IGNORED

Dillards 31: Grifting, Lying, and Allergies

Coconut Flan

10 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Anyone can make an anon comment with 'insider' info, so I'm taking this with a HUGE grain of salt.

she told me it's starting tomorrow :D

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fluffy14 said:

If this is the case with Jill she may be in for another c section . And personally I hope so. It may just limit how many children she is able to have, long term. 

I just hope she has a safe delivery, regardless of whether she has another c-section or not. I don't want her to risk her life or Samuel's life simply out of determination to do a vbac.

And I really really hope she does not attempt a homebirth this time. I think she would be much safer in a hospital and she would have a much better chance of a successful vbac if she's there over at home.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

To be fair, I thought my husband was a goddamn Saint for bringing me so many apple juices from the snack station when I was in labor. So if she really is in labor I'll give her a pass for thinking he's the best for bringing her chocolate milk.  :pb_lol:

My child was adopted so nobody brought me any damn chocolate milk.  I want my Nestle's Quik!  Or bacon. Bacon is always good. :bacon:

Just to clarify: not nesquik and bacon together?

...says the woman who started jam doughnuts with salad cream with the daughter who's coming of age on Sunday and still can't stop eating them that way.

15 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

My child was adopted so nobody brought me any damn chocolate milk.  I want my Nestle's Quik!  Or bacon. Bacon is always good. :bacon:

SOMEONE GET HER CHOCOLATE MILK AND BACON STAT!!!! :pb_lol:

But seriously. Waiting for an adoption to go through can be just as tough emotionally and mentally as pregnancy and labor. You deserve chocolate milk and bacon!

31 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Just to clarify: not nesquik and bacon together?

...says the woman who started jam doughnuts with salad cream with the daughter who's coming of age on Sunday and still can't stop eating them that way.

For my birthday last year Mr. One Kid got me some doughnuts covered with dark chocolate and bacon. 1,451,888 calories and oh so good. It is however a once a year thing. I bet it shot my blood sugar through the roof.

20 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

SOMEONE GET HER CHOCOLATE MILK AND BACON STAT!!!! :pb_lol:

But seriously. Waiting for an adoption to go through can be just as tough emotionally and mentally as pregnancy and labor. You deserve chocolate milk and bacon!

It took five years and some people who were in the waiting process with me called it 'paper pregnant'. Pregnancy, trying to get pregnant and adoption have their own difficulties. 

One Kid is 13 now, and off for her month long stint at summer camp.

@backyard sylph, not only are you allowed to drink during labor, but some OBs and almost all midwives allow laboring women to EAT lightly during labor, if they wish.  Not allowing any woman to eat during labor assumes that a) digestion stops during labor, which it doesn't, and b) the woman is likely to have c-section requiring her to undergo general anesthesia and she might vomit during anesthesia.  It is my understanding vomiting during general anesthesia is not a real concern if you have a competent anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist.  Most c-sections are done with epidural anesthesia anyway, even the emergency ones.

Eating a light meal during labor

I wish I was allowed to eat during labor with my 2 1/2 yr old. I was in labor for 40 hours. The first 24 hrs I was at home and could barely eat because of the pain. I had such irregular contractions, sometimes 15 min apart, then 7, then 5, then 20, 10, you get the idea. I could barely work up an appetite. After laboring for 6 or so hours at the hospital I asked if I could eat and was only given ice chips. I ate so many damn ice chips the 16 or so hours I was there in the delivery room that my teeth hurt so much when I was finally able to eat. I was STARVING by the time I pushed out the little stubborn lady and can you believe they ran out of sandwiches in the snack pantry when I was finally able to eat? Luckily I packed some snacks for my husband who ate my hospital dinner while I was laboring. They thought my little girl would be out sooner than she was. Every time he napped and snacked, I wanted to punch that SOB's face! We're still married, and I love him, but that's the moment I internally turned into a stereotypical bitchy mom in labor- watching him eat my food and resting his pretty face. And yes, my husband pulled a Josh and napped so peacefully while I was in pain.  

The whole thing about eating during labor varies from country to country. I was allowed to eat several times during my daughter's birth and drink as much as I wanted. I think that towards the end of labor they generally only offer lighter food but I was still offered soup and ice cream with raspberries when I had about an hour or two to go. My second child I didn't eat anything though but the labor was quite fast and I really wasn't hungry. I had water and maybe a glass of juice, I don't really remember for sure. I do remember they gave me some horrible raspberry flavored sweet drink the first time and I just hated it but I was in too much pain to tell them and I just drank it because I was thirsty. Then they went and got me more of it and I had to drink another glass of it... I should have just kept my mouth closed and yelled apple juice or something that I actually like. The best part was towards the very end with my first I got ice lollies. They were so tasty they almost took the labor pain away. 

14 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

Were we told before why her uterus failed? Did the baby not engage? 

Israel was breech.

Being able to eat while laboring is part of what made me interested in using a midwife at a birthing center. The one place I was interested in had a full kitchen and encouraged couples to bring food and cook meals. Unfortunately with me needing to be on blood thinners throughout the entire pregnancy that type of facility is no longer an option. I just think its crazy to expect women to go that long without food. 

8 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

I just think its crazy to expect women to go that long without food. 

I was in labour for 3 full days with my first. Labour started on the 21st of December and she was born on the 25th of December. If I hadn't had midwives I probably wouldn't have been allowed to eat that whole time which would have made labour a dismal affair for me.

My first was born in a hospital where they had a no eating rule (23 years ago). We were vegetarians at the time, and after she was born they had roast beef or crab cake sandwiches. I ate that crab-cake like I was Mrs. Paul herself. :laughing-rollingred:

15 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Better than the woman next to me with our firsts. She was teeny - roughly the same outwards at 30wks as she was tall. He was an enormous marine who brought sweets for all of us and was so attentive to her. When things hotted up and she couldn't walk, he scooped her up and carried her to delivery.

...about 8 mins later he came running into the day room in floods of tears and just melted onto the floor. Once the midwife could get any sense out of him he was sobbing that she didn't love him any more. Turned out she'd yelled a couple of expletives at him on a theme of 'you did this to me', then slapped his face when he went to cuddle her. The midwife couldn't have been more the stereotype: "call yourself a marine? Get yourself together man. Now get back in there and do whatever she wants."

Happy ending though - he ended up on the bed with one of '(his) girls' sleeping in each arm by teatime.

This story is fantastic! :pb_lol:

14 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I feel your pain. All Four were adopted, and I didn't get anything brought to me, either.... but just yesterday Four (who is about to turn 21) brought me a coke slurpee, so I guess it all works out!

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Pins and needles. Pins and needles. Chocolate is definitely in order. And if you had a failed adoption, as we did, the heartache is even greater. It's all over now, but then it was horrible.

3 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

All Four were adopted, and I didn't get anything brought to me, either.... but just yesterday Four (who is about to turn 21) brought me a coke slurpee, so I guess it all works out!

personally i think you are amazing.

my mom wanted to adopt after me but never went through with it 

15 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Once the midwife could get any sense out of him he was sobbing that she didn't love him any more. Turned out she'd yelled a couple of expletives at him on a theme of 'you did this to me', then slapped his face when he went to cuddle her.

We had a great coach at our Lamaze classes; great sense of humor. She said she gets this question a lot -- couples that have heard stories, and are afraid that they're going to turn into monsters in the delivery room, Jekyll-and-Hyde style... say and do things they'd never do otherwise. She explained it by saying that labor & delivery just hugely intensifies what's already there... she smiled and said, "If you've got marriage issues, we're gonna know it."

My poor wife was induced with our first; they kept cranking up the pitocin until she was laboring hard, but she still took a long time to progress... 12 hours or so until she was fully dilated. I do remember her snapping back at me just once, when I said something thoughtless that kinda minimized what she was going through... totally understandable.

But we're both of Scandinavian descent and temperament... pretty reserved. If we were Italian or Irish maybe there would have been slapping. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

And if you had a failed adoption, as we did, the heartache is even greater. It's all over now, but then it was horrible.

I can't even imagine... I'm so sorry! We have four too, and one of ours is adopted. Someone at the time said you should try to keep some emotional distance until it's final, but I quickly realized that's just impossible; the heart doesn't work that way. We loved her early on.

@Four is Enough,  pins and needles is so apt!  I remember the waiting when my daughter and her husband decided to adopt their two girls.  And I agree with @nst, you are amazing!

@fluffernutter,  how come hospital dietary departments do not understand what vegetarian mean?  I got served chicken noodle soup after may hysterectomy and yep, I ate it,  I also got served the most outrageously awful crap after I had my stroke. One more than one occasion,  I had my daughter bring me a veggie burger from Burger King and I couldn't wait to get home to be able to eat decently

12 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

I can't even imagine... I'm so sorry! We have four too, and one of ours is adopted. Someone at the time said you should try to keep some emotional distance until it's final, but I quickly realized that's just impossible; the heart doesn't work that way. We loved her early on.

Emotional distance.... what a joke. From the minute you get that call, saying, "We have a child for you," the heart goes into full "I'm going to be a mama" phase, and the commitment and love are there, just the same as (I imagine) it does when the pee stick turns positive.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:59 PM, SassyPants said:

But wasn't their rent like 3,000/month? If the 6 figures was on the higher end, which I tend to doubt, sure, Josh would have walked away with some cash, but if it was on the low end, like less than $200,000/yr, living expenses would have eaten a great deal of that money up.

There were also his "entertainment" expenses...

15 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@backyard sylph, not only are you allowed to drink during labor, but some OBs and almost all midwives allow laboring women to EAT lightly during labor, if they wish.  Not allowing any woman to eat during labor assumes that a) digestion stops during labor, which it doesn't, and b) the woman is likely to have c-section requiring her to undergo general anesthesia and she might vomit during anesthesia.  It is my understanding vomiting during general anesthesia is not a real concern if you have a competent anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist.  Most c-sections are done with epidural anesthesia anyway, even the emergency ones.

Eating a light meal during labor

Vomiting or aspirating under anesthesia is very much a concern and can be fatal.  Pregnancy causes delayed gastric emptying so you process food more slowly.  Second, once paralyzed for general anesthesia you no longer have the reflexes to protect your airway.  It doesn't matter how competent the Anesthetist is, when you have an 7 pound baby pushing on your stomach, the fluid will go in the path of least resistance.  It only takes 20 cc of stomach fluid to give you aspiration pneumonia.  This is why you're not allowed do eat before surgery.  You produce anywhere from 20/40 cc/he of gastric juice so  the math is simple.  

Sorry I'll step off my soap box now but people don't understand how bad things can get under anesthesia.

source: I do anesthesia everyday.

On 6/13/2017 at 5:16 PM, Carm_88 said:

That being said Michelle did hospital births for all but Jinger and Joseph. So, it's not surprising that she did go to the hospital. 

Are we sure Jill is intending to deliver in the States? Isn't it possible this is all for moot because she'll give birth in Central America?  

4 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Israel was breech.

I thought she just didn't progress. Derrick did a talking head about how there was no shame in not progressing.  Like yeah? Men really need to not ever EVER speak on the subject of labor. 

Also, Jill seems so miserable. Not even particularly kind anymore.  

5 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Are we sure Jill is intending to deliver in the States? Isn't it possible this is all for moot because she'll give birth in Central America?  

I thought she just didn't progress. Derrick did a talking head about how there was no shame in not progressing.  Like yeah? Men really need to not ever EVER speak on the subject of labor. 

Also, Jill seems so miserable. Not even particularly kind anymore.  

She said that she was coming back to the States to deliver the baby.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived