IGNORED

Where In The World Is Doug Philips (Who Is A Tool)?? (Part 4)

Destiny

I don't know which is richer -- the "COSTUMES ARE WELCOME" announcement for Circus Imagianaro's Valentine Party or all the Diversity and Pride connections/sponsorships for its Bacchanalia and Burlesque events. 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I...I feel like I've fallen into an alternate universe or something.... What is going on with this guy???

On 29/03/2017 at 11:43 PM, hoipolloi said:

Yes he did and they were BFFs at one time.

Don't recall what led to their parting of the ways which was well before the implosion of VFI/VFM. 

Wheeler appears to be still involved Mantle Ministries with its bullshit on America's providential history. Also, note that the web link says Wheeler is involved with family-integrated churches.

Little Bear Wheeler was one of my gateway fundies. I think I read about him in some bizarre courtship story on YLCF?  There was some shenanigans about presenting his daughter's fiance with a sword and charging him to bear his manly responsibilities well.

Little Bear Wheeler was one of my gateway fundies. I think I read about him in some bizarre courtship story on YLCF?  There was some shenanigans about presenting his daughter's fiance with a sword and charging him to bear his manly responsibilities well.

On Tapatalk so can't do any linking but you may be recalling Noelle Wheeler Goforth's wedding. She is Little Bear's oldest daughter & there used to be a video of the ceremony on YouTube or Vimeo. It did feature swords or weaponry of some kind, IIRC, along with the usual bullshit.

On 3/31/2017 at 5:08 PM, FeministShrew said:

That said, appropriating/exploiting Native american culture used to be big in Southern Gospel circles. There was the Klaudt Indian Family, "from the badlands of North Dakota" - dad was German, mom was Arikara-Mandan, and the family performed in stereotypical "Indian" costumes. There was a family from Cherokee, NC, whose name I can't remember, but the patriarch was blind. I grew up with a large group of step-and-half siblings, some of whom were part of the Catawba tribe, who sang at local & regional churches, wearing Plains costumes. They were a big deal locally.

I believe the senior Bret Smith also claimed some dubious Indian heritage, although I can't find where it was discussed. Here's a good article I read a while back on the larger related phenomenon: https://timeline.com/part-cherokee-elizabeth-warren-cf6be035967e

tl;dr: Today, many white people with Southern roots falsely believe that they are part Cherokee because for a time it was fashionable to embellish your family history that way. Why? 1) it implied that your family had been living in the area for a very, very long time ("true southerners") and 2) during the Civil War, a lot of white southerners idealized American Indians for their historical resistance to the federal government.

Whether these particular forces are at play with Wheeler, I don't know.

On 3/31/2017 at 4:08 PM, FeministShrew said:

Then there was this guy:

Reveal hidden contents

1229941_10151944366948417_637834426_n.jpg

Yes, I know him personally. He claimed to have Native american ancestry, and billed himself as Big Chief Ricky. When I went to church with him he was twice-divorced, about to be divorced by his third wife for adultery, had retired from touring and was selling used cars and occasionally performing as an Elvis impersonator at nursing homes. He's currently very elderly, on wife #4 or 5, and weighs about 300lbs.

Speechless.  Gobsmacked. There are no words.  You win the interwebs today! 

20 hours ago, BobTheWalrus said:

Back on a desktop & looking for info on the wackery of Little Bear.

This may be the courtship story you were recalling. As a bonus, it was written by none other than Doug Phillips Is a Tool, back before he & Little Bear broke up. You also remembered the sword correctly:

With just moments to go before bride and groom are pronounced man and wife, the father of the bride rises to approach the couple. He takes his stand before me. In his own inimitable style, Little Bear Wheeler reaches down to the ground and reveals a replica of the massive sword once carried by the original "Braveheart," William Wallace of Scotland. Raising the sword with both hands he proclaims the following words, which I will attempt to paraphrase below: 

"Kneel Joshua Goforth... In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I commission you to take my daughter. I have raised her with a sacred purity as few girls have ever been raised. Today, I give her to you. You are to be the loving lord in your home and over her. Cherish and love her and never forget what a rare gift God has given to you. Keep the sword in your house forever. When your children rise up and ask you 'father, whence comes this sword,' you must answer them that 'This sword was given as a charge by my father to me as a reminder that our family would forever be followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, and that the covenant of marriage is sacred and never to be broken.'" 

Here's Little Bear pontificating on courtship in a Puritan (?) costume - actually, not sure what it is but he looks stupid as hell.

28 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

This may be the courtship story you were recalling. As a bonus, it was written by none other than Doug Phillips Is a Tool, back before he & Little Bear broke up. You also remembered the sword correctly:

Ugh, these people. The smugness! The overwrought prose! The fetishization of a young woman's virginity!

[T]he more than 600 people gathered know they are about to witness something that the majority of Americans will never experience: A truly pure woman is about to covenant in marriage with a truly virtuous man for the stated purpose of building a multi-generational legacy for the glory of God...

Joshua, who joined Vision Forum immediately upon completion of his home education, is one of a growing number of home educated students who are demonstrating that a little bit of entrepreneurial vision, a lot of effort, and some good old-fashioned practical experience is a superior method of life preparation than a four-year journey through the halls of Babylon (a.k.a., the modern college experience)...

Anyone who has met Noelle knows that she possesses a refreshing innocence and precious naivet that only comes from a girl who has been raised around the sweet aroma of Christian holiness. Today, she is focused on one thing: preparing herself for her new earthly Lord...

"Anyone who has met Noelle knows that she possesses a refreshing innocence and precious naivete..."

Hey, Pepe Le Ewww, what happened to your "innocence and naivete" fetish? Frumpers and headcovers weren't doing it for you anymore after a couple of decades? I just worry that one of these nights you'll wake up in a cold sweat, longing to reach out and feel the texture of cheap, Hobby Lobby denim under your hand, but no... it will be far, far too late. 

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Back on a desktop & looking for info on the wackery of Little Bear.

Here's Little Bear pontificating on courtship in a Puritan (?) costume - actually, not sure what it is but he looks stupid as hell.

Oh, holy fucksticks, what a freaking hoot! "Father, whence comes this sword?" Yeah, I can hear a three-year-old asking that.  Am I alone in wondering what a goddamn sword has to do with Christianity or marriage? Or premarital virginity?

"This sword shall henceforth be a reminder for all perpetuity: Christian, or death!"

he proclaims the following words, which I will attempt to paraphrase below

Huh?

Wow, that "testimony" was the most overblown thing I've ever read.

There's been some speculation as to who within the former VF world know of Doug's current indiscretions. I recently got a copy of the Botkinette's second edition of "It's (Not) That Complicated", and if they knew anything sketchy about Doug before publishing it, that didn't stop them from editing their acknowledgements too closely:

We're especially grateful for the men and women who have helped us understand the purpose and value of our relationships with young men, particularly Doug and Beall Phillips, Peter and Kelly Bradrick, and Matt and Jennie Chancey. We've learned so much from all of you as you've invested in us, set righteous examples before us, walked with us, exhorted us, and prayed for us over the last several years - you've truly modeled how brothers and sisters in Christ "encourage one another and build one another up." (1 Thess. 5:11)

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

When your children rise up and ask you 'father, whence comes this sword,' you must answer them that 'This sword was given as a charge by my father to me as a reminder that our family would forever be followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, and that the covenant of marriage is sacred and never to be broken.

Well, the good news is no child is ever going to wander in and ask "father, whence comes this sword?"

I don't think virgins are all that hard to come by. Erm...I mean, virgins aren't that uncommon. I had friends who were virgins when they married back in the 80s and 90s, and we didn't think it was all that special. I wouldn't think it was particularly unusual now either. I think it's a fairly normal thing for a number of religions, even if people aren't all that devout. 

Even I was a virgin on my wedding night(and it wasn't even for religious reasons) .

But abstinence is sooo hard! (As proven by Bristol Palin.)

4 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Joshua, who joined Vision Forum immediately upon completion of his home education, is one of a growing number of home educated students who are demonstrating that a little bit of entrepreneurial vision, a lot of effort, and some good old-fashioned practical experience is a superior method of life preparation than a four-year journey through the halls of Babylon (a.k.a., the modern college experience)...

I didn't see anything Babylonian in my 4+ year journey through the halls of my university, but I mostly stuck to the engineering building :P

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

But abstinence is sooo hard! (As proven by Bristol Palin.)

I didn't see anything Babylonian in my 4+ year journey through the halls of my university, but I mostly stuck to the engineering building

Is this "Joshua" JTits?  Does anyone know how he/these VF home school grads really fare?

4 minutes ago, Quinquagenarian said:

Is this "Joshua" JTits?

No. This is another Joshua, unrelated to the Phillips family.

5 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Pepe Le Ewww

Can't stop laughing!!!

5 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

just worry that one of these nights you'll wake up in a cold sweat, longing to reach out and feel the texture of cheap, Hobby Lobby denim under your hand, but no... it will be far, far too late. 

Seriously. I'm dyin', here! 

Just checked in on Beall's Blog and was interested to discover that she ran cross country in high school and they are a family of runners, doing everything from 3K to 5K to marathons, including the girls.  Beall hiked part of the Pacific Crest Trail.  One of the boys is doing ultra marathons.  I have to say that being in Durango could be really fun for a family that loves the outdoors; since no one has a job-type job, they're free to do all sorts of fun stuff -- training runs, hiking and skiing.  

I'm glad that the girls are not expected to molder away indoors, passing the time by cooking, cleaning, sewing, folding towels, being sister moms and waiting for their father to choose an appropriate suitor, if ever.  Also glad that their father no longer has adoring followers buying into that toxic spew and hopefully has lightened up on other things as well.

Again, I'm pissed that these people are going through changes in belief and behavior, not discussing what's really going on but perfectly happy to share cheerful patter.  By being out in the world a bit, hopefully some of the girls will find a partner who is interested in have an equal for a wife.  But good luck with finding a guy who buys into supporting a non-working wife for the duration of a marriage. 

Perhaps while DPIAT is off gallavanting, there is some extra breathing space. 

I'm curious to know what the girls wear when running, but none of the pictures show that.   I know you can get some cute little skirts to wear over running tights.   In the one pic of Beall, she's wearing some semi baggy athletic pants under a knee-length skirt; however, in that pic, she's cheering on one of her daughters in a race and not running herself. 

I don't think the running includes Doug, although Doug continues to look quite trim.

This somewhat opens a window into fundy belief -- I'm sure some fundys don't think women should be athletic; others must make some kind of accommodation to keep up the modesty gig.  The thought of running in a long skirt makes me cringe. 

Not related to athletic endeavors, but maybe 3 years ago there was a pic on the Pennington Post of Lisa and two of her daughters.  The teen girls were wearing leggings under a just-above-the-knee-length dress/tunic.  It was a really cute look that apparently ticked the modesty boxes for them without appearing overtly fundy in any way.  

55 minutes ago, Howl said:

Again, I'm pissed that these people are going through changes in belief and behavior, not discussing what's really going on but perfectly happy to share cheerful patter.

This is what makes me so angry. You can't just walk away from all those broken lives like they don't matter, and like you aren't the one who inflicted the damage. "Oh, look how normal and fun and non-Dominionist we are now." Well, isn't that nice for the Phillips', who are probably enjoying trust funds set up by Howard and VF money stashed away by Doug while their victims continue on in poverty and ignorance. 

40 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

This is what makes me so angry. You can't just walk away from all those broken lives like they don't matter, and like you aren't the one who inflicted the damage. "Oh, look how normal and fun and non-Dominionist we are now." Well, isn't that nice for the Phillips', who are probably enjoying trust funds set up by Howard and VF money stashed away by Doug while their victims continue on in poverty and ignorance. 

I know right?  It just drives me crazy thinking about how much money they must have coming in to support that number of people in all their various activities and travels.  And that is AFTER settling the lawsuit/lawyers fees, which must have been (I hope for Lourdes) a substantial payout.  So yeah, VF must have been a major cash cow. 

I'm certain Doug and Beall believe they are the true victims here. 

Look up the phrase "special snowflakes" in the dictionary, and you'll find their shit-eating-grin pictures.

I take comfort in remembering that karma's a bitch.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived