IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP) : Erika Shupe Pt 11

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Hane said:

A little OT:  My nine-year-old grandson actually loves standardized tests--he says  he thrives on the peace and quiet!

Ha!  I was one of those kids too - 50 years ago.  I grew-up in Iowa and we took standardized tests yearly, being part of the normative sampling for Iowa Test of Basic Skills.  I'm not even sure if that tool is even used any more.  For a while it was the 'gold standard.'

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the Iowa tests every year too, at an evil Catholic school on the East Coast. Something about demonstrating how much we learned. I remember being told as a sixth grader that I was reading at a college freshman level. Looking back, I'm not sure how impressive that really is. We all read a lot then. There was only 3 channels on TV & movies were a rare treat but library books were free.

On 18 August 2017 at 6:54 PM, Anonymousguest said:

In my homeschooling circles Civil Air Patrol is pretty common.  It funnels a lot of these boys into the missionary pilot path. It doesn't at all say to me "we are giving up the Fundy Life style."

It's a shame that Timothy Rodrigues isn't able to join. Jill mentioned that he wants to become a missionary Pilot. Bob Shupe would be a much better father figure to him than David.

Ah yes, the Iowa Test.  Did anyone else, when time was almost up and they weren't done yet, fill in the remaining ovals at random?

Abby Maxwell used the Iowa Basic Skills for her standardised tests. So I assume they're still in use/accepted, even if just by homeschoolers.

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

Ah yes, the Iowa Test.  Did anyone else, when time was almost up and they weren't done yet, fill in the remaining ovals at random?

YES! Our teachers told us that if we couldn't finish, the most common answer for a multiple choice question was B or C. Ha.

I also remember that my first and last name were too long to fit in the letter bubbles at the top of the sheet. I was a really anxious little kid for some reason and constantly worried that I would get in trouble somehow with "them". You know, the people that keep "the permanent record."

In the FLOP page, Bob posted a satire piece about a Baptist crock pot made to serve 400 or something. He said that he was waiting for the non-denominational version.

Have they always been non-denominational? I thought they were Baptist.

On 8/21/2017 at 4:52 PM, Gobsmacked said:

It's a shame that Timothy Rodrigues isn't able to join. Jill mentioned that he wants to become a missionary Pilot. Bob Shupe would be a much better father figure to him than David.

Years ago, I was having a discussion with a new buddy of mine and he blurted out, all surprised, "People think you're dumb but you're not dumb at all, you're actually really smart!"

Until today, that was the most lackluster compliment I had ever heard.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:25 AM, smittykins said:

Warning: Back in the beginning of junior high, my (very intelligent) middle sister decided to goof around when taking the test and just filled in random circles. The result: She was placed in a class far below her skill levels. It wasn't until well into eighth grade that her English teacher figured it out and started working hard to challenge her. It took my sister a long time to catch up to her appropriate level.  I've always wondered why the school used that test as its sole placement criterion.

I currently have 5 kids in public school, and I substitute teach, so I have a pretty good sampling of what public school around here are like. While not all are focused on testing, many still are. I agree that loads of homeschoolers have an incorrect view of what public school is really like. After all, my kids are happy and choose public school over homeschooling, because that is an option for them and frankly, would be a far better educational experience simply because I'm not operating on a shoestring budget with too many kids to effectively differentiate instruction. But sometimes homeschoolers ideas about public school are not far off the mark, sadly. But again, not all homeschoolers are like the families we discuss here. The parents are often better-educated, and their desire to homeschool is not because they want to shelter their kids from evil heathen public school kids. I know several former public school teachers who now teach their own kids at home, for example.

I designed and taught a writing class for homeschoolers in junior high and high school, so had an opportunity to interact with people who were coming at it from an entirely different perspective than the Shupes or Rodriguii. Homeschool is far less terrifying in other families. :D

1 hour ago, popcorn_luv said:

I am surprised she hasn't done any back to school posts.  Guess she has completely abandoned blogging.

School doesn't go back for a couple more weeks, there is still time. 

18 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

School doesn't go back for a couple more weeks, there is still time. 

I just googled, and there's no start date for Mount Vernon. 

Brandon starts high school this year I believe.

All the public schools I know of in WA (granted that's only a handful of districts, but appears to be state wide) go back September 6. 

This could be a great opportunity for Erika to start blogging. She could post about what she learned in her first year as a public school mom, how she'll do things differently this year, the new organizational systems she had to develop, etc. I mean, she won't because Erika will never admit that she wasn't the perfect public school mom right from the start. But I think it'll be a missed opportunity on her part.

22 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

All the public schools I know of in WA (granted that's only a handful of districts, but appears to be state wide) go back September 6. 

I'll bet Erika is counting the days, though she'd never admit it

Erika has a new profile photo. It's a selfie of her in a gym. That's a long way from using a cross-trainer in her basement, away from her sons' eyes. (It was her who mentioned about not wearing exercise clothes in front of her sons, right?)

On August 17, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Hisey said:

I apologize if this has already been posted. IT's an article, written by "1st Lt. Bob Shupe" about a Civil Air Patrol that is organized in Skagit County. Brandon is in it, also, and there are two pictures of him. This explains why he was up in the cockpit of an airplane in a photo earlier this month. Interesting that he will also be given the opportunity to ride in a glider!

<snip>

http://www.skagitbreaking.com/2017/08/05/civil-air-patrols-new-concrete-flight-provides-opportunities-youth-adults/

Back to this article -- in the first photo, isn't that one of the older Shupe girls on the left?  I can't tell about the other, maybe it's even both of them?

None of the people in the group photo is a Shupe kid, bar Brandon. Brandon's third from the right in the front row.

2 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

None of the people in the group photo is a Shupe kid, bar Brandon. Brandon's third from the right in the front row.

Oops, the photo I meant was actually the 2nd photo -- the first after the group photo.  With the two girls.  I did wonder about the person in the group photo with their head down, though.

No, not them. They've got name tags on the right side of their chest (left to us) and they don't say Shupe. The girl on the left's hair is too light. I could be wrong but I think the person on the left is a male. 

The fourth photo (two guys in white shirts) is of Brandon, you can make out the name tag with Shupe on it. (Guy in glasses pinning a badge on is Bob).

10 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Oops, the photo I meant was actually the 2nd photo -- the first after the group photo.  With the two girls.  I did wonder about the person in the group photo with their head down, though.

LOL! Noticed that too. Looks like he picked just the wrong moment to button his shirtsleeve cuff!

On 1.9.2017 at 1:11 AM, mango_fandango said:

Erika has a new profile photo. It's a selfie of her in a gym. That's a long way from using a cross-trainer in her basement, away from her sons' eyes. (It was her who mentioned about not wearing exercise clothes in front of her sons, right?)

True. And that's not even a ladies-only gym. You can clearly see men in the background of the photo!

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived