IGNORED

Miss Raquel's 2nd Novel - Part 4

samurai_sarah

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, clueliss said:

from one of the captions on the photos - her 'body journal.'???  what the heck?

She found a quote on Twitter from Johnny Depp saying his body is his journal and tattoos tell his story, so she is going to copy that and go around calling her body her journal. She thinks it makes her seem deep. It doesn't. 

I once had a roommate who came from a very small town and whose parents kept her super-sheltered.  When she moved to the city, she'd try so damned hard.  She would declare loudly in crowds that she was having sashimi - which is raw fish were you aware - for dinner, and when at  the Japanese restaurant would drop her nuggets of wisdom - (like, you know, sake is made from rice?  And sake needs to be drunk warm because that's how they do it in Japan).  She'd do this even to people who were East Asian or had lived in Japan.  It was painful to watch.  

Raquel is like my old roommate.  Her attempts to seem unique and charming just end up cringe-worthy, showing how little she knows about the world.

19 hours ago, formergothardite said:

How much do tattoos cost? Because last week she couldn't afford $27 she was so broke. She has terrible money management skills.  Not a mention of college, so I'm guessing she isn't really going. 

I don't know how much they are near her, but around me there's always a shop minimum, and the lowest I've ever seen is $40. I have a teeny one behind my ear that cost $40 - not because the work was that expensive, but because if you go to a reputable place, everything is either disposable or costs a fortune to send away for medical grade cleaning. That's not including tip, if she's smart enough to do that (which you should be - if you can tip your waitress to bring you a burger, tip the person who altered your body forever!), so we're looking minimum $80, and if she's smart, $100. Could be more. 

I used to spend a little bit of money on tattoos when I shouldn't have when I was younger, but then again I was working two jobs and putting myself through my undergrad and then masters program, so every once in a while, when I saved up, I didn't feel so bad rewarding myself for that hard work.

1 hour ago, kupcake said:

I used to spend a little bit of money on tattoos when I shouldn't have when I was younger, but then again I was working two jobs and putting myself through my undergrad and then masters program, so every once in a while, when I saved up, I didn't feel so bad rewarding myself for that hard work.

There's no reason not to save up to treat yourself once in a while. Raquel forgets the parts about "saving up" and "once in a while."

20 hours ago, formergothardite said:

How much do tattoos cost? Because last week she couldn't afford $27 she was so broke. She has terrible money management skills.  Not a mention of college, so I'm guessing she isn't really going. 

Excuse me, but I believe Miss Raquel has GOD personally manage her finances.  Are you saying that GOD sucks at money management??????

Because given the wastefulness of most religious groups, I would be inclined to agree.  

5 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Cheap, ugly tattoos.

I guess at the end of the day the tattooist has to give the client what they want. I wouldn't call them ugly, but I wish I didn't read what they were before I saw them because I am  sure it would take me a minute to figure out what they were. In a few years time it will just get harder and harder. I really think the trees look like a heart rate monitor reading. I feel bad for the tattooist. "I want a black and white mountain range that is tiny." Shading that would of been a disaster. It must of been impossible to deal with her.

11 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I guess at the end of the day the tattooist has to give the client what they want. I wouldn't call them ugly, but I wish I didn't read what they were before I saw them because I am  sure it would take me a minute to figure out what they were. In a few years time it will just get harder and harder. I really think the trees look like a heart rate monitor reading. I feel bad for the tattooist. "I want a black and white mountain range that is tiny." Shading that would of been a disaster. It must of been impossible to deal with her.

Yes exactly, why get something so small it's impossible to identify? So you have to explain it to people- the perfect excuse to talk about her favorite subject, herself!

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

Yes exactly, why get something so small it's impossible to identify? So you have to explain it to people- the perfect excuse to talk about her favorite subject, herself!

I felt a little defensive for the tattooist who was subjected to her ridiculous demands. 

That's not a flattering look for her ankles. The tattoos eh (for fuck's sake stop wasting money though) but the rolled up pants and short socks and low cut-off that makes her lower legs look completely straight just aren't working.  Now I want to take photos of my ankles in profile to see if they look funny.  

I think one problem with tattoos is people's bodies are not flat like paper.  You have to think about the contours of the place you are getting the tattoo and make sure the tattoo complements them.  

On August 31, 2016 at 5:15 PM, clueliss said:

from one of the captions on the photos - her 'body journal.'???  what the heck?

It's Raquel. You're surprised? 

she responded to an ask.fm question that went t Twitter this morning.  Apparently she starts at Warner Pacific 'later this month.' 

So she is going to college but she blogged about not going to college unless she wasn't going to college and then decided to go to college anyway. 

7 minutes ago, clueliss said:

she responded to an ask.fm question that went t Twitter this morning.  Apparently she starts at Warner Pacific 'later this month.' 

So she is going to college but she blogged about not going to college unless she wasn't going to college and then decided to go to college anyway. 

Which confuses me, because I checked their academic calendar. Classes started last week.

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Which confuses me, because I checked their academic calendar. Classes started last week.

Yeah, most colleges and universities are already well into their fall semester/quarter. Looks like Raquel is going to be a bit behind if she doesn't get her freshly tattooed ankles moving. :my_dodgy:

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

So where is the Russia tattoo?

Russia lovingly nestled, and stroked by large Russian hands.

3 hours ago, Loveday said:

Yeah, most colleges and universities are already well into their fall semester/quarter. Looks like Raquel is going to be a bit behind if she doesn't get her freshly tattooed ankles moving. :my_dodgy:

Oregon state schools and community colleges are on a quarter system and don't start back until the end of September.  Maybe shes going to community college?  Probably not,  but she does actually have time to register if that's the case. 

She claims to be going to Warner Pacific, and I looked at their academic calendar and can't find any classes or courses that start in a couple of weeks. I think she is not being completely honest. 

Actually, their calendar says ADP New Cohort Start Week (ADP = Adult Degree Program).  Looks like monthly start dates and there are campus and online course options.  She may not be lying.  (yes it pains me to defend her)

She could be doing that. I had looked at September since she had said later this month. This is their adult degree program.:

http://www.warnerpacific.edu/admissions/adult-degree-program/adp-faq/

She is probably going for an associates since she has no other college experience. My last two years in college I was in an adult degree program like this and it is hard. Really, really hard. If she makes it through, they will require her to take a class on managing her money, which she needs. But this is going to take a lot of hard work on her part and she is probably going to be in there with adults who aren't going to be wowed by how "cute" she is. 

When I saw the online options I could hear the wheels in her head grinding thinking - oh I don't have to go anywhere, I can do it anytime.  

Uhuh.  I work with people who are working full-time and seeking both bachelors and masters degrees.  Most of them go to a local college in the evenings.  But one is doing an online program.  Works full time, and is studying constantly.  It is not easy.  There is no time for cute, being coddled, etc.  There are papers to write, exams/quizzes to take and online participate that has to be done.  

I actually do want to see Raquel succeed but it will take actually being willing to mature and dropping living like she's in pinterest/instagram posts.

I really hope college does her a world of good and that she doesn't give up the second it becomes difficult. This might be the push she needs to grow up. 

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

She could be doing that. I had looked at September since she had said later this month. This is their adult degree program.:

http://www.warnerpacific.edu/admissions/adult-degree-program/adp-faq/

She is probably going for an associates since she has no other college experience. My last two years in college I was in an adult degree program like this and it is hard. Really, really hard. If she makes it through, they will require her to take a class on managing her money, which she needs. But this is going to take a lot of hard work on her part and she is probably going to be in there with adults who aren't going to be wowed by how "cute" she is. 

Seconding this on how hard it is.

I just completed a post-grad professional certificate program that is very similar to this.  It is exhausting.  I held a job during my entire undergrad career, but it was nothing like this.  

I hope Raquel succeeds, but honestly I don't see this being for her.  The accelerated pace and limited physical meetings come at the expense of hand-holding and learning being done in class.  The professor moves and the responsibility to keep up and make sure they are clear on the material is placed on the student.  You really have to be disciplined and self-aware to ensure you keep up and ask questions.  It is very easy to fall behind.  There is limited coddling.  

Generally these are programs designed for mature, driven students who are able to fend and advocate for themselves, can effectively time manage with limited guidelines, deadlines, and oversight, and can effectively evaluate and adjust their own learning experience/strategies.  I just don't see that being Raquel.  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived