IGNORED

Joy and Austin 14: Pregnant with Their First

Destiny

7 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I recoiled in horror before I realised that you were talking about American scones and not our variety of scones. 

So Flo Bjelke-Peterson's allegedly famous recipe didn't do it for you?

*immediately confuses 95% of forum members*

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Still have a free arm said:

I am allergic to nuts so it always makes me sad when people ruin perfectly good food with nuts. Maybe it keeps my weight down, because I love to eat all the things!I work in A2. I must try this soup.

You should go! I drove 40 minutes out of my way last year to eat this soup. 

I loathe bananas! And I loathe banana-bread!

There, I said it. Come at me! :)

(I know a nice recipe for creamed spinach though, if anyone wants it. No? Okay...)

8 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

Ah, one of the great joys of winter in Canada.... The feeling of the contents of your sinuses freeze drying during the first breath you take outside.... And knowing you can't clutch your face and scream no matter how badly you want to because "at least it's a dry cold" - I hate winter. So ready to move south.

I say this as someone who has rarely experienced temperatures too far below freezing - but I love winter - mild winters anyway. I like red wine and comfort food and cat snuggles and scarves and not having to worry about getting sweaty and yuck.

I live near Sydney, Australia and our winters literally last for six weeks now (apparently it wasn't always that way, and I believe that to be the case). So in that six weeks it *might* get below freezing a couple of days in the early morning, and under double figures celsius (about 50F) during the day a handful of times over winter.

And then we jump straight to summer, or so it seems. The first week of September - the first week of spring - we had a 34 degree (93F) day. I live in a bushfire-prone zone; four years ago we had we fires at this time of the year and it's looking like a repeat - we had almost zero rain over winter and we've been in a high or very high fire danger status for the last week. In early spring. Fuck that shit. It's just as well global warming is a Chinese conspiracy. 

I used to live in Melbourne where at least we got 3 proper months of winter and it stays colder for longer. Proper seasons. Even if they are all in the same day.

58 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

So Flo Bjelke-Peterson's allegedly famous recipe didn't do it for you?

*immediately confuses 95% of forum members*

QUEENSLANDAAAAHHHHHH

I have no problem in Minnesota with the cold and the snow, but the ice. I wish I could move for that alone. I broke my back because of a combination of ice/darkness/sidewalk. My asthma becomes a problem at a certain point, but I don't hang outside except to travel for 2-3 months of the year.

8 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

Ah, one of the great joys of winter in Canada.... The feeling of the contents of your sinuses freeze drying during the first breath you take outside.... And knowing you can't clutch your face and scream no matter how badly you want to because "at least it's a dry cold" - I hate winter. So ready to move south.

Psh, I don't have dry cold. My cold is wet, very very very wet, and you can feel it in the marrow of your bones. Of course we don't get as cold as other places but son of a bitch, I don't think we have to. 

I live in Toronto, which is right on Lake Ontario so it's a damp, unpleasant, chill you to your bones cold.

Saskatoon was a dry, "I am going to freeze to death out here" cold.  While I lived there, I got wicked bad frostbite on one of my ears walking across a parking lot from my place of employ to the bus stop, probably a five minute walk at the most, and I didn't have to wait for the bus!

My dream is to live in Hawaii.

4 hours ago, cascarones said:

Alright dearies, I'm a huge soup fan, love using leftovers in it! Currently in our rotation: tortilla soup (seriously, so good, had it tonight!), hot and sour, smoked pumpkin, lemon orzo, clam and corn chowder, minestrone, lemongrass pho and paprika tomato basil! I'm excited to try the posted recipes. Happy to share any or all recipes, just didn't want to clog the thread!

Would love your hot/sour recipe!  Mmmm, thanks!

2 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

(I know a nice recipe for creamed spinach though, if anyone wants it. No? Okay...)

Actually?  Yes please!

I've been away, so I'm adding some points:

I always thought that when Jill and DErick announced Israel's advent, she was EMBARASSED. First of all, she had to assemble the entire family. WHY? They'd all learn about it eventually. Then she tried to be coy. "I took something." Then JB and Michelle, who HAD to know immediately what it was she took, got all" fearful" that she had stolen something. IT WAS A    PREGNANCY TEST, YOU MORONS. She practically choked when she had to admit it was that. Not everyone has to admit such a thing in front of their parents, only a few weeks after getting married, in front of cameras.

I'm not fond of banana bread. I like bananas, plain. I do not like them in any other form.

I used to have a lovely recipe for zucchini bread which involved grated zucchini, nuts, and oil. It made a lovely dense bread that was divine when toasted and butter spread. Wish I could find it again.

I don't care for snow. It gets more and more difficult to shovel every year.

wild Rice turkey soup from Panera is delicious.

All Y'all need to move down here to central NC.  Some freak out about or 1-2 snow events each year that last about 48 hours; AND we still love banana breads AND soups. 

4 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I hate bananas but love me some banana bread or muffins. 

I'm the same, loathe bananas as the fruit but my banana and blueberry muffins are the dogs bollocks

16 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

@MoonFace, I have made if for so many years i don't follow a recipe but i will give it a try!

In your soup pot saute onion and garlic in some butter until tender. Add around 10 potatoes, peeled and cubed and enough chicken broth to cover then. Cover, bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender- about 20 minutes. Turn down heat to med/low and let it sit for a bit. At this point it shouldn't be too terribly runny- if there is a lot of extra broth you can take some out and pour back in if needed to your desired consistancy. Using a masher mash the potatoes up to what you like. I like it smooth hubby likes chunks. Whoever is doing the mashing gets to decide. Add small tub of sour cream, and about a cup of heavy cream or evaporated milk and stir that all up. Gradually add shredded cheddar- I usually do a block. Then serve it with chives, bacon bits, croutons, whatever floats your boat! Oh! and salt and pepper and sometimes season all or a bit of old bay at some point.

Thank you Fluff (are you from New England?   Fluffernutters are so popular there - or they were when I lived in Vermont)

I appreciate you typing this out - and I love recipes like this rather than ones that say a 1/4 t of this or 1 cup and 3 t of that. 

Many of my recipes include the direction: Until it looks good

Thank you again

I am never prepared for winter. I've lived in Saskatchewan all my life and I've never gotten used to it, lol. We had our first hard frost last week and it seems like summer is officially over. My husband is happy because he hates working in the heat, but I'd happily work in 30 above weather every day.

If I could just curl up in front of the fire with a book and a hot chocolate I might feel differently. I have to be outside to look after my livestock every day, twice a day, no matter how cold. And the colder it gets the longer I have to spend outside because equipment doesn't work properly, water freezes up, I have to move snow and try to keep ice at bay. Yeah, I hate winter. If I didn't have a family and a farm here I would love to move to Australia. I'm even part of a skilled trade and have a company that would sponsor me. I seriously considered it before I met my husband, but my Dad got sick so I never went through with it.

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Psh, I don't have dry cold. My cold is wet, very very very wet, and you can feel it in the marrow of your bones. Of course we don't get as cold as other places but son of a bitch, I don't think we have to. 

I'm in Finland and I HATE wet cold. No matter what garments you wear, you are gonna get so cold. I really dislike those grey, damp, freezing winter days when everything is shrouded in wet fog and snow turns into dirty slush... Dry cold, on the other hand... those freezing, dry, perfect winter days and especially nights with no wind are absolutely beautiful. The sky is deep icy blue at night, the snow sparkles like diamonds, the air is smelling so fresh, and everything looks so tidy under a blanket of snow <3

I have a friend who lives in SoCal, and asks me why I live here with the bad weather.  I said stupid hot and crazy cold, but my 1900 sq foot house on 3/4 of an acre only cost me $155k, and I can drive 17 miles to work in under 1/2 an hour.  What else do I need?

15 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

My husband has had to do some work in the Arctic Circle. It takes him a full 24 hours to get there and 4-5 flights. He has seen a whale being brought in and the town celebrating, polar bear tracks around the site he was working at, and temps so cold liquids freeze before they reach the ground. Crazy, amazing stories. Since he works at a remote site and there are polar bears, I don't enjoy those times he is away but he has seen a lot of really cool things.

When I was a teen, I once tagged along with my father and other military personnel to take "Santa", loads of children's Christmas gifts, and town supplies to a remote village north of the Arctic Circle. Your post reminded me of how amazing the townspeople were, how interesting the cultural program they put on for us was, and also just how much I miss living in Alaska! Sighhhhh.....

It's hilarious how different people like different kinds of cold. I much prefer humid cold any day - but that said, when it gets much below -25, I don't think it much matters. At that point old man winter is just out to fuck everyone up. I live in Alberta, Canada - it's my personal idea of weather hell. Hot, dry and smokey in the summer (although this year the drought has pretty much broken where I live - not so in other areas, which are running out of water), with some vicious wild fires. Cold, dark (go to work and come home in the dark kinda dark) and dry in the winter. The roads are so treacherous I'm afraid to drive, and I have at least one bad fall on black ice every winter. We had our first hard frost last week too - and it already feels like late autumn. I'm quite worried about this winter - just getting over pneumonia and the cold air is really messing with my lungs. I don't know how I'm going to deal with temperatures well below zero.

I'm only here because my mother's health isn't good and I don't feel like I can leave her. In truth, I wish I'd have gone when she wasn't so sick, but c'est la vie. At this point I'm contemplating a move to Central America - possibly Panama, and have started learning Spanish. There's a lady at my work from Mexico who lets me practice on her while she laughs at my accent and tests me by speaking quickly, I can mostly understand her (she's keeping it simple) and she says she can understand me, so that's pretty cool. I have a long way to go, but one day....

3 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

I live in Alberta, Canada - it's my personal idea of weather hell. Hot, dry and smokey in the summer (although this year the drought has pretty much broken where I live - not so in other areas, which are running out of water), with some vicious wild fires. Cold, dark (go to work and come home in the dark kinda dark) and dry in the winter. The roads are so treacherous I'm afraid to drive, and I have at least one bad fall on black ice every winter. We had our first hard frost last week too - and it already feels like late autumn. I'm quite worried about this winter - just getting over pneumonia and the cold air is really messing with my lungs. I don't know how I'm going to deal with temperatures well below zero.

I've lived in Alberta as well, Hinton and Jasper!   

7 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I loathe bananas! And I loathe banana-bread!

There, I said it. Come at me! :)

I love banana bread, but given the option, I'd choose creamed spinach every single time. That sounds so good right now. Kids and I are eating English muffin pizzas. I bet creamed spinach pizza would be so delicious. 

I'm loving this food thread drift! I am going to message a couple of you for recipes!

I live in a very hot climate and have been craving soup all summer! But when it's 110*F outside you don't want hot food! So it has finally cooled off and I'm going to be making one of my favorite recipes. I also add zucchini to it and it's so yummy. I serve it with toasted sourdough cheese bread, which you use as a utensil to eat the soup!
https://www.google.com/amp/www.food.com/amp/recipe/rachael-rays-papa-al-pomodoro-stale-bread-soup-166949

I have always wanted to go to Canada and Alaska. Here in California (at least where I am) it only gets down to freezing a couple nights each winter. I have never felt the true cold some of you have talked about! I have wanted to move to a cold climate for a lot of years now. I've had my heart set on Flagstaff, AZ but hubby got promoted to supervisor at his job and it was too good to walk away from. So, I stay.

48 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

I have always wanted to go to Canada and Alaska. Here in California (at least where I am) it only gets down to freezing a couple nights each winter. I have never felt the true cold some of you have talked about! I have wanted to move to a cold climate for a lot of years now. I've had my heart set on Flagstaff, AZ but hubby got promoted to supervisor at his job and it was too good to walk away from. So, I stay.

I would just visit, it really is over rated after a few months of it.  I have a friend that moved to LA (Cali not Louisiana) right after graduation to go to college and never left.  He will joke on facebook about having to break out the winter coats and someone (most of his family is in MN his parents moved back after his younger sister graduated 3 years after he did) and really likes to give them a hard time.  this year was the 1st year he took his kids to MN in February when his Grandfather died and they were UN AMUSED with the biting cold. His grandfather was from International Falls so Yeah, NO WAY. Going to sunny So. Cal to the MN/Canada boarder, they stayed in Duluth with his parents but had to travel north for the funeral.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived