IGNORED

Counting On - Part 9: Even the Flashbacks Have Flashbacks

choralcrusader8613

On 5/18/2016 at 7:46 PM, divadivine said:

Little flashback on this Wednesday... And remember on Wednesdays we wear pink! 

Nice matching shirts and prairie denim skirts. Flashing back to a time before Anna was Smuggette, Jessa looked like JimBoob Jr., Jinger hadn't found the self tanning lotion, Pris wasn't a Pecan Theif & Suz was still in the cult. Look at Joy- she's Johannah's age... Wow

image.jpeg

And they look genuinely happy.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there some sort of fundie store that sells that many neon pink, double layer, extra long Polo shirts?  I don't think I have ever quite run across those in all my shopping years...

4 hours ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

There's more *life* in this still photo than in a full season of Counting On!  Pris cracking up and about to drop her sister, everyone giggling, Joy striking a proud pose, the wind whipping through...   It just seems to have captured a genuinely fun moment that we can all probably relate to, denim skirts or no. 

Recent tv shows, though, are so MUTED.  A dramatic life and death birth situation?  Michelle's very flat "mother ... bleeding ...after ...birth..." is what we get. Not judging someone's 911 call, just--the whole episode was so very low key. Their showers and parties seem fake, subdued, stilted, flat.  All I see is awkwardness and selfconsciousness. 

This was pre-double-scandal. It must have changed their smiles...not snarking here. Life threw them a loop.

The shirts probably came from a thrift shop. They often get new clothing that is "irregular" or won't sell in a regular store. They probably saw a chance to match and bought them all. Because matching is fun!!!!!! :my_confused:

On 5/19/2016 at 11:16 PM, CorruptionInc. said:

Pris looks so happy in the picture, now the woman just looks like she's lost. 

While the whole picture is disturbing, the worst thing is the thongs Anna is wearing. That gives me flashbacks to the 90's - ick!

I think all of us Americans just got a little confused why Anna's underwear was being mentioned, not her footwear!

I have a feeling thongs are not fundie-approved underwear...

2 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I think all of us Americans just got a little confused why Anna's underwear was being mentioned, not her footwear!

Is it an American thing or a generational thing? Or a generational-within-America perhaps? My mom always says thongs for flip-flops and I always cringe. In general most of the people I"ve noticed calling footwear thongs have been my mom's generation (she's the tail end of the Baby Boomers) so I think it might have to do with how the word was used when you were growing up.

1 hour ago, Chicken bones said:

Is there some sort of fundie store that sells that many neon pink, double layer, extra long Polo shirts?  I don't think I have ever quite run across those in all my shopping years...

Jana added the white undershirts for extra length and modesty.

I feel like long denim skirts are one of the ugliest and most impractical of all the popular fundie clothing choices. They are so heavy, long and cumbersome. 

27 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Speak for yourself. :) I am an American, and I thought of footwear, not underwear because of the context. (No underwear was showing.)  

The first encounter I had with the word thongs (referring to flip flops) would have been around 1966 on a list of things to take to Girl Scout camp (the thongs were for walking to and from the river when we swam and to and from the showers).   

The undergarment didn't acquire the name "thong" in my mind until the 1990s.  Before that, I don't think it was marketed outside of the "sexy underwear" store.  And I would have called it a g-string. ;)

Funny about words, isn't it?

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I feel like long denim skirts are one of the ugliest and most impractical of all the popular fundie clothing choices. They are so heavy, long and cumbersome. 

While I wouldn't wear them all the time, I had a wrap-around denim skirt that came to my ankles which I wore in the early 1970s which I did not find cumbersome at all.  I wore it with a leotard top and got a lot of compliments.  But I wouldn't have worn it all the time.

1 hour ago, libriatrix said:

Is it an American thing or a generational thing? Or a generational-within-America perhaps? My mom always says thongs for flip-flops and I always cringe. In general most of the people I"ve noticed calling footwear thongs have been my mom's generation (she's the tail end of the Baby Boomers) so I think it might have to do with how the word was used when you were growing up.

Yep, thongs were flip flops with a toe separator before they were underwear. I  am a mid century modern baby boomer.

Another mid-century baby boomer here:  You wouldn't have called nicer open-back, toe separating sandals "flip-flops".  You would have called them thongs.  Flip-flops were only for the cheap rubber things.

Add me to the list of those using the word thongs for flip flops.

My 80+YO dad calls them zories -

13 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Add me to the list of those using the word thongs for flip flops.

My 80+YO dad calls them zories -

In pre-Silicon Valley (60s/70s) they were called thongs -- both the nicer ones and the cheap rubber kind.  I don't remember hearing "flip-flops" until later, maybe the 80s (when I had moved away and knew people from a wider area).  My family called them zoris though -- I think that was because we were friends with a Japanese family who called them that?  Just guessing, but I always thought of that as a Japanese word.

In southern Australia the foot ware is called thongs I think they are called jandals New Zealand.

7 hours ago, libriatrix said:

5 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Another mid-century baby boomer here:  You wouldn't have called nicer open-back, toe separating sandals "flip-flops".  You would have called them thongs.  Flip-flops were only for the cheap rubber things.

I don't know what you should call the "nicer" toe-separating backless sandals even now, if you are not supposed to call them "thongs."  They certainly aren't flip-flops.  

Some words can mean different things depending on context.  

In Australia this week we saw the first episode of counting on followed by the first episode of Bringing up Bates.  The next night was the Willis Family.

Counting on was boring but I found the cooking entertaining, it was stated that Jana and Jill usually cooked at home.  This might explain why their skills are limited.  I think they have been cooking the same  dishes they were taught As children and had not progressed.

The Bates family had a shower for Bradley, with Erin looking sad and the other married one rocking up with a t shirt the said 'bun in the oven'.

I have not watched this weeks The Willis family, but after looking at old shows, they seem just as conservative.  The kids lined up eldest to youngest with almost military feel to things.  The girls stating that they would defer to their husbands on decision making .  Dad stating the goal was to have the girls marriage ready at 18.

I think I want to watch more Goggle box and less of these families.

If you can read, you can cook.

Now, some of them might not have a good command of written language or comprehension based on the SOTDRT, so that might be part of it, but damn. Log on to the Food Network or buy a cookbook.

How hard is it to make Fajitas? Roasted Chicken or soup? 

26 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

If you can read, you can cook.

Now, some of them might not have a good command of written language or comprehension based on the SOTDRT, so that might be part of it, but damn. Log on to the Food Network or buy a cookbook.

How hard is it to make Fajitas? Roasted Chicken or soup? 

I all of a sudden make Caesar salad dressing with a yolk that you can throw against the wall and it sticks to the wall.

Clearly I am doing something wrong :D

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

I don't know what you should call the "nicer" toe-separating backless sandals even now, if you are not supposed to call them "thongs."  They certainly aren't flip-flops.  

I personally just call them sandals or dressy sandals.

Since we're going to continue in a new thread soon and it's going to be part 10, perhaps it should be called "Counting Down."  :content:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived