IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen- Part 23: Even more Duggary

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, marmalade said:

And to totally change tacks, I forgot that JB said this. Is this where Jill got her "2/3 of all families" statistic from? Her own homechurch? 

12347666_556754547825895_7736428256528986588_n.png

How does someone with the intelligence that God gave a hermit crab spew that shit? 

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished writing a final paper about the Duggars. o_o It was for a News Media class and I focused on how the news has a role in making (or breaking) a brand, and used the Duggars as an example. I of course had to detail Josh-gate as what "broke" the brand.

My point was to explain why anyone would have wanted to un-ironically watch a show about the Duggars if they were such despicable people (pre-Josh-gate). The realities of fundamentalism were/are so obscure that people didn't know how constricted they were, and only saw a happy, quirky, smiley family (the brand). Of course, anyone could have researched ATI and figured it out, but no one cared to and it wasn't front-and-center on TLC (and anyone who knew simply didn't have the platform to do anything about it). It wasn't until the Josh Duggar scandal happened that blew the lid off and TLC was forced to cancel the show. The principle of branding also explains why Counting On happened, since TLC just re-focused on the daughters -- re-branding -- and got rid of the dead weight (Michelle and Jim Bob for the most part, and Josh entirely). Everyone still wanted to watch the Duggar kids get married and have babies, since courtship has been romanticized so much on the show.

28 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I just finished writing a final paper about the Duggars. o_o It was for a News Media class and I focused on how the news has a role in making (or breaking) a brand, and used the Duggars as an example. I of course had to detail Josh-gate as what "broke" the brand.

My point was to explain why anyone would have wanted to un-ironically watch a show about the Duggars if they were such despicable people (pre-Josh-gate). The realities of fundamentalism were/are so obscure that people didn't know how constricted they were, and only saw a happy, quirky, smiley family (the brand). Of course, anyone could have researched ATI and figured it out, but no one cared to and it wasn't front-and-center on TLC (and anyone who knew simply didn't have the platform to do anything about it). It wasn't until the Josh Duggar scandal happened that blew the lid off and TLC was forced to cancel the show. The principle of branding also explains why Counting On happened, since TLC just re-focused on the daughters -- re-branding -- and got rid of the dead weight (Michelle and Jim Bob for the most part, and Josh entirely). Everyone still wanted to watch the Duggar kids get married and have babies, since courtship has been romanticized so much on the show.

Did you discuss loss of advertisers due to the scandal, and how the ratings plummetd by about half, even for Jinger's wedding, compared to pre-Joshgate numbers, essentially putting the "brand" in the toilet for several months, and forcing TLC to consider a different model in which to save their show? Presenting some statistics would have strengthened a thesis that scandal can ravage a brand, and usually ruin it, unless it's the network's "baby."

Sorry for multiple posts, but DFO posted this pic of James at the dentist today, signed "Mom <3 Dad." Not sure why the caption didn't post. :/

i.e. No Duggars made the trip to Honduras this week, which is kind of odd, because it was the missioncation they took last year. Social media this weekend will either be filled with duffel bags stuffed with deflated soccer balls, Dum Dums, and nail polish, or we'll get radio silence. They have to leave by Friday, I think, so they're ready to work on Saturday when the missioncation begins. 

15391336_939344929532490_6010423669254636723_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Agreed, but that's rather harsh to hermit crabs.:shell:

Agreed I shouldn't have been so mean to the hermit crabs. 

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

And to totally change tacks, I forgot that JB said this. Is this where Jill got her "2/3 of all families" statistic from? Her own homechurch? 

12347666_556754547825895_7736428256528986588_n.png

I will never understand how this quote alone didn't make Megyn Kelly realize that there is obviously a bigger story here. If what he said is true, she should have dug deeper into who these "church friends" are and what the hell is going on that his situation is normal.

My initial thought was, I can't believe this wouldn't make Boob question that maybe his religion is to blame, but that would require independent thought and actual concern for his children :my_dodgy:.

28 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Did you discuss loss of advertisers due to the scandal, and how the ratings plummetd by about half, even for Jinger's wedding, compared to pre-Joshgate numbers, essentially putting the "brand" in the toilet for several months, and forcing TLC to consider a different model in which to save their show? Presenting some statistics would have strengthened a thesis that scandal can ravage a brand, and usually ruin it, unless it's the network's "baby."

Oh man, I wish I had the time (and I'm also so sick of looking at it) But that's a great point, and I'll definitely think about it if my professor lets me do revisions. I had to include other stuff (from the textbook, etc.) to meet requirements, so I had to narrow down what I chose to talk about. I chose the Duggar's association with IBLP (specifying their treatment of victims) and their staunch conservativism before relaying into Josh-gate; a 4-6 page paper became 10 already, otherwise I would have included blanket-training and female submission.

You can narrow it by focusing on how TLC perceives the Duggar Brand, and how they've had to adapt since Joshgate. All the numbers and quotes are out there; you just have to restructure a little. 

Sorry, my job in life is clarifying college papers, so that they have a clear thesis and that thesis is conveyed clearly and concisely. Please feel free to PM me your paper (original and with changes you intend to make (with a thesis clearly authenticated in your body, or at least trying), I can help your focus. :D  

Just get quotes (easy in this case) to support your thesis and I think you can get it done in 6 pages. You have to introduce the show and ratings. Your thesis is how Joshgate ruined the brand. Done and done. 

Interesting how we assume (because we are logical, non-brainwashed individuals) that the Josh scandal may have impacted potential courtships (maybe Josiah and Marjorie, but we also talk about how prospects may have been affected for the other kiddults). However, if it in fact is true that what Josh did to his sisters is really that common among many fundie families, I don't see how that would be a deterrent for them (unfortunately).

11 hours ago, marmalade said:

Sorry for multiple posts, but DFO posted this pic of James at the dentist today, signed "Mom <3 Dad." Not sure why the caption didn't post. :/

i.e. No Duggars made the trip to Honduras this week, which is kind of odd, because it was the missioncation they took last year. Social media this weekend will either be filled with duffel bags stuffed with deflated soccer balls, Dum Dums, and nail polish, or we'll get radio silence. They have to leave by Friday, I think, so they're ready to work on Saturday when the missioncation begins. 

I bet that they didn't have a passport for Tyler. They just got permanent guardianship and may not have had time to get all the paperwork sorted out.

15 minutes ago, flycat said:

I bet that they didn't have a passport for Tyler. They just got permanent guardianship and may not have had time to get all the paperwork sorted out.

Probably a good guess, and we know that Mechelle and Boob wouldnt miss out on a vacation caring for the child they were seeking legal guardianship of.  They likely cant take him out of the country, and who knows what the status of his vaccinations may be.

That JB quote never fails to irritate me!!!  And I wouldn't be surprised it they are going later this week, or at least some of the family.  Dad can go with the older kids and leave Michelle and Jana with the the younger girls and Tyler.  I wouldn't be surprised if both JB and M went but I would hope for Tyler's sake that one of them stays home.  It doesn't look good for family services if they both immediately leave the country for a week without him.  I wonder if Austin will go?  Between all the social media accts we will probably know for sure by the end of the week. 

JB and Michelle have often gone away leaving Jana at home to deal with the little ones. So I could easily imagine them taking off on a mission trip with the older ones leaving Tyler with Jana. Unless of course, this guardianship is tightly ruled on who is in charge of him. I am sure it is, but have no clue what those rules would be or how closely monitored the situation would be. Jana isn't listed as his guardian so I guess with Tyler it is harder to do what they always do with the rest of their kids.

Jana would be considered a legally competent adult.  You can leave people over which you have guardianship with another legally competent adult especially if it's someone in the family. 

14 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

How does someone with the intelligence that God gave a hermit crab spew that shit? 

I want to believe that's not a real quote from Jim-Bob. Mind you, if you look at the 'daddy-daughter' (sometimes sons pledge purity to their mothers too) purity balls in the fundie culture, I do believe the lines of incest are blurred there. :( 

'Blessed is the meek, humble hermit crab for it shall inherit the earth'. :)

1 hour ago, JMO said:

That JB quote never fails to irritate me!!!  And I wouldn't be surprised it they are going later this week, or at least some of the family.  Dad can go with the older kids and leave Michelle and Jana with the the younger girls and Tyler.  I wouldn't be surprised if both JB and M went but I would hope for Tyler's sake that one of them stays home.  It doesn't look good for family services if they both immediately leave the country for a week without him.  I wonder if Austin will go?  Between all the social media accts we will probably know for sure by the end of the week. 

I dont think its real.  The transcript from Boob and Michelle is here:

6/3/15

http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2015/06/04/exclusive-duggars-open-up-about-molestation-allegations-on-kelly-file/

this is the closest to the quote:

J. B. DUGGAR: -- over their clothes. And so it was a very difficult situation. But as we talked to other parents and different ones since then, a lot of families have said that they've had similar things happen in their families. And so -- I mean, this is, for us, of course, this is public shame that our son did this back 12, 13 years ago.

15 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

Ugh Purity balls give me the ultimate creeps! Yuck, yuck, double, triple, quadruple yuck! Those are so frigging skeevy. 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Ugh Purity balls give me the ultimate creeps! Yuck, yuck, double, triple, quadruple yuck! Those are so frigging skeevy. 

And can I be the first to say that this conversation and the path that it may go, IMO, is much more coarse, irresponsible and unnecessary than speculating on who might be pregnant based on clothing and apparent abdominal girth. 

JMO though. SO...

I do wonder if a group is going to Latin America. If Jana is adult enough to be an adult to littles in NWA, why not in LA too??? It's not like there won't be other adults there too.

I'm okay with the father-daughter dance are not purity balls. DD quite enjoyed the one her elementary school held. She got to have time with her dad and get dressed up. They  had a nice dinner set up and no purity crap involved. It was more of "fathers work & don't spend time with their daughters, here's an opportunity to get to know your daughter" . I guess they thought dads go do things with their sons not with daughters.

@Buzzard I think his quote was conflated with another that I believe Jill said.  She had given a number during the interview for the supposed general population that was really high.  It made me want Megyn Kelly to fact check her.  I'll see if I can find her transcript.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived