IGNORED

Joy and Austin 14: Pregnant with Their First

Destiny

I still think my wedding to Mr. Xtian was the best one. 60 bucks, recycled clothes, out for brunch, home for "boom boom" (finally legal) then I went to work and he had reserve duty that weekend. It'll be 19 years legal on 10/30. We are planning a vow renewal for our 20th anniversary...that's a long story but we want to do it for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is it will also be celebrating 5 years since his big surgery, 4 years of total sobriety for him and 3 years since he got his head completely out of his ass and turned into the husband I always wanted. 

The biggest fight I had with the mother was my Confirmation. The best time I had at a Confirmation thing was when I was my "little sister's" sponsor (we're not blood related but we are still tight almost 40 years later). Her mom and dad took us to a Mexican restaurant and kept ordering drinks for us. Margaritas for me and Pina Coladas for her. We get together and raise hell every time she blows into town. 

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wedding was in 1989....in a courthouse in Germany...it was my Ex and me, a translator ( my ex was a US soldier) and two witnesses . The two witnesses were our best friends and got married right after us. My ex was wearing his uniform and I wore a skirt and a blouse. After the ceremony we went to a chinese restaurant with our 2 friends and the next morning we left for 2 weeks of some fun in the sun in Lloret de Mar, in Spain.  We wanted to have a "big" wedding after moving back to the US, but then we had 3 kids in 4 years and life happened....we got divorced in 1995, I moved back to Germany and I am still waiting for my "big" wedding :dance:

I attended the bat Mitzvah of a graduate school friend. She was just developing into her heritage, I don't remember why/how. The service was pretty moving, and while the party was good, it wasn't over the top.

Most of the Bar Mitzvahs I've been to were pretty basic - cheese pizza and board games in the basement of the shul, or a small party at someone's house.  My community also never had Bat Mitzvahs because the Rabbi at the time was taught that women should never speak in shul because to do so was immodest - From what I recall, I don't believe that women in our community were even allowed to touch the Torah scroll, but we were encouraged to read the Tanaka. I don't understand exactly why or if a reason was ever given, I was too busy keeping my head down and trying to avoid drawing attention to myself to really ask the questions. 

That said, the simple Bar Mitzvahs were pretty fun. I do feel bad for the kids and the families who feel pressured to throw elaborate parties to impress others. That just makes it more difficult and stressful for people.  I know one family who spent something like $40K on their son's Bar Mitzvah. It stressed some of the guests because they didn't know what to give for presents and many were reluctant to go because they couldn't afford an appropriate present for such an elaborate affair. I found out later that the family was also massively stretched trying to pay for the event.  I can't help but think that wouldn't have been a very joyful function, but to each their own.

41 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

From what I recall, I don't believe that women in our community were even allowed to touch the Torah scroll, but we were encouraged to read the Tanaka. I don't understand exactly why or if a reason was ever given, I was too busy keeping my head down and trying to avoid drawing attention to myself to really ask the questions.

It's because of niddah (menstrual impurity), IIRC. My community didn't allow over-the-top bat mitzvah parties either - something about immodesty. Bar mitzvahs were allowed to be elaborate, though.

I was raised consertive Jewish. I had a bat Mitzvah and also a party after. I only really remember one over the top party. A classmate of mine had his bar mitzvah party at Giants Stadium. It cost something like $45,000. Keep in mind his kid was the youngest of 3 boys and do to some learning issues he didn't even have his service on a Saturday he had it on a Thursday morning because it was not a full service. While I had my service in front of my family friends and people who came every Saturday for services. 

When I was a little kid (preschool-second grade), I went to a Jewish Day School. It was close to home and not as expensive as the nearest prep school. Even though my family were non-practicing Hindus, we were welcomed. I went to several Bar/Bat Mitzvahs (siblings of my classmates) and was incredibly bummed when my parents told me only Jewish people can have them. My classmates as early as 5 and 6 would talk about what they wanted at their Bat Mitzvahs. When I transferred to public school, none of the kids were Jewish and would plan their weddings. I didn't understand the difference between Jews and non-Jews (they all looked white to me) and I asked them why they were so concerned with their weddings (which may or may not happen) when their Bat Mitzvah would definitely happen at 13.

Just catching up--but regarding Daddy Daughter dance at wedding, I lost my dad in my late teens, so years later I walked myself down the aisle,  (if only he and I knew it, he was right there with me ;) ) and never had a Daddy Daugher dance.  This was many many years ago, and to this day I cannot stay in the room when its that time during a reception without crying my eyes out.  However, I so want to watch my girls dance with thier dad....even if they elope and have a bbq for friends and family afterward, I really want to see that.

Re: Daddy Daughter Dances. In same sex weddings would it be a mommy daughter dance or a daddy son dance? If I got married, I'd probably dance with both of my folks. Then again, my dream big gay wedding would be far from traditional.

I worked at a summer camp for girls between my junior & senior year of college. 99% of the girls were Jewish and from Chicago. They had all the Bar, Bat, and B'Nai Mitzvah swag. Tshirts, pillowcases, photo albums, cups, bags... you name it, they had it. They also had photos of any of the Mitzvahs they had attended since camp the year before. I was this girl from Indiana who probably knew like 1 or 2 Jewish people before I went to work at camp. So, it was very interesting to me. Lots of money was spent on the events. 

In fact, lots of money was spent to send these girls to camp. Some where there the entire summer- 8 weeks. I think it cost around $5000 at the time, which was a lot of money. I just checked and the price is now $8300. That doesn't include the cost of the canteen account ($300) or the roundtrip bus to & from camp ($300) or any spending money for the off camp trips they take to places like The Dells or Mackinac Island. That money, you will of course, deposit in the camper's spending account because campers can't keep cash in the cabins. 

15 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Re: Daddy Daughter Dances. In same sex weddings would it be a mommy daughter dance or a daddy son dance? If I got married, I'd probably dance with both of my folks. Then again, my dream big gay wedding would be far from traditional.

I've seen stuff like that. I find them both funny and sweet. 

Swipe through for some abortion propaganda. 

At least we know she’s 18 weeks based on the size of the fetus, so we can put to rest the silly timing arguments. 

I'm not sure if the torso only photo is actually a thing or just something the Duggar Daughters do... But I'm not loving it. I don't know why... maybe because it makes the bump look a little disconnected from the person? 

Also when I first saw the hashtag westandforlife I read it as west and for life and was really confused I had to search it on Instagram before realizing that it was we stand. 

Firstly, Austin is the most unenthusiastic protester I've ever seen.

Secondly , it took me too long to realise "Westand For Life" was not what that hashtag (I was about to ask you all what product Westand sells!). She and Carlin need to go back to hashtag school for this and "Jesus loves the mall".

29 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Firstly, Austin is the most unenthusiastic protester I've ever seen.

Yeah. I think he's just squinting, but he looks really apathetic.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20171002-001500.thumb.jpg.7fe6716bef948900389815c8902e1442.jpg

All I can do is shake my head. Silly little girl. 

I guess at at least she kind of confirmed how far along she is. Due at the end of February, perhaps early March if my calculations are correct. 

If she's 18 weeks today,  due march 7th, conceived June 14th, pretty much the same as my guess when she announced her pregnancy.

1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

March 9th is my guess.   I have forgotten his dad's name -  but That and Austin for a second name.

Is it already confirmed it is a boy?

I can't understand how so-called Pro-Life Americans aren't campaigning to raise funds for all their fellow-Americans suffering in Puerto Rico right now.  I know people can care for more than 1 thing at once, but it's a classic case of "once they're born, they're on their own".

33 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I can't understand how so-called Pro-Life Americans aren't campaigning to raise funds for all their fellow-Americans suffering in Puerto Rico right now.  I know people can care for more than 1 thing at once, but it's a classic case of "once they're born, they're on their own".

But don't you know 'life offers no guarantees', duh. God just likes rich-by-reality-tv Duggars more than them obviously. And they've done their bit by making sure they were born, because suffering on Earth means rewards in Heaven or something. Not that the Duggars know suffering. So maybe they're going to Hell with me after all?

Dear Joy: Don’t approve of abortions?  Don’t have one.  In the meantime, stay out of other women’s uteruses.

Dear Joy, Austin, and Josiah (the only ones stupid enough to post that they attended a truly worthless protest),

IMG_1981.thumb.JPG.4451f48a95cb4bd0db5e75bcf03b8cc5.JPG

And the other photos from the 100% accurate, in no way biased post:

Spoiler

IMG_1979.PNG.30a18bc01cff1116a80c81f5611b838a.PNG

Spoiler

IMG_1980.PNG.3bc6893bc47534c1aed1a6f77f0771eb.PNG

:pb_rollseyes:

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived