IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's the Final (Wedding) Countdown!

choralcrusader8613

13 hours ago, bekkah said:

My point is that culture still values being a mom and a wife as the highest thing a woman can achieve. A man can have a career and that is what his life is about but a woman is more likely to be asked about the state of her uterus. It is heart breaking to see the girls fall into marriages that are possibly unhealthy. 

Completely agree. And I reread my earlier comment and kind of cringed at my hypocrisy--I didn't mean to downplay the pressures women who are unmarried feel. I'm 32 and unmarried and have definitely felt the pressure since even my mid-twenties, and I live in the D.C. area where marrying at 30 is not even blinked at and I'm not even sure I ever want kids. It sucks and I know it can be really hard. 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@subsaharanafrica yeah I don't know about saying direct location but I'm from the suburbs with a lot of country around it  and my husband is from the straight sticks haha. When we go to his home town its the kinda place that his step dad can hunt from out the window sitting in the kichen at the table and people think nothing of it. 

Looks like a beautiful day for a wedding! The sun is shining, it's not super hot, and no chance of rain until well after sunset. Little Rock isn't that far, so they will make it in plenty of time. Of course, rush hour traffic in NWA sucks, so they shouldn't waste too much time in Little Rock. 

11 hours ago, mirele said:

When I heard how much was spent on the wedding, I was glad I wasn't invited, because I would have had a conniption fit. 

So, not to start up wedding wars again, but I don't understand having a conniption fit over what someone else chooses to spend on their wedding. 

It doesn't sound like the bride was asking anyone else for money, and so if her father has the funds and wants to throw her a lavish wedding, what does it matter if she'd like to have 50k floral arrangements and a country club reception? I guess I don't see how this is any more valid than mocking someone for choosing to have a small, informal wedding?

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

I learned in my family science class that when teenagers receive good, in detail sex ed, they tend to practice abstinence more than if they receive abstinence-only education. The average age of people losing gheir virginity has actually gone up (at least for people who participate in these studies). 

I agree with this. The teacher of my high school health class was a breast cancer survivor, and it was of most importance to her to make sure students understood their bodies, how they functioned and when to notice if something didn't seem right. She was so very informative about all health subjects, without any judgment. Unfortunately, her breast cancer came back and she died a few years after I graduated high school.

The better educated I was, the less likely I was to go out and do something reckless with my sexual health. Didn't lose my V-card until I was 20.

On a side note: I also remember getting the "Johnny Gosch" lecture about safety and strangers in elementary school during the early1990s. He was a Des Moines paper boy in the 80s who was kidnapped during a morning route. It's super creepy. There's even a documentary on Netflix about it called "Who Took Johnny?"

Jesus, I'm 29 and that kidnapping story still traumatizes me. Here's an article of the documentary.

http://decider.com/2016/09/26/who-took-johnny-the-documentary-about-the-infamous-cold-case-is-now-on-netflix/

32 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

On a side note: I also remember getting the "Johnny Gosch" lecture about safety and strangers in elementary school during the early1990s. He was a Des Moines paper boy in the 80s who was kidnapped during a morning route. It's super creepy. There's even a documentary on Netflix about it called "Who Took Johnny?"

Jesus, I'm 29 and that kidnapping story still traumatizes me. Here's an article of the documentary.

http://decider.com/2016/09/26/who-took-johnny-the-documentary-about-the-infamous-cold-case-is-now-on-netflix/

UGH, me too, I grew up not to far from the Gosh's and am the same age as Johnny, so when he and Eugene Martin a year later, went missing it affected my whole teenage years. My mother is the type to be afraid of EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING can and will kill you. I couldn't go to the mall with my friends because I would get kidnapped, I couldn't walk to the store because I would get kidnapped (but I could walk a mile and half each way to and from school because she was to lazy to take me), I couldn't go on the French club trip to France because I (and I quote) look Jewish and will get killed by terrorist. I had a large nose, how that makes you look Jewish is beyond me, I look Spanish (because I am).  Everything was "no you'll die" She STILL is afraid of everything, I  can't even blame her Fox "news" habits because she's been like this her whole life.  Her whole life is "what if" she never does anything and gets mad when others do because again it isn't how SHE does it and her way is the only way. 

On a side note I see Noreen Gosh around town a lot and she still wears her hair just like she did in the early 80's, though I suspect it is a wig now, after standing behind her in line at Target a few weeks ago.  She still had blue eye shadow on too. Kind of sad that she's never been able to get on with her life, even as a mother myself, I would think at some point you have to try and make a new normal life for your other kids and yourself.  

2 hours ago, newyorkgirl52 said:

She posted pics of her in Little Rock today though with college friends. And Jinger posted pics from NYC. So my guess is Saturday at the earliest. Or Sunday. 

I doubt that pic was actually from yesterday since it was in the 50's, overcast, with some light rain in NY.  All those guys were in shorts and t-shirts and the ground doesn't look wet.  

I'm betting it is this weekend, if it is a night wedding people don't need to be showing up at TTH or wedding site until 7:00 or so it is almost noon in the central time zone so still 5 more hours at least.  I also realized that the show premiers a week from Monday this weekend gives them just enough time to show a couple selections from the wedding and keep total media silent about it.  This way more people will turn in to see clips of Joy in her wedding finery.  See EXCLUSIVE clips and photos from Joy an Austins wedding on Counting on on TLC Monday June 5th.  I hear the promo now. 

I too am from Southern Ohio (hello fellow Bucks!) and I did not see any of the wedding-pushing or baby-having that seems to be what you all are speaking about. Even so, I graduated in 2002 from high school and out of my less-than-100 graduating class, Id say nearly all of us (from what I can tell according to my class's facebook group and following various classmates) are married and/or have kids now; Id venture to say half were in such a state by the 5yr reunion. Several are even onto their second marriages by now (myself included, so no judgement from me) as it was a MUCH bigger deal to marry your HS sweetheart than it was to hurry to the altar. SO even if it took you five or 10 years to marry them, it was pretty much expected that whomever you were with your senior year would be your first spouse.

I never encountered the grandbaby-crazy people until I met my current husband's family. Holy hell on a biscuit, those people are cray-cray for bay-bays. We are constantly pestered about "the next baby" since it's practically taboo in this family to only have one child. Get-togethers are like a feeding frenzy-- sharks to blood. Or soul-sucking, Im not sure.

4 hours ago, FrozenSmile said:

Looks like a beautiful day for a wedding! The sun is shining, it's not super hot, and no chance of rain until well after sunset. Little Rock isn't that far, so they will make it in plenty of time. Of course, rush hour traffic in NWA sucks, so they shouldn't waste too much time in Little Rock. 

I didn't become a mom until I was 41 and that was through adoption and I didn't get married until I was 48.

Having never been to Arkansas I can't say what the rush hour traffic is like, but is it  bad as the Washington metro area where a two hour commute to go 20 miles is not unusual?  When I took public transportation it would take me at least an hour and a half. Life is better now as I feel very fortunate my commute is now about a minute as I roll out of bed, pee, get a cold coke from the kitchen, and log on to my laptop.  

Okay.. I just tossed in a thread drift on commuting, I'll stop now .. carry on.. :my_blush:

1 hour ago, FrozenSmile said:

it'll probably take place after sunset though, or not?

Hope it turns out the way they want it to.

3 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

The better educated I was, the less likely I was to go out and do something reckless with my sexual health. Didn't lose my V-card until I was 20.

I think it's really a cultural difference, also with over 50% of people around here idintifying as atheist, that means taking religion out of the equation.  First sex Ed class was in elemantary (around age eleven, which included condoms being put on bananas) which was basically repeated yearly.  I don't think it's good nor bad that you didn't lose your virginity until 20, I hope the experience was what you hoped it to be.  And I agree with my parents in not waiting till the last moment because it doesn't have to be something you plan. It happens and if you are prepared, you know when it will be ok.  I and most of my friends lost our virginity in high school, and personally I am very happy I did it back than.  He was my first "great love" and a great guy but we ended the summer after high school. I think I would have wondered if we hadn't done it back then.

Carlin just posted a picture with her boyfriend which could be from the rehearsal dinner (yesterday evening probably) 

As of midnight last night, Tim and Franicia White had made it to Arkansas (driving from Pensacola Florida): 

3 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Ironically, marriage, or rather working everyday to keep our marriage mutually satisfying and a safe haven from everything has become my goal. Other things above are still important of course, but my husband's happiness has become my #1 priority. 

But that is something you can actively do. I think there needs to be a differentiation between having a successful marriage as a goal in a relationship and getting married as a goal. The people I know who actively pursued the latter in the absence of a relationship and got there are not happily married. 

Of course having a successful marriage should be a daily goal for people who are married. But getting married being an active life goal for people who are entirely single is odd to me because, as Maggie Mae pointed out many pages ago, how do you even do that? It is a goal that is entirely dependent on the agreement of another person. And for people who are single--not even in a relationship--it is dependent on the agreement of someone they don't know (or are not close to at the very least). Setting your life goals up to be based on a hypothetical partner is just strange to me. And could set you up for some disappointment. 

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Having never been to Arkansas I can't say what the rush hour traffic is like, but is it  bad as the Washington metro area where a two hour commute to go 20 miles is not unusual?

When I took public transportation it would take me at least an hour and a half. Life is better now as I feel very fortunate my commute is now about a minute as I roll out of bed, pee, get a cold coke from the kitchen, and log on to my laptop.  

Sucking traffic is relative, I've been to DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Portland, Seattle, Midwest traffic outside of Dallas/Chicago is a walk in the park. Sucky rush hour traffic in Des Moines (which is bigger than the Fayetteville/Springdale region it can take an extra 10 minute to get from one side of Des Moines to the other.  Where as getting from one end of K street to the other in DC can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours. 

39 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

I doubt that pic was actually from yesterday since it was in the 50's, overcast, with some light rain in NY.  All those guys were in shorts and t-shirts and the ground doesn't look wet.  

Exactly. Most likely from around the time of their engagement like another poster mentioned.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

The wedding could also be on Monday.

It's possible. I'd bet more on today through Sunday. 

I'm still sticking with my original guess of tomorrow though. I'm stubborn like that. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

But that is something you can actively do. I think there needs to be a differentiation between having a successful marriage as a goal in a relationship and getting married as a goal. The people I know who actively pursued the latter in the absence of a relationship and got there are not happily married.

I think you are generalizing a bit. You don't know with 100% certainty that ALL people who had a goal of getting married prior to being in a relationship are not happily married. I'm sure some, even many of them are.  There are practical things someone can do to increase their chance of finding a partner to marry like only dating people who are interested in a serious relationship and not just a casual fling. 

10 minutes ago, FJismyheadship said:

Why was Krista shunned? What happened?

What do you mean? It appears she made a trip to Arkansas this weekend. My assumption is it's for Joy's wedding.

Just now, VineHeart137 said:

What do you mean? It appears she made a trip to Arkansas this weekend. My assumption is it's for Joy's wedding.

I thought I quoted the person who commented... someone a page or two back said Krista had been shunned, so o was confused. 

2 minutes ago, FJismyheadship said:

I thought I quoted the person who commented... someone a page or two back said Krista had been shunned, so o was confused. 

Oh gotcha. Not sure what that person was talking about. I know people have talked about being surprised that Krista still seems to be relatively good friends with the Duggar girls since she's a pants wearer, attends law school, and was vocally against Trump- but she attended Jinger's wedding so it doesn't seem her relationship with them has changed much. Unless something happened since then that I'm unaware of.

15 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

7 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Oh gotcha. Not sure what that person was talking about. I know people have talked about being surprised that Krista still seems to be relatively good friends with the Duggar girls since she's a pants wearer, attends law school, and was vocally against Trump- but she attended Jinger's wedding so it doesn't seem her relationship with them has changed much. Unless something happened since then that I'm unaware of.

She attended the Women's March in NYC which caused a slight uproar, since Ben's Mom had made a post about how people who marched weren't Christians...so Krista responded back with a blog post about how she was marching BECUASE she was pro-life...and since the election she's become really liberal...a bunch of close Duggar family friends unfollowed her on social media and she made a blog post about how she was defended by a bunch of conservatives so she then made a conservative post which didn't cause the storm she talked about this on her blog....she played a big role in Jinger's wedding but that was before the Woman's March and before the election...and I don't think she's friends with Joy? I bet her and JROD both didn't get invited...or maybe they did invite Krista and will try to save her and hook her up with a fundie guy and convert her back to fundie lol 

I don't think she's there and I think she showed up if it is this weekend to piss them off. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived