IGNORED

Counting On - Part 9: Even the Flashbacks Have Flashbacks

choralcrusader8613

I always thought that The Upper Room was produced under the auspices of the Southern Baptist Church because we had them on a table in the church vestibule, but it's not.  It's been non-sectarian from the beginning and it's published by the United Methodist Church.  It gets around, doesn't it?

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm watching the final episode and I'm laughing at the look on Jill's face when she said, "People don't know how to calculate due dates." That girl was pissed over the speculation that she conceived before the wedding and I love it. 

In light of the constant adoption talk, I now want, more than anything, for Jill and Jessa to get pregnant asap. Just pregnant all the time until menopause. Please, FSM, let it me so. 

2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I'm watching the final episode and I'm laughing at the look on Jill's face when she said, "People don't know how to calculate due dates."

Given the Duggars girls' obsession on their own mother's period calendar, and no science edjumication allowed, I am not sure SHE even knows how to calculate a due date.  Hysterical.

I always considered the notion that her baby would be an 8 pound premature one... Alas.  Not so.

I think after their birth experiences, they are going WTF and trying to find a way to still meet the full quiver expectations, without the hassle.

9 hours ago, SwishySkirt said:

Ugh, really?! Exclusive Bretheren are definitely the only fundies I've encountered. I do know a few fundie-lites though.

My fundy relatives call themselves Presbyterian, Catholic and Coptic Orthodox. In each case, the church they attend is at the conservative end of normal. They all just live isolated, home schooling lives where they can take it to extremes. In the case of the two who have joined ATI, they were homeschooled and so was their mother. This will be third generation ignorance. Scary. 

On 5/15/2016 at 6:43 AM, ChairmanMeow said:

I can't imagine anyone here is interested! Can you? Btw fellow Aussie :hello:

Does TLC take into consideration ratings around the world or just the US? 

Money is money.  I think they are going for online money since they put the shows on their site (get paid for ads in the stream and on the side) and now they're counting on international companies not suffering the wrath.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:17 AM, PennySycamore said:

I always thought that The Upper Room was produced under the auspices of the Southern Baptist Church because we had them on a table in the church vestibule, but it's not.  It's been non-sectarian from the beginning and it's published by the United Methodist Church.  It gets around, doesn't it?

I've seen them in Presbyterian, United Methodist, and non-denominational Christian churches.  I forget if that's the one that has the notation for how to read the bible in one year or if that's in Our Daily Bread.

19 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Money is money.  I think they are going for online money since they put the shows on their site (get paid for ads in the stream and on the side) and now they're counting on international companies not suffering the wrath.

That's silly because anyone international that googles this stupid show will be lead here. I've counted the ad three times in the ten minutes I've been watching Tattoo Nightmares!

On 5/15/2016 at 6:20 AM, EyeQueue said:

He should hit the summer music festival circuit. With his beard and bandana he would fit right in. It's a mission field ripe for the soul harvest, with all those godless heathens dancing to a beat.

How dare he!  That would be worshipping Satan. 

I've been thinking about the propaganda TLC put forward about the final show being "life-changing"--even though, of course, it wasn't.

And it occurred to me that in making that claim, TLC was doing the same sort of thing the Duggars do: trying to convince people of something merely by saying it. So, for example, JimBoob and MEEEchelle constantly brag about the "education" their children are receiving, and that the children are constantly learning new things by all the opportunities they get (like building a house from scratch with no safety equipment). We can see that the Duggar spawn are hopelessly ignorant, but JimBoob and MEEEchelle assume that just by saying their kids are educated, we will be convinced.

Or consider all the crap about sexual "purity," saving your first kiss, not permitting temptation, etc. We can see that people who kiss (and whatever else) without the legal sanction of marriage still have wonderful relationships, but the Duggars think by stressing purity over and over, and they can convince viewers that only relationships conducted in their peculiar manner are good ones.

In other words, no evidence is needed: Just say something over and over, and hope that people will accept it as true.

So TLC, just by saying repeatedly that this last episode was "life-changing," was trying to get us to believe it, even though there was not a particle of evidence that lives changed when Israel met Spurgeon.

1 hour ago, Analytica49 said:

In other words, no evidence is needed: Just say something over and over, and hope that people will accept it as fact

Actually that's a real thing in the media, especially for politics. It's a well known strategy to repeat something over and over, and people will associate it with the candidate whether its true or not.

Clever observation to notice it here.

In terms of the Duggars, the biggest issue with this repeating of fabrications is that none of the Duggars actually do anything. So, it just appears that they are liars. Jill is a midwife, where? when? Jana is a concert pianist? How come Erin Bates is playing at the Duggars' weddings? Jinger is a photographer? Where are her business cards? Take us on a shoot that does not involve her family. Ben and Jessa are working for Duggar real estate- show us what they do. Show us an episode highlighting what Joe is doing with his degree from Crown. 

If the 2nd generation are so experienced, educated and skilled, why do none of them have gainful employment beyond the flimsy TLC gig?

On 5/16/2016 at 10:28 PM, lascuba said:

In light of the constant adoption talk, I now want, more than anything, for Jill and Jessa to get pregnant asap. Just pregnant all the time until menopause. Please, FSM, let it me so. 

I think I've reached this point too. Be pregnant all the time, usurp J'chelle as mom to 19 and have more. I'd love to see her try to handle that.

Have we worked out what happens to adoption if someone gets pregnant in the process?  Because if it stops the adoption, we can have bigger pregnancy gaps.

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

In terms of the Duggars, the biggest issue with this repeating of fabrications is that none of the Duggars actually do anything. So, it just appears that they are liars. Jill is a midwife, where? when? Jana is a concert pianist? How come Erin Bates is playing at the Duggars' weddings? Jinger is a photographer? Where are her business cards? Take us on a shoot that does not involve her family. Ben and Jessa are working for Duggar real estate- show us what they do. Show us an episode highlighting what Joe is doing with his degree from Crown. 

If the 2nd generation are so experienced, educated and skilled, why do none of them have gainful employment beyond the flimsy TLC gig?

JD seems to be the only one who does something off the compound, yet the only time we saw him this last season was when he was building the tree house, right? I didn't watch, just read the recaps. But they didn't film him fixing up his house or while he was at his Constable job or while flying or anything. 

1 hour ago, imokit said:

Have we worked out what happens to adoption if someone gets pregnant in the process?  Because if it stops the adoption, we can have bigger pregnancy gaps.

well on the finale of Mike and Molly last night - Molly and Mike adopted a baby and she realized she was pregnant - she kept both :D

oh you mean real life - carry on

@nst, I think that something like that happened on King of Queens, too.   And maybe Sex and the City, as well.

40 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@nst, I think that something like that happened on King of Queens, too.   And maybe Sex and the City, as well.

yes to King of Queens which I hated - and SITC - didn't happen when Rose was like what 4 - so it doesn't really count or does it ?

8 hours ago, SassyPants said:

THIS! If the Duggars have as much going on as they try to make it sound like, they should have plenty of filming material!! But instead we only get completely staged "car flipping" scenes and that kind of junk. 

8 hours ago, imokit said:

In most cases, the adoption process would be placed on hold temporarily until the new baby has reached the designated age mark. (The most common time frame I've heard is a year, though Jessa has quoted nine months so she may have found an agency with a shorter requirement, and I've heard of some that are longer.) Once the appropriate time had passed, the parents could update their homestudy and proceed from where they left off.

I have also heard of occasional cases where the adoption proceeded anyway at the discretion of the agency, department, and/or the biological mother depending on the type of adoption, and the prospective adoptive parents ended up with both children at the same time. That is not common, though, because the prevailing wisdom is that the family should adjust to one major life change at a time whenever possible.

Often in those unusual cases where the adoption goes through in spite of a pregnancy, it's because the parents are near the end of the process or the child has already been placed but not finalized. I have not personally heard of an adoption process going ahead at the same time as a pregnancy if the family had not yet been matched with a specific child.

So all this to say, if Jessa became pregnant, the Seewalds would probably need to wait to adopt, but exceptions do happen so it's not a guarantee.

This can also happen if the adoption is of a foster child, where the adoption is moving along, and the child has been with the parents for a while, then mom gets pregnant. This happened to a foster family I knew. They'd adopted several special needs kids, and were in the process of adopting another. Dad had a low sperm count, and she wasn't expected to ever get pregnant. Can't imagine the Js wanting anything but a newborn though.

I hope that none of the Duggar kidults even consider adopting a foster child until they've matured significantly. Fortunately I can't even imagine them wanting to do so.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I hope that none of the Duggar kidults even consider adopting a foster child until they've matured significantly. Fortunately I can't even imagine them wanting to do so.

In which case....I hope they stay immature forever!!

7 hours ago, nst said:

yes to King of Queens which I hated - and SITC - didn't happen when Rose was like what 4 - so it doesn't really count or does it ?

You may be right about SITC.  It happened in the first movie which I've not seen in years.  I sorta don't consider it canonical.

20 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

In other words, no evidence is needed: Just say something over and over, and hope that people will accept it as true.

Isn't that how religions work?

16 hours ago, Kayleigh83 said:

THIS! If the Duggars have as much going on as they try to make it sound like, they should have plenty of filming material!! But instead we only get completely staged "car flipping" scenes and that kind of junk.

Yeah, I wondered why they simply didn't film them all going to TN or wherever that graduation of the friend was.  A real trip that they really made.  Actual real life.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived