IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

6 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

She also seemed to have the most conservative courtship of all 4 (well now 5) couples and adhered to the Duggar rules the most.  I'm not sure if they front hugged or not, but even her super fundie sister front hugged the shit out of Brandon when he popped the question.  (It also very well be that her courtship was the first successful one, but she's just not one to challenge rules).  

I cannot remember why, but I recently reread Kelly's blog about Erin and Chad's engagement, and they did front hug (for quite a while) after he popped the question. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I never found Chad attractive.  I just can't look at him without seeing Paul Ryan (someone who I think is a jackass).  

And while he's not public with his beliefs (since he got married), I'm sure they're the same or worse than the politician's.  

So I am not the only one that sees the resemblance between Paul Ryan and Chad, though I do think Chad is the more attractive of the two.

I am sure that Gil went over Chad's beliefs with a fine tooth comb to make sure Chad was completely in line with the family.  He might be more quiet about it,  but make no mistake he would have never been allowed to court Erin, much less marry her if he wasn't towing the line.   

That said, Chad is still young and who knows where he will be 10, 15, 20 years from now.   Remember that many of these fundies' kids have no clue about real life but I suspect that many learn real quick when life bites them in the butt.   I suspect that Erin's clotting issues have been a real eye opener for him.   I watched their video announcing the second pregnancy and I sensed he was a bit scared.  He knows the deal.  

Off topic for a second, but in the latest Instagram photo on the BatesFam account, Carlin's knees are definitely visible. Something tells me she'll be more of an Alyssa than a Michael when she marries. 

Also, at least the husbands in the Bates marriages have legit jobs, rather than just working for Gil like Ben does for Boob, or bumbling around Central America like Derick. (Let's not bring Smugs into this. He's a douche.)

One point being missed is that other than Whitney, the Bates in laws (and soon to be in law) are fundie royalty or close to it. That is not a coincidence.

Also, UP is a family oriented network. No way in hell are they going to make the Bates look batshit crazy on camera.

13 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Off topic for a second, but in the latest Instagram photo on the BatesFam account, Carlin's knees are definitely visible. Something tells me she'll be more of an Alyssa than a Michael when she marries. 

Also, at least the husbands in the Bates marriages have legit jobs, rather than just working for Gil like Ben does for Boob, or bumbling around Central America like Derick. (Let's not bring Smugs into this. He's a douche.)

Unlike JB, Gil doesn't have the money to support married kids and hopefully it stays that way.   I personally think it's good that all the husbands have their own jobs, even if Brandon works for IBLP and John works for his family's business, it's still a job.   All of them know what it's like to have to go out every day, show up on time, do the work and figure out how to support their families.   It gives them a measure of independence separate from their grifting dad / FIL and I doubt that the UP show will generate enough money to make quitting an option, also a good thing IMHO.

Both Derrick and Ben had the downside of marrying into a family already rolling in the dough from TLC, so I am not surprised that eventually they got sucked into the dog and pony show.   While I think it was good Ben finished his community college program, he has delusions of what he can actually do going forward.    Derrick gave up a job that appeared pretty decent for a recent college grad.   While I have no idea of the circumstances surrounding his leaving Walmart HQ, if it was purely voluntary on his part to up and go to Central America then IMHO he was a complete idiot to do so.  Having his own job separate from his in-laws' deal was his claim to some independence, now he's completely sucked in.    

43 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Also, UP is a family oriented network. No way in hell are they going to make the Bates look batshit crazy on camera.

True. But no editing or whatever can make the Duggars seem as non-robotic and human as the Bates come across

7 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Referencing a post above, they aren't meeting future mates at JTTH as those are single sex retreats. 

That was my post.  Priscilla Waller, for one, mentioned how she went on a JTTH with Anna and then started to lead them, and she spotted David at IBLP HQ during her service on those trips (so she wasn't on a trip on the time herself, but was part of it).  Michaella Bates first saw Brandon while on a JTTH as well (he was working in the Northwoods then), and then saw him at other IBLP/ATI events beyond that.  So while they're definitely single sex, at least a few of these couples met at least indirectly through JTTH

Various couples definitely meet through IBLP.  I wouldn't count on a barely chance meeting of someone while on a same sex retreat.    Priscilla saw David at IBLP when she was working there while between leading journeys so the connection is indirect at best.  She would have been working for several weeks at a time between the JTTH sessions.  Michael saw Brandon first in Chicago at IBLP admittedly while she was on her way to a JTTH but not in the Northwoods. 

True. But no editing or whatever can make the Duggars seem as non-robotic and human as the Bates come across

I tend to agree. However, the fact that the Bates appear to be happy and normal makes them all the more dangerous.

The Bates really do have outgoing personalities that shine on television, but that doesn't mean that they are one ounce better than the Duggars. 

More "hottie" pictures of Chad in Erin's IG.

I don't understand one thing. In my country there're not evangelical fundies , just a few hardcore catholics, and they would never post sexy pictures or comments like "My husband is hot". I mean, is Erin too naif? Or just hipocrite?

In a lot of fundie circles it is okay to show off men, it is just women who must be covered. There is a double standard and that is why Kelly makes her daughters cover up but posted pictures of her sons that left little to the imagination. It goes with the idea that only women can defraud people with how they look. 

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

In a lot of fundie circles it is okay to show off men, it is just women who must be covered. There is a double standard and that is why Kelly makes her daughters cover up but posted pictures of her sons that left little to the imagination. It goes with the idea that only women can defraud people with how they look. 

Surely Kelly realises her sons are quite capable of defrauding the ladies? I'm pretty sure some of us FJers have been defrauded by those photos of Lawson and co. that were posted on the Bates' blog. :pb_mrgreen:

2 minutes ago, Sweet Fellowship said:

Surely Kelly realises her sons are quite capable of defrauding the ladies? I'm pretty sure some of us FJers have been defrauded by those photos of Lawson and co. that were posted on the Bates' blog. :pb_mrgreen:

They don't view it in the same way, though, because women are said to be emotional, not visual. I also think they do have different standards for their sons, which is why when I asked, Kelly wouldn't talk about modesty standards for the sons. She knows it would make her look like a hypocrite. 

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

More "hottie" pictures of Chad in Erin's IG.

I don't understand one thing. In my country there're not evangelical fundies , just a few hardcore catholics, and they would never post sexy pictures or comments like "My husband is hot". I mean, is Erin too naif? Or just hipocrite?

No, I believe it's just emblematic of the problems with fundies: extreme biblical literalism with "pick and choose" issues, cultural laxity with others. Sure, she couldn't physically be alone with her husband until her wedding day, but by all means, use popular (and arguably sexual) language to describe him to the world. Consistency is not the goal here, it's following Gothard's ridiculous tenants, because Gothard knows best. 

On another note, I applaud Chad for channeling his pre-marriage abstinence energy into developing solid hobbies vs. I don't know, molesting his sisters? Good for you, Chad, good for you. 

5 hours ago, Sweet Fellowship said:

They don't think ladies can be defrauded because ladies don't have sexual desires.

Yes, women have no sexual desires. If they do it's merely "hysteria". *rolls eyes*

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere, but how many of the Bates kidlets have gone to the special indoctrination camps like JTTH and Alert? I don't remember hearing about Carlin or Tori going, or really any of the boys...is that not something they do? I imagine it's quite expensive...maybe out of their price range except for the first couple kids when they were especially gung ho?

3 minutes ago, trisprefect said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere, but how many of the Bates kidlets have gone to the special indoctrination camps like JTTH and Alert? I don't remember hearing about Carlin or Tori going, or really any of the boys...is that not something they do? I imagine it's quite expensive...maybe out of their price range except for the first couple kids when they were especially gung ho?

I know the oldest 3 girls have gone to JTTH (there's pics somewhere from it, when Michael was wearing her teddy bear sweatshirt IIRC).  I'm not sure about anyone else.

6 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Yes, women have no sexual desires. If they do it's merely "hysteria". *rolls eyes*

Probably more like sin. Clearly a woman with a sex drive is being influenced by Satan. 

On 4/17/2016 at 4:43 AM, jas said:

That whole post was about spending time alone together, yet most of the photos look like they were taken by a third person. Either that or they put in a huge amount of effort posing for a tripod. It is all about appearances with them, isn't it? Most people would just spend the time together, but they have to be seen spending time together.

Haven't finished reading this thread yet, so I don't know if anyone else replied to this, but in Chad's post someone asked about this and Erin replied that "We met a sweet grandma and her two granddaughters and we asked if they would take some pictures for us!" So they were theoretically alone except for running in to other people on the beach.

Will someone give this kid a modeling contract already? He is so cute I can't even

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

Well, I'm glad Whitney gets proper prenatal care.

The bar for what makes me glad is low with this family. :pb_lol:

All the married Bates kids seem to have a normal life, I mean they have jobs, proper health care, nice houses, etc. What is different with Duggars and their dangerous homebirths and no jobs and no-future-plans.

The question is if the Bates married children will mantain this good way of life in the future. It's easy to keep one kid well feed and fancy dressed and be a lovely mum to him/her, but what happens with kid number 7? At some point, clothes are spotted hang-me-downs, and there's no time for spoiling and designing birthday parties and feeling special because one of the kids begin walking. At some point, medical bills can be a nightmare. So you may disconnect (and be a robot like Michelle) or you can feel very miserable.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived