IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's the Final (Wedding) Countdown!

choralcrusader8613

13 minutes ago, twinmama said:

What difference does it make if someone calls getting married a goal in their life? It's what they want for their life and they got it. I'd say the important thing is making your life a life you are happy to lead, if that's a graduate degree and high power career, awesome; if it's marriage and babies, awesome. Figuring out how to make your life into a life you are happy with is basically everyone's goal. 

Now whether fundies actually ARE happy with their lives or whether they have any choice in what would make them happy are completely different questions.

I'm sure there are some who are very happy, like the ones who'd have chosen to be at-home moms and wives (like me! but I'm an atheist, so no chance of religious motivation), but I think for some, there's some element of not knowing what they're missing, and for a lot more who we don't see on TV or online, a lot of plastered-on smiles.  What we see online and TV are the more privileged fundies.  We aren't seeing the ones down on the ground living the real fundy experience of struggling.  JB would probably still be struggling it TLC hadn't come along.

55 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

It is crazy.  JB tried to slow down Jeremy and Jinger while they were older and now Joy is only 19 but it seems like it was full speed ahead.  No rhyme or reason with that one.

We know JB likes to be in charge.  It would be harder to control someone like Jeremy who has more worldly experience, than someone like Derick or Ben who are both pretty spineless.  And Austin is pretty young in a small family, and JB might think he'll be easier to control.  

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Also, the Lawson/Jinger secret failed courtship is my FAVORITE FJ conspiracy theory and I want to believe.

mine is that Ma Duggar was in the room when Ben was born 

6 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I'm lost. Who is Noreen Gosch? 

I don't know how she's involved here, but in the early 80's, her son, Johnny, was kidnapped while delivering newspapers.  Back then, police didn't get involved until children had been missing for 72 hours.  There's been concerns he's been swept into the underground sex trade in children.  Some photos have surfaced that look like him.  Nobody knows though.  It's because of Noreen that police now get involved as soon as a report comes in about a missing child.

2 minutes ago, Jug Band Baby said:

I don't know how she's involved here, but in the early 80's, her son, Johnny, was kidnapped while delivering newspapers.  Back then, police didn't get involved until children had been missing for 72 hours.  There's been concerns he's been swept into the underground sex trade in children.  Some photos have surfaced that look like him.  Nobody knows though.  It's because of Noreen that police now get involved as soon as a report comes in about a missing child.

There was a Netflix documentary about the case a few months back (well, I saw it a few months back... might still be there, might have been around for a while).  Johnny Gosch disappeared when I was old enough to pay attention to news and living in the midwest so it was a big deal at the time.  Very weird case.  

Just now, Cheetah said:

There was a Netflix documentary about the case a few months back (well, I saw it a few months back... might still be there, might have been around for a while).  Johnny Gosch disappeared when I was old enough to pay attention to news and living in the midwest so it was a big deal at the time.  Very weird case.  

This one.  I was just about to post the link.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2704816/

I saw it when it came out on Netflix.  Very unsettling.  

God. I don't know how I'd cope if, God forbid, my daughter went missing and the police wouldn't help look for her for three days. That's an eternity to a terrified parent.

Just now, crazysnark said:

Her hair looks like she just rolled out of bed.  

Just like Mama Jill. ;) 

Ok, I started the Johnny Gosch thread by accident. I was referencing how in my elementary school district, (just south of Des Moines) students got the "Johnny Gosch" lecture from our guidance counselor about staying safe from adult predators/kidnapping. It wasn't until years later that I realized my guidance counselor was (most likely) Johnny's aunt.

Through the tenacity of Johnny's parents, specifically his mother Noreen, his case became widely well known. Think Etan Patz of the early 80s Midwest. His face was one of the first used on milk cartons to show missing children. It's more than likely Johnny was kidnapped for a sex trafficking/pedophile ring. And, a couple of years later the same thing happened to another Des Moines paper boy.

Noreen Gosch still advocates for missing children. The Netflix documentary "Who Took Johnny?" has a scene with her visiting the parents of the missing/and later found murdered, Evansdale, Iowa, girls.

Anyways, I don't have many memories of early elementary school, BUT... I can vividly recall about hearing the Johnny Gosch story in second grade. It still traumatizes me to this day.

Here's the trailer for the Netflix documentary on Johnny. I think this quote from Noreen says it all: "The police say they have no crime. (long pause) ... I have no son."

And, now back to wedding watch 2017.

Well, as expected, Austin looks thrilled. :?

9 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

God. I don't know how I'd cope if, God forbid, my daughter went missing and the police wouldn't help look for her for three days. That's an eternity to a terrified parent.

When I couldn't find my elder as an infant, the time to find my phone seemed an eternity.  Then I heard her giggling behind a door that didn't open all the way.  She was hiding in the space between the door and the dresser that blocked the door from opening all the way.  72 hours would drive me insane.

I have a friend whose son was kidnapped and recovered at an airport when his ex-babysitter was caught trying to take the kid to her home country, and my husband's nephew was kidnapped by his mother who had been absent for a few years and recovered at a roach-motel.  I didn't know either when those happened, but the trauma of a child missing between 1 and 2 weeks left marks that have lasted for years.

Her dress also looks just like jill's horribly altered top with some sleeves on it. From what I can see I don't like the look at all

2 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

Her hair looks like she just rolled out of bed.  

Well she is Jill's daughter, so... ;)

Austin looks way too stiff and not at all happy...contrast to Joy but she's had much more practice at it I guess?

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

It is crazy.  JB tried to slow down Jeremy and Jinger while they were older and now Joy is only 19 but it seems like it was full speed ahead.  No rhyme or reason with that one.

I think the difference is that JB has known Austin and his family for many years. I have a theory that the reason why Joy was allowed to be a tomboy was that her parents knew that she had a future husband lined up anyway.

Joy looks gorgeous. Her whole look reminds me of my Mom on her wedding day in the early 70s. I actually like her messy hair.

Now let's not go too crazy arguing about wedding details....

9 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

He can finally have Gothard-sanctioned orgasms.  SHouldn't he look happy instead of like "oh fuck, what now?"

Joy didn't bother doing her hair, it looks.  

And now I'm sad.  Another baby married off without any real choices in the world.  She's going to give Michelle a run for the money in the baby-department.  I speculate she'll have her first by March.

3 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Well, as expected, Austin looks thrilled. :?

Hopefully he's just bad at pictures. Like Chandler Bing ;) 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived