IGNORED

Seewalds 15 - American Baby (Baby is Here!)

choralcrusader8613

51 minutes ago, kmary1 said:

Any random baby essentially has a 1/365 chance of being born on any particular day, so I would say it's less likely that two people in a group of 30-35 would be born on the same day, than it is for two people to be born on different days. I've only met one other person in my entire lifetime that I know shared by my birthday. Not that I've known everyone's birthday, but I have known more than 30-35 birthdays.

If you have just 23 people, there is a 50% chance that two of them will share a birthday. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Of course, the statistics are based on the assumption that every day is equally probable, which is probably a fair assumption for that situation, but some birthdays actually are more common than others (my birthday is one of the 10 least common). You can see a chart here: http://thedailyviz.com/2016/09/17/how-common-is-your-birthday-dailyviz/

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

The fact that they called him Quincy during the pregnancy leads me to believe there was debate about the name. And she took a long time to refer to him on Instagram by his first name. I don't think she agreed to that name. 

You may be right! I tend to believe that they were settled on Spurgeon and were struggling with the middle name, but there's no telling when they actually decided on Spurgeon, or whether it took one of them a long time to come around to it. I doubt we'll ever know, because it's hard to admit that you hate(d) your own kid's name, especially if you're a Duggar and everything has to be 'special' and 'precious'. 

I have friends who gave their first son a pretty uncommon name. They thought it was cute and unique. Unfortunately people mispronounced and confused it with other names constantly. So when kid #2 came around, they give him a top 10 one-syllable classic name. It'll be kind of interesting to see if Jessa and Ben go that route, or if they stick to the 'unique' theme. Although I guess with just two babies it's too soon to tell... after all, it could go Spurgeon, Sarah, Daniel, Lucas, Tozer, Gothardella...

I have the same birthday as my grandma (Jan8). However, I was a c-section baby and my mom chose to honor her mom by selecting the same date, so I guess we cheated a bit on that one !      

:laughing-jumpingpurple:

edit: using the site someone posted, my birth date is the 343rd most popular. but now that I think about it, there was one kid from my school (k-12) with that birthday, and it was Elvis's birthday!

Michelle gave birth in every month except for February, April, and September. December was her busiest birthin' month. (Which would seemingly explain the lack of September babies)

Because these people be crazy, I wonder if the Duggar girls secretly want to be the first to have a baby in every month.

28 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I have the same birthday as my grandma (Jan8). However, I was a c-section baby and my mom chose to honor her mom by selecting the same date, so I guess we cheated a bit on that one !      

:laughing-jumpingpurple:

edit: using the site someone posted, my birth date is the 343rd most popular. but now that I think about it, there was one kid from my school (k-12) with that birthday, and it was Elvis's birthday!

Mine is in the top 50.  All those Christmas/New Years babies.

36 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

If you have just 23 people, there is a 50% chance that two of them will share a birthday. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Of course, the statistics are based on the assumption that every day is equally probable, which is probably a fair assumption for that situation, but some birthdays actually are more common than others (my birthday is one of the 10 least common). You can see a chart here: http://thedailyviz.com/2016/09/17/how-common-is-your-birthday-dailyviz/

Interesting! My birthday is 60th most common. 

3 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I named Jessas future quiver of boys: 

Tozer Calvin 

Wilberforce Thomas 

Tyndale Wesley 

Luther Morris 

Liddell Judson 

Wycliffe Taylor 

Skipping like 30 posts in the middle so I haven't seen if this has come up, but what about Billy Graham?  He's still alive but like 98....  is he too mainline SBC for these people?  I could see a scenario where Graham kicks the bucket over the weekend and they take that as a sign...

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

How cool is that?? Thanks for posting.  My birthday is in the bottom half but not near the end.  I wonder how that map would have looked before inductions... it looks like every one of the bottom 10 is on or just before/after a major holiday.  

Ugh, that chart reminded me once again that I was clearly a "conceived on my mother's birthday" baby. 

I know several persons who share birthdays. My mother and her brother do so, but 5 years apart. A kindergarten friend shared her birthday with my grandfather and the kindergarten friend of my brother. I have two nieces and one sister-in-law who share birthdays.  And we have five pairs who have the same date but one month apart (grandfather/grandson,husband/wife, brother/sister, mother/son, mother-in-law/husband). I share my birthday with 2 other persons i knew/know, one who is a friend and one i had to work with. 

And there was a time when I was friends with three girls who had the same name and had their birthdays within 5 days. They did not know each other. That drove me crazy. 

Really agree with @singsingsing's analysis of Jessa and Ben. 

I do feel for Jessa, and all the criticism she gets.  She's not grifting for cash, she's gamely going along the paths Ben's exploring (looking uncomfortable at rap gigs - but hell, she's going, and supporting him, in something way outside her comfort zone) - and I really don't get the criticisms about her being a bit stroppy and bossy, which is amazing, given how the family really worked hard to beat any spark of personality out of her sisters.  We decry the changes in Jinger, and Jana, and Joy, but then when the brainwashing hasn't worked on Jessa, and she's not biting down on that aspect of herself, she's criticised too!

For sure, I would have preferred it if she hadn't married the first decent person to come along, so she could escape the house - I bet she would have loved college, for example - but she's made the best of her limited options, and seems to really love her kid. 

And it must be hard for her, seeing the difference in what was given to Jill versus her - she knows she's not the favoured child!   I know she's not perfect, but I'm really happy that her parents haven't crushed her, like they have her siblings - hopefully her world will expand, and she can develop from the sheltered/kept-purposefully-ignorant/trammeled girl her parents brought her up to be.

4 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Ugh, that chart reminded me once again that I was clearly a "conceived on my mother's birthday" baby. 

Ugh, i feel you on that one. Early baby here conceived most likely on her mother's birthday :puke-front:

My birthday is the 112th most popular day. I was a Valentine's Baby who came early. :my_heart:

I just came back from the museum, saw this topic is hot and thought Jessa finally had the baby :annoyed:

What the heck is with july august and september? Is this because november december and january are the darkest months of the year?

6 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

What the heck is with july august and september? Is this because november december and january are the darkest months of the year?

More people have "sweet fellowship" during the holidays?

I have a wedding anniversay celebration baby, a celebrating the first one's birthday baby(he did ask for a sibling-LOL), and my birthday celebration(he was delivered early or his bday would be exactly 9 mths after my bday). I was clearly my bio mom's birthday "present". My GrandBoy's bday is exactly 9 mths after DD's birthday.

15 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

I just came back from the museum, saw this topic is hot and thought Jessa finally had the baby :annoyed:

There is more stuffing than just the turkey, during the holidays....

19 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Hahah my math teacher in high school made the comment that during the winter months "...it gets dark early and it's cold. So, what else are you going to do?" 

19 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Spoiler

636054465079064386-1770632905_tumblr_lui

22 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Really agree with @singsingsing's analysis of Jessa and Ben. 

I do feel for Jessa, and all the criticism she gets.  She's not grifting for cash, she's gamely going along the paths Ben's exploring (looking uncomfortable at rap gigs - but hell, she's going, and supporting him, in something way outside her comfort zone) - and I really don't get the criticisms about her being a bit stroppy and bossy, which is amazing, given how the family really worked hard to beat any spark of personality out of her sisters.  We decry the changes in Jinger, and Jana, and Joy, but then when the brainwashing hasn't worked on Jessa, and she's not biting down on that aspect of herself, she's criticised too!

For sure, I would have preferred it if she hadn't married the first decent person to come along, so she could escape the house - I bet she would have loved college, for example - but she's made the best of her limited options, and seems to really love her kid. 

And it must be hard for her, seeing the difference in what was given to Jill versus her - she knows she's not the favoured child!   I know she's not perfect, but I'm really happy that her parents haven't crushed her, like they have her siblings - hopefully her world will expand, and she can develop from the sheltered/kept-purposefully-ignorant/trammeled girl her parents brought her up to be.

I agree with all of this. I've said before that Ben and Jessa are my "least disliked" of the married couples. Ben comes off as a bit of a doofus but he's nowhere near Derick levels of douchery and seems somewhat interested in aspects of life outside of the typical fundie bubble. And as for Jessa, I can't lament the fact that most of the Duggar girls have become these meek, mild-mannered helpmeets, and then criticize Jessa for being opinionated and "bossy". Not to mention, like you said, for all her bossiness she seems to support Ben in his interests even when they're outside of her comfort zone. Like when they went to the concert, she admitted Christian rap/hip-hop isn't her favorite but she still went along and said could appreciate the lyrics. I feel like if it was Jill she'd be like "Yeah, totally, Flame's music is great!" even if she really didn't enjoy it.

Is anyone else still startled every time they read the name Spurgeon used in a sentence? It's just so awful. Like a gerbil name. Oh, hell, I wouldn't even name a gerbil that. My brain just can't accept that as an actual name. 

Both of my sons conceptions were drunken debauchery summertime fun. BigSnazzy happened right after my cousin's open bar wedding reception, and LittleSnazzy happened after a particularly festive Fourth of July party.

32 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

My birthday is the 112th most popular day. I was a Valentine's Baby who came early. :my_heart:

Mine is 320th... (11/13)

July is my family's busiest birthday month: 3, 4, 5, 16, 19, and 29. My own little family of 4 people are responsible for 3 of them, my birthday and my two kids' birthdays. My dad went moose hunting most of September each year but in October he only went most weekends so maybe mom missed him when he was gone? *Hmmm* Don't know why I both had babies in July, my husband doesn't hunt... (and TMI, my daugther was so much overdue she was probably made in September, not October. I know the date my son was made, it was in mid October. No special occasion, I just remember the date and it was only once because we had massive colds both of us...)

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived