IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part Nine: And Baby Makes Four

FundieFarmer

In re: baby names

Spurgeon has always reminded me of Sturgeon, so how about another misspelled fish/caviar-related name?

Kod

Saymon

Kaviar

Ro

Clarp

Troup

Belugan

Sterlen

Osset

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, louisa05 said:

My mother suggested that, given the level to which the Duggar kids were sheltered, perhaps Derick has acquired a box of condoms and lied to Jill about what they are/what they do. 

"Derick's using this thing, but we still have no babies!"
lol

20 hours ago, twinmama said:

Mine are the same age, but I'd imagine a toddler and a newborn is like having a full time job that already takes up your entire work day. Then someone dumps a second full time job you have to incorporate into your workflow. 

This reminds me of a Jim Gaffigan joke: 

You know what it's like having a fourth kid? Imagine you're drowning, then someone hands you a baby.

I don't have kids, but many people in my massive family (non-fundie, just Roman Catholic!) have confirmed this, sometimes after only 2!

3 minutes ago, freethemall said:

In re: baby names

Spurgeon has always reminded me of Sturgeon, so how about another misspelled fish/caviar-related name?

Kod

Saymon

Kaviar

Ro

Clarp

Troup

Belugan

Sterlen

Osset

Saymon. Sounds like Speshull spelling of Simon. Be careful though. Sienna may use it.:dance:

10 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My mother suggested that, given the level to which the Duggar kids were sheltered, perhaps Derick has acquired a box of condoms and lied to Jill about what they are/what they do. 

"Ribbed for her pleasure" -> "Hey hon, these will make sex feel even better!"

51 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

Jill was extremely cavalier about Israel's delivery. Her direct quote from People after the birth special aired:

As if she would be able to tell exactly when that situation became an "emergency" :pb_rollseyes:

http://www.people.com/article/19-kids-counting-jills-special-delivery-recap-israel-david-dillard-born

Of course overall she's an idiot for the whole thing. I wonder if she trained to be a midwife at the local McDonald's. She has about as much knowledge about delivering babies as your average teenage cashier. 

53 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

Jill was extremely cavalier about Israel's delivery. Her direct quote from People after the birth special aired:

As if she would be able to tell exactly when that situation became an "emergency" :pb_rollseyes:

http://www.people.com/article/19-kids-counting-jills-special-delivery-recap-israel-david-dillard-born

Trying to rid a newborn babies lungs of meconium is not an easy job. Had a friend years ago whose first baby spent a week in Nicu.

It was a horrible situation and can mean death for a newborn.

Thankfully  a good outcome and child now in his 20s.

2 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

That boy's going to wake up in a few years time and be a father of 4+ if he's not careful. Only 2 years ago he was a horny teenager.

IDK but always got the feeling that what Jessa wants, Jessa gets and she picked someone who would be malleable, never mind the whole "husband as headship" business.    Might work great for Jessa to have someone who not challenge her and do her bidding, but Ben's gonna get railroaded into a life he really doesn't want, nor ever wanted.   If he's not happy now, it's not going to get better.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Like other 19 year olds, Ben wanted to have sex. I doubt he wanted an instant family. But that's what he has to deal with in order to get regular sex....

Agree that Ben was your typical horny 19 year old besotted by the beautiful, pouty Jessa.     I guess he didn't give much thought to the fact that he was marrying into this huge family that eschewed birth control because Jebus, the large family being proof of that belief,  plus the daughters are raised to believe same so therefore becoming a dad shortly after being married would be a pretty likely possibility.   Ya think?  

He obviously didn't think this one through.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I was a long time NICU nurse before I had kids...and I had worked with my then pediatrician during her training. She did make me bring my son into her office twice during the first 10 days for weight checks (he was gaining) and "suggested" that I could wake him during the night. I was honest with her and said that in light of his weight gain and apparent good health, I would not be waking him for night feedings. He is a totally healthy 5'-11" man who will be 26 on Sunday :)

Waking a sleeping baby to feed it seems like insanity to me. 

18 minutes ago, jacduggar said:

Of course overall she's an idiot for the whole thing. I wonder if she trained to be a midwife at the local McDonald's. She has about as much knowledge about delivering babies as your average teenage cashier. 

Considering her so-called midwife training, she took some really stupid risks with Israel's birth.     Perhaps substandard training but it also might have been "I am a midwife, so I know" type of arrogance, and she took it too far.  

I know the show last night was about the women taking charge and doing what would traditionally be considered male jobs, installing safety devices, but why the hell didn't Ben have to watch the 3 kids (S1 and M3-4) while the girls went to the hardware store?????  So the women drug the kids to the store and installed the safety devices???? What was Ben doing? Shouldn't BOTH parents be involved and helpful??? I guess they did show Ben scrambling some eggs. These people make me sick.

7 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Considering her so-called midwife training, she took some really stupid risks with Israel's birth.     Perhaps substandard training but it also might have been "I am a midwife, so I know" type of arrogance, and she took it too far.  

I think she was "trained" just enough to think she knows everything, when in reality someone with 100 x more knowledge would know they don't know enough to cope with an emergency.

What you're left with is someone who is very, very dangerous.

21 hours ago, bella8050 said:

So Spurge will have a buddy to sleep on the couch with, how exciting for him.  My first thought is what I've seen expressed here many times - go to a hospital this time Jessa, please.

Also imagining all the fun ahead for the show involving everyone's favorite party planner. Jinger's bridal shower plus another baby shower for Jessa, how will Sierra handle the pressure? What completely non fabricated disasters will happen this time? Will her best friend Joy be able to save the day? Can't wait to tune in and find out!

Maybe this will be it.  Maybe this will be what finally triggers Sierra's laundry room break down!! I have been waiting.... lol

3 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

@VelociRapture

OT but I'm in love with that change in your wording between yesterday and today. Yesterday it was a baby, now it is a daughter. So beautiful! 

Me too. Finding out last night was ridiculously exciting. My husband and I couldn't stop grinning the entire appointment. We can't wait to meet her! :pb_biggrin:

I do wonder, if they have, for example, 3 boys, and move to Laredo away from sister-aunt-moms, if that will slow them down?  The Duggars/Bateseses/Rodriguii etc all lucked out having runs of girls to sister-mom their siblings, but I always wonder about the Arndts, because how do people combine mega families, with the strict "women's work" gender rules?  Or does that go out of the window?    So that's a second reason to hope it's another boy!

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Me too. Finding out last night was ridiculously exciting. My husband and I couldn't stop grinning the entire appointment. We can't wait to meet her! :pb_biggrin:

Congratulations!! :D Girls are awesome.

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Reading your post made me smile. Congratulations to you both and Velocidaughter

46 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Congratulations! How exciting :D

46 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I do wonder, if they have, for example, 3 boys, and move to Laredo away from sister-aunt-moms, if that will slow them down?  The Duggars/Bateseses/Rodriguii etc all lucked out having runs of girls to sister-mom their siblings, but I always wonder about the Arndts, because how do people combine mega families, with the strict "women's work" gender rules?  Or does that go out of the window?    So that's a second reason to hope it's another boy!

I suspect the gender roles probably fall by the wayside a little bit. If you consider the Duggars, for instance, Josh used to be a buddy for some of his siblings when he was in his early teens, and I assume JD was as well.

24 minutes ago, Jessie E said:

Maybe this will be it.  Maybe this will be what finally triggers Sierra's laundry room break down!! I have been waiting.... lol

I personally think Sierra is trying to get pregnant again 

My first was a horrible sleeper. Many times, I put him in his crib and went and sat on the patio for 5-10 minutes while he screamed. Hubby worked nights and took over on his days off, but the bulk of the care fell to me. I have never in my life felt so ragey and hopeless. Eventually it passed, tho not soon enough for me.

Then came the second. And I thought the first was bad! Not only did this one scream all the damn time, but he threw up everything, and I mean everything I fed him. At 6 weeks he was in the hospital being tested and lo and behold he had GE Reflux and his esophagus was literally being burned by his stomach acid. He had lesions all up and down his esophagus. He also had chronic pneumonia. After 1 week of hospitalization and testing he was taken to surgery.  I had a new child after that! He finally slept and ate like a normal child. He is a healthy 30 year old today except it is impossible for him to throw up.

In case anyone is interested. This is the surgery he had:

http://pedsurg.ucsf.edu/conditions--procedures/fundoplication.aspx

4 hours ago, nst said:

she clearly will be more at the TTH - the pictures now of her at TTH show her there constantly - so she is not fooling anyone saying she does it all alone. 

Ben leaves for work - you think she actually stays home and cleans - last night she even said oh look dust. 

Well, I can't say I blame her on the dusting. Dusting seems like such a pointless task to me. Especially if you have a kid or pet running around. :)

4 hours ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

I am very relieved that they are not adopting. I was concerned for their children both bio and adopted. As an adopted woman, I was adopted at 6 days old, but you know there is something always different. I don't imagine the Duggars would be blind to biology and their "own." Often people will adopt a child and then have 1 or some of their own. Perhaps visa versa as well but  I rarely see this working out in the real world. I was an only adopted child and I not only saw this in my home, no bio children, however, it takes a lot of acceptance to the child like their biological ones. 

I am an advocate for adoption but the child is the first priority and the parents have to have the wisdom to help them (us) feel like we are not second class citizens.:confused2:   

All the Duggar girls carry that twin gene. My family is full of them including my mother so....I worry about # 2 becoming #2 and #3. I think we will be seeing twins from this 9 daughters I am guessing 15-20 sets in the "counting on generation!!!!" Jana to Josie.:56247953c05d2_32(6): I think we should be preparing for double up announcements.

I don't think there's a "twin gene," is there? I do know that if female blood relatives (especially mother or grandmother) had fraternal twins, you may be more prone to hyper-ovulation. 

3 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

I had good sleepers and they would sleep through at three weeks or less. I thought I was either lucky or I was doing a good job (or had double cream in my boobs as a friend suggested) . But now I am being told babies are not supposed to sleep through at that age and I starved them and should have woken them up. Still I am kind of glad I did not know that at the time! I enjoyed my sleep and my kids were/are fine.

I think it really depends on the doctor as far as what they recommend these days. I remember mine said we could stop waking to feed once he was back up to his birth weight or something like that. (This wasn't that long ago....2013.)  Obviously if he woke and wanted to be fed then we fed him. But if he slept...we let him sleep.

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I will always say to a new mom, if you need a few minutes to collect yourself place the baby somewhere safe and take a few minutes to help yourself. 

Before we left the hospital we were required to watch a couple videos. And one of them said to do exactly that. If you are starting to lose it, basically, they said to put the baby in a safe place like a crib or playpen and step outside or wherever.

2 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

Reading that again makes me angry all over again. The fact that she didn't take fetal distress seriously (even if it was "mild") is disgusting to me. The birth "experience" seemed to trump the health of the baby. So jacked up!

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm due with a daughter early next year. Spare me if she turns out to be a great sleeper from the start? Please? :pb_lol:

As long as you aren't smug about it...I think it's fine. :)  There are some mothers who get smug if they have an "easy" baby and they act like it was something they specifically did that made the baby so good. When in reality...it's all down to luck, at that age specifically.  My son cried for hours on end and had reflux. It had nothing to do with my parenting.

Mine both slept through the night around 2 months, and if anyone had suggested waking them to eat, I would have probably punched them

In boy families what is "boy" work and "girl" work probably would change. Boys can clean toilets and do laundry. Cooking is probably less likely and sewing is girls-only but those two things need less hands. Not all of the Duggar/Bates girls cook and it appears that just the oldest girl has taken on all sewing duties in both cases.

As for Ben not realizing how many kids he'd have he is one of 7 and his parents had him at 20 years old. His parents didn't use BC but may not have tried to have as many as possible. That said, if he was thinking at all he would have known he'd have kids fast and quite a few of them. 'Normal' fertility when not on BC is 8 kids or so ... they are usually closer together at the beginning and then space out unless you are super fertile and/or track cycles to conceive like DQ/Bates. 

It's likely that Zika is the reason Jill is unhappy. She can't go outside AND she shouldn't get pregnant but still could. Derick has shown questionable judgement but I think he is smart enough to know that religion isn't going to save them from Zika. Jill probably doesn't get it but will follow her headship as that is how she was trained. She may be conflicted between doing what Jesus says (procreating) and what her headship is saying (trying not to). It could be pretty confusing actually.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived