IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we're on the subject: The definitive ranking of Baby-Sitters Club Cover Outfits!

I think this proves once and for all that BSC would not be deemed acceptable for Fundie girls. Too many of the BSC's outfits do not draw attention to their countenances! (Case in point, Stacey's outfit on "Stacey's Lie." I wanted that outfit when I was 12 and I want it today!) Some hairdos are pretty Gothard approved, though.

It's not really fair to snark on the BCS outfits, we are talking about books printed in the late 80's/early 90's.  That's a pretty awesome ranking though (duuuuude). 

The plot lines from those SVH books were crazy.  I don't think I read up to when there were all the evil twins running around.  I thought it was dark when they had Regina die of a cocaine overdose and Enid had been temporarily paralyzed in the plane crash.  Some chick was obsessed with the twins and on the run from murdering several people?  AND she has her own evil twin??  WTF.  Telenovela for the tween set.  

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I was a Redwall fanatic!

Same!!!!! My brother, sister, and I all loved the books. I legit wanted to live in Redwall. The food alone sounded phenomenal (I'm highly motivated by food.)

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I read Judy Blume. Blubber was my jam. 

I loved Judy Bloom. Are You There God, It's Me Margaret was one of my favourite books for a long time! Even though it was slightly ancient when I read it. I loved Beverly Cleary too. Ramona, Beezus, Fudge, and Henry; oh the adventures that they had! :)

Oh I loved Beverly Cleary's books as well. The Ramona series was my favorite series until Harry Potter came out. I also loved Judy Blume's Fudge series.

1 hour ago, JMO said:

It's not really fair to snark on the BCS outfits, we are talking about books printed in the late 80's/early 90's.  That's a pretty awesome ranking though (duuuuude). 

The plot lines from those SVH books were crazy.  I don't think I read up to when there were all the evil twins running around.  I thought it was dark when they had Regina die of a cocaine overdose and Enid had been temporarily paralyzed in the plane crash.  Some chick was obsessed with the twins and on the run from murdering several people?  AND she has her own evil twin??  WTF.  Telenovela for the tween set.  

There is a person who wrote a dissertation on SVH.  The writer later turned it into a book called, "If you lived here, you'd be perfect".  I was a huge SVH and BSC fan as a kid, and I loved "If you lived here".  She snarks the hell out of those books, and it's just a delight to read.  

I remember SVH being somewhat risque. I was a somewhat advanced reader and so I was very young when I read them. I didn't want my mom to read them because I was afraid she'd make me stop.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Same!!!!! My brother, sister, and I all loved the books. I legit wanted to live in Redwall. The food alone sounded phenomenal (I'm highly motivated by food.)

I didn't read Redwall (or so many other great books; Narnia, anyone?) until I became a mom. My mom had her set of the Little House books from childhood that I read in early elementary, but the titles that stick out the most in my mind are The Blue Heron, The Doll in the Garden, and Island of the Blue Dolphin. My elementary best friend loved the BSC books, but I could never get into them. 

Redwall, Little House on the Prairie (which I still love), anything by Sharon Creech or Kit Pearson. Did anyone ever read The Moorchild? I think the author was Elouise McGraw. Still one my favourites to this day. I was absolutely obsessed with Harry Potter, but didn't get into it till I was 12 or 13. And I was 13 when I got into Lord of the Rings, my greatest obsession of all!

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Redwall, Little House on the Prairie (which I still love), anything by Sharon Creech or Kit Pearson. Did anyone ever read The Moorchild? I think the author was Elouise McGraw. Still one my favourites to this day. I was absolutely obsessed with Harry Potter, but didn't get into it till I was 12 or 13. And I was 13 when I got into Lord of the Rings, my greatest obsession of all!

Haven to heard of "The Moorchild." I was obsessed with LOTR and HP starting around that age too though.

(I was going to mention HP, but I thought the other books deserved a chance to be the center of attention for once. Lol!)

12 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I didn't read Redwall (or so many other great books; Narnia, anyone?) until I became a mom. My mom had her set of the Little House books from childhood that I read in early elementary, but the titles that stick out the most in my mind are The Blue Heron, The Doll in the Garden, and Island of the Blue Dolphin. My elementary best friend loved the BSC books, but I could never get into them. 

I think we read "Island of the Blue Dolphins" in school. Can't remember. I know I read it though. It was a really good book.

Read Redwall as an adult and loved them. Weren't around when I was a kid. We just had Enid Blyton and Arthur Ransome. Swallows and Amazon's, anyone? Also Narnia, LOTR. Lots of great YA fiction out there.

I never got into BSC (I just couldn't keep up with the quantity of characters) but I liked Boxcar Children and Goosebumps a lot, and of course Harry Potter. In retrospect, I was a really serious kid, haha...  my favorite "kids" (tween-ish) novels were things like Number the Stars, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, The Cat Who Went to Heaven, The Giver.... depressing, heavy stuff that I could still get school reading credit for.

2 hours ago, jerkit said:

I remember SVH being somewhat risque. I was a somewhat advanced reader and so I was very young when I read them. I didn't want my mom to read them because I was afraid she'd make me stop.

I had the same thoughts about SVH! I remember thinking I should hold the book cover flat against the table so she wouldn't see the cover. Looking back, my mom read all sorts of trashy romance novels so I don't think she would have really cared. 

I actually started reading Harry Potter really young, I started it in maybe second or third grade? My mother would read a chapter a night with me, and I read more and more on my own. I loved the Discworld books by the late great Terry Pratchett, especially the Wee Free Men ones. Did anyone else read the Keys to the Kingdom series (Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, etc), or Sabriel, both by Garth Nix? They were (and still are) really cool, original fantasy books that are unlike any I've ever read, because there's no tall pretty elves or dwarves in their mountains or dragons. He's not pretending to be Tolkien. It's all about magic sigils and necromancy, prophecy and folklore... really neat stuff. No one else I know actually read them as a child/tween.

It makes me sad that so many fundie kids miss out on so many awesome books. These crazy stories shaped my life, my views, my writing style... I feel like books have made me who I am today, and I'm better for it. They don't have that option.

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I read Judy Blume. Blubber was my jam. 

i have wifey and forever still :D

3 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Oh I loved Beverly Cleary's books as well. The Ramona series was my favorite series until Harry Potter came out. I also loved Judy Blume's Fudge series.

I am following Judy Blume on Facebook and I LOVED beverly Clearly's books 

In addition to BSC and SVT, I was obsessed with Noel Streatfeild's "Shoes" books. I even tied a rag doll to my headboard like Sorrell had in Theater Shoes.

Did anyone else ever read The Dollhouse Murders or Wait Till Helen Comes? I loved reading, but could never get into science fiction or fantasy. I loved ghost stories and mysteries though. Still do.

@jerkit Sweet Valley University was even more risque! I was an advanced reader as well and began reading them in fourth grade--around the time I began to like boys and was fascinated by the fact that adults had sex. I remember hiding them in my room so my mom wouldn't see that they were marked 14 & up.

21 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

I actually started reading Harry Potter really young, I started it in maybe second or third grade? My mother would read a chapter a night with me, and I read more and more on my own. I loved the Discworld books by the late great Terry Pratchett, especially the Wee Free Men ones. Did anyone else read the Keys to the Kingdom series (Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, etc), or Sabriel, both by Garth Nix? They were (and still are) really cool, original fantasy books that are unlike any I've ever read, because there's no tall pretty elves or dwarves in their mountains or dragons. He's not pretending to be Tolkien. It's all about magic sigils and necromancy, prophecy and folklore... really neat stuff. No one else I know actually read them as a child/tween.

I loved The Wee Free Men! I also loved Sabriel - couldn't really get into the sequels, though.

7 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

o.

@jerkit Sweet Valley University was even more risque! I was an advanced reader as well and began reading them in fourth grade--around the time I began to like boys and was fascinated by the fact that adults had sex. I remember hiding them in my room so my mom wouldn't see that they were marked 14 & up.

would it be wrong to order Sweet Valley University on amazon at my age :D

1 minute ago, nst said:

No way. Go for it ;) 

1 hour ago, NakedKnees said:

my favorite "kids" (tween-ish) novels were things like Number the Stars, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, The Cat Who Went to Heaven, The Giver....

Number the Stars was my favorite book for a while! 

3 minutes ago, nst said:

No lie- I LOVED Judy Blume and my summer plan is to re-read all of her books on my kindle. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived