IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP) : Erika Shupe Pt 11

Coconut Flan

Haha I found my way here from GOMI too...  My fave over there was That Mom/Jenma Cobb.  Was just a lurker over there, something about that board made me feel like I would rather just read than participate.  This is the first forum I've run into in a while that made me feel like joining in.

I peck around at the duggar threads here and there, but they arent really that interesting to me.  (I mean the family, not the threads).

I got really into reading about the Nauglers for a bit, but over time they've gotten a little boring too...  It seems like not a whole lot of new things happen for them, threads about them here are still pretty funny though.

I think Jill Rodrigues is my favorite.  I have watched the hair n makeup tutorial 3 times.  She's just so.... Weird!  And she puts so much out there, plenty to dig and snerk at.

Still haven't looked into maxwells or Lori yet...  I was thinking about checking out ex gay Greg next, but I'm sure you could persuade me to check on one of them instead!

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

@mango_fandango you MUST follow Jill Rod if you don't already. She's so bizzare it's delightful. 

I try to but those threads move so damn fast. I pop in occasionally but trying to keep up is almost impossible! Time to dive into the archives methinks... you may need to send ferrets

Checked Karen's facebook. One of her shared posts was the quote: "I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me". Interesting.

Karen posted today that it's one of her last days living at home. Also I started scrolling through her fb today for the first time; I think its interesting how often Erika replies to Karen's posts, given what others have said about Erika's near disappearance from other fb activity. 

22 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

I think its interesting how often Erika replies to Karen's posts, given what others have said about Erika's near disappearance from other fb activity. 

That is a good point. Erika is definitely around. I can't get over the Shupe family being allowed to dress normally in the summer time. The fundie spell Erika and Bob were under must be wearing off...Maybe they stopped going to their church or something. Maybe Erika had a falling out with her side of the family. It's fascinating. 

Erika just posted on her FB that she is selling the trundle bed from the girls room. I guess Karen will not be welcomed back for an occasional sleepover visit - or if her living arrangements with friends fall through! Geeze *frown*

@fundiefollower I guess when you leave Erika's fortress of mundane, you really leave Erika's fortress of mundane. Especially when you're dressing in pants, working, and not married.

But probably it's a need for money that they're selling off the bed. It just comes across as so cold and ... Erika.

Wow....she's not wasting any time is she.  Poor kid hasn't even left yet, and she's already selling her bed.  

Lots of times when kids leave the nest, they end up coming back a few times, but it seems like Erika is closing the door to that...

Very sad, and probably kind of scary for Karen.

We've always told our kids- as long as we have a home, you have a home.  You'll never be too old to come home.  My grandparents told my mom the very same thing, and my mom told me.  
Both of us (my mom and I) left home by our 19th birthdays, and neither of us ever went back. During those first years, it's comforting to know that the option is there, though.  Kids need to know that they have a safety net, especially while they're getting themselves established in the world.

@Koala I took my bed with me when I moved. I went back home for a visit when my partner was overseas and my parents made me a bed out of the good sofas in the 'nice' sitting room, which is generally reserved for company. I've also been told I can move back home if necessary and there will be space for me.

Children remember things like this. No matter what intentions parents may have had, what emotions they were going through, no amount of 'We needed money and you were moving!' is ever going to be a good enough reason. Karen will always remember that Erika had her bed for sale before she moved out.

Pretty telling, really.

Wait, is that even Karen's bed? I thought Anna Marie was in the trundle bed. (Which, yes, would mean they're moving things around and selling a bed because Karen is gone, I get that. But it's not like a Duggar is moving out and they're selling the bed with her name on it.)

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that they want her to move out, though I agree that's what it looks like. I would have thought they'd keep the bed and hope that the main sister-mom would come to her "senses" (i.e. back under Erika's thumb) and move back in.

If Erika is like my mom, she'll be insulted every time a kid leaves home and tell them "Once you're out, you're not coming back".  But when she only has a couple of kids still left, she'll do everything she can to keep them around.  The last one left will be able to move in and out like a yo-yo, as long as she has someone that she can control or that makes her feel needed.

I really don't see anything sinister in Erika selling the trundle bed now that Karen is moving out. It was already ridiculous that one of the girls was sleeping on a trundle bed anyway. They have a teeny house with no space and not much extra money either; makes sense to get rid of what you can as soon as possible.

I'm just happy Anna Marie or whoever was in that sad bed now has their own place to sleep, sort of.

There was a recent post on the FLOP Facebook group in which someone asked about "disappearing posts."  She asked if there were some guidelines that made a post acceptable because so many have been disappearing with no explanation.   There has been nor answer to that one yet.  Maybe Erika has decided to use Lori's tactics.  

I had noticed several weeks ago that someone posted "Why was my laundry post deleted?"  She had simply asked for organizational ideas and several people answered. Then...POOF...it was gone. 

I have noticed that Erika hardly ever comments. It's like a bunch of women are just using her page as a meeting place and she never shows up.  But really there is NOTHING confrontational or hateful posted.  It is always just mom's looking for tips so deleting posts is just ridiculous.  

I do hope Bob and Erika have told Karen she can come home any time and they have a place in mind for her to sleep. It is a slap in the face for her to see them selling the bed. Even if she said she'd never be coming home for a night, the parents should have said they'd hold on to the bed just in case. 

Yeah, I'm assuming it was Anna Marie on the trundle. They used to have two bunk beds and the trundle, before moving to a triple bunk, a single and the trundle. I'm assuming that Karen and Melanie were on the top bunks, the twins were in the bottom, and Anna Marie on the trundle. I don't know if it was ever explicitly mentioned that these were the arrangements, I'm just assuming. Then, when they moved to a triple and a single, I'm assuming Karen took the single.

My parents turned my bedroom into a tv room as soon as I left for college, by the time I came home the first time in Oct I had to sleep on the couch. I moved into my boy friends parents house at winter break. And I never spent another night at "home". 

I kept bedrooms set up pretty much until we moved into the "oversized closet" apartment. But, now that my "baby" is pushing 30, I think it's time to not worry about it. IF (heaven forbid) they end up back here again, it wouldn't take much to set up a bedroom again. 

My daughter lived at home for a little while right after college, but moved out within a year despite my suggestion that she stay longer and save more money. Within a month or two after that, her room--still with most of her old stuff in it--started looking like a dump because that's what I used it for. But I always clear it out and give it a good cleaning before she comes to stay overnight at Christmas (she lives close by so doesn't need to stay here any other time of the year). By the time I'm done, it looks just like it did when she was in high school, well, minus clothes strewn everywhere. We haven't even taken the posters down off her walls, so the One Tree Hill cast still stares at me whenever I go in there. :pb_lol:  I want to eventually turn it into an office/spare room, but there's no hurry.

I was not offended in the least when my parents made my room into my mom's office. I mean at least she kept a twin bed in there? I guess I also wasn't offended since I wanted to move out as much as they wanted me out. I was the last kid though, so I'm sure that made a difference since my brother kept coming back and he always had a room. Now, my room is my niece's room because my mom babysits her and needed to put a crib and stuff in there. I love that my niece sleeps in the same room that I slept in. 

11 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

My parents turned my bedroom into a tv room as soon as I left for college, by the time I came home the first time in Oct I had to sleep on the couch. I moved into my boy friends parents house at winter break. And I never spent another night at "home". 

My parents moved house after we left home. They just forgot to tell us. I phoned ahead to plan a visit. Dad met me at the coach stop to take me to their new house. Not a word was said! 

They then downsized totally a couple of years later. Sold all our beds, bedroom furniture etc. 

A subtle hint that they would never have any grandchildren staying overnight.

When I moved out of my parents' house, they turned my old bedroom into a guestroom and then an office. (My last bedroom there. We switched rooms as needed. I had 3 different bedrooms growing up.)

I didn't feel shut out or anything. When I've had any serious problems, I've always known that I could talk to my parents and get some help, or at least a sympathetic ear. I also know that they would generally prefer to help me financially to stay out of their house! When I was single and unemployed, they preferred paying my rent until I got a new job to having me move back. I tried not to take advantage, but I preferred that, too!

Karen has a nose ring - it looks super cute! This is in a couple of pics she posted on July 15, where she says she only has a few more days left living at home. Wow. Again: I wonder what has gone on at the Shupes for this change to happen. 

19 hours ago, lauraloralara said:

Karen has a nose ring - it looks super cute! This is in a couple of pics she posted on July 15, where she says she only has a few more days left living at home. Wow. Again: I wonder what has gone on at the Shupes for this change to happen. 

What is Karen's Facebook page called? I can't find it!

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived