IGNORED

Joy and Austin 14: Pregnant with Their First

Destiny

10 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I loathe bananas! And I loathe banana-bread!

There, I said it. Come at me! :)

(I know a nice recipe for creamed spinach though, if anyone wants it. No? Okay...)

yes please!

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I would just visit, it really is over rated after a few months of it.  I have a friend that moved to LA (Cali not Louisiana) right after graduation to go to college and never left.  He will joke on facebook about having to break out the winter coats...

For a lot of people, it's not overrated. There are quite a few of us who love the state, the weather, and the never-ending possibility of earthquakes.  CA just has a certain charm...though admittedly, it doesn't work on everyone.

Regarding weather, I have family in San Diego.  When they had family from Arizona visit, the Arizonans sat around in puffy down jackets in the early fall, shivering in the (ahem) chill of the SD evenings.  It's really all relative. 

I am a non-native Californian but I love living in LA. I grew up in the midwest and went to college in the northeast. I thought being depressed for a significant part of the year was "normal." It wasn't until I moved to LA, I realized I had 25 years of undiagnosed S.A.D. 

Mr. Wolf's parents moved from Colorado to San Diego in the winter. People were horrified that the kids were outside playing with no jackets. All relative.

@amandaaries you are so right about cold being subjective. Years ago, a friend and I went on an Alaskan cruise right at the start of the season. We both grew up on the Canadian prairies, and were used to some pretty awful weather. We found Alaska in April to be quite pleasant weather wise - it was way better than what we had left. We were wearing typical spring clothes and jackets. I couldn't get over how many people were wrapped up in layers of down and thick scarves and mittens. The bundled up masses looked at us like we were insane :pb_lol: although a good number quickly clued in to us being crazy Canucks. 

I live about 2.5 hours from the Canadian border, in the mountains.  It gets cold...very very cold!  It seems that we aren't having as much snow as in the past...but the cold still comes :(  I get depressed in September because the cold is coming, and soon!  

On 9/17/2017 at 8:47 PM, Bethella said:

Recipe please?

Fruit ketchup is a Quebec recipe.  It's great with roast chicken, pork or beef, and fantastic with tourtiëre.  The recipe on this site is very close to mom's.  Biggest difference is she probably uses 3x the pickling spice. ;)  I also put the pickling spices in a cheesecloth bag and toss it afterwards.
www.ontariotenderfruit.ca/recipe.php?id=7e4a7y7y6x3y

I grew up in Northern CA (the Bay Area) and left when I joined the military at 18. After that I lived in the South for a year, the Southwest for 2 1/2 years and in Italy for 3 years. We settled in Minnesota and lived for for 10 years before moving to where we live now in Oceania. I have experience all kinds of weather. Personally, I love the Bay Area and the weather there but I don't love the cost of living in that area and my headship hates California so I doubt we will ever move back there.  I really liked Minnesota a lot too, though I never got used to the bitter cold and the snow. Most winters were fine,  but the couple of really bad ones were enough to make me not want to live there again either, though I would totally consider a lake cabin.  We will be moving again in a little less than 2 years so we are starting to think about where we want to settle down until the kids are all out of the house.  I do mostly like where we live now, but living on an island is not something I want for the future. Plus I am tired of  365 day summer already. I think I would like to go back to the Southwest, Dh wants to try the Mid-Atlantic (No. Virginia area).  In any case, I doubt it will be out last move. Dh will be retiring right around the time our youngest graduates high school and once she is settled in college or whatever I think we will start exploring other places. We have determined that we are both pretty nomadic and like moving to new areas. 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Gillyweed said:

I'm guessing Feb 27th officially but for fun since it's my birthday, I think she'll go two weeks late like Jill and give birth on March 15th.

Ahha, the Ides of March.  Could be but I doubt the Duggars know anything about that.

I live in Northern California - not the bay, the north valley, and its hot as balls from May to October. Like between 90 and 120. This week, its in the 70's. We are busting out the winter clothes lol!!!

I used to hate the cold weather. I hated being cold. Always buried under tons of blankets wearing sweats. My mom was the complete opposite and got hot really easy so the house was usually really cold. She'd have her window open in the winter when it was 20 degrees, 10 degrees or lower with the fan going. I couldn't wait to move into my own house where I could control the thermostat which I did. It was nice having a warmer house. Medical problems for my mother and I switched that completely on us. She's now the one who's always cold, turning the heat up and has tons of blankets on her. I'm the one who's always hot and keeping my window open when its freezing. Heat makes my medical problems worse, where the cold often makes things better. 

Sorry to cut into the food and Cali talking, because I do love food, and I don't mind Cali, but I just want to say, that if Joy has her baby on my birthday, February 12th, She had better name it after me. I don't care if it's a boy. Okay, now, a recipe with chocolate, and go!

Sporting a dark red with glitter gel manicure these days.

Hate cold weather, glad I live in the desert now. 

Going to make chili for the church pot luck next weekend. I made up the recipe myself...it's yummy. 

4 hours ago, amandaaries said:

For a lot of people, it's not overrated. There are quite a few of us who love the state, the weather, and the never-ending possibility of earthquakes.  CA just has a certain charm...though admittedly, it doesn't work on everyone.

Regarding weather, I have family in San Diego.  When they had family from Arizona visit, the Arizonans sat around in puffy down jackets in the early fall, shivering in the (ahem) chill of the SD evenings.  It's really all relative. 

I was commenting on the poster who was wanting to live in a state with winter, I suggested she visit, as winter is over rated, not sunny and 72 360 days a year. 

I dislike summer/hot weather, and really love winter.

I like cold until it gets below 0F.  Then I get a little nervous, which switches to a lot nervous when it's lower than -10F.

Where I live we hit that lower threshhold most years, but only for about a week or maybe two of nighttime lows.  Lots of single-digits above zero, and teens above.  That's pretty comfortable/enjoyable to me.

Not thrilled with wind though, especially together with the super cold.

My main objection with winter here (inland intermountain high desert of western US) is I want more snow.  We get frequent dustings, but anything more than about two inches is pretty unusual.  I like my snow to arrive in feet!

Speaking of cold being subjective, I always get a good giggle at American and some European tourists around here during the end of August and beginning of September. They all seem to walk around in heavy coats and boots meanwhile all the natives just walk around in jumpers and light jackets and trainers/sandals :pb_lol:

To me it's not very cold, definitely not cold enough for anything heavier than a light raincoat. It's only around 7-15 degrees (Celsius) so 44-59 Fahrenheit which everyone around here basically considers mild :pb_lol:

On 9/17/2017 at 8:16 PM, fluffernutter said:

I love making soups. Chili, chicken corn, lentil, baked potato soups. Yummm. With lots of fixings and toppings and rolls or a baguette. And pumpkin pie for dessert because FALL!!! LOVE soup! One i want to make but haven't mastered is a butternut squash soup. Made one last year and it was sweet. It was weird. Anyone have a good butternut squash recipe?

I think lots and lots of ground black pepper is the secret. And chicken stock rather than plain water. Did your recipe include carrots? I always find carrot soup is sweet, and therefore gross to me.

As everyone else said, weather really is subjective. My hubby is Canadian (like, more northern Canada than most Canadians) and I was born and raised in far west Texas Chihuahuan desert. The first time I went to visit him was in January. I stepped out of the airport, immediately had a full on panic attack and ran back inside sobbing that we'd have to break up because I was going home and would never step foot in that frozen hell hole again. He was able to coax me out to the car with two parkas and three beanies and in the last ten years Canada has grown on me and I love it dearly but I still couldn't live there. Mild winter days still register as pain and panic. The dear man moved south for me and burns and suffers from March to October :( hoping to find somewhere more moderate we can both stand in the next couple of years.

@fluffernutter I love butternut squash soup! My in laws gave us about 10 butternut squashes last year and I tried a couple different recipes before falling in love with this one: http://damndelicious.net/2014/12/10/roasted-butternut-squash-bacon-soup/

It uses roasted butternut squash and has onions and peppers, so that really helps balance the flavor. Then You top it with bacon, so you've got a salty element in there too. 

2 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Speaking of cold being subjective, I always get a good giggle at American and some European tourists around here during the end of August and beginning of September. They all seem to walk around in heavy coats and boots meanwhile all the natives just walk around in jumpers and light jackets and trainers/sandals :pb_lol:

To me it's not very cold, definitely not cold enough for anything heavier than a light raincoat. It's only around 7-15 degrees (Celsius) so 44-59 Fahrenheit which everyone around here basically considers mild :pb_lol:

That is because it has been about 1000 Fahrenheit over here for months anything under 72 feels cold in March/April that is swimsuit weather for us northern/Midwestern folk. :pb_lol:

Thanks for sharing, @theotherelise! I will make that next week for sure!

3 hours ago, BobTheWalrus said:

I think lots and lots of ground black pepper is the secret. And chicken stock rather than plain water. Did your recipe include carrots? I always find carrot soup is sweet, and therefore gross to me.

The only soup I put carrots in is chicken corn soup. And it's not a ton of them. Def more onions and celery.

@church_of_dog Here you go for hot and sour, it's his family version so little differences from takeout. Let me know if it doesn't make sense, I learned it from his Mum by watching. Recipe under the spoiler, for our mobile friends!

Spoiler

Hot and Sour

Notes: This is how my MIL makes it, so it’s more of Beijing style and gives about 6 servings if eaten as part of meal, not the main star. We make our own stock each week (lemongrass ginger is on the stove at this moment), so taste varies, but for the sake of this recipe I’ll go off the kind you can buy at the store.

Ingredients:

2 quarts Chinese stock, vegetable or chicken, or pho broth.

OR

2 quarts chicken stock and ingredients with an *

1 tablespoon oil or butter, for sautéing

*half an onion, finely chopped

*1 carrot, shredded (optional)

*2 cups chopped cabbage (optional)

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed

1 thumb sized hunk of ginger, peeled and chopped

1 can bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained

1/2 can baby corn, rinsed and drained (optional)

½ can water chestnuts, rinsed and drained (optional)

6 shitake or wood ear mushrooms, fresh or reconstituted as directed (boil water, pour over mushrooms and let sit for 20 minutes and check for rocks/hard spots)

1 block tofu, drained and cubed (to drain, place lightly salted tofu between paper towels and gently press out water and let sit for 10 minutes)

¼ cup cooked shredded meat, pork or chicken (optional and customization two ways)

1-2 tablespoons Asian chili garlic paste (the green top plastic one you see at most restaurants, can be substituted with sriracha if desired)

¼ cup rice vinegar

1/3 cup soy sauce (1/4 if broth already has sodium)

Sprinkle of sugar

1 teaspoon ground pepper (white or black)

A few pinches of ground Szechuan peppercorns (optional, but I like it spicy)

3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved ¼ cup water

1 – 2 eggs, lightly beaten (depends on how much you like the eggy bits)

1 bunch green onions, chopped for garnish

Step 1: Take shiitake mushrooms and prepare as package directs (rehydrated in warm water for 20 min), check for hard spots and rocks. Chop if desired. Follow tofu package draining instructions and cube.

Step 2: In a medium sized pot heat oil on medium and saute onions*, cabbage*, carrot*, bamboo shoots and mushrooms until fragrant. Add garlic, chili paste, ginger and shredded meat saute until very fragrant. For a more filling version, include baby corn and water chestnuts.

Step 3: Add 2 quarts chicken stock, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for at least 10 minutes. Taste at 10 minutes and add more vinegar or chili paste to your palate.

Step 4: While soup is simmering, prepare cornstarch and beat eggs, then add tofu and cook for 3-5 minutes until desired tofu consistency is reached.

Step 5: Add cornstarch mixture and simmer until soup has thickened.

Step 6: Remove from heat and stir vigorously clockwise until you’ve created a current that looks like a whirlpool. Then slowly pour in the beaten eggs and watch them feather. (If you’re cooking with kids, they love this part).

Step 7: If customizing meat amounts, add shredded meat to each bowl before ladling. Serve immediately with chopped green onions on top.

Notes on serving: Everything including the tofu and mushrooms can be prepared ahead of time. For us, it’s a quick and easy dinner, especially if he’s had a large lunch. I serve with scallion pancakes for dipping (recipe here, they also freeze really well), dumplings or pork buns and vegetables/ salad. It works well in a dim sum style meal if you’ve got a few different diets.

Other notes: Most pho places will sell you just the broth for cheap, here at least it's about the same price as generic chicken broth at the grocery store. It's roughly a dollar per quart here and I can get myself a summer roll for lunch!

Someone on tumblr mentioned that Austin said that if they didn't finish the house before the wedding, they would live in an camper. Maybe this explains why the first bump picture form joy was taken in an RV.

On 18 September 2017 at 1:32 AM, adidas said:

Does this count as having nuts in my banana bread?

http://thebakermama.com/recipes/nutella-swirled-banana-bread/

Two things: I hate the word moist (ugh) and I hate that you have to scroll through the blogger's life story to get to the recipe. Just tell me how to bake it!

I hate the words moist and nurture, also nutritional. Weird. 

15 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

Personally, I love the Bay Area and the weather there but I don't love the cost of living in that area and my headship hates California so I doubt we will ever move back there.

I Love the bay area as well! I have lived out in Redwood City (have you heard of it? pretty much right between SF and San Jose) I have worked out there the past 2 summers, and I love it so much.  I wish the price of living wasn't so high because I can't see myself being able to afford to live there at all, even with renting a house or apartment.  it's so expensive!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived