IGNORED

Election Results 2016, Part 2

Destiny

So are there any chances Trump will end up not following through with almost all his promises? There is a tiny thread of hope I'm clinging to that he is going to give the middle finger to all the people who voted him in and then be nothing like he promised he would be. 

The thing we can learn from this is that if given the opportunity, the country will go backwards very, very fast. A couple of years ago no one would have thought a guy being opening supported by the KKK would stand a chance at running, yet here we are. Appealing to Christian decency won't work since it seems most of the evangelical Christians gave no shits about what Trump stand for. Appealing to common decency didn't work. So what will help? How do we make true progress? We have four years to figure this out because a Trump can't happen again. 

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

snip

They did, but don't appear to have won a super majority. Which means they'll either have to work with Democrats to get Supreme Court nominees appointed or they'll have to use the nucleur option - which would be highly hypocritical since they spent the last few months mocking the Democrats for considering that option.

Snip

Do you really think that is going to stop them? 

I was just reminded by the media that 27 years ago today the Berlin Wall fell. I actually forgot about it this year and I never do. I am 29. I don't remember what it was like but I feel we are building walls again in this world. Those made of bricks and those made of ignorance and hatred.

4 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I've been sitting here wondering what I would tell my child, if I had one. 

I wish Fred Rogers was still around. "Look for the helpers - you will always see people helping." 

FWIW, I got asked this earlier this week by my 6 year old (she asks hard questions, and she sees through BS answers)--she asked what would happen if people elected someone with bad ideas.  I discussed (kinda) separation of powers--that we've had presidents AND congresses with bad ideas (segregated schools as my example) before, and that even though I the supreme court wasn't perfect (by a longshot), they enforced fair laws (still not entirely true, but...6 year old level).

And I told her we respect the position and that other people voted--the same way we'd expect them to respect our candidate.

And I told her that even someone with horrible ideas would only be president for 4 years, and that we can hope they can't do that much damage in 4 years.

I'm hoping that he proves worth the hedging I've done.

I keep thinking of the cartoon show Drawn Together that lasted for 3 seasons on Comedy Central.  The conceit was that it was like "The Surreal Life," but all of the housemates are types of cartoon characters.  In one episode, they have an Apprentice-style competition.  The host is a child version of Donald Trump who has an orgasm every time he says "You're fired."

That's our President Elect.  An overgrown child who is sexually aroused by humiliating people.

3 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I was just reminded by the media that 27 years ago today the Berlin Wall fell. I actually forgot about it this year and I never do. I am 29. I don't remember what it was like but I feel we are building walls again in this world. Those made of bricks and those made of ignorance and hatred.

It's also the anniversary of Kristallnacht.

10 minutes ago, GeoBQn said:

It's also the anniversary of Kristallnacht.

Yes, I know but all the comparisons I could have made there feel too dark, even for Trump. I very much hope to still feel this way in 4 years.

Edit: Not sure I made myself clear here. I basically meant us Germans aren't quick with comparing anything to Hitler or the Holocaust.

I was really disappointed with HC last night. I think she owed her supporters (who had been there all night) some words of encouragement after such a devestating loss. That is the first time I can remember a candidate leaving after conceding without giving some sort of a statement/ thank you to their supporters. I have turned off the tv for a while, but is there a press conference today?

3 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Do you really think that is going to stop them? 

Of course not. They're like Eric Cartman - "Whatever, whatever. I do what I want!"

Doesn't make it any less hypocritical though.

@formergotharditeMy only hope is this -

Despite them taking Congress and the Presidency, they likely won't have a Super Majority. Which could make it tougher for them to do everything they want without help from the other side or from Independents. I'm pretty hopeless about the Supreme Court though. As I mentioned earlier, they could use the nucleur option and reset the amount of support they need to have nomination hearings. What that means for the country is still undecided - but it likely won't be good.

Additionally, I think Trump is the ultimate opportunist. If he realizes the majority of people support something he may throw his support behind it too. Which is partly why I think he was so fucking vague on details during the election (that, and just not knowing jackshit.)

I think some of his over the top claims during the election  will come back to bite him in the ass eventually. Like building a wall and making Mexico pay for it. I have a feeling a lot of supporters are going to be pissed when that doesn't happen and the alternative is either not having a wall or having a wall built using taxpayer money - which will increase the deficit or increase taxes.

And finally, I do think some supporters will eventually realize what a bad choice he was for not only others, but for themselves specifically. Like if Healthcare protections go away and Insurance companies are given free reign again. Having higher premiums will seem like a dream for those that voted for Trump and lost their insurance for it.

Small mercies: it appears that he may lose the popular vote. If so, fuck the electoral college.

I'm really not into the "whatever happens we just need to trust in JESUS - he's more important than any leader we have!" statuses. I mean yeah if you're Christian that's your thing I get it but don't freaking use Him as a way to brush off how disturbing this is. It's gross and the type of superficial crap that turned me off from my own religion. You can analyze what went wrong and what's going wrong and still trust Him.

So Hillary is going to speak in a few minutes.  Are you all tuned in?

Sorry if this was brought up overnight, but I missed some pages on the last thread.....

is Donnie T still claiming the election is rigged?

1 minute ago, Toothfairy said:

Who are the bigots, racists, etc gonna blame when anything goes wrong now?Obama?

Yes they will. The far-right Republicans I know say that the bad things that happened while Bush were in office were Clinton's fault and the good things that happened while Obama was in office were Bush's doing. 

I've learned with the far-right that they are never ever wrong. And neither is their candidate. 

Paul Ryan just spoke and is already talking about removing Obamacare. I feel sick. The only hope for any of my family to have health insurance is over. With my mom so sick with her back, I don't even know what I'm supposed to do. My God.

11 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

Trump is for the rich only. So what will middle class and poor do? 

Admire the riches of their "betters" and deride "the poors," as they have always done. It has often been said that Americans seldom consider themselves poor, but merely as temporarily inconvenienced millionaires.

I am eating ravioli at 10:30 in the morning.  Stress eating.

@JoyfulSel I think baby steps would behoove a new leader... taking on Obamacare out of the gate is not going to go well for him.... unless he has a reasonable replacement.  

24 minutes ago, Nomorethanfour said:

I was really disappointed with HC last night. I think she owed her supporters (who had been there all night) some words of encouragement after such a devestating loss. That is the first time I can remember a candidate leaving after conceding without giving some sort of a statement/ thank you to their supporters. I have turned off the tv for a while, but is there a press conference today?

Yes. At 9:30am. Here is the truth. She was devasted last night and wanted to get her act together before she addressed her supporters. It was well after 2am and there was still question about the race. She felt it was best to not keep them waiting and allow herself to put together a better speech than what she had if she lost. She conceded after Pondesta closed down the campaign event  

Frankly, I get that. Hillary may be tough, but she is also human. She, her staff and supporters were given faulty information basically this whole campaign. When you get a massive kick in the guts like she did last night, it can take time to get your act together. 

4 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I am eating ravioli at 10:30 in the morning.  Stress eating.

@JoyfulSel I think baby steps would behoove a new leader... taking on Obamacare out of the gate is not going to go well for him.... unless he has a reasonable replacement.  

I wish I could trust that, but with everything so Republican controlled, they want to fast-track into right-wing economical views and destroy everything. I got such a "scorched earth" vibe from that asshole Ryan.

@MarblesMom said: I am eating ravioli at 10:30 in the morning.  Stress eating.

Jeeeze, me too and I've only done that a few times in my life.  I also slept about two hours last night -- tossed and turned and just could NOT sleep.  

And yes, from what I understand, Hillary won the popular vote by about 131,600 votes. 

Second time in recent U.S. history that the candidate with the popular vote lost the election.   Gore/Bush in 2000 was the other time. 

10 minutes ago, JoyfulSel said:

Paul Ryan just spoke and is already talking about removing Obamacare. I feel sick. The only hope for any of my family to have health insurance is over. With my mom so sick with her back, I don't even know what I'm supposed to do. My God.

Fuck him. Why do they dislike poor and middle class folks so much? Ryan wants to run in 2020 too. John Boehner wasn't like Ryan. At least he had some heart in him.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived