IGNORED

Maxwell 7: Still boring

Destiny

bertnee - I love your Avatar.  My daughters basically ARE Tina and Louise, they make us all laugh so hard.  

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, freejugar said:

I don't know how good the Maxwell's  math homeschooling is, but i'm pretty sure any highschooler would kick their butt in everything. I'd like to see how much pre calculus those kidults know. It would be pretty sad to have an engineer stay at home dad who doesnt teach you math.

He is the maaaaan. It isn't his job to do things like teach. That's a job for College Minus!

On 3/15/2017 at 2:18 AM, FloraDoraDolly said:

Where/how is her potential audience going to find her?

Through this site.  :GPn0zNK:

On 15/03/2017 at 7:50 PM, Palimpsest said:

Fuck that, Teri.  You would have plenty of time alone together, away or at home, if you let your adult children off the damn leash.  Set them free!   I can't be bothered to read the rest of that drivel but I did notice another affiliate link in that post.

Over to Steve.  Steve if a (probably fictional) dad said that, I call bullshit too.  You are not that gullible. It's far more likely that you made it up yourself - and I wish you would stop fibbing.

What "beneficial" books, other than the Bible, the Moody books, and Steve and Teri's own crap, does Stevo recommend - I'd love to know.

Biographies of missionaries. In the first Moody book, Dad Moody is reading the family a book about Hudson Taylor when the call to pet-sit Snickers happens. (Funny how reading books about missionaries is OK but actually being one is not. Didn't a Maxwell son want to be one at one point? And don't most of the Moody sons end up being preachers or missionaries?)

31 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

And don't most of the Moody sons end up being preachers or missionaries?)

Probably but I wouldn't know.  Wading through the grammatical errors, stultifying dialogue, and deadly dull activities of the kids in Summer With the Moodys nearly killed me.  I haven't read the other books. 

11 hours ago, bertnee said:

Well as a public high school grad, I can confirm that not only do I know how to calculate 10% of $50 in my head, but I can even calculate 20% of $50 to figure out how much to tip my hair dresser. Of course I'm sure the Maxwells would never consider spending that much on something so frivolous but it turns out you can budget for those sorts of things while still leading a debt-free life! I even find time to volunteer, despite setting my eyes on the mirror on occasion. emoji6.png

Ooo, we can't be sure of the bolded  anymore---PSarah's blonde highlights looked very nicely done!!

Professional Martyr Griselda* OTOH would no sooner go to Great Clips for a trim than ask the stylist to run buy her a Pepsi from the machine in the back.  I know I have a certain amount of sympathy for Terifying as a woman who let her husband shove her around, but times like these, with her "mother of 5 children at home (all of whom are healthy, capable adults but we won't mention that!)" shtick really gripes my soul. 

~~~~

*I also don't know why some call her Griselda but it's onomatapoeia IMHO to match her general "life is sooo grim but aren't I a hero for marching on?" persona AND I LOVE IT!

On 3/15/2017 at 2:50 PM, Palimpsest said:

Fuck that, Teri.  You would have plenty of time alone together, away or at home, if you let your adult children off the damn leash.  Set them free!   I can't be bothered to read the rest of that drivel but I did notice another affiliate link in that post.

Over to Steve.  Steve if a (probably fictional) dad said that, I call bullshit too.  You are not that gullible. It's far more likely that you made it up yourself - and I wish you would stop fibbing.

What "beneficial" books, other than the Bible, the Moody books, and Steve and Teri's own crap, does Stevo recommend - I'd love to know.

They are full of shit. They both went to school and college so they know that is taught. They have turned their backs on their own education to get people to isolate and undereducate their way. Doesn't Teri have a psychology degree? I remember reading that somewhere long ago when I first fell into this rabbit hole. If that's the truth then she KNOWS how much damage she's done to her children in all aspects. These people piss me off so much, but it's a slow non-moving trainwreck I can't stay away from. 

9 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Professional Martyr Griselda* OTOH would no sooner go to Great Clips for a trim than ask the stylist to run buy her a Pepsi from the machine in the back.  I know I have a certain amount of sympathy for Terifying as a woman who let her husband shove her around, but times like these, with her "mother of 5 children at home (all of whom are healthy, capable adults but we won't mention that!)" shtick really gripes my soul. 

~~~~

*I also don't know why some call her Griselda but it's onomatapoeia IMHO to match her general "life is sooo grim but aren't I a hero for marching on?" persona AND I LOVE IT!

Griselda is the name of a fairytale character who is patient throughout a whole bunch of her husband's abusive and emotionally manipulative shenanigans. Both Perrault and Boccaccio have versions of a Patient Griselda story (using Griselda as the name.)

It's appropriate for Teri.

2 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Griselda is the name of a fairytale character who is patient throughout a whole bunch of her husband's abusive and emotionally manipulative shenanigans. Both Perrault and Boccaccio have versions of a Patient Griselda story (using Griselda as the name.)

I call Teri Griselda because of Eleanor Roosevelt.  Like Teri Eleanor suffered from depression.  When she was depressed she called those times her Griselda moods.

22 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

They are full of shit. They both went to school and college so they know that is taught. They have turned their backs on their own education to get people to isolate and undereducate their way. Doesn't Teri have a psychology degree? I remember reading that somewhere long ago when I first fell into this rabbit hole. If that's the truth then she KNOWS how much damage she's done to her children in all aspects. These people piss me off so much, but it's a slow non-moving trainwreck I can't stay away from. 

I do remember hearing that they have a higher traditional educational background. Not sure exactly what Terri did, but if it was Psychology it still doesn't mean she understands the damage she did, either personally/emotionally or from an intellectual level. Was her degree a BA or a BSC? What school did she go to? Did she take any Child and Developmental Psych classes?

Not excusing her behaviour and inaction at all. I understand she was... is? ...depressed. When you have kids that makes it even more important to get help if you are sick, so you can be healthy for your kids. Mental illness is an illness the same as having diabetes or some other ongoing condition.

And Teri is administering. What a wonderful family tradition! :my_sick:

Abby looks so uncomfortable in those pictures. I'm sure she just loves dressing up like her Grandma. 

Something tells me Teri was jealous that the granddaughters like to dress up like their aunts, and decided she wanted to do that, too.

It's kind of cute when the little girls wear the same prints as their aunts, it's really not when they do it with their grandmother. 

9 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

And Teri administering. What a wonderful theirfamily tradition! :my_sick:

Abby looks so uncomfortable in those pictures. I'm sure she just loves dressing up like her Grandma. 

Something tells me Teri was jealous that the granddaughters like to dress up like their aunts, and decided she wanted to do that, too.

It's kind of cute when the little girls wear the same prints as their aunts, it's really not when they do it with their grandmother. 

I wish the girls could dress more like their maternal aunts and not like their paternal ones.

Either Abby is really tall or Teri is very short. I don't remember being almost my grandma's height when I was eight. The average eight year old girl is about 4ft. 

23 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Does anyone remember a song by the Monkees called "Auntie Griselda?"  One of the lines goes "She couldn't budge a smile and do it for free...so righteous making fudge, your auntie Griselda...so proper judging others over her tea."  Perfect, Jigsaw3!

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

And Teri is administering. What a wonderful family tradition! :my_sick:

But it can't be a tradition. This is something Teri will not pass down.

When I administered the Iowa standardized tests each year for our homeschool co-op, I had to sign a statement giving my college bachelor graduation information. Moms who only had an associates or no college had the whole day off or helped in the nursery. 

Looking at their website:  http://www.setontesting.com/iowa-tests/  A BA or BS is still required to administer this battery of tests. Nice that Grandma Maxwell is able to do this, but all her children as well as children-in-law sure won't.

59 minutes ago, Pastors Daughter said:

But it can't be a tradition. This is something Teri will not pass down.

When I administered the Iowa standardized tests each year for our homeschool co-op, I had to sign a statement giving my college bachelor graduation information. Moms who only had an associates or no college had the whole day off or helped in the nursery. 

Looking at their website:  http://www.setontesting.com/iowa-tests/  A BA or BS is still required to administer this battery of tests. Nice that Grandma Maxwell is able to do this, but all her children as well as children-in-law sure won't.

Interesting! 

Oh the Maxwells - how little self-awareness you all possess. 

On 3/16/2017 at 9:53 AM, danvillebelle said:

OK, I am going to be a total bitchy snark queen and say...I can't believe how much Teri has aged in the last 10 years.  Holy cow.

IMO, she looks 70 or over in that pic.  Isn't she in her very early 60's?  I know several women that age, and none of them looks that old.  None.  I have friends in their mid-70's who look WAY younger.  Living with Stevehovah apparently wears you down, inside and out.

Yep, she's 61, born in August 1955.

Part two of the marriage conference is up - doesn't surprise me that Teri and Steve prefer to listen to "sermons" rather than do assignments or break off into small groups. So much easier! No reflection necessary!

I wonder if they went with the idea that they would put on their own marriage seminars. They need to start making more money.

31 minutes ago, jegfile said:

Part two of the marriage conference is up - doesn't surprise me that Teri and Steve prefer to listen to "sermons" rather than do assignments or break off into small groups. So much easier! No reflection necessary!

I wonder if they went with the idea that they would put on their own marriage seminars. They need to start making more money.

You guys!  I have ruined my iPad screen. Teri's post put me over the edge and I grabbed a red pen and made corrections to her writing. It's like I woke up from a trance and found this road map of red marks all over the screen. :smiley-signs131:

I thought it was very rude of Teri to start her post with an insult of the book that inspired them to attend the seminar, writing that it was "repetitive." The Maxwells are certainly incapable of describing anything with passion or excitement; aren't they? I felt like she was describing the seminar like the inner workings of a clock or something - very mechanical and dry. 

Now I will have to google this marriage seminar to see some actual reviews. 

Thanks for adding to my workload, Maxwell family. 

Edited to add Teri's comment about the book. Steve might decide to clean things up, ya know : "We enjoyed the Love and Respect Marriage Conference. Before we went, we weren’t quite sure what to expect, because the book seemed fairly repetitive. So we weren’t sure if the conference would be the same way. Wow! It wasn’t at all. We found the live experience to be concise and amazing!"

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

You guys!  I have ruined my iPad screen. Teri's post put me over the edge and I grabbed a red pen and made corrections to her writing. It's like I woke up from a trance and found this road map of red marks all over the screen.

I read her first sentence or two and felt a similar urge to mark multiple grammar/spelling errors.  Then I skimmed to the bottom of the post and the photo of them at a restaurant, and my eyes [and apparently dirty mind] were drawn to Teri's left hand...  At least she's not wearing contrasting buttons on her shirt, though, right?

What gets me the most about the Maxwells' writing is not the grammar/spelling stuff. IMO, they are leaps and bounds beyond people like Erika Schupe and Jill Rodrigues in that respect. What gets me about the Maxwells is the style. It's not just their weird affinity for the passive voice or their sometimes convoluted and circuitous way of getting to the point. It's that they just don't read, and that shows up in their writing. The writing on the Maxwell blog always reads like a passage from a textbook for young children learning English as a second language. It's all stilted and flavorless, and the writers (usually Teri and PSarah) always sound uncomfortable. 

5 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Better than a TED Talk?! Oh my, gotta get me and DH to that conference!!:pb_rollseyes:

No, not a TED talk, a "Ted Talk"!  :my_tongue: (apologies to the youngsters who don't remember Ted Baxter)hqdefault.jpg

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived