IGNORED

Big Sandy Family Conference April 2017

Palimpsest

[mention=11277]Destiny[/mention]unless they get married at big Sandy, since all of their friends are already there. 

Point. That's a possibility.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has any Duggar met their future spouse at these types of family conferences like Big Sandy? Did Josh? Jessa, Jinger, Joy, and Jill didn't, I'm pretty sure. It's probably just the same freaks and creeps that come to this conference anyways. I also just found out that the Duggars have been coming to Big Sandy for the past 20 years. Jeez! 

I think Josh met Anna there...but the girls didn't. None of the married girls' spouses are ATI/IBLP prior to their marriages. Not sure how much kool-aid Bin has drunk but Dreck has marinated himself in it. I don't see Jeremy drinking it

I feel like Jeremy would have been VF royalty if that stuck around...which is why I think JB allowed the relationship, theology-wise.

Getting married at Big Sandy Conference would be the last nail in Joy's coffin. She'd never escape ATI life.

Getting married at Big Sandy would be the saddest day ever ... although I would be curious to see how an ALERT cadet choir wearing papier mâche hats singing all the Gothard favourites, like the umbrella song, would go for a wedding ...

57 minutes ago, purjolok84 said:

although I would be curious to see how an ALERT cadet choir wearing papier mâche hats singing all the Gothard favourites, like the umbrella song, would go for a wedding ...

Like this?

3 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

... although I would be curious to see how an ALERT cadet choir wearing papier mâche hats singing all the Gothard favourites, like the umbrella song, would go for a wedding ...

I'm sure it's a different umbrella song, but I'm now imagining the cadets singing Rihanna music... ;)

As an aside, wow, the ALERT group is so very white! You may see the occasional boy of a minority race in a photo or video, but not at even close to the ratio of the general population. I know the ATI/IBLP movement as a whole is very lacking in diversity, but it's especially obvious when same-age peers are all lined up and you see just how monochrome they've made their world. Just one more way the education of their children is damaging and lacking. :(

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

I'm sure it's a different umbrella song, but I'm now imagining the cadets singing Rihanna music... ;)

As an aside, wow, the ALERT group is so very white! You may see the occasional boy of a minority race in a photo or video, but not at even close to the ratio of the general population. I know the ATI/IBLP movement as a whole is very lacking in diversity, but it's especially obvious when same-age peers are all lined up and you see just how monochrome they've made their world. Just one more way the education of their children is damaging and lacking. :(

Rihanna was my first thought too!

And yeah, I think that ATI/IBLP was designed by and for a very specific kind of white evangelical Christian, and any people of color who join up are going to conform to that, whether because they chose to (lord only knows why), or because they were adopted. Either way, they're not there to be an example of the universality of Christian love or God's grace, but to be "look we might be OK with child rape but at least we're not racist" window dressing.

21 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Like this?

I'm going to say: almost there. More papier-mâché. More cowbell. :P

Those guys are pretty good though - the songs they could sing if they weren't limited to Jesus and fake military for God and masculinity hymns could be limitless. But then I guess, considering they are male and singing is coded as more feminine when compared with marching in large packs, being shouted at and being pure for God and country, they are fortunate to have the choir to sing in at ALERT at all.

On 4/21/2017 at 6:43 PM, RosyDaisy said:

Is there enough space for those enormous egos?

And what if Lawson Bates is there as well??

@Mercer 

please secure your soul and sense of self to a strong item before pressing play. If you listen to all the songs on the playlist you start to understand just why these kids have grown into the adults they are

I actually did listen to the whole playlist earlier today.  "Be glad for the way God made you 'cause He never makes mistakes, keep your negative emotions stuffed deep inside, and smile, smile, SMILE!" :tw_confused:

5 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I actually did listen to the whole playlist earlier today.  "Be glad for the way God made you 'cause He never makes mistakes, keep your negative emotions stuffed deep inside, and smile, smile, SMILE!" :tw_confused:

Plus the bubble song tells them that trying to go against the crowd will get you popped...but the stand alone song tells them that if you're a fish that follows the crowd you're going to fry...no wonder these kids are so scared to make decisions  as adults - they are f***ed either way...i guess you have to be a fish-bubble-under-an-umbrella-wearing-a-parachute     :dontgetit: 

I think it is really interesting the Maxwells are there. While they have done ATI stuff in the past, they have not been a presence at these big shindigs for years.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, RosyDaisy said:

Is there enough space for those enormous egos?

That is why it is in Texas. Biggest ego state in the union (sorry Texas FJers, I am sure you don't have a Texas ego.)

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, formergothardite said:

I would love to know what their advice for rebellious adopted children is. <snipped>

Wait, seriously? This is a topic? And the Duggars are leading the discussion? If that is all true I feel absolutely horrible for the family member they took in. I can't express how sorry I feel for that boy.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:54 AM, LurkerOverThePond said:

Getting married at Big Sandy Conference would be the last nail in Joy's coffin. She'd never escape ATI life.

Oh I really hope this doesn't happen! I don't think she has much hope of escaping ATI life period. She has always been my favorite Duggar but unfortunately she is going from one circus to a family business that is making money off this BS. She will never be able to think outside the ATI bubble. :(

I can't imagine anything worse than a Big Sandy wedding. That sounds like JB's ego though. Making his family the special snowflakes that get married at the big ATI conference :pb_lol: 

Did anyone else notice all the info that brochure gives away? I now have the gate codes and the wifi.

41 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I now have the gate codes and the wifi.

Someone really should have thought about that. :laughing-jumpingpurple: I'm pretty sure this is just another sign we can't trust the ALERT army to save us. They can't even keep their gate codes private. 

On 4/23/2017 at 9:08 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

Rihanna was my first thought too!

And yeah, I think that ATI/IBLP was designed by and for a very specific kind of white evangelical Christian, and any people of color who join up are going to conform to that, whether because they chose to (lord only knows why), or because they were adopted. Either way, they're not there to be an example of the universality of Christian love or God's grace, but to be "look we might be OK with child rape but at least we're not racist" window dressing.

I remember one episode of 19Kids where they went to a father-daughter retreat at the camp run by Austin's family.  The only girl at the camp who was a POC looked to be of Asian descent.  She still looked exactly like all the other girls--right down to the crunchy curly hair.

Why are they leaning forward when standing still?  That's usually an indication that their packs are fitted and/or packed incorrectly. 

I know I've already responded to this question, but I saw something today that may be relevant.

Yesterday was ANZAC Day - over the past couple of days my partner has been looking up everything military, including the fitness requirements for someone joining the army/navy/air force. Women are required to do a certain number of push-ups, sit-ups and run at least 6.5 on the beep test (7.5 for the army). Partner said particularly the sit-ups would help build up core muscles, which would help recruits carry huge packs around.

My guess would be that the majority of these guys aren't super fit. Or at least skipped core day. And that could be why they're bent over.

But I still prefer an invisible punch to the gut, myself. Much funnier.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:55 AM, formergothardite said:

Like this?

:huh:

They are good. Too good for this clap. 

Loved the way the choir director -- er, drill sergeant? -- counted off with finger snaps. Srsly: not impressed. 

2 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

My guess would be that the majority of these guys aren't super fit

Almost all these guys are ATI homeschool students whose parents sent them here. I doubt any of them are physically prepared for these things and from the stories I've read the staff don't seem to care much about ensuring safety. There were lots of stories about ALERT guys getting injured and the staff not treating it seriously. 

It is offensive how they pretend to be military while refusing to actually join the military.

I hope the picture of the guy talking to the woman sitting behind the desk wasn't a "share the gospel" picture, but I have a feeling it was. 

But they ARE in the army. They're soldiers for Christ! 

Srsly tho, I look at this shit and just think BRAINWASH BRAINWASH HONK HONK

Besides the ones for the Alert Academy, does anyone know of any hashtags for Big Sandy this year?  Its a slow, rainy day at the office and I'm prepared to snark...

Archived