IGNORED

Counting On - Part 9: Even the Flashbacks Have Flashbacks

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, anotherone said:

Yeah, I wondered why they simply didn't film them all going to TN or wherever that graduation of the friend was.  A real trip that they really made.  Actual real life.

Maybe TLC is too cheap these days to actually travel and film them doing real stuff.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, anotherone said:

Yeah, I wondered why they simply didn't film them all going to TN or wherever that graduation of the friend was.  A real trip that they really made.  Actual real life.

Maybe the other people wouldn't agree to being seen with the Duggars?

Little flashback on this Wednesday... And remember on Wednesdays we wear pink! 

Nice matching shirts and prairie denim skirts. Flashing back to a time before Anna was Smuggette, Jessa looked like JimBoob Jr., Jinger hadn't found the self tanning lotion, Pris wasn't a Pecan Theif & Suz was still in the cult. Look at Joy- she's Johannah's age... Wow

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, SwishySkirt said:

Why is Joy missing a leg?!

Yeah she definitely wasn't originally in that picture! Lol

Pris looks so happy in the picture, now the woman just looks like she's lost. 

While the whole picture is disturbing, the worst thing is the thongs Anna is wearing. That gives me flashbacks to the 90's - ick!

1 minute ago, Suz8710 said:

Is it weird to say I kind of miss those days of Duggar? :/

they weren't real then or now 

what's to miss exactly :D

2 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

While the whole picture is disturbing, the worst thing is the thongs Anna is wearing. That gives me flashbacks to the 90's - ick!

Anyone would look lost if their headship was TFDW. To be a fly on the wall in that house...

@nst I am with you, but that Duggar era's clothing and style regardless of personality or virtue, is what I (pathetically lol) miss. Nowadays with some of their outfits, they're like wolves in sheep's clothing. At least then you could more easily spot 'em a mile away.

Are there many fundie families out there who still dress like this? 

27 minutes ago, Suz8710 said:

@nst I am with you, but that Duggar era's clothing and style regardless of personality or virtue, is what I (pathetically lol) miss. Nowadays with some of their outfits, they're like wolves in sheep's clothing. At least then you could more easily spot 'em a mile away.

Wolves in skank's* clothing (ftfy)

*the old duggars would have judged the duggars of today pretty high on the skank-o-meter, aka normally dressed

7 hours ago, SwishySkirt said:

Why is Joy missing a leg?!

I thought this was an unfortunate photoshop job, but she is just in a weird posture

5 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I thought this was an unfortunate photoshop job, but she is just in a weird posture

You can also tell from Suze's hair and Jessa's skirt that the wind is blowing, so I think the breeze is pushing Joy's skirt against her oddly. 

11 hours ago, Suz8710 said:

Yes, there are quite a few. If you check out the families in the QFOS threads, you can see that the Maxwells, Rodrigueses, and many of the myriad families attending retreats definitely still do! Some of them are in full blown frumpers (Seven Sisters). I'm certain the Duggar/Bates image change was ALL TLC.  

17 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Yes, there are quite a few. If you check out the families in the QFOS threads, you can see that the Maxwells, Rodrigueses, and many of the myriad families attending retreats definitely still do! Some of them are in full blown frumpers (Seven Sisters). I'm certain the Duggar/Bates image change was ALL TLC.  

And $$$$$. 

It takes money to look up to date. 

22 hours ago, anotherone said:

My guess is that PCC has had so much bad publicity that TLC wouldn't want to have the Duggars tacitly supporting them. It's just a matter of obscuring what the Duggars actually believe, which is what has been going on since the very beginning. They've also been seen at BJU, which is notorious for its racist policies and shoddy handling of sexual assaults, but that was never portrayed on the show, even pre-Joshgate.

The problem with TLC doing an episode with the Duggars at PCC is that it raises the issue of why none of their kids, except Joseph's short stay at Crown, have ever gone to any type of college and obtained a degree. The real problem is that it is so glaringly obvious to the public that the now adult Duggar children have nothing going on in their lives.

A 12 year old being homeschooled in a close knit Christian family is very easy to sell to the public. People can aspired to have their children "behave" like the cute young Duggar family. It's a lot harder to sell a close Christian family where you have 6 or so now adult children that have no jobs, education, hobbies, friends or individual life outside the family. Hell, the females are not even allowed to go to the store by themselves unless married. No one wants their adult children to be like the Duggars unless they are already fundy. Who is going to tell their daughter that they wish she has never gone to med school and instead been an uneducated stay at home daughter who can only cook high carb foods? It is to the point that viewers are embarrassed for the Duggars. TLC has to manufacture situations that don't reflect how outside the normal loop the Duggars live in. PCC, however conservative, is still closer to the normal world than anything the Duggars have experienced. 

14 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

You said "thong" and I had to scroll back up to see what I missed...:embarrassed:...hehehe *sneaks back to the good ol' prayer closet*

6 hours ago, paulypepper said:

You said "thong" and I had to scroll back up to see what I missed...:embarrassed:...hehehe *sneaks back to the good ol' prayer closet*

Thongs lead to the "hey hey hey".

10 hours ago, socalrules said:

The problem with TLC doing an episode with the Duggars at PCC is that it raises the issue of why none of their kids, except Joseph's short stay at Crown, have ever gone to any type of college and obtained a degree. The real problem is that it is so glaringly obvious to the public that the now adult Duggar children have nothing going on in their lives.

A 12 year old being homeschooled in a close knit Christian family is very easy to sell to the public. People can aspired to have their children "behave" like the cute young Duggar family. It's a lot harder to sell a close Christian family where you have 6 or so now adult children that have no jobs, education, hobbies, friends or individual life outside the family. Hell, the females are not even allowed to go to the store by themselves unless married. No one wants their adult children to be like the Duggars unless they are already fundy. Who is going to tell their daughter that they wish she has never gone to med school and instead been an uneducated stay at home daughter who can only cook high carb foods? It is to the point that viewers are embarrassed for the Duggars. TLC has to manufacture situations that don't reflect how outside the normal loop the Duggars live in. PCC, however conservative, is still closer to the normal world than anything the Duggars have experienced. 

Amen on this comment.

The plot doesn't work because EVERYONE knows that a neurotypical adult living at home with JB and M without any skills, education or job is totally dysfunction. It is not OK or appropriate in anyone's world.

1 adult is bad, 6, soon to be 8 adult offspring doing nothing= a daddy cult.

On 5/10/2016 at 4:03 PM, anotherone said:

Well other fundie families seem to have no issue getting their 18 yr old girls married.  Is it just because of the fame?  This was before the scandals.

Apparently I went in to comment on this days ago and then never did... but I guess since FJ kindly saved the quote for me I'll just add my response. I believe that among ATI/Gothardites the molestations were an open secret. Everyone knew something had happened but maybe not the extent or which daughters. And without knowing exactly what happened, how can you be sure of the purity? And without knowing which daughters, they're all suspect. (Obviously this is disgusting, but probably something to the effect of what the fundies were thinking) So the Duggars could never get their daughters married off young in part because of the fame but I think probably mostly because everyone knew something had happened. I suspect though that if the scandals hadn't broken and their fame had kept going, after marrying off a couple of older daughters they may have had an easier time after that. Fame is a powerful motivator, especially the draw of that kind of "ministry" for fundies. And once a few families sign off on Duggar kids... I mean these people aren't known for critical thinking I'm guessing they'd have followed a group mentality.

In other news, I'm back from my extended break due to finals and I really enjoyed this walk down memory lane... and straight into the prayer closet. Seconded on how different Pris looks too. She had actual life in her eyes in that picture.

On May 18, 2016 at 7:46 PM, divadivine said:

Little flashback on this Wednesday... And remember on Wednesdays we wear pink! 

Nice matching shirts and prairie denim skirts. Flashing back to a time before Anna was Smuggette, Jessa looked like JimBoob Jr., Jinger hadn't found the self tanning lotion, Pris wasn't a Pecan Theif & Suz was still in the cult. Look at Joy- she's Johannah's age... Wow

image.jpeg

There's more *life* in this still photo than in a full season of Counting On!  Pris cracking up and about to drop her sister, everyone giggling, Joy striking a proud pose, the wind whipping through...   It just seems to have captured a genuinely fun moment that we can all probably relate to, denim skirts or no. 

Recent tv shows, though, are so MUTED.  A dramatic life and death birth situation?  Michelle's very flat "mother ... bleeding ...after ...birth..." is what we get. Not judging someone's 911 call, just--the whole episode was so very low key. Their showers and parties seem fake, subdued, stilted, flat.  All I see is awkwardness and selfconsciousness. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived