Spoiler

giphy_1.gif

Spoiler

giphy_2.gif

Edited by Coconut Flan
Spoiler for animated gifs.
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Bgirl said:

Now it's starting to look fishy. I think something is going on. Does anyone get the sense that Ashley may have ended the courtship?

I most definitely think she ended the courtship. From the things she said on the show, she seemed very in touch with her feelings and not at all willing to settle. I think they had some very big personality differences, and realised that they may not bode well in a serious relationship.
A large part of this came across in the way Nathan wanted to change things about Ashley. She is very outgoing and more independent than he probably was used to being from a traditional, Southern family.

• Upvote 18

7 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

She is very outgoing and more independent than he probably was used to being from a traditional, Southern family.

What? Women being introverted and dependent isn't a Southern tradition. Do not put the Bates beliefs down as something the whole South does. More likely is that Nathan was told he would get a pretty wife who would change and do whatever he wants just because he has a penis. 

Ashley reminds me of Elizabeth Muncks(spelling?) who was fundie, but had personality, knew what she wanted in life and luckily realized she would never conform Maxwell rules, so she bolted. Ashley knows what she wants in life and it isn't letting Nathan mold her into his ideal woman. 

• Upvote 23

I hope that they aren't back together. I think that both Nathan and Ashley will end up completely miserable, if they get married. They both want completely different things. 

• Upvote 20

I thought it was telling that Mimi/Noemi (Ashley's older, married, sister) posted on a Staddon Instagram that her SISTERS were going to attend Big Sandy Family Camp--not her FAMILY, just her SISTERS.  That really sounds like an Ashley +  sister as chaperone situation.

• Upvote 8

I did like the idea of Nathan and Ashley together originally, but in reality I just don't have a good feeling about them anymore. I'm worried that God "laid it on her heart" to change the "unworthy" parts of herself so she could find a godly husband. We all remember her old journal trying to find contentment in a woman's place...They would have to do A LOT of compromising for both Ashley and Nathan to be happy, so I hope it wouldn't just be Ashley giving in!!!

• Upvote 16

What? Women being introverted and dependent isn't a Southern tradition. Do not put the Bates beliefs down as something the whole South does. More likely is that Nathan was told he would get a pretty wife who would change and do whatever he wants just because he has a penis.

Thank you! Southern families can be quite matriarchal. Mine is. Even in the Bates family, Kelly rules that roost.
  • Upvote 12

Several of Nathan's sisters also seem to be extremely outgoing. Maybe they're also very submissive, I don't know (I've never watched the show), but they're definitely not meek wallflowers.

• Upvote 12

I read the post as outgoing = liking city life over country. It still floors me to think of fundies in NYC (or any big city not in the south or with a IBLP center tbh)

• Upvote 8

I live about 30 minutes outside NYC. It would be very unusual to see a Fundie family in the city. However, because their are some large Orothodox jewish communities in Brooklyn some people may think they were Orothodox Jews unless it was a Saturday. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I read the post as outgoing = liking city life over country. It still floors me to think of fundies in NYC (or any big city not in the south or with a IBLP center tbh)

Even if she meant it that way, disliking cities isn't a traditional Southern thing. We do have large cities down here in the South!  :laughing-jumpingpurple: I wouldn't view the Bates as representing a traditional Southern family. 

Didn't the Duggars visit a fundie family in NYC? You would really be surprised where fundies live. When I was in ATI I met people from all over, most of the people I met weren't from the South and some were very much city people. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

that's exactly what my post intended to come across as.

because if you re-read my post against FG, her post only echos what mine says.

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Even if she meant it that way, disliking cities isn't a traditional Southern thing. We do have large cities down here in the South!  :laughing-jumpingpurple: I wouldn't view the Bates as representing a traditional Southern family. 

Didn't the Duggars visit a fundie family in NYC? You would really be surprised where fundies live. When I was in ATI I met people from all over, most of the people I met weren't from the South and some were very much city people. 

I'm not talking about other families. I'm talking about Nathan. He is very much a country boy, and Ashley is very much a city girl.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I know right!? Just said the same thing a few months ago. Hard to believe there are Gothard fundies in the Bronx.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

that's exactly what my post intended to come across as.

You said he is used to coming from a traditional Southern family, so he wasn't used to outgoing, independent woman. Even if you meant outgoing and independent as meaning liking city life(how am I supposed to know that is your definition, since that isn't what those words mean?), none of that even slightly relates to coming from a traditional Southern family. 

She is very outgoing and more independent than he probably was used to being from a traditional, Southern family.

This is what I was responding to which absolutely doesn't say "She likes city life and he likes country life." I'm still not sure what you meant by "traditional, Southern family."

• Upvote 8

Traditional family who happens to live in the south... in their case, a country setting.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2017 at 8:26 PM, VBOY9977 said:

Has any one seen Ashely's instagram story she just posted?? She went hiking with Nathan and Josie, just the three of them. Could this mean that they're trying things out again?? I think it's definitely interesting that they just went with Josie cause that's a strong chance of chaperoning imo

what do you guys think?

NIKE! Josie showed shoulders. Other than that I think she was the chaperone and they're still together.

• Upvote 1

Nope, I'm not for this relationship. I feel the TN mountains will suck the life right out of her. I think Nathan is ok with visiting NY but not to live. Up state NY is pretty country and would probably be easier for him to adapt...but would Ashley be "ok" with living outside the city.

• Upvote 12

Hasn't Nathan been away from home most of this last year and been in a flying school, or something like that?

Maybe he has decided to leave the tree business and become a pilot or something.  Perhaps Ashley is more gun-ho about his new direction in life. 

• Upvote 5

The bates posted on instagram congratulating Nathan on getting his pilot instructor licence.

• Upvote 5

I know that there have been broken courtships in the past, have any of them gotten back together? 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Smash! said:

The bates posted on instagram congratulating Nathan on getting his pilot instructor licence.

Ashley posted a pic of her being with Nathan. Nathan graduated with his pilot license and expected to train other pilots. I  don't believe in coincidence and I am thinking that maybe the tree life was not for Ashley since Nathan likes to live on the edge.

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I know that there have been broken courtships in the past, have any of them gotten back together? 

So far, there have not been any Bates who have reconnected their boo or bae relationship. However, most of the Bates' relationships played off screen so who knows.

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

18 minutes ago, sunshine said:

So far, there have not been any Bates who have reconnected their boo or bae relationship. However, most of the Bates' relationships played off screen so who knows.

I could be wrong but I got the impression that Carm meant all the fundies we discuss, not just the Bates.  I don't know of any but maybe someone else does.  Wouldn't courting and then breaking it off and then courting again be too worldly? It would make it seem that they were not very marriage conscious entering the first courtship.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

I could be wrong but I got the impression that Carm meant all the fundies we discuss, not just the Bates.  I don't know of any but maybe someone else does.  Wouldn't courting and then breaking it off and then courting again be too worldly? It would make it seem that they were not very marriage conscious entering the first courtship.

I did mean in general. I know that only broken courtship on the Bates side was Zach and Sarah; we know how that turned out. I was just wondering if it would be a first. If so, how would that be addressed? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I did mean in general. I know that only broken courtship on the Bates side was Zach and Sarah; we know how that turned out. I was just wondering if it would be a first. If so, how would that be addressed? 

I would say no. (I am not an expert in all things fundie.)  Duggar's had a broken courtship and someone else mentioned that a blogger ex boyfriend has a new girl. I would like to believe that a tide is turning in courtships and people can call it off if they see that they are not into each other. I think before people married even though things did not feel right in the courtship but later divorce.

Reference: Observation.

• Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic