IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

55 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

What does Chad do for a living? And for that matter what does John do?  

I believe Chad works at a metal plant (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  He also restores furniture, but not sure if he does that for $$$ or not.   Erin also teaches piano.

John works for his family's HVAC business.  (For that matter, Brandon works for ATI and Zach is a cop).

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Been reading this forum and I think its really fascinating.  Let me ask, in terms of Lawson, he's a Bates. But, the Duggars don't allow music except for singing their church songs.  Lawson's preforming in Nashville. Are the Bates just possibly more lenient?   They let Alyssa back in the house in her pants and Lawson gets to sing?  

I don't actually think the Duggars would have a problem with Lawson's music, they probably own Lawson's music.   I imagine that they too would let a married daughter back in the house wearing pants. Jessa is listening to Christian rap and her husband is rapping and she is hardly banned from the house. 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I don't actually think the Duggars would have a problem with Lawson's music, they probably own Lawson's music.   I imagine that they too would let a married daughter back in the house wearing pants. Jessa is listening to Christian rap and her husband is rapping and she is hardly banned from the house. 

This is true. But, the Duggars cannot dance--ever--and we've seen the Bates do it. 

Well the one Duggar kid danced around to a toy on one of the shows until the older kid realized they were being filmed and then turned it into a weird "dancing for joy" thing after being questioned. I kind of feel like the Duggars aren't as super strict about that sort of thing as the show made them out to be. TLC wanted them to look like freaks and they are dumb enough to go along with it.

Watching the show you would think they would never wear pants, but Jinger has been seen at home wearing pants. 

@Tomboy yep, my money is on Joe Duggar, if they can work out how to put a positive spin on it for TV

Joseph Duggar seems shy and nice BUT he's submissive always looking for his older brothers telling him what to do. He's one of Michelle's favourite, I suppose because his obedience.

So I don't think Joe is good for Tori, except that Tori is bossy and maybe that's what she's looking for.

In any case, I wish that if they marry, they life far from Tontitown. Very far. If not, Tori's spunk will dissapear soon.

On 23/4/2016 at 3:48 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

The main difference I see with Chad is he clearly wants his kids.  Pre-scandal Josh showed signs (the look on his face) of just being over it all during Meredith's pregnancy and reveal.  You can tell those 2 were not on the same page when it came to Meredith.

I also don't see Chad taking a nap while Erin gives birth on the toilet.

Will the Paine kids be homeschooled?  I'm 99% sure they will.  But their firstborn hasn't even had a first birthday yet so there's still time to find out.

Josh was thrilled when mackenzie was born and I think he really loves her and Mike. I'm not saying he's the best father, but his non-verbal communication showed affection. Not defending him! But since he was courting he said he'd be fine with 2-3 children. I'm sure Marcus and Meredith pregnancies were forced by Anna and he wasn't a little happy about it.

I repeat: I'm not defending him. 

8 hours ago, JillyO said:

What did John say?

During one of the videos on UPtv Tori is asking John and Alyssa who their favorite Bates is and neither include her in their list.  When she asks him why, John tells her something that sounded like 'once you have a boyfriend'.  Makes it sound like now that she has a boyfriend she can't be the Bates he's closest to. Speculation is that if she has a boyfriend it's Joe Duggar but I don't think she spent New Year's with the rest of the family so maybe it's some mystery guy.

I don't quite know why the Bates passed through the Atlanta exurbs on the way back from Big Sandy, but perhaps if you are driving on I-20 that is the most direct way?

Anyway, I believe you can see Ashley in this pic--but I don't think any of the married Bates actually went to Big Sandy with them. And is Tori missing as well? Perhaps she couldn't skip a week of class at Crown.

I'm watching bringing up bates. And suddenly remebered why I stopped watching. This family drives me nuts. I have a terrible urge to punch someone in the face. And who the hell edits this show? None of the two or three story lines in each episode have anything to do with each other

Definitely looks like Ashley peeking her head out in that pic.  I wonder why she's not standing next to Nathan though.

There's also a blonde girl in front of her that I don't recognize.  Anyone know who she is?

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Definitely looks like Ashley peeking her head out in that pic.  I wonder why she's not standing next to Nathan though.

There's also a blonde girl in front of her that I don't recognize.  Anyone know who she is?

That looks like family friend Courtney.  She's seen in many pictures with the family including at their home on 'I love you' day.  Maybe she helps with the homeschooling like Tabitha Paine does with the Duggars.

13 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

That looks like family friend Courtney.  She's seen in many pictures with the family including at their home on 'I love you' day.  Maybe she helps with the homeschooling like Tabitha Paine does with the Duggars.

Where does one find these Courtneys and Tabithas to homeschool the children?  Do you buy them from the Alert Academy Store? Is there an "Surplus SAHDs"  section of Fundie Craig's List?

@HereticHick,  the Bateses could either have taken I-20 from Texas to Atlanta or I-10/65/85 from Texas to Atlanta and then I-75 north from Atlanta home.  I think they live fairly close to I-75.  I don't know where Big Sandy is in Texas, but I-20 would be better if it's in the northern part of the state and I-10/65/85 might be better if Big Sandy is further south.

35 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@HereticHick,  the Bateses could either have taken I-20 from Texas to Atlanta or I-10/65/85 from Texas to Atlanta and then I-75 north from Atlanta home.  I think they live fairly close to I-75.  I don't know where Big Sandy is in Texas, but I-20 would be better if it's in the northern part of the state and I-10/65/85 might be better if Big Sandy is further south.

Big Sandy is in East Texas, due west of Shreveport,  10 miles north of I-20

I just want to say I'm not trying to derail the current convo everyone has going on at the moment, I figured this was the general Bates thread within "Quiver full of Bates" so it was okay to post it here.

Out of curiosity when bored, I've been going through Chad Paine's blog. Most of the early years blog posts are dedicated to bible verses and plenty of photos, stories about going up to Northwoods, or a mission trip to Peru.

I know he started "getting to know" Erin Bates in 2011, I was honestly very touched about the way he wrote about their blossoming friendship and then courtship, engagement, etc. He really seems like a genuine guy.

Then I found this photo. It's from a Christmas Party in 2011. Girls hair is all curled and coiffed, Kelly has her big maternity dress on, there's Gil, grinning away..... and there's Mr. Gothard.

Check out the looks on their faces. Maybe it's just me, but I find this photo chilling.

The reason for this post is I recall what Erin mentioned on her instagram about how neither she nor Chad support Mr. Gothard whatsoever now. I realize now that coming "out from the umbrella of father's authority" couldn't be more true. But here is Erin, and her sisters and brothers attending this Christmas party, and here's Chad taking the photos! David Waller is there....Brandon Keilen....the whole gang! 

This was only 5 years ago. I just find it hard to believe that a family who for several decades has worshipped this man, all of a sudden will drop him at the first sign of trouble in the press. Which is why I realize they have only denounced him for that reason, because of unwanted media criticism.

Just take a look at his blog...this photo is from the Christmas Party December 21, 2011.

So in reality, this was only 4 1/2 short years ago......

Just a reminder folks,  before we all start gushing about the Bates again! Pictures speaks a 1000 words.

IMG_0074.JPG

On 24.4.2016 at 8:24 PM, BeccaGrim said:
Been reading this forum and I think its really fascinating.  Let me ask, in terms of Lawson, he's a Bates. But, the Duggars don't allow music except for singing their church songs.  Lawson's preforming in Nashville. Are the Bates just possibly more lenient?   They let Alyssa back in the house in her pants and Lawson gets to sing?  

Alyssa doesn't wear pants around the family home.

31 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

I just want to say I'm not trying to derail the current convo everyone has going on at the moment, I figured this was the general Bates thread within "Quiver full of Bates" so it was okay to post it here.

Out of curiosity when bored, I've been going through Chad Paine's blog. Most of the early years blog posts are dedicated to bible verses and plenty of photos, stories about going up to Northwoods, or a mission trip to Peru.

I know he started "getting to know" Erin Bates in 2011, I was honestly very touched about the way he wrote about their blossoming friendship and then courtship, engagement, etc. He really seems like a genuine guy.

Then I found this photo. It's from a Christmas Party in 2011. Girls hair is all curled and coiffed, Kelly has her big maternity dress on, there's Gil, grinning away..... and there's Mr. Gothard.

Check out the looks on their faces. Maybe it's just me, but I find this photo chilling.

The reason for this post is I recall what Erin mentioned on her instagram about how neither she nor Chad support Mr. Gothard whatsoever now. I realize now that coming "out from the umbrella of father's authority" couldn't be more true. But here is Erin, and her sisters and brothers attending this Christmas party, and here's Chad taking the photos! David Waller is there....Brandon Keilen....the whole gang! 

This was only 5 years ago. I just find it hard to believe that a family who for several decades has worshipped this man, all of a sudden will drop him at the first sign of trouble in the press. Which is why I realize they have only denounced him for that reason, because of unwanted media criticism.

Just take a look at his blog...this photo is from the Christmas Party December 21, 2011.

So in reality, this was only 4 1/2 short years ago......

Just a reminder folks,  before we all start gushing about the Bates again! Pictures speaks a 1000 words.

IMG_0074.JPG

Not arguing with your logic at all.  If it looks like a duck, etc....  HOWEVER, I will say this:  It was not until I left my parents' home (specifically my MOTHER) that I stopped drinking the Catholic Koolaid.  It is 2016 now... A lot can change in a young adult's mind in 4.5 years.  Jury is out on Erin and Chad and the other adult kids until we actually see what they do.  Shrug.  Maybe they'll be normal-er/ish... maybe they won't.  

22 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Where does one find these Courtneys and Tabithas to homeschool the children?  Do you buy them from the Alert Academy Store? Is there an "Surplus SAHDs"  section of Fundie Craig's List?

Yep! Like Michael Bates they've reached the danger-age. No courtship and none in sight. Get them out to some new territory to be looked over. Like the Amish sometimes do. Too bad for poor Sarah Maxwell that this won't be offered to her.

Like "girls" of a certain age in the Ante-Bellum South, they are shipped off in hopes of finding a widower with only 12 children to marry her and make her an adult and a mother.

29 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Not arguing with your logic at all.  If it looks like a duck, etc....  HOWEVER, I will say this:  It was not until I left my parents' home (specifically my MOTHER) that I stopped drinking the Catholic Koolaid.  It is 2016 now... A lot can change in a young adult's mind in 4.5 years.  Jury is out on Erin and Chad and the other adult kids until we actually see what they do.  Shrug.  Maybe they'll be normal-er/ish... maybe they won't.  

But does "not supporting" Gothard mean leaving ATI/IBLP?

That picture shows the real Bates family, not the one they put on social media to fool people into thinking they aren't creepy as hell. 

I think that the turning on him had to do with him becoming a liability to both their image and to IBLP. They are all about looks, which is why they work so hard to create a social media presence that makes them look cute and cuddly. 

21 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

No because Gil is "not supporting " Gothard and he is still very much into ATI/IBLP. Gil conned Gothard into thinking he was a devoted minion, but he helped toss Gothard the second he got the chance. 

I do think a lot can happen in 4.5 years, but with the Bates I suspect most of the changes are superficial and no real beliefs have been changed. Even if Erin rejects IBLP/Gothard, that doesn't mean she is rejecting fundie beliefs. John Shrader rejected all things Gothard and he is still very, very fundie. 

We will know about Erin and Chad's affiliation with IBLP as soon as the baby hits 4/5. Or we know more, at least. The curricula people pick is often very telling. 

I do tend to think Erin and Chad were being truthful when they said they didn't have affiliation with Gothard. I do think they woke up a little when they got together. They may never leave fully, but I really do think we will see a softening of their beliefs...or they will head towards more mainstream Christianity. 

I'm not speculating about Chad and Erin's affiliation with Gothard at all.

But I will say is that Erin's about to turn 25? now?  I know I was a totally different person at 25 than I was at 20/21 (when that pic was taken).  Think of yourself at 20/21 vs 24/25.  Completely different stage in most people's lives.  I don't doubt that she's changed (she's grown up a lot even if her beliefs are still the same--- marriage and children will do that to anyone).  

Real test is if Carson and Brooklyn (and siblings) will be homeschooled.  My guess is they will be, but there's still time.

44 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Of course it doesn't.  It doesn't mean they haven't either.  It's a very ambiguous statement, and only time will tell what it really means.

43 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm not speculating about Chad and Erin's affiliation with Gothard at all.

But I will say is that Erin's about to turn 25? now?  I know I was a totally different person at 25 than I was at 20/21 (when that pic was taken).  Think of yourself at 20/21 vs 24/25.  Completely different stage in most people's lives.  I don't doubt that she's changed (she's grown up a lot even if her beliefs are still the same--- marriage and children will do that to anyone).  

Real test is if Carson and Brooklyn (and siblings) will be homeschooled.  My guess is they will be, but there's still time.

I don't understand why so many want to use homeschooling as a litmus test for their fundie-ness. Many Christians homeschool. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived