IGNORED

Anna, Josh, & the Ever Multiplying M Kids, Part 12: Babywatch Continues

Destiny

Just now, Fluffles said:

Hi Guys, I'm a fluent Irish speaker - have just returned from an emersion course in the Gaeltacht (what we call our Irish speaking regions) and am still thinking in Irish, so any questions re pronounciation of Irish names, just ask. 

As for Seán, it is pronounced Shawn as in lawn. If you pronounce it Shan, it means "old" in Irish. The line over vowels always makes them longer. HTH

His name was definitely pronounced Shan and his parents were both from the Gaeltacht so they knew what they were doing. That's how he and his parents and subsequently everyone who knew him pronounced it 

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

His name was definitely pronounced Shan and his parents were both from the Gaeltacht so they knew what they were doing. That's how he and his parents and subsequently everyone who knew him pronounced it 

I have a little boy called Seán myself and that's how its always   pronounced in Munster Irish. Shan sounds like how Americans pronounce it when they don't know about the Fada over the a.

On 7/30/2017 at 10:52 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

My my sister's niece is called Coaimhe, pronounced keeva, a femine form of Kevin. I hadn't heard of the name until my sister met her partner but it's becoming common here. Irish Gaelic and Scottish Galic names are becoming popular in central Scotland now. Some names I'm have trouble pronouncing, I better get practicing as I plan on being a History teacher when I graduate.

Go to the website www.teangalann.ie and there is a section where you can hear Irish words pronounced in different dialects

On 7/31/2017 at 2:10 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

My friend named her daughter Aiofe. I struggled and struggled. I still don't understand the letter sounds. Cymraeg is difficult enough! 

Aoi is pronounced ee and fe is pronounced as in fed

2 minutes ago, Fluffles said:

I have a little boy called Seán myself and that's how its always   pronounced in Munster Irish. Shan sounds like how Americans pronounce it when they don't know about the Fada over the a.

I'm from Northern Ireland not America so I can assure you that it isn't a case of an American mispronouncing or mixing up the Fada. 

This guys family spoke only Irish at home  and they pronounced his name Shan and spelled it Seán. I just went on Facebook to check I had the fada right and that's how it's spelled. 

On 7/31/2017 at 10:53 AM, ShadowCat said:

@EmainMachaYep, it's still the 6:01 News and the Angelus is called something else now like A reflection or a moment of contemplation. We all still call it the Angelus though and it's like the tea time bell

@SassyPants My Róisín is also called Rosie or Ro or Ruby Doobs. She was called after her midwife because we had nothing prepared.... 2nd child and all of that. I really wanted to call her Ruby but if I had done that she'd be named after a very famous male jockey of the same first and surname :) 

I have two friends up on the North coast who speak Irish at home. Herself is principal in a Gaelscoil and Himself works in the community to help others who wish to learn the language. I can't get my head around Ulster Gaelige, You all seem to have a thing against pronouncing fadas (accents over vowels) ;)

All this talk has really made me want to pick up Peig again (a much maligned book that we all had to study in Irish class up until the mid to late 90's, about a misfortune of a woman from the Blasket islands, off Kerry) 

Everyone thinks Ulster Irish is weird - we call it China land as no one down south can understand it.

Aah I remeber Peig well - she wasnt as bad as what people made her out to be. I paid a visit to the Blaskets during my Gaeltacht trip and it was like a trip down memory lane. There are lots of great writers from that island, not just Peig. 

5 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I'm from Northern Ireland not America so I can assure you that it isn't a case of an American mispronouncing or mixing up the Fada. 

This guys family spoke only Irish at home  and they pronounced his name Shan and spelled it Seán. I just went on Facebook to check I had the fada right and that's how it's spelled. 

Do you know what part of Ireland his parents were from? It might have a different pronounciation in Ulster.

20 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My friend's (now absent) father of Irish decent felt adamant about naming her Siobhaun. She recently learned that there was never supposed to be a "u" in the name and now really resents the fact that said absent father messed up her name.

It is spelt Siobhán in Ireland. Maybe he put in the u as that would give it the same pronounciation without using a fada?

5 minutes ago, Fluffles said:

(snip)

Do you know what part of Ireland his parents were from? It might have a different pronounciation in Ulster.

Donegal as far as I know 

On 7/30/2017 at 7:19 AM, catlady said:

several years ago, i read a book where one of the characters was Aoife; like @Karma, my American brain couldn't handle it either.  i ended up looking it up online, which told me it was kind of like Eva. 

The Iron Codex series? (And I think it was "Ee-fay") 

ETA: someone above says it's "Ee-feh")

14 hours ago, Pinkdrink said:

I really struggle with ulster dialect,  because they don't pronounce fades words have totally different meanings and you have to think of the context of the sentence. 

You've brought up serious memories about peig sayers, Im from quite close to there so all the blasket island books remind me of my childhood as well as jimin :content:

Its a beautiful part of the country, Pinkdrink. I stayed near Baile na nGall myself. My trip back there has renewed my love of all those books from the Blaskets that I read years ago. Bought " A pity youth does not last" written by Peig Sayers son. Its a lovely read.

As for hating names, I've hated mine for a verrry long time. I didn't realize it was different, because I grew up in a small place. When I went to university, people started asking me "Oh where did you get it?" The standard answer now is "My parents. Where did you get yours?" 

4 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Donegal as far as I know 

Aah that explains it. As someone else already said, they dont tend to pronounce the "fada" up there, so it would definitely give a different prnounciation to it.

This thread drift is definitely more my style than the Dillard VBAC/birth horrors/did-Jill-have-a-stroke one. Yay - thanks!  :content:

Spoiler

M Kid Number 5 Birth Pool

Names:

Gabriel Matthew- shock928 (wildcard)

James Alexander Malcolm Mackynzie- AuntCloud

James Robert “Little Jim Bob”- Mela99

Maccabee Joshua- Lurker

Machiah- aprilx(2)

Machias- Lizzybet

Machiavelli- onekidanddone

Macon- IReallyAmHopewell(4)

Madison Ashley-  Glasgowghril, twoanddone

Maddox- ihaveanexamintwodays, flycat

Magruder- Georgiana

Makepeace-Snarkangel Gabriel

Malachi- singsingsing, clueless, mango_fandango, bananabread, aprilx, IReallyAmHopewell(2)

Malachi Daniel- WiseGirl

Malachi Joshua- MayMay1123

Malachi Judah- GoddessOfVictory

Malachi Nathaniel- eveandadam

Malachi Robert- Dogalog

Malakai Joshua- Million Children for Jesus (1)

Malcolm- ihaveaneamintwodays, Gillyweed

Malcolm Garrett- Taylurker

Malcolm Joshua- SassyPants

Malcolm Reynolds- tabitha2 (You can’t take the sky from him! :D )

Manahethites- Knight of Ni

Manasseh Joshua- hollyandivy

Mannis- MadeItOut(1)

Manuel Christopher- freshlemonade

Mark- TeamDeFraudinSquad

Mark David- PainfullyAware

Mark Isaiah- tsukinokawa

Marmaduke JimBob- SapphireSlytherin

Marshall Joshua- Berty K

Martin- singsingsing (wildcard), VelociRapture(3), albanuadh_1(2)

Martin James- Markie, Melissa1977

Martin Robert- Kelsey (2)

Marvin- Greendoor

Martyn- MadeItOut(2)

Martyn Luther- meee

Mason- Markie(3), ihaveanexamintwodays, singsingsing, VelociRapture (1), nickelodeon, MayTheWilberforceBeWithYou, IReallyAmHopewell(3)

Mason Alexander- Pinkdrink

Mason Daniel- Rachel333

Mason James- Berta McGee

Mason Joshua- pook, Jatalie1996 JDuggs          

Mason Robert- Kelsey, HRM1216 (2)

Mathias Joshua- wikinggirl, Ding Dong Duggar,

Mathius Joshua- Indigo

Matthias- KelseyAnn

Matthias Daniel- tabitha2

Matthew- Markie(2), singsingsing, HarleyQuinn, albanuadh_1(1), JordynDarby5, Daisy0322, frugalitymom, AlwaysExcited, TeamDefraudinSquad(2), IReallyAmHopewell (1), JMO, ihaveanexamintwodays, GnomeCat

Matthew Asher- Chewing Gum

Matthew Caleb- Million Children For Jesus(1)

Matthew David- VixenToast

Matthew Dobson- Dandruff

Matthew Hosea- The Wanderer

Matthew Isaiah- SorenaJ, anaandrade, sadiZ

Matthew Jacob- Sydney Fox

Matthew James- sadiZ, VeryNikeSeamstress, ChunkyBarbie, Kaylo

Matthew John- NewSeasonOfLife

Matthew Joseph- RhythmicSkater

Matthew Joshua- JermajestyDuggar, anjulibai, Glasgowghirl, jerkit, viii, HRM1216. TuringMachine, Phoenix, kachuu, albireo, Chicken bones, JPickleDuggar, CarrotCake,

Matthew Lazarus- gilora

Matthew Lee- RosyDaisy

Matthew Keller- purjolok84

Matthew Micah- ExposedKnees

Matthew Noah- Miggy

Matthew Paul- AlwaysExcited (1)

Matthew Rene- purjolok84(1)

Matthew Robert- marmalade, VelociRapture, mango_fandango, adidas, season of life, AlwaysExcited(2)

Matthew Thomas- Fluffypaws

Matthew Zachary- Million Children For Jesus (3), Wenny

Maurice Luke- Teacup

Maxon James- Chicken bones

Maverick- Honeysuckle

Max- onekidanddone

Maxwell Joshua- MotherOfDragons

Maxwell Robert- Glasgowghirl  

Mea Culpa- CinnaJen

Megatron- MadeItOut(3)

Melchizedek- Audrey2

Melvin Issac- itqitc

Mepibostheth- Audrey2

Mephistopheles Rufus- uber frau

Merrick John- Quiver Full of Kittens

Meshach- KnittingOwl

Messiah Joshua- Jane M.

Metatron- MadeItOut(3 actually but I’m leaving Megatron because it tickles my funny bone! :P )

Methuselah- Audrey2

Micah- KelseyAnn (2), candygirl200413

Micah Keller- Ms Lucy Fur

Micah Matthew- shock928

Micah Justice- SadieJane

Miles- singsingsing (wildcard), JoyJoy

Miles Gabriel- Suz8710

Milo-  So-Virgin-It-Hurts

Mingus- TeddyBonkers

Mitchell- IREallyAmHopewell(5)

Mitchell Joshua- Kangaroo

Mitchell Robert- Gobsmacked

Mobert Mame- Pasta

Monroe Joshua- jegfile

Morgan Clement- habert

Morgan Freeman- dpndetfarm

Mortimer Chance- Hortense Peyrac

Moses- Carm_88, VelociRapture (2), Georgiana

Moses Joshua- pamplemousse

Moshe Joshua- OyToTheVey, Jaedzia,

Myles David- InTheNameOfRufus

Myles Joshua- TeaGrannie

Nathaniel Daniel- MissKnowItAll

Phoenix Robert- neurogirl

Robert- Bad Wolf

William Matthew- NeverBeenKissed

William Zachery- MissKnowItAll

Date:

July 19th- season of life

July 20th- AlwaysExcited

July 21st- Miggy

July 24th- NewSeasonOfLife

July 25th- eveandadam, hollyandivy

July 27th- Fluffypaws, jegfile

July 28th- Million Children For Jesus, CinnaJen

July 29th- Taylurker

July 30th- Quiver Full of Kittens, Chicken bones

July 31st- Vixen Toast, kachuu, Berta McGee

August 1st- The Wanderer, tabitha2

August 2nd- habert, adidas, Honeysuckle, ExposedKnees, SassyPants, flycat, sadiZ

August 3rd- Jatalie1996, MayMay112, OyToTheVey, GoddessOfVictory

August 4th- Kelsey, wikinggirl, ihaveanexamintwodays

August 5th- sadiZ, Hortense Peyrac, JoyJoy, meee

August 6th- JMO, SadieJane

Late Night August 5th/Early August 6th- VeryNikeSeamstress

Late Night August 6th/Early August 7th- MadeItOut

August 7th- Markie, freshlemonade, Daisy0322, WiseGirl, Jaedzia

August 8th- JDuggs, Gobsmacked, viii, pook (2:11am), TuringMachine, candygirl200413, Sydney Fox, Ding Dong Duggar, Berty K, pamplemousse, Indigo

August 9th- aprilx, RosyDaisy, gilora

August 10th- anaandrade, Lurker, TeamDefraudinSquad, TeaGrannie, Pinkdrink, JPickleDuggar

August 11th- JordynDarby5, Gillyweed, TeamDefraudinSquad, Jane M

August 12th- neurogirl, Kaylo, CarrotCake

August 13th- MissKnowItAll, Suz8710

August 14th- JermajestyDuggar, Lizzybet

August 15th- itqitc, So-Virgin-It-Hurts, albanuadh_1, SapphireSlytherin

August 16th- HRM1216

August 17th- Bad Wolf

August 18th- dpndetfarm

August 19th- Rachel333, SorenaJ, ChunkyBarbie, uber frau

August 20th- Phoenix

August 21st at 2am- KelseyAnn

August 22nd- Carm_88

August 24th- MayTheWilberforceBeWithYou

August 25th- InTheNameOfRufus

August 27th- tsukinokawa

August 28th- anjulibai

September 3rd- Chewing Gum

September 5th- frugalitymom

September 13th- Kangaroo

Weight

7lbs 3oz- viii, Wenny

7lbs 6oz- OyToTheVey

7lbs 7oz- MissKnowItAll, Jaedzia

7lbs 8oz- MadeItOut, WiseGirl, candygirl200413

7lbs 9oz- jerkit, pook

7lbs 10oz- InTheNameOfRufus

7lbs 12oz- Quiver Full of Kittens, Berta McGee, Pinkdrink

7lbs 14oz- freshlemonade, SadieJane

7lbs 15oz- Lizzybet

8lbs- JermajestyDuggar, habert, anaandrade, So-Virgin-It-Hurts, albanuadh_1, AlwaysExcited, Jane M., ihaveanexamintwodays

8lbs 1 oz- Rachel33, MayTheWilberforceBeWithYou, HRM1216, CinnaJen, JMO, meee

8lbs 2oz- adidas, Chewing Gum, flycat

8lbs 3oz- Daisy0322, Jatalie1996, Gillyweed, Bad Wolf, Gobsmacked, MayMay1123, gilora

8 lbs 4oz- Sorenaj, The Wanderer, anjulibai, itqitc, VeryNikeSeamstress, RosyDaisy, Ding Dong Duggar, Kaylo, JPickleDuggar

8lbs 5oz- Carm_88, aprilx, hollyandivy, jegfile, SassyPants

8lbs 6oz- NewSeasonOfLife, Suz8710, Kangaroo

8lbs 7oz- dpndetfarm, Sydney Fox

8lbs 8oz- JDuggs, ExposedKnees, TuringMachine, Fluffypaws, pamplemousse, uber frau

8lbs 9oz- Taylurker, TeamDefraudinSquad, GoddessofVictory

8lbs 10oz- Markie, Lurker, season of life, ChunkyBarbie

8lbs 11oz- Million Children For Jesus

8lbs 13oz- TeaGrannie                                           

9lbs 1oz- VixenToast, tabitha2

9lbs 2oz- PainfullyAware

9lbs 6oz- Indigo

9lbs 9oz- sadiZ

8 pound range- KelseyAnn

Length

19 inches- MayTheWilberforceBeWithYou, gilora, Wenny

19.5 inches- sadiZ

20 inches- anaandrade, Jane M., ChunkyBarbie, ihaveanexamintwodays, Ding Dong Duggar, Pinkdrink, JPickleDuggar

20.5 inches- AlwaysExcited, HRM1216

21 inches- The Wanderer, Gobsmacked, Lurker, itqitc, viii, Taylurker, pook, Fluffypaws, Sydney Fox, SassyPants, Kaylo, SadieJane

21.5 inches- Million Children For Jesus, pamplemousse

22 inches- Daisy0322, Quiver Full of Kittens, VixenToast, Indigo

When They Will Announce

A week after he is born- Wenny

Within a Day- MadeItOut

I totally forgot to post this yesterday! :P As always, the dates are crossed off as they pass, if they choose to delay an announcement, we will figure it out. 

4 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

The Iron Codex series? (And I think it was "Ee-fay") 

ETA: someone above says it's "Ee-feh")

No, it was a short story by Roddy Doyle; I can't remember the title, but it was a sequel to The Commitments. Aoife was Jimmy Rabbitte's wife. 

Where's M5??  I'm still in the running but that babe is on warning to come out. :lol:

To add to the discussion, I chose the Irish spelling for my daughter's name (both because I liked it and as a nod to my heritage).  Well, turns out no one can pronounce it.  Sigh. Everyone asks how to pronounce it and frequently forgets after.  The pediatrician even wrote the wrong pronunciation in her chart (after asking me how to pronounce it).  Luckily I changed that.  

An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an lethreas, más é do thoil?

A phrase any of us educated by the dreaded nuns of the 70's and 80's will never forget, whether we speak Gaelige now or not :evil-laugh:

Man, I keep forgetting that Anna is expecting! They are really keeping this pregnancy quiet (for obvious reasons).

Shan is definitely the wrong pronunciation for Seàn, sean means old and is pronounced shan so I don't know why they pronounce it that way but ulster irish is a language all of its own because of the Scottish influence so who knows?

Because irish is only spoken in pockets around the country, it's hard to understand local 'slang' of other gaeltacht areas so threshold a bit of that as well.

People from my area would be quite snobbish about using 'correct' irish and would hate all the modern words coming through but irish is an evolving language so words do change in....if you went into a pub by us and ordered a fuiscì (whiskey) they would ignore you until you ordered an uisce beatha:content:

My vote is for Malachi or some spelling there of. I find myself asking really? quite a lot when it comes to the Duggars but naming this baby Malachi would be a wonderful Duggar absurdity. The Book of Malachi's prophecy is very short but a large portion of it deals with adultery... I  am against the child being named this but it's the Duggars.   

Shan for Seán could well be Ulster. I remember the mná tí in Gaoith Dobhair and their families never pronounced a fada and tá was taaa. Makes sense to me. 

God if this discussion must be so alien to 90% of posters. Skim skim skim :my_biggrin:

I'm sticking with my guess of Matthew Dobson, but kind of hope they choose something more unexpected like Marshall or Max.

If it's not too late to guess I'll go with Matthew Aaron.  I'm going for August 10th.  He'll be a big baby, over 9 pounds and 23 inches.  They'll announce a few days after.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:22 PM, Eternalbluepearl said:

I wonder why some fundies do name themes at all? Even if I was going to name eleventy billion children, I wouldn't want to feel restricted by a certain first letter I had vowed only to use. It's kind of silly. My siblings and I don't need matching first names. We are our own individual people. 

This is so they have a jumping off point, ya know all Michelle would have to do is start off with the "J" sound and either she would hit on it or someone else would throw it out there for her. Same with Anna now, just don't have to think too hard to call a kid.......................

3 hours ago, Irishy said:

Shan for Seán could well be Ulster. I remember the mná tí in Gaoith Dobhair and their families never pronounced a fada and tá was taaa. Makes sense to me. 

God if this discussion must be so alien to 90% of posters. Skim skim skim :my_biggrin:

Are you kidding, I love this. 1000x more interesting than babywatch.

I admit I have the hardest time with Irish names. My brain sees the Latin alphabet and wants so hard to pronounce it like it's English. I've only ever managed to remember Samhain is Sow-in. For the longest time I said Sam-hane. :my_confused:

I don't have terribly much to contribute to the Irish names discussion except that I'm with @ViolaSebastian on this.  I try but I just can't wrap my head around how to pronounce most of the names! 

I had a student last semester named Eoin, which I looked up the pronunciation of before the semester started so I could get it correct right off the bat.  Lo and behold, I incorrectly called him "Ian" instead of "Owen" on the first day of class :my_sad:

On 7/29/2017 at 1:46 PM, melon said:

I have a one eyed cat!His name is Boots.

We have a one eyed kitty, too. She wears it well- such a pretty old lady cat!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived