IGNORED

Nathan 3: "She loves me, she loves me not, she loves . . . "

SpoonfulOSugar

We learnt chair dancing which was pretty bizarre as it was all a little suggestive! Thankfully we were an all girls school so I guess it could have been worse I guess. This was in year 8 or 9  and the teacher was far too enthusiastic about it. :my_dodgy: Luckily we only had one or two lessons on it.

We had dancing for one segment of PE every year. We did some ballroom dancing, some traditional Austrian dances but mainly lots of Irish set dances. All girls school so taller girls were boys for dancing.

One year we did line dancing. I refused to participate after the first 2 sessions because I thought it was utterly pointless. Still not a fan. Also still not sure how I got away with not doing it!

• Upvote 1

Did anyone else have to learn the Cotton-Eyed Joe? Because I feel like that was the most important line dance to learn for high school for me. Every single school dance from Prom to Sadie Hawkins featured the Cotton-Eyed Joe and if you didn't participate you weren't cool. We even did at at state conventions (like for student council or FFA).  I've since had to do it at weddings, because all my friends are the silliest kind of rednecks, apparently. 

• Upvote 14

We had to learn traditional Scottish dances in primary 6 and 7 but it was for a proper dance we had at the end of the year called the Qually dance. We learned the Dashing White Sergeant, Strip the Willows and others like it. It was actually really good fun and after all the trad dances were finished we had a disco. 

• Upvote 2

About Cotton Eye Joe...the song dates back to to the pre-Civil War era, and uses racial slurs. The 1994 version by Rednex is about an STD. The video is a hot mess and offensive to modern day southern rednecks.

• Upvote 4

I don't want to derail this musical discussion.... But I totally do because the songs are getting stuck in my head.

Has anyone else seen that Nathan and Ashley are likely both in Cincinnati right now? The Bates Instagram posted a picture of Nathan and Meema in the same spot where Ashley posted a picture with her sister and cousin yesterday. They seem to be dressed nicely. Hmm...

1 hour ago, SunnySideUp said:

I don't want to derail this musical discussion.... But I totally do because the songs are getting stuck in my head.

Has anyone else seen that Nathan and Ashley are likely both in Cincinnati right now? The Bates Instagram posted a picture of Nathan and Meema in the same spot where Ashley posted a picture with her sister and cousin yesterday. They seem to be dressed nicely. Hmm...

They are fundie so I guess they have selective things they can go and are bound to run into one another.

I think I see meema's shadow in Ashley's pic. :-(

Edited by sunshine

Why are they in Cincinnati? I am in Cincinnati. It would weird me out to run into them, I think.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Why are they in Cincinnati? I am in Cincinnati. It would weird me out to run into them, I think.

Conference and to see the Ark.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I'd say it's definitely not a coincidence. Kelly posted on one of the girls pictures that she had really wanted to come on this road trip, so I'd say it was planned that they'd be there at the same time...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sunshine said:

Conference and to see the Ark.

I forget about that Ark, around an hour south of here.

They should go to the National Underground Railroad Museum, instead, then have a nice bowl of pho at Findlay Market. :my_smile:

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, backyard sylph said:

They should go to the National Underground Railroad Museum, instead, then have a nice bowl of pho at Findlay Market. :my_smile:

Though I am not a fan of the Ark, I wish I could be there right now. I am at work on a Saturday. UGH

Edited by sunshine
forgot a word two

7 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Though I am not a fan of the Ark, I wish I could right now. I am at work on a Saturday. UGH

I'm on a fairly strict economy plan at the moment, so that would not be a good use of my personal resources. But if they're at the Springdale Costco today for some reason while I'm spending the annual rebate check, well, yay. And if they got caught in some heavy rain during that time...but I digress.

I certainly do look forward to hearing of their rewarding time experiencing the Genesis Vision. :pb_rollseyes::pb_lol:

• Upvote 2

On 8/12/2016 at 11:49 AM, RosyDaisy said:

I'm very hot natured. I refuse to wear slips and pantyhose. I find them uncomfortable and miserable.

You are indeed my sister. My pantyhose has probably dry rotted in the drawer. Can't remember when I last wore either. I have a half slip, I think, buried somewhere. 

• Upvote 3

On August 20, 2016 at 8:45 AM, backyard sylph said:

If I was in Cincy, I'd have a nice bowl of Cincinnati chili.  Yep, 5 way FTW!

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

I've been here only five years, and I find it sort of an appalling food. HOWEVER, I take great enjoyment at last, in how much it seems to please people. And they take such pride in it, it's kind of sweet. :-)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

How can you eat that chilli? I grew up over the Ohio border and the Nati style of chilli would be a very cruel and unusual punishment if I ever had to eat again. 

• Upvote 2

On August 15, 2016 at 8:30 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm dating myself here, but in sixth grade (middle school), we not only had to do a square dance segment, but also one on The Hustle. A group of unhappy, uncoordinated sixth graders in tacky gym uniforms trying to do The Hustle.... Thank heavens there were no camera phones, You Tube, or Snapchat then!

Uh oh -- did we go to the same school? Square dancing, the Hustle and something called the Amos Moses. No gym uniforms though!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kjmackin said:

How can you eat that chilli? I grew up over the Ohio border and the Nati style of chilli would be a very cruel and unusual punishment if I ever had to eat again. 

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, kjmackin said:

Many people here seem to like it so much, it's nice to see them take pleasure in it. They have their favorite places for it, and favorite configurations. It's part of a group identity.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Pandora Spocks said:

Uh oh -- did we go to the same school? Square dancing, the Hustle and something called the Amos Moses. No gym uniforms though!

Oh my, I forgot about Amos Moses. Memories....

On 17/08/2016 at 7:49 PM, caszandra said:

We had to learn traditional Scottish dances in primary 6 and 7 but it was for a proper dance we had at the end of the year called the Qually dance. We learned the Dashing White Sergeant, Strip the Willows and others like it. It was actually really good fun and after all the trad dances were finished we had a disco. 

I'm always envious of all my Scottish friends for getting to do ceilidh dancing in PE. My PE classes were all team sports where no one passed the ball to me because I was rubbish at it :P

Of course, Mr Alba did ceilidh dancing in PE and then refused to do any dancing at all at our wedding, so it's maybe much more fun if you don't start till university.

• Upvote 3

@alba, not all schools done it, I think my primary was the only one in our area that did. I had a ceilidh at my wedding reception and it was a lot of fun.

• Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic