IGNORED

Nathan (WAS) Courting Ashley (pt. 2)

SpoonfulOSugar

What if this isn't about the relationship but about money? What if someone wants their own contract or more money separate from the Bates Family? Just a random thought and sheer speculation.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I guess we should start a new thread that the courtship is over. Right? I don't know if it will be blended in with this thread.

No need for a new thread at this time. 

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

So, I guess we should start a new thread that the courtship is over. Right? I don't know if it will be blended in with this thread.

One of Josh Duggar's threads was called "still hiding" and remained that way until the next one, even though by then he had been seen selling cars. Plus, we don't even know if it's officially over yet. Signs seem to point to splitsville, but it could just be how they edited it?

On May 10, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Exjw2015deed said:

Not to perpetuate stereotypes about South Carolinians, I wonder if papa bill and mama Jane have a problem with interracial relationships. I'm multi cultured but my grandfather is a black man from North Carolina. He grew up during segregation and moved up north and became a business man. I know even though he would never actually state it, he definitely was apprehensive when my sister bought home a Jewish man.

Again, he never said it, but he definitely was not his warm usual self. I know people like myself hate the expression of someone "being a man from his time". I just wonder if papa bill or mama Jane would be open and happy for Nathan.

Just to add, Kelly's mother adopted two black children, and is from South Carolina as well. I know it is people not locations that make people have prejudices. From what I know papa bill was a judge and mama Jane a nurse, so I'm sure they have always been surrounded by all races.

Antonin Scalia was a Judge.....A supreme court judge......It may tell more than one thinks. I wonder if I can find his record..... Also what was he prior to being a Judge? Was he a lawyer or what? I would be interested in that.

I'm still not convinced that they broke up. That was filmed last winter...MAYBE early spring. Ashley traveled with the Bateseses from Big Sandy back to TN in late April. I remember pictures of her with the Bateses outside of Atlanta on Bates IG pages.  Would she do this if they were no longer a couple? 

They may have broken up SINCE then (her IG is all about her friends and family, no Bateseseses at all), but I'm pretty confident that they may have hit a bump in the road that was later resolved. But I think that promo is a much ado about nothing promo. Bait and switch...whatever you want to call it, it got our interest, so it worked! 

12 minutes ago, marmalade said:

I'm still not convinced that they broke up. That was filmed last winter...MAYBE early spring. Ashley traveled with the Bateseses from Big Sandy back to TN in late April. I remember pictures of her with the Bateses outside of Atlanta on Bates IG pages.  Would she do this if they were no longer a couple? 

They may have broken up SINCE then (her IG is all about her friends and family, no Bateseseses at all), but I'm pretty confident that they may have hit a bump in the road that was later resolved. But I think that promo is a much ado about nothing promo. Bait and switch...whatever you want to call it, it got our interest, so it worked! 

Alternate theory: Maybe they did break up later on, but instead of airing stuff that was filmed for storylines, maybe they want to spare them both the pain so they staged breakup scenes now to air into an earlier timeline? It wouldn't really surprise me if they did some kind of sneaky shit like that.

I dunno. They were wearing sweaters (ie winter clothes) in the scene. But like I said, it's entirely possible that they broke up after Gothard Camp. However, the show is still back in February, but anyone who has watched a lick of reality TV knows how they screw with timelines to make a plotline work. And to make this theory plausible, they would have had to get Nate and Ash back together  sometime this spring and tape a scene in winter wear. 

On June 17, 2016 at 9:48 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

This makes me wonder about Nathan's ability to compromise.  It's very clear that Ashley can't live in the hills of TN, and needs a little more 'civilization.'

Would Nathan compromise and move to the outskirts of a TN city?

Hell no! He's the man. He doesn't need to compromise. 

On June 17, 2016 at 10:03 PM, sndral said:

Well UP had opposite teases - the comment by Nathan that he could be married by next Christmas (or something like that) and then the dinner conversation @ the restaurant w/ Gill and Kelly about troubles in the relationship.

It could be a clever way to build suspense & it's worked to at least pique the curiosity of even non fans like myself.

Or, when 'I love you day' was filmed in Feb. Nathan and Ashley were going strong but then things fell apart and UP filmed the 'serious conversation w/ Gill/Kelly' at the restaurant more recently & post break up and inserted it into the 'I love you' episode as a way to soften the soon to be announced broken courtship. Kelly's effusive adoration of Ashley post could have been her way of thanking her for playing her part in the lie.

Time will tell.

Ugh!

On June 24, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Audrey2 said:

Here is my take on the whole Lawson/Jinger thing. I think Lawson really liked her, but wasn't ready to marry yet. We know the Duggars tend to have a much shorter timeline for courtship than the Bates's have. I think Jinger wanted out of the house, especially since Jessa is now seen as a grown woman, so she turned her attention  to a man who will get her out of the house.

I really don't think any Bateseses and Duggars have liked each other or are likely to. They're too close. Practically like cousins. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

Antonin Scalia was a Judge.....A supreme court judge......It may tell more than one thinks. I wonder if I can find his record..... Also what was he prior to being a Judge? Was he a lawyer or what? I would be interested in that.

Are you trying to be a wise ass? 

8 hours ago, amendgitan said:

Hell no! He's the man. He doesn't need to compromise. 

Ugh!

I really don't think any Bateseses and Duggars have liked each other or are likely to. They're too close. Practically like cousins. 

I would have to know more about how the two families "hang out." Do they tend to separate into boy groups and girls groups for most of the time? Because if they do, that's why Joy and Carlin and Michael and Jana are so close. But if they all hang out together, that does seem like cousin territory.

I really don't think if Nathan and Ashley broke up that Gil would have allowed any more of their courtship to air on the show.  They would have just faded Ashley out and then made an announcement. 

I think showing Nathan and Ashley coming to Gil and Kelly about their questions is all a set up to "show the public" that their courting children actually do get to talk and discuss very serious marriage matters and not just waltz into marriage without any serious talk at all about what they are getting into. 

There has been a lot of backlash at the way the Bateses/Duggar families court and how the kids can't spend any time together alone or have any deep conversation etc., so I think the Bateses are trying to dispel that by showing Nathan and Ashley struggling a bit. 

The couple is on a social media lock down and "Keep watching/coming soon"  happy ending will be revealed in due time.  Just continue to tune in to BUB on the UP channel.  !!!!!!11!!!!!! 

Now, if what I think turns out not to be true,  I'll be very surprised that the Bateses let this unfold so publically and took the results on the chin.  But I really think it is highly unlikely.  They have already had to go through one public broken courtship. 

This family has worked so hard to present THE perfect way to live life and bring up children so they are obedient and good.    Why would this change now?   Nathan and Ashley and their courtship are being used to show the world that they got to manage their own relationship and in time, with the help of prayer and family support, their relationship endured! 

20 minutes ago, doubleT said:

I really don't think if Nathan and Ashley broke up that Gil would have allowed any more of their courtship to air on the show.  They would have just faded Ashley out and then made an announcement. 

I think showing Nathan and Ashley coming to Gil and Kelly about their questions is all a set up to "show the public" that their courting children actually do get to talk and discuss very serious marriage matters and not just waltz into marriage without any serious talk at all about what they are getting into. 

There has been a lot of backlash at the way the Bateses/Duggar families court and how the kids can't spend any time together alone or have any deep conversation etc., so I think the Bateses are trying to dispel that by showing Nathan and Ashley struggling a bit. 

The couple is on a social media lock down and "Keep watching/coming soon"  happy ending will be revealed in due time.  Just continue to tune in to BUB on the UP channel.  !!!!!!11!!!!!! 

Now, if what I think turns out not to be true,  I'll be very surprised that the Bateses let this unfold so publically and took the results on the chin.  But I really think it is highly unlikely.  They have already had to go through one public broken courtship. 

This family has worked so hard to present THE perfect way to live life and bring up children so they are obedient and good.    Why would this change now?   Nathan and Ashley and their courtship are being used to show the world that they got to manage their own relationship and in time, with the help of prayer and family support, their relationship endured! 

If N&A do break up and the Bates allowed it on tv, it's because Gil wants to control the narrative. If Ashley just fades away, there will be tons of speculation. And as we all know, speculation can get wild and is often way worse than the truth. So if they control the narrative that it's a personality conflict but they can still stay close friends, then I thibkGil would much prefer that over lusty speculation.

1 hour ago, doubleT said:

ITA with this. The Bates appear to try very hard to make it look like they aren't all crazy strict with their rules, even though they are. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If N&A do break up and the Bates allowed it on tv, it's because Gil wants to control the narrative

I also agree with this, Gil and Kelly want to have total control over their brand. If the relationship ended up failing after they had already made it public, they will do whatever they can to take control of how it is presented to make sure it doesn't damage their image. Everything the Bates allow people to see is very carefully planned to keep with their theme that they are a harmless, totally normal family that just happens to have a lot of kids. 

10 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Are you trying to be a wise ass? 

No just curious and I maintain a judges record, how they were appointed, background comes into play and one only needs to look at the Supreme Court in the States. There is no question concerning where fundamentally these judges stand. I am not as familiar with the lower courts of which Mr. Bates Sir was a part of, what type of cases he presided over primarily, etc... I don't know about Judge Bates District, record, anything I was just curious. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

No just curious and I maintain a judges record, how they were appointed, background comes into play and one only needs to look at the Supreme Court in the States. There is no question concerning where fundamentally these judges stand. I am not as familiar with the lower courts of which Mr. Bates Sir was a part of, what type of cases he presided over primarily, etc... I don't know about Judge Bates District, record, anything I was just curious. 

My apologies. I thought you were asking about Antonin Scalia's court records which are available through Wikipedia. Seeing bates sr. records would be very interesting. I wonder if Tennessee has an online database like Connecticut does.

17 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I guess that Nathan and Ashley have not broken up. They are going to talk a little bit more.

http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/

I understand how heavily edited these shows can be but there's something about Nathan saying they are still going to be 'friends' that gives me the impression they are no longer courting.

It appears that is some clever editing. The bit where they don't show Nathan talking is the bit where he says "still gonna be friends"... this could've been taken from any old conversation. I'm curious to see how this plays out, personally, I'm gonna go with not broken up but reevaluating certain standards in their relationship.

I am often puzzled by these fundie "courtships". 

For all their talk about saving yourself for the one god has for you and not giving away pieces of their heart, they seem to be jumping the gun quite a bit with all the "I love you" and so forth. It's like teenage crushes on steroids, except these folks are in their 20s...Not that there is anything wrong per se with being excited about a significant other and saying "I love you", but then it doesn't make sense to keep banging about saving yourself, etc.

On the other hand, my logic typically  fundie logic, so no surprises there!

1 minute ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I am often puzzled by these fundie "courtships". 

For all their talk about saving yourself for the one god has for you and not giving away pieces of their heart, they seem to be jumping the gun quite a bit with all the "I love you" and so forth. It's like teenage crushes on steroids, except these folks are in their 20s...Not that there is anything wrong per se with being excited about a significant other and saying "I love you", but, logically, it doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, my logic typically  fundie logic, so no surprises there!

I just feel like if they were allowed like say 20 minutes alone time they would realize that the person they're 'courting' isn't who they want to be with. It would save sooooooooooo much heartache later on in life. They're not giving anything away. It's just a private conversation. But they're not allowed that at all.

Just now, OyToTheVey said:

I just feel like if they were allowed like say 20 minutes alone time they would realize that the person they're 'courting' isn't who they want to be with. It would save sooooooooooo much heartache later on in life. They're not giving anything away. It's just a private conversation. But they're not allowed that at all.

Yes! It really is like that high school boyfriend/girlfriend/crush that you are crazy about in your head, and then you come to your senses and realize that it was all BS and what was I thinking???

I know there are people who marry their HS sweetheart and have happy marriages/lives, I know a couple in real life and it can happen, but first, none of them had the fundie courtship nonsense, rather a normal relationship that grew over time, and secondly, the vast majority of people would probably not fall into the "married my HS sweetheart" camp anyway.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived