IGNORED

Seewalds 20 - Fashionably Modest and Baby Curls

choralcrusader8613

2 minutes ago, send*the*ferrets said:

First off- let me say I have *no issue whatsoever* with spurgeon lounging in a diaper. I have kids 7 and under and have the rule that you have to at least have on underwear at the dinner table. But- she is giving a speech on modesty that infants can't even attend, yet it's okay for said infants to be naked on Instagram? I suppose she is just saying infants are distracting? But that kind of spits in the face of the whole "a woman's 1 job is to produce as many kids as possible"- normally at least "lap babies" are allowed. I dunno. It seems weird to me. I would think a tiny nursing baby would be allowed. 

I wonder if small children aren't allowed so that these women, for one time a year, have a religious excuse to leave their children behind? Did the convention hosts feel sorry for them? (I love children, but I think all moms can use some alone time.) No, surely not, but I can't figure out the reasoning.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, luxfilia said:

I wonder if small children aren't allowed so that these women, for one time a year, have a religious excuse to leave their children behind? Did the convention hosts feel sorry for them? (I love children, but I think all moms can use some alone time.) No, surely not, but I can't figure out the reasoning.

I went to a work event when my middle kiddo was still nursing, my husband went with me (at our cost) and I just met up with him and nursed in the lobby of the hotel but that feels like it would go against the point of a modesty convention. My babies hate covers though. 

10 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Jessa has always seemed to be the one most into healthy eating. We've snarked on how dull and simple her meals are in the past, but at least it's not twelve cans mixed together with a pound of cheese on top. I don't particularly enjoy kombucha, unless it's coconut lime flavored... mixed with lime juice... and gin. I think that negates the health benefits, though.

I hope those kids grow up with good, healthy meals and enough food to go around. That story with Jill hiding in the bathroom really breaks my heart. I hope they've planned for when they have eleventy kids and the TLC gravy train runs out.

ETA: Whoops, wrong Seewald! I think my points still make sense though, even if Jessa isn't drinking kombucha.

I think some people don't recognise that it can take time to learn to cook and Jessa was never really taught to make good, tasty healthy meals. She was taught to make tater tot casserole. I was never taught to cook growing up. I spent a lot of my early adult years out of home eating sandwiches, instant microwave meals, toast and take-out. My boyfriend is teaching me to cook because he did grow up cooking and I'm still no Betty Crocker, but I am getting a lot better. It takes time. It is the one thing I will give Jessa a break about. At least she has shown an interest in cooking and preparing healthy meals. That's a good sign Spurg and Henry will eat better than she did as a child. 

28 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I think some people don't recognise that it can take time to learn to cook and Jessa was never really taught to make good, tasty healthy meals. She was taught to make tater tot casserole. I was never taught to cook growing up. I spent a lot of my early adult years out of home eating sandwiches, instant microwave meals, toast and take-out. My boyfriend is teaching me to cook because he did grow up cooking and I'm still no Betty Crocker, but I am getting a lot better. It takes time. It is the one thing I will give Jessa a break about. At least she has shown an interest in cooking and preparing healthy meals. That's a good sign Spurg and Henry will eat better than she did as a child. 

Agreed. It takes time and she has shown interest, IIRC she mentioned Trim, Healthy Mama recipes, or something similar. 

I ate really healthy growing up, but was never taught how to boil water. I lived on vitamin shakes and protein shakes in college because it was the only thing I knew how to make. (Add water and shake.) It wasn't until I had kids that I started buying real food, and I didn't cook or season it. We ate healthy by default. It was almost all raw fruit and vegetables until I got invited to a Pampered Chef party. The only thing I could afford was the $5 cookbook. It changed my life. I thought cooking was a special skill only certain people were born with, and I wasn't one of them. I eventually spent a summer cooking in a commercial kitchen, and I LOVE cooking now. People tell me I should go on Chopped, and I laugh when people say, "well, you're a natural chef, it comes easy for you." Uhhh... I wish they could see the cast iron skillet that stayed adhered to my linoleum kitchen floor in my first apartment. I set it down on the floor when it was hot and it wouldn't come off. For months. I even had a party with it there and watched as one guest after another tried to pull it off. I didn't get my deposit back. It definitely takes time to learn how to cook.

2 hours ago, luxfilia said:

I'm actually not a beer fan at all, either, but I love kombucha. I guess it's something you just have to try. "Beery" was the best thing I could think of. The alcoholic content is extremely negligible, pretty much the same as in kimchi or any fermented thing, I think. Anyhow, plenty of people drink them at work (I work at a public school) and even the strictest pregnant people I know (no caffeine whatsoever, no Tylenol whatsoever, etc.), still drink them. Definitely no buzz from it, lol.

ETA- I supposed kombucha brewed at home could have a higher alcohol cotent, but the "Synergy" and other brands brought in the store don't.

I know what you're saying, but I have to be that person: healthy eating can be VERY cheap, depending on what you consider "healthy." For me, it's eating a plant-based (vegan) diet. Beans, sweet potatoes, spinach, bananas, whole wheat pasta, rice, and even quinoa, etc., are very cheap in the southern United States.

I also shop for my husband, who eats the standard American diet, and his groceries-- chicken, ingredients for homemade pizza, sandwich ingredients, etc.-- always cost more and run out quicker (even doing it the thriftiest way possible. Just saying.

It can be. Unless you live in a food desert. Then you pretty much take what you can get and hope you don't go broke trying to feed yourself or your family.

(Different issue, but it's important to note that not everyone has reliable access to a grocery store with those healthy items you mentioned.)

5 hours ago, kmary1 said:

I find it really hilarious that this is a godaddy website.

In the description of this event, it says something like, "Jessa has chosen modest living."   That's hilarious.  First of all, she didn't choose it-she was raised by brainwashed parents who are part of a cult that requires modesty.  Secondly, I'm pretty sure modest living doesn't involve numerous selfies in tight shirts on Instagram, or having a reality tv show.  But, then again, what do I know.  I defraud the hell out of people 24/7 by showing my legs, arms, and shoulders. 

13 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

It can be. Unless you live in a food desert. Then you pretty much take what you can get and hope you don't go broke trying to feed yourself or your family.

(Different issue, but it's important to note that not everyone has reliable access to a grocery store with those healthy items you mentioned.)

My oldest daughter is working for Americorps for a year, and based in WV. She said there are towns so down and out where the only place to get groceries is a dollar general. 

Cooking/eating healthy doesn't come easy to everyone. I grew up in a family that didn't eat dinners at home- we ate out 3-5 times a week and cereal or grilled cheese filled in the gaps. I've tried to learn, and I have done fairly well but it is a process. I bought the first Rachel Ray cookbook when I was just starting and it was a total mystery- I had never heard of olive oil before. The ingredients do seem a bit intimidating/expensive at first. I have come a long way for sure, and I hope the Duggar spawn can too. Having more money definitely helps- its hard to experiment with a $10-15 cut of meat if it may not work out. 

36 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I thought I made that clear by saying "CAN" be and using the phrase "southern United States." Correct me where I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most grocery stores in the southern United States have bananas, beans, rice, and potatoes. I've lived and traveled to lots of small towns and rural areas in these states (and grew up in a remote southern U.S. area where my family still has no access to Internet). Also, it's easy to grow your own veggies in this climate. Many do, even now that I live near the city (haybale growing). My point wasn't about people around the world having access to healthy food, though. I know that's a HUGE problem in much of my country and the rest of the world. I meant to speak specifically about Jessa. For her situation, she wouldn't HAVE to start eating processed food again just because she suddenly got way less allowance from JB.

12 minutes ago, send*the*ferrets said:

Cooking/eating healthy doesn't come easy to everyone. I grew up in a family that didn't eat dinners at home- we ate out 3-5 times a week and cereal or grilled cheese filled in the gaps. I've tried to learn, and I have done fairly well but it is a process. I bought the first Rachel Ray cookbook when I was just starting and it was a total mystery- I had never heard of olive oil before. The ingredients do seem a bit intimidating/expensive at first. I have come a long way for sure, and I hope the Duggar spawn can too. Having more money definitely helps- its hard to experiment with a $10-15 cut of meat if it may not work out. 

I used Rachael Ray and loved that she never called for "bad" ingredients, but her dishes are straightforward yet "hearty". Think three sons. 

@fluffernutter I'll have to google Americorps. Your daughter is doing a great thing. Not making piñatas I guess. Sad to hear about the Dollar General for food, very sad. 

I'd argue that the main problem with almost any type of food is portion control- too much rice, beans, and bananas still breaks down to a lot of starch. 

There are tons of places in the rural south where all you can shop is Dollar General. They build them in the middle of nowhere. I grew up watching them multiply. It's a real problem with the lack of public transportation, but it's better than absolutely nothing (not for anything healthy, though, of course). With no public transportation, I know disabled people or those without alternate means of transport do struggle. One good thing my church did growing up was regularly deliver food to people. All a real problem, but for those who can grow a garden (or have a neighbor who do), we do have a great climate for that. It helps with the fresh stuff. (I now live near and work in Nashville, so my experience with food shortage these days has to do more with the children I work with everyday and their not-so-great situations.) All of this is very close to my heart. 

I've been told that, consistent with what has been mentioned here, most Americans are vitamin D deficient.  Spending time outside is good for you in general (except for the whole skin cancer thing, of course), but I've been told that even ranchers who are outdoors an extreme amount of time are still often vitamin D deficient.  I'm not sure it's even possible for the average person to get enough D through sun or through natural means (ie in food in which it naturally occurs, as opposed to foods fortified with it).

I don't have any answers on this, just wanted to add this perspective.

ETA -- just realized I posted this in the wrong thread -- it was intended for the Jinger/Jeremy thread where vitamins and in particular vitamin D deficiency is being discussed.  Sorry for the non-sequitur here!

20 minutes ago, send*the*ferrets said:

I'd argue that the main problem with almost any type of food is portion control- too much rice, beans, and bananas still breaks down to a lot of starch. 

I feel ya. A lot of people feel that way. I wouldn't suggest those types of foods if I didn't think they had merit, though, even more than meat, dairy, and such. I have what many would think a flawed view on food, and have no problem admitting that, since I feel I am well-informed and make sure to only trust credible research. I'm sure you do the same! There is conflicting evidence out there, and when you look at who indirectly funds certain foods studies, it muddles the results all the more.  Thank goodness we're free to come to our own conclusions, which is fair. 

I'm confident that humans can survive (healthfully) on a higher starch diet (with the right things added in, true, but it doesn't take as much as people think, in my humble opinion). I do believe that sugary and high-fat starches have been proven to show negative results, but I don't believe that's necessarily the case when studying JUST starchy plant foods. I definitely don't ONLY eat starchy plant foods, but I think they can be beneficial and don't tend to lead to overeating so much when, sugar and fats are not combined with them. Studies testing JUST naturally fat-free, plant-based starches (with nothing added) are not as common, but show better results.

My aunt was just diagnosed with colon cancer (and there is a LOT of cancer in my family), and only NOW does the doctor suggest diet changes similar to the ones I've been sticking with for years (with very healthy test results at my own doctors' and with improved hormonal function, etc.) . . . 

Sorry for the short rant; I have read lots of research so I won't really change my opinion anytime soon, but I certainly don't expect anyone else to either! I tried the OPPOSITE diet--still very "clean," but more traditionally "balanced", and more focused on proteins and allowing more saturated fats in general (like good old butter, coconut oil,  olive oil, and things like that)--and did not do well health-wise and felt I was always hungry, as opposed to now (and yes, I was keeping up with my calorie and nutritional intake on myfitnesspal at the time, mainly just to check that I was meeting my recommended daily allowance of vitamins, minerals, etc., which I still do very occasionally). That's anecdotal, but when doctors have monitored me and I have improved health, so that's what I go with. To each her own! 

FYI my vitamin D was low BEFORE going vegan, and not after. I think it's also hormone-related for me.

I was tested and was extremely deficient in both D and B12.  Endocrinologist told me most people who take drugs for diabetes  or any type of antacid will be deficient in these two vitamins in particular.

@luxfilia I have had gestational diabetes twice and monitor my blood sugar regularly because I am high risk for developing type two down the road. For me personally, lower carb/higher protein is healthier. I've done the blood gluclose testing and seen the effects on my blood sugar when I eat something that is higher in sugar- even healthy starches. Once I got my blood sugar under control, my headaches I had in pregnancy totally disappeared. I don't think NO carb is the answer- I think there needs to be balance. 

ETA- @Lurker I also have to take vitamin supplements daily and had to do B shots for awhile bc I was super low. Makes you feel awful! 

@send*the*ferrets, I agree that higher protein with lower carbs helps with glucose control.  I also don't get better reading after a so called healthy carb like a portion of sweet potato over a white one.   My body proceeses a carbs equally poorly. 

31 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

I thought I made that clear by saying "CAN" be and using the phrase "southern United States." Correct me where I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most grocery stores in the southern United States have bananas, beans, rice, and potatoes. I've lived and traveled to lots of small towns and rural areas in these states (and grew up in a remote southern U.S. area where my family still has no access to Internet). Also, it's easy to grow your own veggies in this climate. Many do, even now that I live near the city (haybale growing). My point wasn't about people around the world having access to healthy food, though. I know that's a HUGE problem in much of my country and the rest of the world. I meant to speak specifically about Jessa. For her situation, she wouldn't HAVE to start eating processed food again just because she suddenly got way less allowance from JB.

Yes, I acknowledged you said "can be" in my post. I just thought it was important to specifically mention food deserts though. 

I also didn't realize you were specifically addressing Jessa's situation with the part of your post I addressed. Knowing that now, yes I agree that she likely doesn't need to worry about access to healthy foods. She likely doesn't need to worry about prices either, but it's always good to get in the habit of saving money when you can.

@Lurker yup, there were no "good carbs" or "bad carbs"- a banana would spike my blood sugar just the same as cake! Obviously I'm not saying they are equal nutritionally, but I think it's important to realize that bananas do contain a fair bit of sugar. I just had to learn to eat 1/2 a banana with a spoonful of peanut butter, or some cottage cheese or whatever to help balance it. Everything in moderation... even tatertot casserole could be ok once in while it's a tiny serving with double the amount of meat, and a large salad.

edit- riffles

and also- by okay, I don't mean "best choice out there", but with proper portions and some adjustments I don't think it has to lead to heart attack at 30 if eaten once every few months 

8 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

It's funny how differently everyone seems to view Jessa and Ben's relationship. My take is that after Spurgeon they went through a rough patch - probably realizing that married with kids doesn't equal happily ever after. Ben seemed snappy and short tempered with Jessa, and she seemed passive aggressive and picky with him. However, in the last year, while pregnant with Henry, their interactions seemed much less tense and more amicable. Jessa seems to have settled quite happily into her new role as Mom and enjoying the status it gives her in the fundie community after the initial adjustment period. Ben seems much irritable and more confident, probably because he has this minister-in-training plan now (long distance preacher school and that upcoming speaking event). I'll never see him as a preacher but he might do ok as a youth minister. Hopefully they'll never sic him on an inner city community. Sometimes I wonder if the people who say Jessa and Ben are in a dysfunctional relationship haven't watched the show recently. Within their crazy cult I think they are about as happy as a 24 and 21 yr old with 2 kids could be.

I agree with this.

I think part of the problem with the supervised courtship model/keep sweet nonsense is that it keeps everything all fluffy and never gives these couples a chance to actually have a genuine conflict over something before they get married or even express annoyance at something their partner does. They spend the whole courtship and engagement being light and fluffy and not having real conversations until they get married and then they are tossed into the deep end to learn how to adult. They don't have the skills to deal with their spouse annoying them, or any experience in having an argument with their spouse and sorting it out.

My boyfriend and I have fought and resolved it a few times, so when we do get married in the future, we will be doing so with actual adult conflict resolution skills. I wouldn't be at all surprised if these fundie couples get married having never had an argument, so they don't know how to deal with it when they are not getting along perfectly. 

Bin and Blessa seemed pretty miserable when Spurg was a baby and those tired sleepness nights with a newborn were probably one of the first experiences they had of life together where everything was not fairytale perfect and they were learning for the first time how to work though that.....which lead to the eyrolling, the passive-aggression, the snippiness and short tempers.

I think they have looked happier lately, and I'm guessing it is a combination of learning to actually talk things through when they disagree, as well as having adjusted and come to terms with the fact that married life is not always this fluffy sunny fairytales. 

Some of the most interesting nutritional research coming out now shows how individual our reactions to foods are. On study of blood sugar levels after equal portions found some people spiked the same for tomatoes as ice cream. It's part genetics, part physical makeup (activity levels, weight) and part environmental. That's why some people swear by Paleo while others swear by vegan. The only universal is that highly processed foods with added sugars and saturated fats shouldn't be the main component in anyone's diet. For me, vegetarian feels best, with dairy but no eggs (food intolerance). I tried giving up grains because I have inflammatory health issues and my blood sugar got so low (despite really balanced meals) that I got severe light-headedness and fell over. Now I'm a fan of all diet plans in moderation!

20 hours ago, Kelsey said:

I'm surprised that Jessa posted a pic of Spurge in only his diaper. Is this the first time that's happened? I don't recall seeing it off the top of my head. I'm kind of surprised that they would let babies be so "immodest"

I don't think they would allow a female baby to do the same tbh

14 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I don't think they would allow a female baby to do the same tbh

I don't think so either. Female babies tend to wear dresses and headbands. They don't get the super comfy clothes that Spurg has. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived