IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

10 hours ago, patsymae said:

Doesn't Anna Duggar also have a "degree" in education? If Tori has/is "working" toward the same "degree," I agree. It's to put lipstick on the homeschool pig.

Wasn't it also from Pensacola CC?

I went to Catholic schools from K- BS degree. I'd say I received a very good education. A 4 year (BS) in nursing was pretty easy.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Anna's degree was from an online school.

17 hours ago, Kira said:

1. How old was Alyssa when she got married? 19? 

2. The career "change" could be Brandon and Michael moving to Texas

3.  The Season 4 promo said new love:think:

I think Tori made some sort of snarky comment about Alyssa being a very young bride in one of those Name that Bates segment.  It just shows that even in the ATI world, 19 is very young to get married.  (If it wasn't Tori it was Carlin).

I only follow a few fundie families (too much of a rabbit hole to follow more).  Is a 19 yo bride (or groom) typcial for fundies?

ETA the only other teen in fundie circles I follow to get married was Ben.  

12 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I think Tori made some sort of snarky comment about Alyssa being a very young bride in one of those Name that Bates segment.  It just shows that even in the ATI world, 19 is very young to get married.  (If it wasn't Tori it was Carlin).

I only follow a few fundie families (too much of a rabbit hole to follow more).  Is a 19 yo bride (or groom) typcial for fundies?

I'd say 21-23 would be the median if someone had a large enough sample.(Halcionne, where are you with your spreadsheets!?)

The late teen marriages definitely seem to be outliers, and plenty of obedient SAHDs have gotten married at 25 without seemingly having received the "desperate spinster" label yet.

For those former IFBers, I am curious as to what was the typical age of marriage when you were in it?

On 4/27/2016 at 9:31 AM, tumblr said:

I don't find Tori or Carlin to be as obnoxious or rude as some of you do though I am sure that is it at least partially because I am right about their age. They do both seem very loud though and like they have trouble self regulating their volume at times. 

I don't find them rude/obnoxious as a rule, but both have definitely had moments where they have come across as such, like Carlin visiting Michael and telling her her couch was ugly. I like to think that even at 17, I wouldn't have been enough of a dick to walk into SOMEONE ELSE'S HOME and insult their things. 

6 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I know a few fundies who were married in their late teens.  I don't think fundies consider 19 too young to get married. Many fundie leaders and bloggers support young marriages.

ETA: Is Joseph Duggar in Tennesee?: http://duggars.tumblr.com/post/143594814375/19kidsandloving-looks-like-joe-is-in-tennessee#post-notes

I guess Joseph is in TN for Tori and Trace's partyI thought this photo was old. I'm trying to find the original source.

1 hour ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I don't find them rude/obnoxious as a rule, but both have definitely had moments where they have come across as such, like Carlin visiting Michael and telling her her couch was ugly. I like to think that even at 17, I wouldn't have been enough of a dick to walk into SOMEONE ELSE'S HOME and insult their things. 

Eh, I wouldn't have done it but I also don't find it rude. 

The one situation that stuck out to me as rude was Tori dragging Brandon at one point.

12 minutes ago, Kira said:

I know a few fundies who were married in their late teens.  I don't think fundies consider 19 too young to get married. Many fundie leaders and bloggers support young marriages.

ETA: Is Joseph Duggar in Tennesee?: http://duggars.tumblr.com/post/143594814375/19kidsandloving-looks-like-joe-is-in-tennessee#post-notes

I guess Joseph is in TN for Tori and Trace's partyI thought this photo was old. I'm trying to find the original source.

Since they made that party a free for all I'm sure Joe's not the only Duggar there (Joy and Carlin are BFF).  JB probably loaded them all onto the bus.

My mom tried LifePac once and she said it was awful! One of the worst things she has ever attempted to teach with. Kids learning history and science through A Beka and BJ are basically learning nothing. They could go outside and stare at the sky instead of taking those courses and probably come out better educated. At least they wouldn't be learning lies and propaganda. 

LifePacs are terrible!!

I homeschool my kiddo (she has a physical disability that made school a horrible experience for her, and is a competitive athlete.) and once I had a friend loan me a few different curriculums so we could test them and make a decision.

I hated LifePacs and ABeka. (Very little substance, heavily religious and I didn't feel she was retaining anything.)

12 hours ago, formergothardite said:

My mom tried LifePac once and she said it was awful! One of the worst things she has ever attempted to teach with. Kids learning history and science through A Beka and BJ are basically learning nothing. They could go outside and stare at the sky instead of taking those courses and probably come out better educated. At least they wouldn't be learning lies and propaganda. 

I went to an IFB school from 4-9 grade with A Beka and BJ curricula and I was fine, but then again the teachers adored me because I was by far the smartest student and many of my classes were solo and the work was tailored just for me. I managed to transition easily to a ginormous, top-ranked high school and graduate as a second semester college sophomore thanks to AP. But my experience is likely a rare one.

On Fundies getting married young, 19 is not young, neither is 18 to them.  Dating is the issue.  

My SIL is a Fundie (more fundie lite now) and her son had to get permission to "date" his girlfriend senior year from their church/school they attended.  They were given permission towards the end of the school year.  Once they both graduated, the pressure began to get engaged.  They got engaged in September.  After they got engaged, the pressure was on to get married.  They were both 19 when married in April, less than a year after graduation high school.  They were 20 when their son was born and 23 when they separated.  

Another girl in their class got married three weeks after graduation at age 18.  My SIL thought my hubby and I were too old to get married at 24.  We started dating at 19.

So... Did any FreeJingerites make it to Trace and Carlin's open invite graduation party today? Looks like it was pretty rainy in Tennessee, so no outdoor games. Staying indoors with tons of strangers sounds like an awkward party.

19kidsandloving on tumblr went and reports that Tori is in a courtship with this guy named Bobby, and Jinger was skyping with someone, presumably a special friend. Bobby looks really familiar, can anyone identify him?

tumblr_o6h5o8cOfN1tl94kio1_500.jpg

I seriously want to know what, if anything, they do to make sure they aren't inviting a plethora of lepers and serial killers and kleptomaniacs into their midst. I just can't believe people are that stupid - what's the payoff for inviting the whole damn world to a child's graduation party?

Maybe they have a cover charge...

16 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I seriously want to know what, if anything, they do to make sure they aren't inviting a plethora of lepers and serial killers and kleptomaniacs into their midst. I just can't believe people are that stupid - what's the payoff for inviting the whole damn world to a child's graduation party?

Maybe they have a cover charge...

Grifting--- an open graduation party mean$ that gue$ts will open their wallet$ and write check$ to the graduate$.  Now that the Bate$ family is famou$, what better way to grift than to have their fan$ pay for college?

Carlin and Trace can each probably pay for a year of college if they invited a shitload of leghumpers.

As for Tori's boyfriend--- perhaps the Bates ladies are all short, but their men all seem pretty tall (well Tori's man, Brandon, and John do).  I"m also glad to see she's not with a Duggar boy.  

37 minutes ago, sorchah said:

19kidsandloving on tumblr went and reports that Tori is in a courtship with this guy named Bobby, and Jinger was skyping with someone, presumably a special friend. Bobby looks really familiar, can anyone identify him?

tumblr_o6h5o8cOfN1tl94kio1_500.jpg

They actually look quite...cute? Dare I say it. He's probably as fundie as the rest though which is sad. 

As for the Jinger thing, the original poster stressed that she was alone having this Skype call. So if it is her "special friend" I doubt she would have been allowed to do it in private unless she's engaged which will be a shock (well that's what the rule was with Jessa and Ben/ Derick and Jill). Who knows though, JB and Michelle may have become less strict (jk probably not but we can always pray).

Since the free-for-all graduation party was held on Crown college grounds, I think Crown College also viewed this as a huge marketing opportunity

I've been lurking here for years, but this is my first post.  Just wanted to say that I live really close to the Bateseseseses and just saw some of Carlin & Trace's graduation party pictures come up on my Facebook feed.  Apparently some of the Duggars were there (Jana, Jinger, Jessa, & Spurgeon at least) and also a baby kangaroo.  No idea who gave these people a kangaroo, but there you go.

Yesterday @sunshine posted photos of Tori sitting next to a guy that looks like Bobby.

1 hour ago, MorningMist said:

They actually look quite...cute? Dare I say it. He's probably as fundie as the rest though which is sad. 

As for the Jinger thing, the original poster stressed that she was alone having this Skype call. So if it is her "special friend" I doubt she would have been allowed to do it in private unless she's engaged which will be a shock (well that's what the rule was with Jessa and Ben/ Derick and Jill). Who knows though, JB and Michelle may have become less strict (jk probably not but we can always pray).

Jinger could be engaged. The Duggar have tried to keep courtships a secret. Jill was already engaged when we found out about Derrick. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not Jinger!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I don't care which of the Bateseseseses get hitched and at this stage I'm pretty indifferent to the Duggars in general, but not Jinger! Please, not Jinger!!! She needs to escape to New York and become a photographer and date some insanely sexy movie star. Pleeeeeeeaaaase!!!!) 

:shakehead:

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Since the free-for-all graduation party was held on Crown college grounds, I think Crown College also viewed this as a huge marketing opportunity

I wonder if they worked out some sort of deal with Clown College where they got a discount on tuition for doing this. I'm sure the Clown used it as an opportunity to try to pull people into thinking this is a real college. 

I'm sure Bobby is properly fundie, willing to sell his soul on television and willing to not cross Gil or he wouldn't be allowed around a Bates daughter. 

It is long overdue but I still need to say it: Thank you soooo much for a separate Bates blog (or how you call it).

Does Tori's courtship deserve its own thread?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived