IGNORED

Election Results 2016, Part 2

Destiny

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

A candidate can't win the general election if they don't receive at least 270 electoral votes. Trump, thanks in large part to swing states, won 279. Clinton won only 228. The popular vote doesn't matter because he got more electoral votes than her. It was a closer election then anyone expected.

This is a legacy of the rich, white males who founded this country -- they wanted to be sure that the poor white stupids didn't fuck up elections by, you know, just voting for the wrong person. The electoral college is meant to be a corrective to the ignorant popular vote. How each state's electors are chosen varies by state; some are winner-take-all but others are proportional.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I'm actually wondering if he's gonna end up bailing. Not that pence is an improvement, and he's arguably worse, but I wonder.

I think he's worse on social issues, but I don't think he'd get us in a nuclear war because someone insulted him on twitter. And I don't think he would use the office to get revenge on people he perceives to have wronged him (I feel dirty even semi-defending that man.) 

And, as far as the social issues go, we're screwed either way. I don't believe Trump cares about that stuff, so he'll likely turn it over to someone else in his administration. 

I don't disagree re: Pence,@rosewilder. Pence is the same terrifying beliefs in a calmer package, but I agree. I don't think he will start world war three because someone said his fingers were small on twitter.

What even is life right now?

3 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I am eating ravioli at 10:30 in the morning.  Stress eating.

I just now rolled my ass out of bed. I'm completely numb.

My 17-year-old daughter came home last night after an election-night watching party with her classmates, and she was in tears. She's afraid Roe v. Wade is going to be overturned, that there will be mass round-ups of immigrants, no help for refugees, and that it will be open season on LGBTQIAs.

I honestly had no words. I have no idea what to tell her.

I'm shocked that I am living in a country with such a high number of ignorant people. I am shocked I am living in a country with such a high number of people who hate so strongly or who are just so apathetic that they would ignore what he stands for because they hated Hillary so much or couldn't bear to see a woman in office.

I don't see how someone could watch his performance over the last year and still vote for him.

This was all a game to him, and this morning I woke up to a country that will soon become a surrealistic, dangerous combination of Idiocracy and The Apprentice.

Thank you @RoseWilder and @VelociRapture for the explanation. When I first read about her winning the popular vote, I thought for a split second maybe I got it wrong and it wasn't such a bleak outcome afterall. Then kept reading and realised I was confused. Thanks for clearing it up a bit.

8 minutes ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

Thank you @RoseWilder and @VelociRapture for the explanation. When I first read about her winning the popular vote, I thought for a split second maybe I got it wrong and it wasn't such a bleak outcome afterall. Then kept reading and realised I was confused. Thanks for clearing it up a bit.

You're welcome! I know our political system - and country in general - can be confusing at times for foreigners. I mean, it even confuses natural born citizens. For an example, just look at Trump trying to discuss anything regarding the Constitution, responsibilities of the President, what is and isn't legal...

27 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Is this where we come to wail, gnash our teeth, and rip out our hair?  :kitty-cussing: I'm shocked and horrified.

WTF has happened? I am so terrified for our future.  

If it's not the place, we need one.  Or just a room where we can all sit and be numb.  An uncomfortably-high number of my family and in-laws voted for this clown, and I don't know whether to be depressed or freaked out.  And I have nowhere to go to be freaked out/depressed, and figure out how to keep my mouth shut at Thanksgiving. 

http://www.cracked.com/blog/dont-panic/

First, understand that the opposite of panic is not blithe acceptance of the situation -- it's clear-minded, positive, day-to-day action. Panic makes you do stupid shit or, even worse, curl up into a ball and do nothing

Bad things are absolutely going to happen over the next few years. There will be outrages and disasters. That means people will need your help and you do not have the option of sitting it out. Just know that none of this is unprecedented -- you're just seeing it for the first time, many of you too young to have been paying attention pre-Obama. The old guys who wept with joy when Obama took office did it because they knew that getting there had been a long, brutal road, full of pitfalls and harrowing detours around mountains of bullshit. They saw the Civil Rights Movement bloom in the 1960s, only to run smack into the Reagan years. They pressed on and saw the tide turn.

Some of you wake up every day feeling like you have no purpose in life, and motherfucker, have I got news for you! The future is waiting to see what we do next. Let's get to it.

We all need to take a couple of days to mourn and then we really need to get our shit together for when mid-term elections come up in two years. Representatives also need to be flooded on a regular basis with messages letting them know that we don't want a government that is racist, homophobic, and anti-woman. They need to know that there are a shit ton of people who won't vote for them if they start pushing those sorts of laws. 

And a little glimmer of sun in all this, NC got rid of Pat McCrory!

Scotland calling to express sincere condolences to US voters. I think I can speak for the Brit FJers who appreciated you hanging out with us in the Brexit thread earlier this year. To those who asked about countries to move to, you are all most welcome here! For the wine drinkers among you all, this helped take the edge off IndyRef and Brexit ☺

images.jpg

1 minute ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

Scotland calling to express sincere condolences to US voters. I think I can speak for the Brit FJers who appreciated you hanging out with us in the Brexit thread earlier this year. To those who asked about countries to move to, you are all most welcome here! For the wine drinkers among you all, this helped take the edge off IndyRef and Brexit ☺

Could you get Scotland to deport the Hodnetts first? 

Let me know when that happens and I'll be right over! :pb_razz:

50 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

He's not my president either!  And I will never respect him, nor his supporters.  I will probably be fine, but there are many, many people who will truly suffer under this Trump/Pence presidency, and for a long time beyond, depending on how many Supreme Court justices get appointed in the next four years.  We are facing a world of hurt, and his supporters will have very little to show for their vote.  Manufacturing jobs ain't coming back.  But enjoy the openly racist activity all around your neighborhoods, since Trump normalized the KKK.

Agree that Trump is not at all interested in the hard work of being president, but he already planned for that.  He's going to have the V.P. do all the heavy lifting, while he travels around the country, "making America great again."  This is what his own son said during the campaign.  It will be similar to the Bush/Cheney years.  And with Republican majorities in both the Senate and the House, and likely a stacked Supreme Court, there will no longer be any checks or balances.

Ewwww. Pence doing all the work. Bad enough Indiana got him. Ewww. I am hoping a few GOP members with hearts keep him in check. You can just change everything you don't want. 

How is that legal? We can't make laws on personal feelings. We need checks and balances 

I hope we only vote blue for a long ass time. 

1 minute ago, hoipolloi said:

Let me know when that happens and I'll be right over! :pb_razz:

Well if they'll let the Hodnett's in they'll surely let anyone in!

Except maybe Trump. They're not big fans of Trump at all! So you should be safe there.

2 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

Explain to me why Trump supporters keep saying they want America back? 

They don't like brown people 

What do you do when your husband is in support of Trump?

Murder. It's your only choice. :-P

Seriously, mister d is a republican too, though thankfully he did not like or vote for Trump. That said, he, as a white dude, doesn't understand why I'm so upset and is making me ragey.

Maybe just imagine strangling him and wear headphones?

8 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/dont-panic/

We all need to take a couple of days to mourn and then we really need to get our shit together for when mid-term elections come up in two years. Representatives also need to be flooded on a regular basis with messages letting them know that we don't want a government that is racist, homophobic, and anti-woman. They need to know that there are a shit ton of people who won't vote for them if they start pushing those sorts of laws. 

And a little glimmer of sun in all this, NC got rid of Pat McCrory!

MO unfortunately went heavy Republican in the big races, although many of them were close.  I'm especially glad that Roy Blunt won by only a few percent - the GOP was making a big thing that his opponent was a "Career Politician" although Roy has been in some elected office or other since 19-freaking-73.  His opponent the "career politician" was born in 1981.  And our Governor candidates were interesting - the Republican used to be a Democrat, and vice versa.  On the other hand, it looks like the Voter ID Amendment passed. :(  And the dueling cigarette-tax measures, so how they figure that out will be interesting to watch.

Where's that exploding-head emoji??

Did not realize (or forgot) that Mike Pence is a Young Earth Creationist. 

OMFG.

3 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Good grief, are they still here? Best go catch up on that thread. Fell down a rabbit hole of reading the XGayGreg and Dede shenanigans and have only just come up for air :my_cry:

2 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

Divorce. 

Well that's not feasible right now.

Back to my regular snark topics.  I need a break from this shit.

38 minutes ago, EyeQueue said:

I just now rolled my ass out of bed. I'm completely numb.

My 17-year-old daughter came home last night after an election-night watching party with her classmates, and she was in tears. She's afraid Roe v. Wade is going to be overturned, that there will be mass round-ups of immigrants, no help for refugees, and that it will be open season on LGBTQIAs.

I honestly had no words. I have no idea what to tell her.

I'm shocked that I am living in a country with such a high number of ignorant people. I am shocked I am living in a country with such a high number of people who hate so strongly or who are just so apathetic that they would ignore what he stands for because they hated Hillary so much or couldn't bear to see a woman in office.

I don't see how someone could watch his performance over the last year and still vote for him.

This was all a game to him, and this morning I woke up to a country that will soon become a surrealistic, dangerous combination of Idiocracy and The Apprentice.

They can't overturn Wade. Even Trump said it will go back to the states. People who only voted for Trump because he is prolife should stop voting. I'm sorry for your dd. My dd was in tears too. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived