkansas, or whether this is still even the case for the district I went to in South Carolina, when I was in high school (way back from 2000-2004), but yeah, when I was in 9th grade - we began learning about evolution, and my teacher in the most monotone way possible says (some paraphrased, because this was 17 years ago), "The district requires me to share "alternatives" to the teaching of evolution.  So I am obligated to mention "creation"."  Then she doesn't say anything else, until one of the students goes, "Creation?"  She leans against her desk, like she's already over it, "Creation is the belief that the whole world, and everything in it was created in a week by God."  And y'all I swear, she was just w-a-i-t-i-n-g for someone to question her on it.  When no one did, she smirked about having met her requirement, and continued with evolution.

I know it can be hard for fundies to realize, but seriously, you can believe in God, and in evolution:

Spoiler

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif.805fb52fb16dc3a98dbdbfaa65bbcf00.gif

A couple of thoughts on this last episode. Did anyone notice when the boys were looking for something old and the one found the stereo boom box he said "we could be rocking and rolling" ! Second, editing. I don't think that was one complete thought when Joy said public school graduations were boring, I'm sure she knows we get handed a diploma and have a party, just as she did...

I have to say I was quite shocked about the massive amount of junk in the warehouse....their home, although "busy" with kid stuff, seems nice. Not a lot of mismatched junk, excess stuff everywhere, etc. I think it's maybe just naivety on my part because they've always been "buy used, save the difference" and hanging onto stuff kind of goes hand-in-hand with that mindset....like they don't want to get rid of anything or have multiple back up items "just in case" so they don't have to go buy new/again. I do also think a lot of it could be that they never had stuff before so old habits die hard and they don't want to be without. My lasts supported theory does go back to what others have mentioned, they just have SO much stuff and no time to go through it or are too lazy. I don't think I could live like that (my hoarding habits were nipped at a young age) and with as many people, resources and as much space as they have you would think they could stay on top of keeping their property/items properly maintained (and not crammed full of junk). But different strokes, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Fun Undies said:

I can't speak for Arkansas, or whether this is still even the case for the district I went to in South Carolina, when I was in high school (way back from 2000-2004), but yeah, when I was in 9th grade - we began learning about evolution, and my teacher in the most monotone way possible says (some paraphrased, because this was 17 years ago), "The district requires me to share "alternatives" to the teaching of evolution.  So I am obligated to mention "creation"."  Then she doesn't say anything else, until one of the students goes, "Creation?"  She leans against her desk, like she's already over it, "Creation is the belief that the whole world, and everything in it was created in a week by God."  And y'all I swear, she was just w-a-i-t-i-n-g for someone to question her on it.  When no one did, she smirked about having met her requirement, and continued with evolution.

I know it can be hard for fundies to realize, but seriously, you can believe in God, and in evolution:

Reveal hidden contents

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif.805fb52fb16dc3a98dbdbfaa65bbcf00.gif

That's funny because I had almost the exact opposite experience in California when I was in high school. My biology teacher told us he HAD to teach evolution, but that he didn't believe it, and if anyone in the class had issue with evolution or felt uncomfortable they were welcome to come and talk to him after hours. No one said anything. I remember being shocked that people like that actually existed. This was about 10 years ago. 

Sorry about the quoting if I messed up. I don't think I've ever attempted this on mobile before. 

I grew up in Kansas, 100 miles from TT and as an adult lived in Joplin (where the Duggars volunteered after our tornado, I never saw them and about 100 miles from their fave vacay spot, Branson). During school, I never heard mention of creation. We talked briefly about the big bang theory. That was it. FWIW, I also did not learn about the Holocaust until adulthood when someone mentioned it in conversation and I asked what it was. So I have limited education on that, whatever I could find on my own.

The fundie families I knew, knew enough about creation to tell you why they thought it was crap but not much else. But no one ever really openly talked about it, though. It was like a taboo subject. Why even bring up such poppy cock....EVERYONE knows how dumb it is and that time could be better used condemning sins and saving souls.

Challenge accepted for the bag of Halloween candy, @MoonFace!!!

Will count "like"s and other conversational irritants as soon as the episode is on demand. Like, totally. 

Do I get to choose which kind??

@Fun Undies My HS years were in Texas around the same time, we had to take something home where our parents would indicate they were cool with us learning about evolution or not. The kids whose parents were anti evolution just got to skip a week of biology and do group projects about local animals. So I got to sit through the most bizarre presentation on armadillos that included a song and dance they made up to Nelly Furtado's "I'm like a bird".

Bizarre enough that somehow it caught on, "No no, we gonna do the armadillo" which is just the worm, but you curl up and roll at the end. 

13 minutes ago, cascarones said:

@Fun Undies My HS years were in Texas around the same time, we had to take something home where our parents would indicate they were cool with us learning about evolution or not. The kids whose parents were anti evolution just got to skip a week of biology and do group projects about local animals. So I got to sit through the most bizarre presentation on armadillos that included a song and dance they made up to Nelly Furtado's "I'm like a bird".

Bizarre enough that somehow it caught on, "No no, we gonna do the armadillo" which is just the worm, but you curl up and roll at the end. 

I'd almost pay to see that haha

@IamNIKE  I'm totally trying to find a video of it, because it became some sort of yelling back and forth ritual at pep rallies. The Worm? No! The Roly Poly? No! Napoleon Dynamite? No, no we gonna do the armadillo! 

Then the football players would do a bit of Napoleon Dynamite and the armadillo and then it'd get down to serious business. Pie eating contests. Of all the cringe worthiness that was high school, football season in Texas was the most inclusive. 

16 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Challenge accepted for the bag of Halloween candy, @MoonFace!!!

Will count "like"s and other conversational irritants as soon as the episode is on demand. Like, totally. 

Do I get to choose which kind??

Sure.   LOL

ETA:   Winners must be in the US (for postage reasons) and pay all federal and state  taxes and duties on the bag of candy.   

19 hours ago, sansan said:

Nah, obviously they had it made to go with all the "borrowed" stuff. I kinda like that.

Maybe the 'idea' of an apron that says Mrs Forsyth was borrowed?    LOL   Or she 'borrowed it from Austin's mom? 

Oh, bless Rufus. I actually did it.

I counted 58 "like" usages in the latest episode. My. Head. Hurts.

I'm thinking the most expensive chocolate from Belgium isn't worth the headache, @MoonFace. Gah!

Soooo.... I just realized that tonight's waste of time starts at 8, which is my blessing's night night time and he's in a very "momma" stage right now.

Who can take one for the team and do the recap tonight?

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Soooo.... I just realized that tonight's waste of time starts at 8, which is my blessing's night night time and he's in a very "momma" stage right now.

Who can take one for the team and do the recap tonight?

I can do it. 

1 hour ago, nst said:

smart girl :D 

i would have just been banging my head against the keyboard 

Though I would love to read one of your recaps, the give no fucks snark level would be off the charts funny. :pb_lol:

On 10/14/2017 at 12:39 PM, Incognito22 said:

You guys are much more mature than I regarding Joys graduation comment.  I dropped my fork and said "bitch" before I could even think it.  

After that I was full on BEC!  She could do no right the rest of the episode.

Wow, I know the Duggars were/are very limited in social interaction/obviously not very educated but there is so much hate for homeschooling on here.

As someone who was homeschooled, started college at sixteen, has a GED but also went to highschool graduations for friends and family members, because I had plenty of opportunities to socialize, traditional highschool graduations are boring as hell.

11 minutes ago, BlondeIdol said:

As someone who was homeschooled, started college at sixteen, has a GED but also went to highschool graduations for friends and family members, because I had plenty of opportunities to socialize, traditional highschool graduations are boring as hell.

They can be but they're also a big part of the life of the graduate. That being said many graduates have graduation parties with their friends and family. Which is exactly what Joy did. So her holier than thou attitude was bullshit. 

@BlondeIdol. I don't think most people here hate home schooling, just the way the Duggars do it. Joy was speaking out of ignorance. She really doesn't know anything about a public school graduation. It's not just limited to a walk across the stage and a diploma. There can be a dance, party, trip to an amusement park, etc. Joy is just repeating what she's been told.

There's good home schooling and good public schools. It's OK to go with what fits the individual. The Duggars don't come across as good home schooling to me.

13 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

They can be but they're also a big part of the life of the graduate. That being said many graduates have graduation parties with their friends and family. Which is exactly what Joy did. So her holier than thou attitude was bullshit. 

I understand. The parties were always the best part to me anyway. 

When my homeschooling community had "Graduations" it was much more personalized. Everyone's parents, siblings and close friends stand up and make speeches. Tears fall. Hugs are given. Then everyone parties well into the night. Although for me and several other people I grew up with,  we had already been in college for two-three years so it was more a coming of age thing.

I imagine it was more of a coming of age thing for Joy too, seeing how she wasn't really moving on to do anything else. I didn't really read any holier then thou from her but she is a Duggar lol. 

@BlondeIdol I went to a small school so high school graduation was very personalized for me too. The teacher who gave the speech to us, got each of us to stand and said something special about us. He knew us all personally, some of the teachers had been in the school for the whole 13 years that we had been there. So Joy's generalized comment about her graduation being better didn't sit well with me for that reason. It shows her ignorance because she doesn't know the way that it works. 

ETA: My teachers likely knew me better then JB and M know their kids. :P 

@Bad Wolf I definitely understand what you're saying. I just get so defensive sometimes. I feel like a lot about homeschooling/unschooling doesn't get understood. The way the Duggars do things definitely contributes to that.

@Carm_88 Lol, yeah I can understand that. A graduation like that sounds super nice. Although, most of the highschool graduations I've personally been to have been pretty boring. Hell, I thought my college graduation was boring. When I got my second bacholers I choose not to walk for several different reasons. Most important of which was that I thought it was silly to do the whole thing over just because. However after thinking about it for a minute, I get why Joy's comment would rub a lot of people the wrong way though. I understand that graduation is an important life moment for everyone regardless of what school you go to. I mean, where has she been? 

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived