IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part 11: Future Baby Mama

samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, patsymae said:

Saints with that feast day include Adalbald, Adeloga, Apronian, Cornelius
 Feock, Flosculus and Theodoric. All ugly enough for a Seewald. (There's also a Joan and a Lawrence but that would be too normal). (Also Bridghid as a nod to Christianity taking over Brigit's feast of Imbolc.) Or maybe they can just call the baby Candlemas  Seewald.

Please please please let it be Feock Seewald! I would die laughing

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pence is a much better name then Spurgeon though. They would both be named after men with horrible believes (in my opinion) but Pence sounds like a name at least. 

2 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

At least Luther, Martin, and Calvin are fairly common and roll off the tongue. Even if they named Seebaby # 2 one of those it still wouldn't be on poor Spurgie's level.  

Plus in a weird hipster way and how they're so smug-- regular Christians name their kids Martin, Luther and Calvin. They're not speshul enough for a Seewald-Duggar spawn.

Exactly. They wanted to make people run to Wikipedia to figure out what the heck a Spurgeon is, because it proves they're much more enlightened/dedicated to their faith. Meanwhile, choosing something like Martin, Luther or Calvin probably wouldn't even raise eyebrows in a very secular crowd. Plus, people might mistake more mainstream religious names to be in honor of non-Duggar approved figures (i.e. Martin - St. Martin of Tours). 

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

It would be nice if they went more normal and Spurgie eventually used Elliott, he could be Eli! 

I hope that they call him by his middle name in private, even if they need to call him Spurgeon publicly to prove how special they are. 

1 hour ago, December said:

I hope that they call him by his middle name in private, even if they need to call him Spurgeon publicly to prove how special they are. 

Elliot Spurgeon would have been better imo. 

From what we've seen per insta and the show-- they seem to make variant nicknames on Spurgeon ("Spurgie"), right?

1 hour ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Elliot Spurgeon would have been better imo. 

From what we've seen per insta and the show-- they seem to make variant nicknames on Spurgeon ("Spurgie"), right?

Yeah it's usually Spurgie. Which is odd. I just hope when he's old enough to have a say, he chooses to go by Elliott. I guess he wouldn't know that his name is super strange though. 

8 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

I think they said in some People article that the theme would be heroes of the Christian faith 

But how would they incorporate that for a girl? They are all men, men, men, men and more men, because women can't be heros you know, only martyrs that die during child birth or sth. (but didn't they say they want 15 sons, well, good for them, I hope they'll never have girl!)

at least the catholic curch has plenty of female holy people to choose names from including Mary (which would be a beautiful name, but oh so catholic!)

the protestants denied even more that there is a female spiritual leader possible than the catholic church already does. I didn't grow up in church but my family is protestant. I have to say that if I had to choose I'd choose to be catholic, they at east have some sort celebration of mother Mary and other female saints.

16 hours ago, jozina said:

The mix of genes in the Duggars is kind of amazing really, just seeing how different or similar they can be. Makes me wonder what 19 of my blessings would look like, with all those different combinations of them. Not enough to go all quiverfull and have another 16 of course.

I wonder the same thing and I don't have any children yet. :D

11 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

If they have a girl they could name her Phillippa. Probably too cute for their taste though! 

Philippa is wonderful! I don't know wether it would work in German though. But I love it for English speaking folks.

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

It would be nice if they went more normal and Spurgie eventually used Elliott, he could be Eli! 

I really hope he will use Elliott at one point. It is a lovely name.

I wish they had gone with Charles or Haddon (Charles Spurgeon's middle name) if they wanted to pay tribute. I agree that I hope he goes by Elliot when he's older. 

And I have no idea what heroes of the Christian faith names could be used for a female. Taylor? Probably too mainstream for them! 

7 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Yeah it's usually Spurgie. Which is odd. I just hope when he's old enough to have a say, he chooses to go by Elliott. I guess he wouldn't know that his name is super strange though. 

Hmmmm. From what I am learning from you guys at FJ and the research you are inspiring me to do (aka the rabbit hole you have sent me down)....

He is never going to be old enough to have a say....he is never going to chose.

4 hours ago, eveandadam said:

But how would they incorporate that for a girl? They are all men, men, men, men and more men, because women can't be heros you know, only martyrs that die during child birth or sth. (but didn't they say they want 15 sons, well, good for them, I hope they'll never have girl!)

at least the catholic curch has plenty of female holy people to choose names from including Mary (which would be a beautiful name, but oh so catholic!)

the protestants denied even more that there is a female spiritual leader possible than the catholic church already does. I didn't grow up in church but my family is protestant. I have to say that if I had to choose I'd choose to be catholic, they at east have some sort celebration of mother Mary and other female saints.

Not true, there are plenty of missionaries, mothers of famous men (Susanna Wesley?), writers and scholars in the "respectable" denominations, but when it comes to the SeeSpawns I could definitely see them go with obscure virtue-names for girls before acknowledging female intellectuals.

50 minutes ago, Iokaste said:

Not true, there are plenty of missionaries, mothers of famous men (Susanna Wesley?), writers and scholars in the "respectable" denominations, but when it comes to the SeeSpawns I could definitely see them go with obscure virtue-names for girls before acknowledging female intellectuals.

This may be true (in the US?, because I don't know any here), but are they on the same level as the male scholars? At least mother Mary is ubiquous in the catholic church, along with a lot of female saints that became saints not by being a mother of some sort but for intelectual, spiritual, religious or political achievements (and that even hundrets or more than 1000 years ago).

I would be very interested in female scholars of the protestant church since I really don't know any. Is this a new thing? (from the 20th century maybe?) From what I've learnt (but maybe that is wrong?) the women of the puritans leaving Europe and immigrating to America were a lot more oppressed than their catholic counterparts.

2 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

This may be true (in the US?, because I don't know any here), but are they on the same level as the male scholars? At least mother Mary is ubiquous in the catholic church, along with a lot of female saints that became saints not by being a mother of some sort but for intelectual, spiritual, religious or political achievements (and that even hundrets or more than 1000 years ago).

I would be very interested in female scholars of the protestant church since I really don't know any. Is this a new thing? (from the 20th century maybe?) From what I've learnt (but maybe that is wrong?) the women of the puritans leaving Europe and immigrating to America were a lot more oppressed than their catholic counterparts.

I'm not in the US, but several of the most prestigious schools of divinity, such as Yale and Harvard, has outstanding female scholars.
Theres an entire theology known as Feminist Theology (I doubt heavily that the Duggar and their offspring would know of or recognize this), and ofcourse historically men have dominated the field as women had no way of gaining entry to the universities and academies and the recognizion that wuold come through that.

Sorry, I'm off to a meating (stealing hours from the Man  here ;-) )

18 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I would still guess they would name a boy Luther, Martin or Calvin, after the protestant theorists.

For a girl, idk, Jessica, for Jessa?

Depends on if they consider themselves Protestants or they believe in Baptist Successionism. Many IFB, espectially the extremeist ones, don't consider themselves Protestants but believe that they have descended from Christians who were never part of the Catholic Church. If they are Baptist Successionists, Martin Luther is only an interesting historical figure not one they would deem a hero of the faith. Ben might go for Calvin since he is a Calvinist but the Duggars aren't so he might not want to rub that in Boob's face. Then again, it might be the only way to buck against being under Boob's thumb. Letting Ben court Jessa clenched it for me that JB only does Gothardism because it aids what he wants anyway (a wifey and a bajillion kids all under his control) and has no clue about the theological tenets of Gothardism. He simply found a system that gave reasons to what he would have done anyway.

trail of blood.JPG

19 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Saints?! There's no way the Duggars would name their child after a saint. Only Ebil Catholics do that :angry-devil:

I thought of that but them I remembered Michelle doing a big deal about St. Patrick so I thought maybe they accept pre-Reformation saints. I couldn't find any other religious things for that date

Martha? Wasn't she the sister who said Mary should be in the kitchen and not in the other room trying to talk important stuff with the men?

22 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Martha? Wasn't she the sister who said Mary should be in the kitchen and not in the other room trying to talk important stuff with the men?

Martha sounds like a really nice , old fashioned but newly en vogue , first name for girls, just like Meredith. Perfect story to that name, too. What about Siloam Martha Seewald?

24 minutes ago, patsymae said:

I thought of that but them I remembered Michelle doing a big deal about St. Patrick so I thought maybe they accept pre-Reformation saints. I couldn't find any other religious things for that date

I believe it was Martha! Maybe they will do bible names for the girls. I am sure if they looks through the who begot who section of the old testament that they could find something that suits their taste. I mean Rachel, Hannah, Mary (as if!), Abigail, Dinah? No they will use something like Gomer, Hephzibab, Peninnah, Syntyche. :P   

2 hours ago, eveandadam said:

Martha sounds like a really nice , old fashioned but newly en vogue , first name for girls, just like Meredith. Perfect story to that name, too. What about Siloam Martha Seewald?

'Aunt Martha' is what the women in my family call the monthly curse, i.e. "Aunt Martha is visiting." As such, I can't take this name seriously!

7 hours ago, Iokaste said:

but when it comes to the SeeSpawns I could definitely see them go with obscure virtue-names for girls before acknowledging female intellectuals.

Pilgrim names! Prudence, Patience, Humility, Chastity, Smugness, the list goes on! 

I'm sure they won't take M-name (because M4's) and S-name (because that make first letter theme)

I see them choosing something like Edwin, Gertrude, Baldrick. But I hope for something more like Bennet Calvin Seewald

I don't think that Feock is an ugly name, but I am Cornish (as was St Feock) and grew up close to Feock (it's a place), so it's just another name to me... Lots of people who are not familiar with Cornish names, dialect, and cadence think they are funny/ugly - Demelza, Morwenna, Jory, Jago, Trevelyan etc. I guess this just shows how beauty and attractiveness are cultural constructs rather than objective truths. 

1 hour ago, BabyBottlePop said:

'Aunt Martha' is what the women in my family call the monthly curse, i.e. "Aunt Martha is visiting." As such, I can't take this name seriously!

Pilgrim names! Prudence, Patience, Humility, Chastity, Smugness, the list goes on! 

Modesty! Charity! Ministry?

2 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

We called her Aunt Flo! :) 

And Fellowship and Precious! 

Sassypants,

My niece and nephew-in-law  have 3 boys in three years also with one more boy due in January. 

They have done a similar thing. Oldest child has a name which is becoming quite popular but only a boy name. #2 has a name that is either male or female, spelling included. #3 has traditional Royal name. #4 is going to be given a traditional Royal name. 

I am already thinking that #2 boy is going to resent his name as he gets older as it doesn't " fit in" with his brothers names. It is also a name that will tie him forever to the decade in which he was born.

The plus side though that his middle name is a good solid traditional name. I'm hoping that he will start to use it instead when he is older.

I'm so done with how much interest Jessa likes to generate in herself. She's way too into her fame. Get excited over twins! Come to our website and vote on the gender! Come to our website and nominate a name that we'll never use! Wait a week with bated breath while we hold off on announcing the name! Come to our website to read about our favorite thing to do, take walks! Get excited over twins a second time! There is more going on that you know not of! Stay tuned and go to our website! 

Get over yourself and live your life, woman.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived