IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

I found that when my first two were little (they were 20 months apart) and when my third baby was born (about 4 years later) I took a lot more pictures of my older child/ren because I was generally holding/wearing the baby. I just didn't think to take as many pictures of the baby since I was always occupied. I do have plenty of baby pictures of them, but most of those are not of the baby alone, but with older siblings. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know my mom doesn't love me any more than my siblings, but because I was the first baby there are way more pictures of me than any my siblings. I have four huge photo albums, including one for each of the first three years of my life. My brother, the second child, has one photo album for his baby and toddler years and then one for the rest of his childhood, and then my other siblings have none. My sisters have been working on one lately but because they're identical twins we're often not even sure who is in their baby pictures.

This conversation about baby order and number of photos reminds me of the time when Claudia thought she was adopted in the Baby-sitter's club. (I think it was #33, Claudia and the Great Search.) Anyway, Claudia thought she was adopted because there were no baby pictures of her. Her parents or grandmother Mimi ended up telling her that they had so many pictures of Janine because Janine was first and they were new parents. And yes, I'm pointing to the BSC for teaching me life lessons. 

17 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

This conversation about baby order and number of photos reminds me of the time when Claudia thought she was adopted in the Baby-sitter's club. (I think it was #33, Claudia and the Great Search.) Anyway, Claudia thought she was adopted because there were no baby pictures of her. Her parents or grandmother Mimi ended up telling her that they had so many pictures of Janine because Janine was first and they were new parents. And yes, I'm pointing to the BSC for teaching me life lessons. 

And Janine was a genius anyway and their parents clearly favored her intellectual achievements to Claudia's artistic achievements and ability to hide junk food and junk novels all over her bedroom. Thanks for making me realize I remember WAY too much from this series after not having read it for over 20 years!

(And this is completely unrelated, but for some reason another memory popped into my mind and made me laugh. When I was about 13, I had my stepdad return some library books for me, including a Sweet Valley Twins Mystery. My stepdad is a Manly Man. But for some damn reason that book piqued his interest and he ended up reading the whole thing before he returned it! My sister and I thought it was the funniest thing ever. I think he regretted telling us after seeing how amusing we found it.)

19 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

BSC?? I never owned the collection, but I used to read them when I was little, watched the tv show, and was so excited when the movie came out. I wonder if they would even have any books at the libraries nearby. I used to read Sweet Valley High, and of course, Goosebumps. 

46 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

If it's good enough for Kimmy Schmidt is good enough for me

On 3/28/2017 at 9:14 PM, Hmmm_idolatry said:

In the description of this event, it says something like, "Jessa has chosen modest living."   That's hilarious.  First of all, she didn't choose it-she was raised by brainwashed parents who are part of a cult that requires modesty.  Secondly, I'm pretty sure modest living doesn't involve numerous selfies in tight shirts on Instagram, or having a reality tv show.  But, then again, what do I know.  I defraud the hell out of people 24/7 by showing my legs, arms, and shoulders. 

The skin-tight shirts in her instagram photos are the opposite of modest, lol. I Dream of Jeannie wasn't allowed to show her belly button on tv, but Jessa is posting photos joking about how hers looks like a pop up turkey timer? Lol. I have some fundie fb friends who constantly allude to sex once they're married, post endlessly about their pregnancies, and generally behave like the Duggars on social media.

It seems like the constant sex innuendos and flaunting of the pregnant bellies are these kids' way of expressing themselves as sexual beings, now that they are finally "allowed" to. Yes most pregnant moms share tummy photos but I feel like lots of fundies do it more of a "look I had sex" way than an "I'm excited to have a child" way. 

17 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

Spoken exactly like my husband... I had a feeling someone would make that comment lol. Yeah yeah, everything is made of chemicals but there are somethings that your body shouldn't consume. Like why do they need to add food coloring to everyday food just to make it look better? 

Reminds me of when I did daycare.  I provided breakfast and tried to vary what I served, but sometimes I had to reach for a box of cereal.  One day while dropping off their son, a father told me I'd scared the crap out of him.  The evening before he'd changed the boy's diaper and found neon colored poop!  I'd fed the kids a cheap version of Fruit Loops the day before.  The kids loved it, being as it was all sweet and brightly colored, but it did do interesting things to their stools.

8 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I know my mom doesn't love me any more than my siblings, but because I was the first baby there are way more pictures of me than any my siblings. I have four huge photo albums, including one for each of the first three years of my life. My brother, the second child, has one photo album for his baby and toddler years and then one for the rest of his childhood, and then my other siblings have none. My sisters have been working on one lately but because they're identical twins we're often not even sure who is in their baby pictures.

We joke that we can only identify which baby is which by the furniture around them in the baby pictures. My husband's family has very strong genes- all blonde with blue eyes. His sister married a man who is Puerto Rican and we thought, hey, finally a dark haired baby! Nope, she's as blonde, fair skinned as my girls. His genes made no impact at all ;) 

2 hours ago, Flossie said:

Reminds me of when I did daycare.  I provided breakfast and tried to vary what I served, but sometimes I had to reach for a box of cereal.  One day while dropping off their son, a father told me I'd scared the crap out of him.  The evening before he'd changed the boy's diaper and found neon colored poop!  I'd fed the kids a cheap version of Fruit Loops the day before.  The kids loved it, being as it was all sweet and brightly colored, but it did do interesting things to their stools.

This is the scenario in the beginning of one of Stephen King's books -- The Tommyknockers, perhaps?  I can't recall.  Something about kids eating cereal with red food coloring and then barfing up red which scared the parents -- and it wasn't that the cereal had anything wrong that made the kids barf, just that kids do barf sometimes, that's just normal life, but cerealmakers using red dye for kids' food isn't a good marketing strategy...  I wish I could remember how that bit played into the rest of the plot but whichever book it was, it's been decades since I read it and I just don't recall.  Off to Google...

Wasn't there a creepy SVH where there was like a third twin that was crazy and going to knock off one of them and take over their life? 

That was Jessica pretending to be a third twin. Oh, Jessica and her silly hijinks. 

I'm a few pages late on the diaper discussion, but the only reason it surprises me that Jessa would post a photo of Spurg only in a diaper is because of the modesty rules Duggars have. They slap leggings on all the little girls when they were a baby, but it's okay for a boy to be in just a diaper?

Personally, I never let my own kids play in just their diapers because my friends would have horror stories of walking away to find poop smeared everywhere because they were just in a diaper and they took it off. No way, not dealing. Onesies for life. 

20 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm a few pages late on the diaper discussion, but the only reason it surprises me that Jessa would post a photo of Spurg only in a diaper is because of the modesty rules Duggars have. They slap leggings on all the little girls when they were a baby, but it's okay for a boy to be in just a diaper?

Personally, I never let my own kids play in just their diapers because my friends would have horror stories of walking away to find poop smeared everywhere because they were just in a diaper and they took it off. No way, not dealing. Onesies for life. 

To be fair, we don't actually know if Jessa would let a baby girl wear only a diaper. We've only seen the Michelle and Anna deal with baby girls. And neither Michelle or Anna let their sons wear only a diaper (as far as we know). 

And maybe Spurgeon is at a stage where he just takes off all his clothes, so it's easier to let him be rather than force clothes on him multiple times a day. 

11 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

And Janine was a genius anyway and their parents clearly favored her intellectual achievements to Claudia's artistic achievements and ability to hide junk food and junk novels all over her bedroom. Thanks for making me realize I remember WAY too much from this series after not having read it for over 20 years!

I can't even imagine how frustrated Claudia's parents must be. They have one "genius" daughter... and Claudia. Claudia, who at 13, can barely write a sentence. Has probably never written a sentence in the entire book without misspelling at least one word. Claudia, who spends all of her time on fashion, art, and babysitting, except when she needs to put forth a bare minimum of extra effort into learning how to spell. She was sent backwards to 7th grade! Not even "held back, " Sent back. And she gets tutoring and help and then gets better until she doesn't. Even her art teacher in New York, New York, told her she lacked discipline. Then again, her parents don't take away her phone and continue to let her have a million preteen girls over 3xs a week. 

Oh, BSC! I loved Claudia. And Dawn. Dawn was my favorite. When I was a kid my mom bought a whole box full of those books for me at a garage sale. There were like 50 of them, and it was the best thing ever. Did anyone read the Babysitter's Little Sister books when you were really young?

49 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I can't even imagine how frustrated Claudia's parents must be. They have one "genius" daughter... and Claudia. Claudia, who at 13, can barely write a sentence. Has probably never written a sentence in the entire book without misspelling at least one word. Claudia, who spends all of her time on fashion, art, and babysitting, except when she needs to put forth a bare minimum of extra effort into learning how to spell. She was sent backwards to 7th grade! Not even "held back, " Sent back. And she gets tutoring and help and then gets better until she doesn't. Even her art teacher in New York, New York, told her she lacked discipline. Then again, her parents don't take away her phone and continue to let her have a million preteen girls over 3xs a week. 

Her parents should have gotten her help when she was much younger... reading/writing is a habit, it's easier to learn some things at 6-8 than at 13. I think she had a learning disability, and they didn't get help. Of course the horrible way they treated the child who had autism just shows it was written in quite a different time! I did hear it's being revamped for a new audience. 

I was team Stacey, btw. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm surprised, too. It doesn't seem modest, and I'm curious to see if there will be a double standard in the future when/if they have little girls.

My older kids were always dressed, but my little one ran around in diapers because we lived in a hot climate. I used cloth diapers and never had a diaper leak or a poop explosion. My little one collected things outside and stored them in his diaper, so I found stuff when I changed him, like pennies and rocks. I think he liked to keep his diaper on for storage. We used disposable swim diapers because the community pool required it, and those are the only diapers the kids ever took off on their own. I think the plastic disposable diapers must be itchy and sweaty because my friends kids would take their diapers off all of the time. 

38 minutes ago, emscm said:

Oh, BSC! I loved Claudia. And Dawn. Dawn was my favorite. When I was a kid my mom bought a whole box full of those books for me at a garage sale. There were like 50 of them, and it was the best thing ever. Did anyone read the Babysitter's Little Sister books when you were really young?

Yes! Although truth be told, I was never a big fan of Karen. She was just okay. I liked her friends better.

My favorite BSC girl was Mary-Anne (because she was the shy one, and I was too), then Kristy. I loved their friendship and I remember being mad when Dawn entered the picture and it seemed like she was replacing Kristy as Mary-Anne's best friend. I did warm up to Dawn though, I was happy when her mom married Mary-Anne's dad. At the end, I really liked all the girls in the club except Mallory, I never really cared for her for some reason.

I read a few of the Sweet Valley books, but I was never as into them as I was into the BSC. My friend told me they got kind of weird toward the end off the high school era and then when the twins went off to college. She mentioned that Elizabeth had an affair with her professor or something?

6 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I wasn't allowed to read the Babysitters' Club books for some reason.

Well considering your parents were Fundie, I mean...

Kristy clearly was a lesbian, and pushing the gay agenda through her softball team. Stacey's parents are divorced. Vegetarian, anti-2A Dawn is clearly an SJW fifth column hell bent on corrupting suburban Connecticut. And Mary Ann, the sole skirts-only girl in the books, is being corrupted by Logan Bruno. They didn't even court but went on unsupervised dates for god sakes!

Things were kind of wild out in Stony Brook.

8 minutes ago, send*the*ferrets said:

I was team Stacey, btw. 

Team Stacey ftw! But even at age nine I knew I did not have the inherent coolness to be Stacey, so I settled for a combo of Claudia, Dawn, and Jessie (because she did ballet like me). Never cared for Mallory. Even in fourth grade, I thought Mary Ann was kind of a killjoy and would totally narc on Claudia and Stacey for taking a bong hit or sneaking out once they were in high school.

I also had a "Kid Kit" that I'd made for when I began baby sitting. Did anyone ever see the TV show on HBO? I loved the "free" HBO weekends so I could watch that. They always seemed to play the same two or three episodes though.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived