IGNORED

Even More Bateses! (Part the 19th)

Destiny

On 1.12.2016 at 9:38 PM, actuallyjessica said:

Placing bets on Carlin and Lawson or Trace and Lawson to go

I think they'll take two of the middle boys and Josie. Tori, Katie and Carlin will stay home and take care of the children (with support of Cherin) and maybe some of the little ones will be send to Michael or Michael also comes home to help.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has the Ellie Mae ring to it.  How many bedrooms do they have?  Will the next infant have to start doubling up?  Do most people really go that elaborate for a second child's newborn room?  My daughter changed the bedskirt, glider pillow, and name on the wall in the existing nursery.  She did set up a new room for the already existing two year old but it was nowhere as fancy as the Bates kids do.  it isn't shown on TV or social media.  Perhaps that's the difference.

I didn't think that people went that fancy the second time around either. Most of my friends just reused stuff that they already had and it was fine. Lexie Mae is an interesting name. As long as they like it. 

42 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I didn't think that people went that fancy the second time around either. Most of my friends just reused stuff that they already had and it was fine. Lexie Mae is an interesting name. As long as they like it. 

Lexi* , which in my opinion is worse. I used to babysit for a girl named Alexa, and we called her Lexi as a nickname. But we've all talked about the Bates kids having in some people's opinions "nicknames" as first, proper names, so I supposed it's not new (especially with Allie). Lexie and Allie would make more sense even, as their endings would be the same, but I guess they aren't going with a "theme". 

I notice in the video a toddler bed. Is that in preparation for one the new baby is ready for that? It seems like this is in fact a different room than Allie's and they wouldn't be sharing.

Yeah, that makes sense. Was confused because I saw the Lexi Mae banner, but not the Allie Jane one. Also, if I could rely on these fundies to have proper grammar, I would have taken "my  new girls nursey" at face value and realized that. But I wouldn't put it past them to say "new girls" instead of "new girl's". 

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It has the Ellie Mae ring to it. 

At least Ellie Mae sounds like the name of a sweet old lady. Lexie Mae it's just the stripper with a leopard bra

I feel like I could forgive Lexi if it was spelled Lexie. Allie is spelled with an -i.e. At the end. But it doesn't pass the judge test for me. Judge Lexi Mae presiding ...

54 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

At least Ellie Mae sounds like the name of a sweet old lady. Lexie Mae it's just the stripper with a leopard bra

This. So much this. I guess they don't realize that, being so sheltered and all, but if they enter the "real world," I think they'll be in for a bit of a shock when they realize what kind of name they gave their daughter.

I just thought that if they were doing Allie with an E that it would be Lexie with an E. I don't get it. 

Holy headbands, Alyssa! 

I guess I don't understand this, as I only have boys - but why all the headbands on babies?  I know that as a woman who has worn my share of headbands/barrettes/ponytails from childhood on up - or at least from an age where I was old enough to be verbal about them killing my head - that those suckers HURT after a while.  No matter how loose you think they are, they always end up uncomfortable.  I've gotten some massive headaches in my day, so wouldn't it do the same to a baby's head? 

Just honestly asking, so please go easy on me... 

Holy Headbands!.jpg

The headbands are both a style thing (clearly important to Alyssa) as well as a gender role thing. If the baby is in a headband, it's automatically recognized as a female baby. You have to start them out from infancy knowing their exact role in life and so on. 

I had a headband for the first year of my life since it was apparently very hard to tell myself apart from my twin brother, but it was a million times smaller.

But I just had one, and I guess I was pretty chill with it for my first year of life! Also one of my small pet peeves is when children have not nicknames instead of full names.

4 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

How come Alyssa and John don't get their own thread like all the other couples?

I think they have in the past, but Alyssa went off social media for awhile. She only recently came back so for a few months there wasn't much in the way of new material there. 

45 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Lexi Mae? Thats a horrible name. Alexa would have been gentler.

But Alexa and Allie would be too close I guess.

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

But Alexa and Allie would be too close I guess.

Allie and Alyssa are pretty close. They wouldn't have to call her Alexa, but giving her the option would have been nice. 

In terms of the name, I chalk it up to Alyssa being very young. I remember when 4 of us (myself and 3 SILs) were all PG at the same time. One SIL was 22 @ the time and she had picked out a rather made-up name in the event that she had a female child (this was in the 80s before the days of routine US for sex determination). Anyhow, she had a boy, so the name was not used. Fast forward 12 years when she had her second child, a girl, she named her Grace. 

By the time Alyssa gets to #6, the name choice may be a bit more classic.

ETA- Not saying "Lexi" is a made up name.

57 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In terms of the name, I chalk it up to Alyssa being very young. I remember when 4 of us (myself and 3 SILs) were all PG at the same time. One SIL was 22 @ the time and she had picked out a rather made-up name in the event that she had a female child (this was in the 80s before the days of routine US for sex determination). Anyhow, she had a boy, so the name was not used. Fast forward 12 years when she had her second child, a girl, she named her Grace. 

By the time Alyssa gets to #6, the name choice may be a bit more classic.

ETA- Not saying "Lexi" is a made up name.

That reminds me of health class in junior high, listening to some of the names that girls came up with. Our teacher smiled because I think she knew we'd out grow it. Some of those girls now have girls of their own and "Catherine" and "Sarah" are very common. Not whatever they were at the time. 

I don't think Alyssa is too far over junior high/high school maturity level. 

That and -ie and -i names seem to be more and more common for girls these days. Friend of mine has Kenzie and Kaylee. On one hand, they could be so much worse - but the thing that bugs me is that they're such cutesy little girl nicknames - not gonna be a good for an adult woman. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived