IGNORED

Anna, Josh, & the Ever Multiplying M Kids, Part 12: Babywatch Continues

Destiny

We unintentionally gave our kids a theme but now I really like it. We named our second son a star name and the name my husband had picked for a possible girl was also a star name so I told him we'd have to throw it out because we couldn't have our oldest the only one left out.... Turns out his middle name is a constellation.... And that's how all our kids got astronomy themed names on accident.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Roosevelt is the only girl. I have no idea what hashtag led me to that page, but I've been loving the name Roosevelt for a girl ever since. 

When I first read that Roosevelt was the girl I thought "WTF?" but then I realized you can call her Rosie. Kinda cute, actually!

1 minute ago, Jatalie1996 said:

When I first read that Roosevelt was the girl I thought "WTF?" but then I realized you can call her Rosie. Kinda cute, actually!

I had the exact same reaction at first! Once I got over the initial shock and confusion, I realized it is quite lovely on a girl. Almost melodic, but also strong.

I had a fundie friend growing up, with lots of siblings. They all had three names and their theme was… identical initials. So they would have Hannah Jill Jennifer, Henry John James, Helen Jane Julie, Hamish Joseph Jeremy etc. etc. (not their actual names, obvs). I think themes are fine, but put some thought into it and don't make it ridiculous. Also, if you have a theme, don't break it too obviously! Like maybe naming you kids Matthew, Mark, Luke and Brayden-Kaden.

On the topic of themed naming, I knew three sibling growing up, all of who had three letter names. To add to the coherency of this theme, they each had two middle names, the three initials then became an acronym that spelled the first name (ie Lia Ingrid Allison, or Rex Evan Xavier). I was envious of their cool name acronyms (my folks gave me a name that wound up being really common in that era, and I was always envious of kids with cool names).

I remember a girl in my high school wanted to name all her kids normal-sounding names but with strange spellings (ie Krystophur, Kaitelynn, Phred, Ceemoane, etc). I hope it was just a young passing fancy, because those kids would probably find learning to read and spell very confusing. With creative spellings she could've fit right in with the fundies.

When we first got married  we lived in an Irish speaking area so we gave our kids traditional Irish names but since we've moved no one can pronounce their names poor little things!! For instance one of my daughters is called caoilfionn and one of my sons is called eoghan and they have to spell their names constantly!!

2 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Did anyone mention months for a theme? I've heard of January, April, May and June being used as names. I also went to junior high with twins named Autumn and Season.

My boyfriend in high school was called August, it's a fairly common name here in Norway.

My friend has two girls called Stella and Nova, I like the astronomical theme. 

Up until recently all our pets had magical or mythical names. Mage, Luna, Isis, Draco, Merlin,  etc. I  We've now switched to X-Men. We've had a Raven (Mystique's real name) a Storm and our puppy is Remy (Gambit's real name).

My mom thought growing up that we had Irish roots so both my brother and I have generic American Irish names. Turns out our ancestry is Scottish but I digress! 

No naming themes for my kiddos. With the Oldest Wolfie the ex and I had about 10 names we liked,  but couldn't decide so we had the inlaws write them all down in random order on 10 sheets of paper. Closed my eyes and ran my finger down the list. Name that got the most of the 10 was her first name, second was her middle name. It flows well so it worked.  

Middle Woflie was named after the ex's grandma, as I found out I was pregnant just 2 days after Grandma had passed away. Oddly, her birth time was the same as the numerical digits of Grandma's birthday.

Youngest Wolfie was going to be named Gabriel but when Hubby left when I was in ny first trimester to go back to drugs, I decided all bets were off and I'd give him the name I wanted. So he is named after 2 bad-asses. A bad-ass NHL goalie and a bad-ass movie character. His two middle names are family members we have lost. 

3 hours ago, blackberry said:

My two sons' initials are MJT and OLT. We did not plan or initially realize that the younger's initials are two letters down from the older's. We have talked/joked about initialing the next one either QNT (two more letters) or ROT (three letters to make the pattern interesting). Naming themes can be quite subtle. 

Ooo Fibonacci naming - that would be cool!

Relatedly, I guess you could have a pattern of W, then E, then M, then Z?

1 hour ago, BabyFactoryClosing said:

We unintentionally gave our kids a theme but now I really like it. We named our second son a star name and the name my husband had picked for a possible girl was also a star name so I told him we'd have to throw it out because we couldn't have our oldest the only one left out.... Turns out his middle name is a constellation.... And that's how all our kids got astronomy themed names on accident.

That's awesome!

1 hour ago, Jatalie1996 said:

I think I'd be tempted to play with the pronunciation and make it Roz-uh-velt. Kinda sounds like it should be a German rose in a forest.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

. I was envious of their cool name acronyms (my folks gave me a name that wound up being really common in that era, and I was always envious of kids with cool names).

I have a very old world, currently a "grandma" name. It's not so cool to stand out when you're painfully shy.

1 hour ago, wikinggirl said:

My boyfriend in high school was called August, it's a fairly common name here in Norway.

I had a Stella among my babies who passed. My surviving girl is Raine.

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

I think I'd be tempted to play with the pronunciation and make it Roz-uh-velt. Kinda sounds like it should be a German rose in a forest.

Love it! 

The constellation/stars theme is bad ass.

I'm going to add hurricanes, cars, cocktails as a subset of beverages, and consonance (e.g. nn siblings Dennis Connor Kenneth etc., or tt siblings Matthew Wyatt Scott etc.), to the name themes list.

The Duggars have no excuses now. We've given them plenty of themes to choose from. 

One of my friends has four daughters.She got their names from soap operas.April,Heather,Jennifer and Amanda.Their fifth child ,a boy,was named after his father.My three brothers all have biblical names,it wasn't intentional.But a friend of my grandmother's asked if my father was going to name all of his sons after the Apostles.

6 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Seasons! I know this caps out at four...but I do know an Autumn that had a sister named Summer. I've also worked with a Spring, but have never come across a Winter before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a parent at work (I work in child care) named Winter... 

3 hours ago, Pinkdrink said:

When we first got married  we lived in an Irish speaking area so we gave our kids traditional Irish names but since we've moved no one can pronounce their names poor little things!! For instance one of my daughters is called caoilfionn and one of my sons is called eoghan and they have to spell their names constantly!!

I'm guessing they get a lot of people spelling their names Kaelan(though I think I may be off with that pronunciation)  and Owen when they have to give their name? 

I have a lot of friends with Irish names, one with an incredibly unique one and they get super annoyed at the ridiculous spellings and pronounciations they get 

I see nothing wrong with going with a theme when it comes to names. I'm Jewish and usually a child is named after someone who died. In the case of myself and my sister we each have the first initial of our grandfathers who died. 

I recently read an autobiography that I have wanted to read for years and the woman who wrote the book named her daughter the name her mother would have used if she had a third daughter. 

My siblings and I all have the same first letter and middle names are all family names. My husband and his brothers all have the same middle name. Our kids will probably all end up with 4-letter first names because our last name is on the long side. 

1 minute ago, unspoken said:

My siblings and I all have the same first letter and middle names are all family names. My husband and his brothers all have the same middle name. Our kids will probably all end up with 4-letter first names because our last name is on the long side. 

I have a 2 friends (brother and sister) who along with their older sister have very simple first names because they have a very long and hard to pronounce last name. 

4 hours ago, Pinkdrink said:

My husband's family is from Ireland. His cousin has twin girls,  and one of them is named Jenny, and the other one has an Irish (Gaelic? name). I think it might be the feminine form of Kevin? I don't know. They do live in Dublin, so maybe it's easier. I always felt sorry for not-Jenny.

4 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

Haha my second cousin's name is August, and his brother's wife's name is January!

I love the astronomy theme!

5 hours ago, Saisa1984 said:

I name my cars after Shakespeare characters. LOL

My car's name is Bellatrix. #harrypotterforthewin

I've got a bright red 2010 VW Beetle, the one that looks like a gumball spit out on wheels. My oldest insists we paint the bottom white, add a black dot to the center so I can drive a Pokeball. 

3 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

The Duggars have no excuses now. We've given them plenty of themes to choose from. 

How about an FJ theme; e.g., Dandruff Duggar.

3 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Love it! 

The constellation/stars theme is bad ass.

I'm going to add hurricanes, cars, cocktails as a subset of beverages, and consonance (e.g. nn siblings Dennis Connor Kenneth etc., or tt siblings Matthew Wyatt Scott etc.), to the name themes list.

The Duggars choosing cocktails as a theme could be problematic. None of those kids would be allowed to marry, as they must remain virgin cocktails.

7 hours ago, Greendoor said:

Know a woman who named her kids for birds.  Seriously - happily she only had two girls and two boys.  Jay, Piper, Pheobe, and Robin.

I know a couple who also have a bird theme, they only have two kids so far - Vireo and Kestrel.

I love thinking about possible future baby names, but I'll admit to a little embarrassment about currently loving a few names that all happen to start with the same letter. Each of the names has a special meaning for me, but if I ever got to use them all, people would think I was going with a letter theme when, in fact, it's just a coincidence.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived