IGNORED

Joy and Austin 14: Pregnant with Their First

Destiny

46 minutes ago, zenbaby said:

Thanks for posting the video.  I looked at the house again, and again, and again, paying special notice to areas of interest.
1. The kitchen is mainly an aesthetic issue - gawd awful colours, finishes and the microwave. Gut it, and replace.  The floor in the kitchen and living room looks new - likely a laminate.
2. The bathroom walls around the tub is some kind of a hardboard scored to look like tiles.  Should not be used around a tub.  I'm sure the perimeter caulking failed 20 yrs ago and was never replaced.  Again, the finishes in the room definitely need updating.  Tub walls should be stripped back to the studs, replace insulation, vapour barrier and use mould-proof drywall before installing whatever system you're using in the tub/shower area, assuming they're not moving it.
3.  As for the exterior, the roof is shot.  The roof over the rear wing is too low to be using shingles.  Eavestroughs need replacing.  Cut down that small tree growing in the corner.  The back is probably facing north - a lot of biogrowth along the lower 1/4-1/3 of the elevation.  Getting eavestroughs that work and rain water leaders that drain away from the foundation will help to dry it out.  They'll have to replace that arbour or what ever that is at the entrance - lots of decay.  They need to look at the windows.  Not sure if the duct tape was to repair a hole in the screen or glass.  Verify sealants around the windows to keep the water out.

The only way they're going to finish that in 3-4 weeks is if they have an experienced crew. hahaha!

good assessment, but remember, for all the rot and decay you can see on the surface, that usually corresponds to rot and decay deeper.  If the roof is that bad, likely it has been leaking for years,  They could possibly have rot in many of the joists, etc.  The land looked flat and off the beaten path.  It might be a large lot, and it might be pretty and that might be the reason for the high price tag. For some reason it also looks like it would be in a low lying area and prone to water issues.  The biogrowth along the bottom of the outside of the house support the idea that there is a lot of moisture in this area.   Even in my area, that house, on its own, wouldn't fetch 70,000. And it sounded like Jed was surprised at the condition of the house for the money as well.

In my area, which is a stable economy with a good housing market,  that house would have sold, on a typical city lot for maybe $50,000 in that condition.  It may go for more if the lot is really desirable, or large. 

Austin may have some skills, but he is young still and he may over estimate his ability as well as underestimate the bad shape this house is in.  BUT,  at the end of the day,  he has help from the Duggar boys,  He and Joy probably have decent $$ either from her earnings on the show, his past house flip profits, and JB will likely help out so even though a wise man would have passed on this house,  Austin has a lot of advantages that a lot of young and ambitious house flippers won't have.  I suspect they will have to call in some actual construction and rehab experts on this project.  Unless Austin has mad skills,  I think this may be more than he can do just on his own. 

Still,  the risk for them is small.  Until the house is ready JB probably has place for them to land, or perhaps they could use space at Fort Rock to land, if they needed to.  From the pics on her instagram with the pregnancy announcement, they look to have a cute and comfortable living room, so perhaps the house is done by now.  Good for them, and here's to hoping that Austin continues to have a strong work ethic and doesn't get lulled by the relatively easy money from the show, since it won't last forever.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the video. Kendra's giggle was annoying, but I'm not marrying her, and I'll probably never meet her IRL. If Joe likes it, that's all that counts. I know she had to wear a skirt to rollerblade, but that looked tight and uncomfortable. Jeans would have been more modest. Just my 2 cents.

19 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think the timing was pretty close, Joy & Austin bought theirs in April and JinJer bought theirs in June. (and yes I'm so sad and stalkery I looked up sale dates)  

Joy is the first sister but Jason has owned a house since December 2016 (co-owned with Jim Bob), Josh and Anna purchased the Siloam Springs house back in January 2015, and JD has owned his Stoney Book rental since August 2012. Admittedly Josh's place was sold to an LLC during Joshgate 2 but they still live there and JD and Jason have never actually lived in their places, but still...

5 hours ago, Bethella said:

Joy is the first sister but Jason has owned a house since December 2016 (co-owned with Jim Bob), Josh and Anna purchased the Siloam Springs house back in January 2015, and JD has owned his Stoney Book rental since August 2012. Admittedly Josh's place was sold to an LLC during Joshgate 2 but they still live there and JD and Jason have never actually lived in their places, but still...

Of course she's a girl, she had to wait for her new owner, she couldn't own a home herself, that might give her ideas that she was an equal or something. 

@VelociRapture - thank you for the very kind and helpful advice. I grew up on the North Carolina coast, and lived through countless hurricanes and ice storms, so I'm pretty well equipped for power outages and shelter-in-place situations. I'm currently renting, and don't have to shovel. I also don't drive, so those worries are gone. I just need to get snow boots and wool socks.

I just finished watching the most recent episode and it felt like watching Eyore plan a wedding.

As a kid I never imagined my wedding while I was growing up. I had a small afternoon wedding that we only planned six months in advance. So I'm not the type to usually think that people need to plan their wedding like they're planning the Best Day Of Their Lives. I got overwhelmed with details and fantasized about eloping several times. But I think because we planned our wedding to be the way we wanted it, I was excited about the ideas we had. I was excited about finding a environmentally friendly caterer who made tasty vegetarian options as well as meat options, and the cake that my friend baked, and the purple and white wildflowers bouquets. To me Joy and Austin seem apathetic and almost resigned... something more than just indecisive. Do they just feel boxed into a wedding celebration that isn't what they really want?

It just kind of makes me sad to see a young couple so eager to rush past celebrating love into the humdrum everyday life of being a mature adult. I just want to tell them to stop and smell the roses as they go along. Being all grown up isn't as glamorous as it may seem. It's like they're 20 going on 40.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:27 AM, nickelodeon said:

Furthering my theory that the Duggars and Kardashians are spooky doppelgangers of each other and live parallel lives!

Jinger is Kourtney! 

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Of course she's a girl, she had to wait for her new owner, she couldn't own a home herself, that might give her ideas that she was an equal or something. 

I know it's not a house but wasn't there talk of Jana having bought a commercial property  (the tattoo parlour?) I'm not active in the Duggar real estate thread so I could be wrong though. Regardless I'm happy that Joy was able to take pride in that while being equally perturbed at the patriarchal shit wreck of a culture that she's indoctrinated into. 

5 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

I know it's not a house but wasn't there talk of Jana having bought a commercial property  (the tattoo parlour?) I'm not active in the Duggar real estate thread so I could be wrong though. 

Yes, Jana bought the tattoo parlor in April 2016.

8 hours ago, Thunder said:

Jinger is Kourtney! 

Jessa is Kim because they both have two adorable children and are great at marketing, Joy is Kylie bc pregnant and Jill is Kendall because they both keep doing stupid things and seem to enjoy cultural appropriation :pb_lol: (and I don't know enough about the other Kardashians to do anyone else. But I suppose Michelle would be Kris and Jim Bob would be Caitlyn Jenner, which is funny, although I'd prefer if Dewreck matched up to Cate) 

30 minutes ago, brusselsgriffon said:

Jessa is Kim because they both have two adorable children and are great at marketing, Joy is Kylie bc pregnant and Jill is Kendall because they both keep doing stupid things and seem to enjoy cultural appropriation :pb_lol: (and I don't know enough about the other Kardashians to do anyone else. But I suppose Michelle would be Kris and Jim Bob would be Caitlyn Jenner, which is funny, although I'd prefer if Dewreck matched up to Cate) 

ALL the Kardashians/Jenners are experts at cultural appropriation - not just Kendall. I think the term "culture vulture" has been used to describe them because they do it so often and so blatantly.

It's fine if they have a healthy respect and love for other cultures. But it's ridiculous that they straight up steal ideas from other cultures without giving fair credit and that none of them have ever really spoken up in defense of those cultures or communities - only exception may be one time that Kim spoke up for the black community after one of her children with Kanye West was born. But one time certainly is not enough to erase the years of appropriation.

(Sorry... they just piss me off with that nonsense... I'm coming off the soapbox now... :pb_lol:)

22 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

ALL the Kardashians/Jenners are experts at cultural appropriation - not just Kendall. I think the term "culture vulture" has been used to describe them because they do it so often and so blatantly.

It's fine if they have a healthy respect and love for other cultures. But it's ridiculous that they straight up steal ideas from other cultures without giving fair credit and that none of them have ever really spoken up in defense of those cultures or communities - only exception may be one time that Kim spoke up for the black community after one of her children with Kanye West was born. But one time certainly is not enough to erase the years of appropriation.

(Sorry... they just piss me off with that nonsense... I'm coming off the soapbox now... :pb_lol:)

LOL that's so true. I've just been seeing a lot of clickbait-y articles on Facebook lately about whatever the hell Kendall and Kylie are appropriating lately. I still think that Jill is Kendall but with much worst fashion sense--they both just keep doing really stupid things in the public eye and are not able to realize why the things they do are so stupid or, at the very least, terrible PR moves. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Did Jana buy it or did Jim Bob buy it in her name?

I doubt solely Jana bought it. She probably bought it under the direction of her father. I have a hard time believing that she has 100K in the bank. It’s all probably under their family bank. Wow these kids are privileged. 

28 minutes ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

I doubt solely Jana bought it. She probably bought it under the direction of her father. I have a hard time believing that she has 100K in the bank. It’s all probably under their family bank. Wow these kids are privileged. 

Not really, They have money and things, but they are basically in prison. They can't leave, because if they do they are cut off from everything and everyone they know.

11 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

I just finished watching the most recent episode and it felt like watching Eyore plan a wedding.

That episode drove me CRAZY. My fiance and I are currently planning our wedding. We'll have to wait until Fall 2019 - because we're young and paying for it all ourselves - but we're over the moon excited and looking forward to arranging the perfect day. The fact that Joy was so obviously "I don't care just make me a wife" when countless people (and TLC!) are pitching in to make the day special and as soon as possible after the engagement just seems so selfish. And Joy acting like "oh weddings are so much work, who knew?!" is so ridiculous. She's been to/in how many fundie weddings?! A ton. She knew what was involved, she just didn't want to do it. Ugh.

Austin at least seemed to be trying to get Joy to make decisions.

1 hour ago, brusselsgriffon said:

LOL that's so true. I've just been seeing a lot of clickbait-y articles on Facebook lately about whatever the hell Kendall and Kylie are appropriating lately. I still think that Jill is Kendall but with much worst fashion sense--they both just keep doing really stupid things in the public eye and are not able to realize why the things they do are so stupid or, at the very least, terrible PR moves. 

Lol! Fair enough.

I also should have mentioned that a lot of the Duggars have appropriated other cultures as well, not just Jill. So take my prior outrages statement about the Kardashians, switch a few names and words, and you pretty much get how I feel about the Duggars appropriating other cultures (specifically Jewish culture.)

I hate wedding planning, or any kind of event planning, so I get Joy's attitude. I'm way more decisive nowadays, but I'm also 29. If I'd been trying to plan my wedding at Joy's age, I would've been exactly like her. One of the reasons (albeit a pretty minor one) I'm glad I didn't get married at 19.

@bananabread That may be why Joy is so over it. I've been in and to so many weddings that I view planning ours as a hassle.  I've sat through agonized phone calls of girls torn on the decision of paying an extra 50 cents per chair to have the perfect gold ones, chairs nobody will remember. If I sat down and added up how much I've spent to be in other people's weddings it's probably about the cost of my budget, but that being said we intend on paying for the wedding party attire. 

If I could convince someone to let me go the Jinger and Joy route and the decorations be a surprise, I'd love that! Just show up, be imminently pleased with everything and thankful since it's really tends to be a day more about everyone else than the couple, who's rushing around starving trying to say hi to everyone. 

@singsingsing Exactly! At 19 it would have been all exciting, at 29 I've no desire to explore every option under the sun, been to enough weddings to know what I want/don't want, which vendors will ruin things. I'm glad mr. cascarones is excited about helping, because he's earned himself a long list of things to do!

ETA: I'm not jaded, think we'll really enjoy our day and truly treasure it. Just a little more realistic on the expectations that we'll be happily exhausted and our faces will hurt from smiling.

42 minutes ago, bananabread said:

That episode drove me CRAZY. My fiance and I are currently planning our wedding. We'll have to wait until Fall 2019 - because we're young and paying for it all ourselves - but we're over the moon excited and looking forward to arranging the perfect day. The fact that Joy was so obviously "I don't care just make me a wife" when countless people (and TLC!) are pitching in to make the day special and as soon as possible after the engagement just seems so selfish. And Joy acting like "oh weddings are so much work, who knew?!" is so ridiculous. She's been to/in how many fundie weddings?! A ton. She knew what was involved, she just didn't want to do it. Ugh.

Austin at least seemed to be trying to get Joy to make decisions.

I was like this, and there are plenty of others as well.  The wedding itself seems obnoxious and cumbersome and wasteful for ONE DAY. I'm not saying anything against those wanting a big wedding and all that stuff, but for some of us, waiting 12/18/24 months is just asinine. Why would you put off your future for 2 years? That seems nuts to me, I can't fathom why anyone would want to spend $50k+ for a 1 day event, why? If you are already living together what do you need the fancy party and if you are WAITING to touch each other, why torture yourself?  If you know the person you are marrying is the one for you, just do it.  I think to many people do get caught up in the planning because in the end a wedding is just making you a wife (or a husband)  that is it. If you don't want to rush that or don't want to deal with that then you probably shouldn't be planning a wedding.  A wedding is a 1 day event that some people spend years planning, but marriage is a lifetime and some people want push off thinking about it until after THAT ONE DAY.

Not everyone needs or wants that fuss, there are a lot of people fundy or not that just want to get it done with and get on with life.

Again, I'm just pointing out a different POV on weddings/marriage I know there are people who will read this and say YOU ARE NUTS!  I can't fathom NOT wanting that wonderful special day for x y z...  And for you folks that is fine, but it isn't always sad or rude. Remember when it is YOUR day shouldn't you get to do it YOUR way? Meaning if you want to run off and elope then you should be allowed to run off just as much as you should be allowed to have the big fancy day.

I got married earlier this year and felt pretty indecisive about the details. I knew what kind of food and cake I wanted and what chapel I wanted but the rest was kind of up in the air. My mom planned out all the details and it worked out great. She would check in with me about them but a lot of them I just her decide (like chairs. And table cloths). It was nice that I didn't have to stress out about all the small choices (especially because the wedding took place across the country where my parents live and I'm originally from). I got to go to my wedding and truly enjoy it. I got to see old friends I hadn't seen since I'd moved and it really was a low-stress event (my mom might say otherwise haha). So I get where Joy is coming from but it's a shame they rushed from their reception. Most likely it's the only wedding for those two in their life so why it enjoy it? There's many more years to come to be able to hump on the gulf course. 

If a couple wants a dog and pony show wedding, have at it. The key thing is, the COUPLE should want it, not outside parties.

Never appealed to me personally, I'm frugal and kind of an introvert about some things. Now a nice trip/honeymoon is another thing. I can see splurging a bit here, if the couple is able.

I doubt frugality considerations apply to many of our favorite fundies because they don't pay for their own weddings anyway.

14 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I can't fathom why anyone would want to spend $50k+ for a 1 day event, why? If you are already living together what do you need the fancy party and if you are WAITING to touch each other, why torture yourself?  If you know the person you are marrying is the one for you, just do it.

Just read the torrents of criticism that flow through here when any Duggar gets married. The scrutiny and judgement surrounding weddings in our culture is INSANE. People have lavish ceremonies and receptions and obsess over every little detail because there is incredible social pressure to do it 'right', to treat your guests to one of the most fantastic parties they've ever been to, and to get those 500 Vogue-worthy photos that you can share on Facebook. Anything less, and you're weird, rude, cheap, or God forbid, uncool. Some people genuinely want the huge event, and that's awesome, if that's actually want you want. If you can pay for it, go for it. A lot of people just crack under the social pressure.

40 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I was like this, and there are plenty of others as well.  The wedding itself seems obnoxious and cumbersome and wasteful for ONE DAY. I'm not saying anything against those wanting a big wedding and all that stuff, but for some of us, waiting 12/18/24 months is just asinine. Why would you put off your future for 2 years? That seems nuts to me, I can't fathom why anyone would want to spend $50k+ for a 1 day event, why? If you are already living together what do you need the fancy party and if you are WAITING to touch each other, why torture yourself?  If you know the person you are marrying is the one for you, just do it.

That is SO not representative of our situation, or that of many other couples. We're students. We're in our early 20s. We've been living together for years. We've timed the wedding so it will coincide perfectly with the start of us both working permanent jobs/buying a home/having children and dogs. Our budget will be $30k, tops. I grew up so poor we couldn't afford groceries, and now that I've earned a professional degree and a career, I want the wedding of my dreams. So, in reality, we're not putting off our future. We're timing our wedding so it will be exactly what and when we want it to be. Just to clarify my personal perspective.

My problem isn't with someone not wanting a "big" wedding. That's a personal decision that is no less worthy of respect than mine. What is so frustrating is that I feel like Joy has had all of this handed to her - the budget, the decorating, the helpful family and friends - and didn't seem to appreciate any of it. On the contrary, she seemed to make the process "joyless" for everyone involved. If she wanted a no-frills wedding or elopement, she should have made it happen. There's no excuse for being whiny and ungrateful when other people are trying their hardest to give you a dream wedding.

49 minutes ago, bananabread said:

My problem isn't with someone not wanting a "big" wedding. That's a personal decision that is no less worthy of respect than mine. What is so frustrating is that I feel like Joy has had all of this handed to her - the budget, the decorating, the helpful family and friends - and didn't seem to appreciate any of it. On the contrary, she seemed to make the process "joyless" for everyone involved. If she wanted a no-frills wedding or elopement, she should have made it happen. There's no excuse for being whiny and ungrateful when other people are trying their hardest to give you a dream wedding.

It isn't a dream wedding if it isn't YOUR dream. My dream was just the 2 of us an Elvis Impersonator and a fun weekend.  My parents dream was the whole nine yards.  I came from an upper middle class family, my parents were loaded and when I got engaged my mom wanted to throw a big fancy party. I had an endless budget and things and stuff, I didn't want any of it. My mom did, I just wanted to be married.  In fact it was so far from what I wanted that I had a panic attack in the middle of my reception, from all the stress.  I HATED my wedding, I hated everything about it, my dress, the flowers, the photographer the day, it wasn't for me, it was a big show of wealth for my parents. It wasn't about my husband and I it was about my parents display of prosperity, not sure how wanting OUR do to be OUR way makes us ungrateful just because my parents have money to waste.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived