IGNORED

Pick A Reason Kelly Bates Is A LOUSY Mother

nelliebelle1197

On 9/26/2016 at 9:21 AM, BeccaGrim said:

The Maxwells scare me the most.  I don't know why.  Just...gut reaction. But they are scary to me. 

They scare me too. Mostly because Steven Maxwell gives me Papa Pilgrim vibes. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

What is up with everyone wanting give their girl children the middle name Elizabeth? My parents pinned that on me along with an 8 letter first name and an 11 letter last name. I swear my name was longer than I was at birth (35 weeker, barely 6lbs and not quite 18" long). When I got my driver's license...in VA they put your WHOLE name on it and it ended up taking 2 lines. Thank God my dad filled out my birth certificate. If my mother had had her way, my name would have been even longer. 

Name those kids with short names...not long ones and not ethnic ones. My maiden name is VERY ethnic and ALWAYS mispronounced. 

Kid #1 - First and middle name...13 letters

Kid #2 - 9 letters total

Kid #3 - 12 letters total

Me? Grand total of 28 letters. 

My little sister has a three-syllable first name, TWO four-syllable middle names, and a two-syllable surname, for a grand total of 32 characters.

The reason for the two middle names is that my parents told my older sister and me that we could choose the baby's middle name. After listening to us argue for a while, Dad broke in with, "Fine, the baby can have two middle names". (which just got us arguing over which name came FIRST). So my poor wee sister has a name so long she only gets one of her middle names on most documents, because she can't fit both in the boxes given for middle name.

FTR, she likes the name I chose better :P

My mum's middle name is Elizabeth and I wanted that for my daughter as well.  However since I wanted to keep the peace with my MIL, she also has her middle name, Ann. Plus a three syllable five letter first name. Our surname is only one syllable, six letters, though.  23 letters total.   Only the first middle initial is on DDs Medicare and bank ATM card though, which annoys her.

I think Elizabeth is popular as a middle name because 100 years ago there was a much smaller choice of names and  so if you're looking for a family name it'll be on the short list.  Same with James for a boy.

If my mother had had her way, my name would have been Carolina Isabella Maria Segrera Morell R(ethnic German name). My mother's siblings had no children, so I was the end of the Segrera and Morell lines. 

It's bad enough it's Caroline Elizabeth (ethnic maiden name) (generic gringo married name)

10 hours ago, Karma said:

My mum's middle name is Elizabeth and I wanted that for my daughter as well.  However since I wanted to keep the peace with my MIL, she also has her middle name, Ann. Plus a three syllable five letter first name. Our surname is only one syllable, six letters, though.  23 letters total.   Only the first middle initial is on DDs Medicare and bank ATM card though, which annoys her.

I think Elizabeth is popular as a middle name because 100 years ago there was a much smaller choice of names and  so if you're looking for a family name it'll be on the short list.  Same with James for a boy.

There are FIVE people in Mr Alba's family with James as either a first or middle name, including his grandfather, who passed away a couple of years ago. If Mr Alba and I ever had a son, I know what his middle name would be :P (I also know if we ever had a daughter, either her middle name would be my late sister's first name, or her first name would be a variation on my sister's middle name, which is one of those names like Elizabeth or Katherine that has a number of different variants).

12 hours ago, Karma said:

Good choice!  I have 2 middle names, Elizabeth Ann.  I gave my daughter my first middle name of Elizabeth also.  And one of my sons has the middle name James after my granddather. :) 

@Malizabeth, I wanted Elizabeth Ann so my mum's name was first, but since my then SIL (now crazy ex-SIL) is called that, I deliberately reversed them so as to minimise any similarity.  I made it VERY clear to her that DD was being named after her grandmothers.

I think some names are common as middle names simply because they are easy to combine with other names. Someone mentioned James, I would say that is one of them. In my family it is Nils, it is common name in the family but pretty rare as a first name, almost always as a middle name.

In my part of the world ( western Europe) u get a first name, followed by the first names of your godfather/godmother then your lastname . It's tradition .

My married last name has the same number of letters as my maiden last name.

Myself, husband, and oldest son all have 17 letters in our names. Our youngest son had 18 letters. His first name has one more letter than his brother, and they have the same middle name. And last name, of course, lol. :P

On October 9, 2016 at 10:19 AM, ven said:

In my part of the world ( western Europe) u get a first name, followed by the first names of your godfather/godmother then your lastname . It's tradition .

Then I would be Margaret Carol. I wouldn't mind that. I miss my Aunt Carol :( she died very suddenly in her sleep when I was in highschool.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

More evidence Kelly was a horrible teacher. To quote Alyssa: "I don't know what side they're on!" 

Alyssa.PNG

:pb_eek: That's kind of terrifying. I would be upset if a third grader didn't know that.

For fuck's sake if you realize you don't know basic stuff like that, why would you think you are qualified to home school?

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

:pb_eek: That's kind of terrifying. I would be upset if a third grader didn't know that.

For fuck's sake if you realize you don't know basic stuff like that, why would you think you are qualified to home school?

I know some people have trouble remembering east vs West, but it's putting east and north on opposite sides that really gets me. 

44 minutes ago, Arix said:

I know some people have trouble remembering east vs West, but it's putting east and north on opposite sides that really gets me. 

Hahaha. Yep. Alyssa gets no passes for that, either. She's an adult and a mother... if she doesn't know something by now she needs to take it upon herself and learn.

Here in Australia, we have a breakfast cereal called 'Weetbix' - no, not Wheatbix, but Weetbix. So a common acronym taught in schools is Never Eat Soggy Weetbix.

I remember learning that it spells 'we', so west is left and east is right. But, holy crap, everyone knows north is 'up'!!  This had to be a joke?

On 10/9/2016 at 8:19 AM, ven said:

In my part of the world ( western Europe) you get a first name, followed by the first names of your godfather/godmother then your lastname . It's tradition .

Just curious...are godfathers and godmothers ever chosen, or not chosen, because of their names?  What if the desired godparent has the same name as the kid who kept beating you up in elementary school?

5 hours ago, Fascinated said:

I remember learning that it spells 'we', so west is left and east is right. But, holy crap, everyone knows north is 'up'!!  This had to be a joke?

She's trying to signal east the direction tho, so I feel like pointing it up isn't ergerous

6 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Hahaha. Yep. Alyssa gets no passes for that, either. She's an adult and a mother... if she doesn't know something by now she needs to take it upon herself and learn.

Here in Australia, we have a breakfast cereal called 'Weetbix' - no, not Wheatbix, but Weetbix. So a common acronym taught in schools is Never Eat Soggy Weetbix.

We learned it by Never Eat Shredded Wheat! 

19 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

We learned it by Never Eat Shredded Wheat! 

Same, and I still say it to myself sometimes to check, in the same way I look at my hand to check which makes an L for left with my thumb at 90º!

On 10/22/2016 at 3:37 PM, Dandruff said:

Just curious...are godfathers and godmothers ever chosen, or not chosen, because of their names?  What if the desired godparent has the same name as the kid who kept beating you up in elementary school?

Yes godmothers and fathers are picked by the couple, one from each side of the family or close friends ( traditionally it should be family though )  , they play a special role also, they need to give child extra attention and in some cases are considered to take up the role as " parent" when  the parents die or become unable to Care for the child. They are there when the baby is baptised and have to pledge before  god they will take care of the child in a spiritual way and when it is in need , it is considered an big honour. Parents ask specific people for this honour , but you can decline if you are not up to the task , but nobody declines typically . They are not really picked for their names but more because you want a good friend or family member to play a special role in your child's life 

Alyssa, it is a shame you're bringing children into the world that will most likely be home schooled...

Naughty Elephants Squirt Water - of course you still had to remember to go clockwise and then work out which way was clockwise, so I never quite understood how the mnemonic helped, but I obviously learnt it anyway.

I bet one of the Bates boys would know how to do it, because I'm sure its covered in practical skills such as map reading and in places like Alert and other man camps.

Easy peasy in Norwegian - West (vest) is on the left (venstre). You just have to remember the difference between right and left :P

A little late, but I'm just skimming through this thread and I'm curious- someone upthread said Michael's middle name is Christian? Or was that a typo and it's supposed to be Christina?

Archived