IGNORED

Jana's Future 4 - Family Ties

choralcrusader8613

Thanks all for explaining what you mean by alcove. To me, that was just part of the bedroom. There really isn't any privacy in there, is there? :( Well, at least now Jana can at least probably have her own bed....I hope. 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with the alcove, I still wouldn't think Jana has any privacy in that room.

I couldn't even imagine having to share a bedroom with four little girls at Jana's age (we are the same age). When my younger sister and I were little, we hated sharing a room and it was a happy day for both of us when we got our own bedrooms.

I watched a bit of the clip posted from the redecoration and I would put money down that Jana changed things since. From a previous episode, we saw that Jana and Jessa differ in decorative styles and I could totally see her making slight changes. Which, just saying, I totally would too. Why should Jessa or Jill be included in the room changes when they didn't live there? So weird. 

34 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Thanks all for explaining what you mean by alcove. To me, that was just part of the bedroom. There really isn't any privacy in there, is there? :( Well, at least now Jana can at least probably have her own bed....I hope. 

An early episode of "Counting On" showed it when Anna lived there. It seemed to have clothes racks separating the bed from the rest of the bedroom.

2 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Joy says "there's only 3 older girls sleeping in here now, and the little girls" I believe (her, Jana, Jinger, and the 4 littles). 

Are there really only 5 beds in that room? I know when they built it there were only 5 girls + babies but....how did they fit 9 before 2014?!?! lol

At one point in time, before any of the girls had married, their room was shown with a couple of "pack -in- play" playpens and there was discussion on if the littles were sleeping in those all night every night. 

47 minutes ago, Pasta said:

I watched a bit of the clip posted from the redecoration and I would put money down that Jana changed things since. From a previous episode, we saw that Jana and Jessa differ in decorative styles and I could totally see her making slight changes. Which, just saying, I totally would too. Why should Jessa or Jill be included in the room changes when they didn't live there? So weird. 

because they truly never leave.  Jessa was always there after she got married.  She never left. And she especially had nothing to do before she got pregnant so she had to do something while Ben was working.  Don't forget their whole lives are about being pregnant....she had 4 months before she got pregnant so she would hang out at her house. 

and because when does Jessa not insert herself in 

Wow, thank you singsingsing for this response. This is the type of response I was looking for when I stated my speculative opinion. What you said convinced me (and what some other posters have said above) that I'm likely wrong about Jana having her own room or possibly living somewhere else.

And what you said about Jim Bob is exactly how I feel about him! After the reaction I got about Jana I was way too afraid to say that.

Yay! I'm glad there are people on here I can actually have a interesting discussion with.

And thank you to many of the other posters above. Especially the one who posted the pictures and videos of the girls room. That is what I was looking for.

I wish I had time to read through pages and pages of previous discussion on here before I post, but I don't.

Thanks y'all! I'll keep posting. default_smile.png

I felt kind of sorry for the little girls during the renovation. They wanted to keep the painting of the pony, but were overruled. Another reason to separate the little girls.

41 minutes ago, doubleT said:

At one point in time, before any of the girls had married, their room was shown with a couple of "pack -in- play" playpens and there was discussion on if the littles were sleeping in those all night every night. 

Later on they showed a bunk bed that had a twin bed on top and two toddler beds on the bottom, but I haven't been able to find a picture of it.

Found it! 

@Bethella- I think I counted 7 beds? A couple were double beds but they were still 2 beds short of everyone having their own bed, unless they have some not shown or I counted wrong.

I realize it isn't the end of the world, my grandmother shared a bed with 2 of her sisters until she was married. And then when my grandfather left (Korean war) she moved back home and slept with one of the 2 (The other had married and moved out) and my uncle who was about a year old at the time.

It still makes me sad that they don't even have their own beds. Zero personal space. 

I realize that they probably have their own beds now that it is just the 5 of them in there, but it should have always been that way. 

Just now, nvmbr02 said:

@Bethella- I think I counted 7 beds? A couple were double beds but they were still 2 beds short of everyone having their own bed, unless they have some not shown or I counted wrong.

I counted 7 beds for 9 girls too, but it's still slightly better than the 4 beds for the 7 girls still at home when they redecorated.

The full size beds (originally Jana and Jill's beds) could sleep two or three (depending on the size), so that gives 9 spots for 9 girls. 

At the renovation, they had the two full beds and two twins, so they could have had an older girl in one of the full beds with one of the younger girls, the other three younger girls in the other full bed, and then the two older girls in the twins. 

Now, with only Jana and the little girls left, she could probably have her own bed, and the younger girls would fit fine in the other twins and full. 

And writing that, again I am pressed home with how awful the living situation is for Jana. :( 

I did love the eye rolls on Joy and the side eye on Jana during the renovation clip, though. 

It looks like in Jill's girls room "tour" from before she married, the 4 older girls had 2 fulls and 2 twins, and a bunk bed for 3 was in the corner, and I think Jill said Joy was in the top bunk? I'm guessing joy's original sleigh bed with her name on it got moved to storage somewhere once the little girls got older & Joy got moved to the bunk.

I remember in some post-wedding 2014 19kac clip/episode, Jill telling Derick that Joy had taken over her old bed. That'd put Joy + probably a little in Jill's old bed, little in Joy's old bed, a little in Jessa's old bed, a little with Jana, and Jinger. 

48 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

The full size beds (originally Jana and Jill's beds) could sleep two or three (depending on the size), so that gives 9 spots for 9 girls. 

I guess I don't really care how many "spots" there were. I'm angry the Duggars were cheap enough that they wouldn't buy bunk beds so each girl could have their own bed (they had more than enough bunk beds for the boys). I know that historically siblings often shared beds, but after having to share everything else in their lives, the girls deserve to have their very own beds.

35 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I remember in some post-wedding 2014 19kac clip/episode, Jill telling Derick that Joy had taken over her old bed. That'd put Joy + probably a little in Jill's old bed, little in Joy's old bed, a little in Jessa's old bed, a little with Jana, and Jinger. 

That's still one too many beds, you're counting 5 beds when there were only 4 beds in the video. It looks like there were still only 4 beds after Anna and the kids moved back in. Even if Anna's two boys were in with their uncles and Meredith was in a crib or pack-n-play, that's 9 people for 4 beds.

3 hours ago, Bethella said:

I guess I don't really care how many "spots" there were. I'm angry the Duggars were cheap enough that they wouldn't buy bunk beds so each girl could have their own bed (they had more than enough bunk beds for the boys). I know that historically siblings often shared beds, but after having to share everything else in their lives, the girls deserve to have their very own beds.

Oh, I totally agree. It's messed up. JB being cheap is the only explanation I can come up with for it. 

I consider myself an only child (I have two older brothers but when I was born they were teenagers already and by the time I was 7-8 years old they were out of the house, away in college) so I can't imagine living like Jana. Sharing a room with so many siblings, zero privacy. Ugh.

I guess you can't miss what you've never had so it must be like a routine to her living that way but damn. 

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Oh, I totally agree. It's messed up. JB being cheap is the only explanation I can come up with for it. 

well of course - they got a bunch of free furniture when they moved in courtesy of TLC - what are they gonna do, turn it down? no way! it's much nicer to quash all your children into the one sleeping arrangement with gaudy named headboards to give them the illusion of their own space rather than actually promoting individual, independent living!

3 minutes ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

well of course - they got a bunch of free furniture when they moved in courtesy of TLC - what are they gonna do, turn it down? no way! it's much nicer to quash all your children into the one sleeping arrangement with gaudy named headboards to give them the illusion of their own space rather than actually promoting individual, independent living!

Oh, I never expect JB to turn down furniture. But he could have bought more beds later on. Him being cheap is the only reason he did not. I expect that bunk bed with those toddler beds was his one concession to the younger set of girls getting older, and I'm sure he resented it.

The first time I shared a room was a little dorm room in university. That wasn't so bad, it was me and a wonderful woman who became one of my best friends. We were the same age, many of the same interests, and could stay up late at night giggling. Jana, on the other hand, is 27 and has a bunch of little girls for roommates. I'm sure she's well over the giggling stage and wants to go to sleep. I wish she could have a little bit of privacy but likely that won't happen. 

My sister and I shared a bed from when I was about 5 or 6 until I was 8 (she's 3 years younger than me). It was horrendous. She would kick in her sleep so every so often I would wake up on the floor, and I don't even want to talk about life while she was potty training (let's just say waking up was a nightmare sometimes)...

I would at least hope that by now Jana has her own bed...to have to share a bed with a sister who's almost 20 years younger than you sounds terrible to me.

22 hours ago, Lulu22du said:

I was right that no one on here can say for certain what's going on with Jana because no one knows the Duggars.

This is not necessarily true.  There is a member who posted on one of the Joy wedding threads that seems to know the Duggars and was invited to several of the Duggar weddings (veracity yet to be proven, but likely) and made some comments about Jana.

What strikes me most about the bedsharing/ estimates is that it indicates some of the girls have never/ will never have their own bed. They shared until they moved out and into another shared bed with their husband, (if I'm reading right- thinking of Jill here). 

And just how awful that had to be whenever they were sick, because of the emphasis on accountability they couldn't presumably just go sleep on an air mattress or couch in a different room unless they have a quarantine system. :/ I remember having my own bathroom for the first time in my mid twenties and thinking that was just so so nice, of course then I moved to NYC and you're lucky if you get half a closet. 

@cascaronesYou're correct about Jill. It wouldn't surprise me if she ends up being the only Duggar daughter to never have her own bed.

@The WandererI think it's safe to guess that Jana has her own bed at this point. There appears to be at least four beds in that room the this point - two doubles and two twins. Josie, at 7, is well past the point of needing night feedings and diaper changes. And it appears SmugAnna are no longer living at TTH. My best guess on sleeping arrangements:

1. Jana has one double bed. Two younger girls share the other double bed and the remaining two each take a twin bed.

or

2. Jana shares with Josie (or another sister) via trundle bed and the other daughters each get their own bed. 

Second guess is if their parents are looking to prevent even the tiniest amount of privacy for Jana. I'm leaning more towards some form of option one though. Jana lacks pretty much any privacy either way. 

This is why I feel for Jana. You go from sharing a womb to a room, cause I did too until my older sister went to college. I started sharing a room with both my twin and sister, then my sister till she reached middle school (needed her own time as she got older according to my parents) and then sharing again with my sister because my brother needed his own room cause he was "growing up". 8th grade I was fed up and told my parents since my sister was at college we could move her out and I keep my room (second biggest after my parents which I think is well deserved :P )

Also I remember when I realized there were little beds and not enough for all the girls and will forever be shocked with how they have to share. The disservice these parents do for their children will never stop shocking me. Also since she gives me an introvert vibe I can't imagine never having a second alone.

This is not necessarily true.  There is a member who posted on one of the Joy wedding threads that seems to know the Duggars and was invited to several of the Duggar weddings (veracity yet to be proven, but likely) and made some comments about Jana.

Really, would love to hear those members stories! Still learning the ropes here. What I meant when I said that was about the posters who were responding to my original post here. They acted like they actually knew the Duggars.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived