IGNORED

Anna, Josh, & the Ever Multiplying M Kids, Part 12: Babywatch Continues

Destiny

On 29/07/2017 at 3:14 AM, SassyPants said:

My husband's family is from Ireland. His cousin has twin girls,  and one of them is named Jenny, and the other one has an Irish (Gaelic? name). I think it might be the feminine form of Kevin? I don't know. They do live in Dublin, so maybe it's easier. I always felt sorry for not-Jenny.

My my sister's niece is called Coaimhe, pronounced keeva, a femine form of Kevin. I hadn't heard of the name until my sister met her partner but it's becoming common here. Irish Gaelic and Scottish Galic names are becoming popular in central Scotland now. Some names I'm have trouble pronouncing, I better get practicing as I plan on being a History teacher when I graduate.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I speak very little Irish and what I do know was learned from RTE (good old Dustin the turkey) and TG4 growing up. I'm really just not good at languages in general and Irish can be very complicated. 

I always loved the name Maeve or Maive. But I wouldn't use it because it doesn't sound right with the fiance's surname. Also love Éadha (Ava). I went to school with a guy named Seán (pronounced Shan) and he got really annoyed when people called him Shawn. 

16 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My my sister's niece is called Coaimhe, pronounced keeva, a femine form of Kevin. I hadn't heard of the name until my sister met her partner but it's becoming common here. Irish Gaelic and Scottish Galic names are becoming popular in central Scotland now. Some names I'm have trouble pronouncing, I better get practicing as I plan on being a History teacher when I graduate.

I get around the name thing by asking the class who isn't here when taking the register so I don't have to go down and butcher any names I'm not sure of :pb_lol:

7 hours ago, ShadowCat said:

My youngest girl is Róisín. It's a common enough Irish name ..... until we go abroad. The amount of times I've had to correct people who rhymed her name with "Poison" and point out that it's Ro-Sheen.  Sometimes, I wish I'd just called her John. :content:

My great niece and nephew (sibs) are Roisin and Dairmuid. In the US they are called Rosie and Derry.

My friend named her daughter Aiofe. I struggled and struggled. I still don't understand the letter sounds. Cymraeg is difficult enough! 

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

My great niece and nephew (sibs) are Roisin and Dairmuid. In the US they are called Rosie and Derry.

How do you pronounce Dairmuid? Is it pronounced like the word Dairy?  I love the name Darry because of the Patrick Swayze character, Darrel "Darry" Curtis, in the movie, The Outsiders. 

3 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

How do you pronounce Dairmuid? Is it pronounced like the word Dairy?  I love the name Darry because of the Patrick Swayze character, Darrel "Darry" Curtis, in the movie, The Outsiders. 

its pronouced deer mid, I love irish names, but living in texas I think id have to give any future kids an easy to pronounce middle name so they would have an option

@EmainMachaYep, it's still the 6:01 News and the Angelus is called something else now like A reflection or a moment of contemplation. We all still call it the Angelus though and it's like the tea time bell

@SassyPants My Róisín is also called Rosie or Ro or Ruby Doobs. She was called after her midwife because we had nothing prepared.... 2nd child and all of that. I really wanted to call her Ruby but if I had done that she'd be named after a very famous male jockey of the same first and surname :) 

I have two friends up on the North coast who speak Irish at home. Herself is principal in a Gaelscoil and Himself works in the community to help others who wish to learn the language. I can't get my head around Ulster Gaelige, You all seem to have a thing against pronouncing fadas (accents over vowels) ;)

All this talk has really made me want to pick up Peig again (a much maligned book that we all had to study in Irish class up until the mid to late 90's, about a misfortune of a woman from the Blasket islands, off Kerry) 

My friend's (now absent) father of Irish decent felt adamant about naming her Siobhaun. She recently learned that there was never supposed to be a "u" in the name and now really resents the fact that said absent father messed up her name.

21 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I get around the name thing by asking the class who isn't here when taking the register so I don't have to go down and butcher any names I'm not sure of :pb_lol:

I'll definitely try that. I'm more worried about keeping a straight face when I have to call unfortunately name kids by their names. Immature, I know but some names these days are that bad it can't be helped. 

5 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My friend's (now absent) father of Irish decent felt adamant about naming her Siobhaun. She recently learned that there was never supposed to be a "u" in the name and now really resents the fact that said absent father messed up her name.

Used to love that name. We named our daughter Caitlin- [we went with the safe choice]

When our son was born, the first thing my late MIL asked was why we gave him a "Hebrew" name- Oh, FFS, because no little boy who is 50% Irish was ever named Daniel. We would have used Conner or Ryan, but those names were already taken by first cousins who would have the same last name.

12 hours ago, ShadowCat said:

@EmainMachaYep, it's still the 6:01 News and the Angelus is called something else now like A reflection or a moment of contemplation. We all still call it the Angelus though and it's like the tea time bell

@SassyPants My Róisín is also called Rosie or Ro or Ruby Doobs. She was called after her midwife because we had nothing prepared.... 2nd child and all of that. I really wanted to call her Ruby but if I had done that she'd be named after a very famous male jockey of the same first and surname :) 

I have two friends up on the North coast who speak Irish at home. Herself is principal in a Gaelscoil and Himself works in the community to help others who wish to learn the language. I can't get my head around Ulster Gaelige, You all seem to have a thing against pronouncing fadas (accents over vowels) ;)

All this talk has really made me want to pick up Peig again (a much maligned book that we all had to study in Irish class up until the mid to late 90's, about a misfortune of a woman from the Blasket islands, off Kerry) 

I really struggle with ulster dialect,  because they don't pronounce fades words have totally different meanings and you have to think of the context of the sentence. 

You've brought up serious memories about peig sayers, Im from quite close to there so all the blasket island books remind me of my childhood as well as jimin :content:

58 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Used to love that name. We named our daughter Caitlin- [we went with the safe choice]

When our son was born, the first thing my late MIL asked was why we gave him a "Hebrew" name- Oh, FFS, because no little boy who is 50% Irish was ever named Daniel. We would have used Conner or Ryan, but those names were already taken by first cousins who would have the same last name.

Yes, that stirring Jewish anthem O Danny Boy brings tears to my eyes ....

4 minutes ago, flycat said:

Yes, that stirring Jewish anthem O Danny Boy brings tears to my eyes ....

O Danny Boy makes everyone with a heart cry.

23 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My friend named her daughter Aiofe. I struggled and struggled. I still don't understand the letter sounds. Cymraeg is difficult enough! 

I looked up the pronunciation for Cymraeg and was disappointed that it wasn't far enough off from what it first looked like to me...

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Cloudlet #1 was born in Israel and has an Israeli modern (but not weird) name. Her name is beautiful (to us), has a lovely sound and a strong meaning, and as an unexpected bonus they made a GOT character with it. My mom still asked what her Yiddish name is and sighed heavily about getting some used to it.

You can't win.

2 hours ago, Stormy said:

I looked up the pronunciation for Cymraeg and was disappointed that it wasn't far enough off from what it first looked like to me...

Hmmm. Sounds a bit BEC there, Stormy. 

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I had someone ask me why i picked a "jewish" name for my first son, but then i also had someone ask me if i named him after twilight. I didnt realise that the name Jacob would be controversial.

That's my middle name but i won't ever admit it in person. Even my passport just has the initial (I tried to get away without it tho).

I disliked my middle name* so much, @missegeno, that I formally deleted it when government rules changed meaning it had to be on my driver's license.  My dad was a bit upset I think, but I'd had it for 40 years and that was long enough.  It was a lit of hassle, but I was glad I did it.  

* think a hyphenated name similar to Billy-Jean.

I'm loving this thread drift! My own bebbehs don't have Irish names, but it's really important to me that the language is preserved as part of our cultural heritage. I can't stand hearing parents say - oh I wish they'd do away with teaching Irish in schools, waste of time, dead language etc. My two eldest love Irish and are excelling at it at school. Next summer they'll be off to the Gaeltacht but not Donegal, where I went, it's just too hard to understand for Dublin ears. 

I hate my actual name because there's about 3 different spellings of it so I'm always having to spell it for people. It wastes so much time!

On 7/30/2017 at 11:07 PM, BlessaYourHeart said:

I speak very little Irish and what I do know was learned from RTE (good old Dustin the turkey) and TG4 growing up. I'm really just not good at languages in general and Irish can be very complicated. 

I always loved the name Maeve or Maive. But I wouldn't use it because it doesn't sound right with the fiance's surname. Also love Éadha (Ava). I went to school with a guy named Seán (pronounced Shan) and he got really annoyed when people called him Shawn. 

Hi Guys, I'm a fluent Irish speaker - have just returned from an emersion course in the Gaeltacht (what we call our Irish speaking regions) and am still thinking in Irish, so any questions re pronounciation of Irish names, just ask. 

As for Seán, it is pronounced Shawn as in lawn. If you pronounce it Shan, it means "old" in Irish. The line over vowels always makes them longer. HTH

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived