IGNORED

Joy and Austin: He's got the Joy Joy in his heart!

Destiny

44 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I just stalked the registry...they have a 1900.00 Rainbow vacuum on there! Holy Grifters Batman! 

Oh god, just buy a dammned roomba. It's not as pricey and it cleans by itself

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My MIL has a Rainbow vacuum that is over 20 years old. She takes good care of it and it has served her well. I have a Hoover vacuum that Mr. A bought before he met me. I am happy with it.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:09 PM, actuallyjessica said:

I am very curious which show this was! Masterchef, or MKR, by any chance?

MKR! 

16 hours ago, Ali said:

My MIL has a Rainbow vacuum that is over 20 years old. She takes good care of it and it has served her well. I have a Hoover vacuum that Mr. A bought before he met me. I am happy with it.

They're good quality then? I've never even heard of the brand. 

On average I go through a vacuum every 5 or 6  years , I've had 4 vacuums in 20 years and spent a total of around $500 - $550 on all of them combined. Even if  I get 5 more in the next 20 years I'm still money ahead. Though I will say of all the vacs I've had over the years my Shark is the best one, you can get a full upper body work out, it sucks so good. 

I should also add I work for a Janitorial company and they don't use Rainbow, or Dyson, they use Hoover and Oreks, but they are of the industrial variety for obvious reasons.  I would love one for my basement, 3 cats and a dog and 2 teens and a hoarding husband are down there with their dirty and nasty selves. 

My grandmother had a Rainbow vacuum that lasted over 40 years.  She wouldn't use anything else.  None of her family members have been inspired to follow her example though.

2 hours ago, Mela99 said:

My dad LOVES the Rainbow vacuums. They are good quality and clean well, but as a kid I always found them a pain in the ass (probably still would- I haven't been persuaded by him to buy one as an adult yet). They require a water tank that needs to be filled beforehand and emptied after (the after is brown nasty water with of course hair and dust).  

I don't know of the brand, but we do have a similar vacuum than that (one with a water tank)

While I agree it is pretty nasty if it is dirty, we also use it (when filled up with clean water, obviously) to change the humidity in rooms (i have no clue if you know what I mean, english is not my first language and I wouldn't know how to explain it in my native language either..), since my brother has allergys. It works really good for that, and it is a good vacuum.

However I like to add my mum bought it because our old vacuum had some teeny tiny problems and my dad didn't wanna fix  it (still not, after 3 years), and she gets sucked in by visiting salesmen every now and then. 

But then again, she also likes to complain about having to change the water tank or fill it up just to quickly vacuum one room. It all has pros and cons (and I think she's still hoping for my dad to fix the old one, just in case...)

I don't actually think Joy crying about missing Austin is a huge red flag for immaturity or anything. It's her first relationship- a lot of teenagers are dramatic in their early ones. It's just that hers is when she's older.

Anecdotally, you see similar things with LGBTQ people who have recently come out when they do so at 18 or later. They either didn't date as teenagers, or were trying to fake it, so there was no real love or emotion. The excitement and fear over finally being yourself, plus experiencing all of the happy love hormones for the first time after having waited a long time, can make people act more emotional.

I came out at 20, and was 21 when my now-wife and I admitted we liked each other. I felt like...I was floating. I was always glued to my phone, cared less about other things, and was stupid excited to hear from her each time.

When we started dating at 9 hours' long distance, I literally felt like my heart hurt every time I had to go back home. I took a bus from Minneapolis to Chicago to see her, and basically would cry from Chicago to Madison on the way back. And I was then 22 and pursuing a professional degree. So I think it's just a first relationship thing.

3 hours ago, Mela99 said:

It is a good quality vacuum cleaner and it can likely last a good part of your entire adult life time if you take care of it. I personally would not want one after watching what my MIL goes through when she vacuums. It seems like too much of a pain for me and the water tank gets gross and has to be constantly emptied. It is one of those things you either love or hate.

re:  vacuums--i swear by my Dyson.  it's 11 years old, cost $550, i had one major repair on it 3 years ago for $150, and it still runs like new.  my house is loaded with pet hair, and that vacuum never lets me down.

i never heard of rainbow either, but based on what's being said, it sounds great.

3 minutes ago, catlady said:

re:  vacuums--i swear by my Dyson.  it's 11 years old, cost $550, i had one major repair on it 3 years ago for $150, and it still runs like new.  my house is loaded with pet hair, and that vacuum never lets me down.

i never heard of rainbow either, but based on what's being said, it sounds great.

We got a Dyson maybe two years ago and we loved it, but it clogged SO easily. We have four cats and we had to unclog it with every use. Just bought a Shark Rotator and I'm in LOVE with it. So easy and so strong and the carpet is so clean and fluffy now. 

There's something like the old Filter Queens out there?  I want it.  I first heard of them from my husband's aunt, who had one and regretted selling it because someone told her the new ones with a dry bag and a filter were better.  Auntie said she sold it to the first person who responded to her ad in the newspaper, and got calls for days from people wanting it.  She bought one vacuum after another, trying to find something as good as her old Filter Queen, then found out she'd undersold hers when she tried to buy another.  She also mentioned that sometimes she'd fill the tank with hot water and add a scent to it, like vanilla extract.  She said for hours after that, her house smelled like she was baking cookies.

35 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

We got a Dyson maybe two years ago and we loved it, but it clogged SO easily. We have four cats and we had to unclog it with every use. Just bought a Shark Rotator and I'm in LOVE with it. So easy and so strong and the carpet is so clean and fluffy now. 

We bought the Professional Shark Navigator? I think it was called and at first I loved it, but it has proven to be no match for our Golden Retriever. His long hair gets wrapped around the rollers and every couple weeks or so I have to take scissors to them to get all the hair off. I know lots of people rave about Sharks so I'm hesitant to spend the money on anything different in case its just something we have to deal with as golden owners. 

I love thread drift.

A few years ago,  After our fairly new vacum cleaner from Walmart set itself on fire, my husband went down to our basement and pulled out an old vintage Electrolux model 30 my mother had passed along to us in 1983.   It was covered in dust and other crud, he plugged it in and it worked, and the suction was strong enough to pick up a damp paper towel we had on the side to clean it off.

This  vacuum  is the streamlined one from the 1930's, my Aunt (original owner) left it behind when she sold her house to my parents.   I remember using it to clean the stairs in the 1960's.

It is still working.....and we use it often.   The great thing about these vintage Electrolux is that you can still find them for reasonable prices.    There were made that all pieces are compatable with all models and replacement parts are still being made.

I found a picture on line of the model we started out with.(not ours) ..we have a few now and have fixed a up a few more to pass them on to family.

IMG_1049.JPG

So with all this Carlin/Joy best friend stuff being posted, so we think that Joy will actually chose someone outside the family to be her Maid of Honor or will she be forced to have a sister?

My son bought me a Shark 3 in 1 Lift Away Vacuum last year.

I like it.I have 7 cats,yes...7.It isn't heavy and part of it lifts off for vacuuming the stairs.

4 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

My dad LOVES the Rainbow vacuums. They are good quality and clean well, but as a kid I always found them a pain in the ass (probably still would- I haven't been persuaded by him to buy one as an adult yet). They require a water tank that needs to be filled beforehand and emptied after (the after is brown nasty water with of course hair and dust).  

My mom use to sell Rainbow vacuums in the late 80's. Had no idea they were still around. I remember people thinking their carpets were clean until they saw all the mud in the base.                                                                                  Back to Joy. She seemed to think Jinger's obsession with Jeremy was over the top. Now I guess she see's how emotional things can get when you're in love.

18 minutes ago, DugFan said:

So with all this Carlin/Joy best friend stuff being posted, so we think that Joy will actually chose someone outside the family to be her Maid of Honor or will she be forced to have a sister?

I hope she gets at least one free choice in her life without guilt and gets to have her best friend. I can see her having both Carlin and Jill but she seems very close to both of them. 

34 minutes ago, melon said:

I like it.I have 7 cats,yes...7.

you're my hero. :bigheart:

I have a Dyson Animal, still going strong after I bought it used in 2004.  It handles the pet hair well, but my long hair gets wrapped around the brush, and I have to cut it out before almost every time I vacuum.

3 hours ago, Incognito22 said:

I hope she gets at least one free choice in her life without guilt and gets to have her best friend. I can see her having both Carlin and Jill but she seems very close to both of them. 

Jill had only sisters as bridesmaids, right? Jessa had her sisters, in-laws, and some friends? as did Jinger with her 10?

All the Duggar wedding parties will have to be HUGE from here on, since it's not like Joy or Jana or even Hannie & the lost girls can exclude someone for whom they were a bridesmaid....haha. 

another note - how many times do we think Josie will get babied into being a flower-girl before Meredith or another grandduggar gets a turn? 

2 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

another note - how many times do we think Josie will get babied into being a flower-girl before Meredith or another grandduggar gets a turn? 

I've never really understood the problem some people seem to have with Josie being a flower girl in her sister's weddings? She doesn't seem to get special treatment to me. Jill's flower girls were Jenni, Jordyn, Josie, and Mackynzie. Jessa's were Jordyn and Ben's little sister Faith, Josie wasn't included at all. Jinger was the only one who only had Josie. Maybe she didn't want multiple flower girls like her sisters, so as the youngest, Josie got the spot. Meredith would have been too little at the time.

For bridesmaids, this what I predict:

Jana
Jill
Jessa
Jinger
Johanna
Anna
Megan (Austin's sister)
Kendra Caldwell (courting Joe)
Lauren Caldwell
Carlin Bates

MOH, I think, will either be Jill, Carlin, or Megan.

2 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Jill had only sisters as bridesmaids, right? Jessa had her sisters, in-laws, and some friends? as did Jinger with her 10?

Anna was a bridesmaid. 

I'm torn if Joy will have Anna or not. There's a big age difference there; Joy would have probably functioned as not much more as a babysitter for Anna. But the Duggars still seem to be circling the wagons around Josh, so there could be a sympathy bridesmaid spot for Anna. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived