IGNORED

Going back in time.... Pleasantville

MarblesMom

This was just on... and such a multi-layered movie, with many messages. 

Some of them make me really icky (like "you will be home every night at 6 and have my dinner ready" and/or "maybe you just want to hang out with your colored girlfriend"). 

Overall, I think one could write a pretty detailed paper analyzing this movie, its social and political messages, and so on.

I remember watching this with young teens and even *they* walked away with questions and opinions about what was being depicted.

Social change, racial issues, bullying, misogyny, patriarchy, being blind to the world outside one's own, sexual awakening - so many themes.  I know I have not captured them all.

For a fundie take on the evils of this movie - go to Good Fight Ministries (Joe Schimel) (link below).  He/they make it hard to direct link but type "Pleasantville" in the search box then click on the title that comes up below and watch his video rant. (oooh it's gnositc)

http://theater.goodfight.org/

(then poke around and see his analysis of all sorts of music and movie evils).  

I don't know how I've missed seeing this movie, but I haven't ever. I need to get on that.

What you're saying reminds me of how I felt about reading Stephen King's 11.22.63. The 50s are depicted in such an idyllic manner, and then things start creeping in to undermine that. Like the racism. And sexism. And all the other issues you raise above.

ETA: And, @clueliss, thanks for the link to that site. What a hoot. I think it needs its own thread, LOL!

Archived