IGNORED

Anna, Josh, & the Ever Multiplying M Kids, Part 12: Babywatch Continues

Destiny

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

How about Wolf Duggar or Bad Duggar. No?

Bad Duggar is just Josh, though... although actually "bad" is far too mild a term.

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

I used to have cats named Lightning (she was fast), Thunder (Lightning's sister), Storm (all black), & Weather.  Lightning only had one eye so we started spelling her name Lightnng.

I have a one eyed cat!His name is Boots.We have Lulu,Mimi,Leo,Shadow and Tebo...I hate the last name.Mr Melon came up with it,he is not named after TimTebow.

My own little darlings are called Caoilfionn  (kay-linn), Eoghan (o-wen), Saidhbh (s-eye-v), Orlaith (oar-la), Chullainn (cull-an) and Aoibhe  (ava). God love them when they're old enough to go to Starbucks! 

I absolutely love those names. We have friends that are originally from Ireland and their children/grandchildren have the most beautiful names.

26 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

If had a daughter I think I would have used Siobhan.  Such a pretty sound - Shiv-awn.  

That's actually my mams name! It means Joan 

16 hours ago, SassyPants said:

My husband's family is from Ireland. His cousin has twin girls,  and one of them is named Jenny, and the other one has an Irish (Gaelic? name). I think it might be the feminine form of Kevin? I don't know. They do live in Dublin, so maybe it's easier. I always felt sorry for not-Jenny.

Would it be Caoímhe? Pronounced Kee-va or Quee-va depending on the area

eta: sorry premature posting, I see it's been answered once or twice already lol

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

Are there Starbucks in the Gaeiltacht yet? That'd do it.

Starbucks hasn't quite made it to the south west of Ireland yet.......but I'd say it's only a matter of time :content:

15 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

as they must remain virgin cocktails.

And Shirley Temple and Roy Rogers have already been used...

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Can't have Curious Duggar though. Although that would be quite funny/ironic come to think of it...

Well, you could, but then you'd have to wide eyed, terribly earnestly, with a baby voice, explain that it's the really, proper, alternative meaning of 'odd', not the popular, secular, 'adventurous and enquiring' that sinful minds seem to think. ;)

5 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

. It is old and clunky but I can't afford to replace it.

Sounds like a Beryl. No idea why.

2 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Well, you could, but then you'd have to wide eyed, terribly earnestly, with a baby voice, explain that it's the really, proper, alternative meaning of 'odd', not the popular, secular, adventurous and enquiring that sinful minds seem to think. ;)

Curious to constantly learn more about Jesus/the bible as they can perhaps? 

1 hour ago, Pinkdrink said:

That's actually my mams name! It means Joan 

Same root as Sean linguistically?

1 hour ago, Pinkdrink said:

Starbucks hasn't quite made it to the south west of Ireland yet.......but I'd say it's only a matter of time :content:

We haven't got one in Westmeath yet (at least if we have, I'm a blind eejit), so you're good a while yet.

7 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Curious to constantly learn more about Jesus/the bible as they can perhaps? 

Ooo good spin! ;)

4 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Same root as Sean linguistically?

Yep,the letter j doesn't really feature in irish either so all the j  names begin with s  as gaeilge. Sean/John, seamus/James,  siobhan/joan, sinead/Jane,  shoshanna/Joanna,  seosaph/joseph, sile/julie, that's all I can think of now:content:

6 minutes ago, Pinkdrink said:

Yep,the letter j doesn't really feature in irish either so all the j  names begin with s  as gaeilge. Sean/John, seamus/James,  siobhan/joan, sinead/Jane,  shoshanna/Joanna,  seosaph/joseph, sile/julie, that's all I can think of now:content:

I seriously struggle as gaeilge. I had some Cornish, which is the other form and really not helpful. I'm getting there (9years in), but I struggle with the written.

I do have one surprisingly useful sentence though:

Ta na mna ig ol (missing a foda or two I think?)

...along the lines of 'the ladies are drinking'.

I'm also told I have a heavy accent signing (I have BSL, not ISL - can't get my head round that yet!)

11 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

I do have one surprisingly useful sentence though:

Ta na mna ig ol (missing a foda or two I think?)

...along the lines of 'the ladies are drinking

Tà na mna ag òl - the women are drinking

Tà na mban ag òl - the ladies are drinking:content:

I struggled with English for a while as I was brought up in a very strict gealtacht area, I didn't learn English in school until I was 8 and it was taught as a foreign language until we were allowed to watch TV  ( unbelievably strict parents)

13 hours ago, Pinkdrink said:

Caoimhe (quee-va) and Cliodhna (klee-O-na)  are my sisters names lol.

As a native irish speaker I don't notice how strange our names are to people but the spelling is definitely strange because technically there is no letter h,  we used to use a dot over letters but since that's gone people are putting the letter h where there was a seimhiu so that's why the names look so strange.

My own little darlings are called Caoilfionn  (kay-linn), Eoghan (o-wen), Saidhbh (s-eye-v), Orlaith (oar-la), Chullainn (cull-an) and Aoibhe  (ava). God love them when they're old enough to go to Starbucks! 

My nephew is named Seamus and he frequently posts pictures of his butchered name on Starbucks cups. One said "Shameless", lol.

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fox said:

My nephew is named Seamus and he frequently posts pictures of his butchered name on Starbucks cups. One said "Shameless", lol.

My sister had a hard first name. It's of Russian origin and she hears it a lot during the winter/summer Olympics. So when she orders food she uses her middle name. 

Beryl was my grandfather's name.   For some reason it tripped people up so he went by his middle name Dean.   

Also in Czech Ive been told that Vaclav is the same as James.   I has a great uncle who was always referred to as Jim.   His real name was Vaclav, which I found out much later.   

Re Starbucks names: A close friend of mine worked as a barista for two years. A lot of the time, yes, the baristas might genuinely not know how to spell your name. Other times, they're really just messing with you. Especially if you're being a dick. My friend had one customer who was ordering while yammering away on his phone, generally being a self-important twat, and had an overly complicated, fussy order that was clearly designed to circumvent buying a more expensive drink: three strikes, you're an irredeemable asshole. So my friend punched in the order and asked for a name. "T-O-D-D. Got it?"

A few minutes later, an Overly Fiddly Latte was ready for Tiodede.

I have a very common name from the 70's/80's.  I was always one of at least 5 or 6 girls in my class with the same name.  I wanted to name my daughter Grace and then my cousin had a girl and named her that so she became Olivia Grace.  She is now facing the same fate as her mama-always at least 3-4 Olivias in her class.  My son is Nathaniel, named for Nathaniel Hawthorne and I rarely hear other boys named Nathaniel.  

My mom has the most popular name from when she was born in the 1950s. When she was pregnant with me she deliberately wanted to name me something that wasn't so ridiculously common like her name. It wasn't popular the year I was born but quickly became and stayed firm as the most popular girls name for over a decade. Man plans, God laughs right?

On the topic of cutesy name trends: my brother attended preschool with a set of twins named Misti and Stormi. We still have a giggle over that one 20+ years later. I'll take my stupidly popular name thanks.

My dad is friends with a woman named Storm. Ok, fine, not terribly common but it works for her. She married a man named McLeod, which if you don't know happens to be pronounced like "McCloud." He goes by Cloudy. So they're Storm and Cloudy.

1 hour ago, albireo said:

My dad is friends with a woman named Storm. Ok, fine, not terribly common but it works for her. She married a man named McLeod, which if you don't know happens to be pronounced like "McCloud." He goes by Cloudy. So they're Storm and Cloudy.

That is too funny. I went to high school with a girl named Storm. She later married a guy named Thunder. 

I've had people look at me funny when I tell the story,  but it's no joke!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived