IGNORED

Lina and TT are getting married in six days....

Witsec6

"I can't help thinking about all the girls with broken hearts left in AJ's wake. He's such a hottie stud!"

"He is quite the stud muffin!!!! AND, he has a heart of gold underneath all his cuteness!!!!"

*gag*

EEEEEEWWWWWWW

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if there wasn't some kind of blow-up with Lina's family. Maybe they got tired of Love come over for dinner every night and Lina doing nothing bout hanging around the house all day, mooning about Love and cooking said dinner. They may have been saying nothing, hoping she would outgrow it and then one day a spark flew and all their frustration with Lina's refusal to follow their advice and make something of her life came rushing out. If so, they might be regretting that they pushed Lina further into Love's clutches.

I'm probably totally projecting my feelings onto her parents, but that's my hunch about what happened.

I wonder if there wasn't some kind of blow-up with Lina's family. Maybe they got tired of Love come over for dinner every night and Lina doing nothing bout hanging around the house all day, mooning about Love and cooking said dinner. They may have been saying nothing, hoping she would outgrow it and then one day a spark flew and all their frustration with Lina's refusal to follow their advice and make something of her life came rushing out. If so, they might be regretting that they pushed Lina further into Love's clutches.

I'm probably totally projecting my feelings onto her parents, but that's my hunch about what happened.

I agree, the whole desperate tempo of the wedding could have a lot to do with tensions between Lina and her parents. If she really, really wants to get away from her parents (or the other way around) and she can't move in with TT before having married him, so that might explain the hurry.

My guess is that her parents are OK with it. They would probably much rather her get married than have premarital sex (and if you make them wait there is no way they are going to make it). They know she's in love and they probably told her she'd better get married if she's going to "do that". They may not be fundie, but they are Christians and most Christian parents I know, no matter how liberal, think premarital sex is bad bad bad (I have family members who support gay marriage and were virgins until 28 so as to not commit that horrific sin). Remember, this is Texas. That might make a difference.

Who knows what they know about the extent of her religion. Although wouldn't they know about the blog? Someone from here once contacted her parents, so I assume they know about her blog.

So in summary I think the hurry is all about S-E-X.

The ring ceremony is where they'll pretend to be Jewish by having Anthony mangle a Hebrew phrase and put a ring on Lina's finger.

I wonder if they're ambitious enough in their playacting to go for a fake ketubah (marriage contract) as well.

I can't imagine they wouldn't go for a fake ketubah.

I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to achieve. Just print out a piece of paper to say whatever the fuck you want (in Lina's case something about being totally submissive to TT) and have some people sign it and voila.

I know that my parents have a non-traditional ketubah, so I feel like a fake one isn't that far out of the question (not that I think my parents' is fake or anything but admirable for not including traditional sexism, but my point is my parents have a real ketubah with non-traditional wording so Lina could easily have a fake ketubah that says whatever she wants).

I'm still going with Barton Springs or in one of the lakes. As far as I know, there's only one mikvah in Austin, and it's owned by the Chabad House. I remember when it was built, in the early 1980s (hard to miss the building when it was on my way to and from UT day after day).

She'd have a hard time sneaking into a mikvah. My bet is on a public pool somewhere nearby, or maybe there's a pool at TT's apartment complex.

I'll be very interested to see if she has herself a honeymoon baby in May or June.

I can't imagine they wouldn't go for a fake ketubah.

I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to achieve. Just print out a piece of paper to say whatever the fuck you want (in Lina's case something about being totally submissive to TT) and have some people sign it and voila.

I know that my parents have a non-traditional ketubah, so I feel like a fake one isn't that far out of the question (not that I think my parents' is fake or anything but admirable for not including traditional sexism, but my point is my parents have a real ketubah with non-traditional wording so Lina could easily have a fake ketubah that says whatever she wants).

You can order really pretty ones online saying basically whatever the heck you want. My husband and I actually have two - a traditional orthodox one and then a non-traditional one.

I've actually never thought about that fact before - we have TWO marriage contracts. I wonder what happens if we have some kind of dispute? I guess an orthodox court would honor the ortho one only but what about a conservative or reform bet din? Not that this would ever happen, it's just kinda funny to think about.

Sorry to go OT. =)

My guess is that her parents are OK with it. They would probably much rather her get married than have premarital sex (and if you make them wait there is no way they are going to make it). They know she's in love and they probably told her she'd better get married if she's going to "do that". They may not be fundie, but they are Christians and most Christian parents I know, no matter how liberal, think premarital sex is bad bad bad (I have family members who support gay marriage and were virgins until 28 so as to not commit that horrific sin). Remember, this is Texas. That might make a difference.

Who knows what they know about the extent of her religion. Although wouldn't they know about the blog? Someone from here once contacted her parents, so I assume they know about her blog.

So in summary I think the hurry is all about S-E-X.

I grew up in a liberal Christian church, and very few of the adults would have preferred that their children get into a bad marriage than have premarital sex. This isn't 1950 anymore. Only the most foolish, unrealistic parents would prefer to see their kid trapped in a marriage like this than to have premarital sex. And since 97% of people aren't virgins when they get married, I suspect that most of the Christians you know are more talk than (lack of) action.

None of this makes sense to me. If they're SO religious, why are they just having a civil ceremony? Can't they find anyone in Crazy-Fundie-Christian-Jewish-land that will come perform a wedding to their exacting (ie, picked and chosen from real Jewish weddings with no understanding of the history, meaning, or cultural significance of it) standards?

Anyone else not have a clue what is being said in this thread? Just me? hahaha. Can someone point me to definitions to what y'all are talking about?

Anyone else not have a clue what is being said in this thread? Just me? hahaha. Can someone point me to definitions to what y'all are talking about?

What specifically are you confused about? The people we are talking about are Lina from asetapartlife.blogspot.com and her fiance, Anthony aka Taliban Tony aka TT. They are fake Jews aka messianic Jews aka Christians who met on facebook and will be getting married in a few days.

Ketubah = Jewish marriage contract

Mikvah = ritual bath used in Judaism for ritual immersion. This one you might want a better Jew than I to talk about, though. It's used for all kinds of things - family purity (women immerse once a month after their periods), before weddings, around yom kippur, for conversion, etc. It's mostly used in Orthodox and Conservative branches of Judaism.

Anything else you are wondering about?

All the Jewish stuff.

The ketubah talk and the Mikvah talk are the only things that jumped out at me that regular people might not know....if you want to ask about more specific stuff I'm happy to give it my best shot.

People are discussing the mikvah in depth because a proper mikvah has some requirements (there must be a natural water source, for one. You have to be completely nude, for another. Only Jewish people can immerse, for a third). Lina has stated in the past that she will just use a swimming pool, which is laughable because a swimming pool is not even close to a proper mikvah. So that's why people were talking and laughing about her writing about the mikvah.

Only Jewish people can immerse, for a third). Lina has stated in the past that she will just use a swimming pool, which is laughable because a swimming pool is not even close to a proper mikvah. So that's why people were talking and laughing about her writing about the mikvah.

Werd! It's things like these that Lina does that bring me so much pleasure & laughter. That being said, in all honesty, I'm really worried about Lina marrying this whack job TT. This might have started out as a naive way for Lina to explore her spirituality, but with TT in the picture...and permanently....this has gone WAY too far! I actually fear for her & any future kids who are born to them.

I grew up in a liberal Christian church, and very few of the adults would have preferred that their children get into a bad marriage than have premarital sex. This isn't 1950 anymore. Only the most foolish, unrealistic parents would prefer to see their kid trapped in a marriage like this than to have premarital sex. And since 97% of people aren't virgins when they get married, I suspect that most of the Christians you know are more talk than (lack of) action.

Agree with this. Lina's parents might be conservative Christians, but I think they'd wanted her to go to college and I can't see anyone who'd let their kids leave home at 18 be so hellbent they never have sex that they'd rather let them marry in such dodgy circumstances. Plus in my experience, a lot of Christian parents who pay lip service to the idea that "premarital sex is wrong" are really aware that their children are going to have premarital sex at some point.

I think it's more likely that Lina's parents got fed up with Tony scrounging meals and her doing nothing and precipitated the wedding this way.

Train wreck.

Lina's parents must be beside themselves with all this crap Lina is putting everyone through. Her complaints about being so tired after moving a few boxes of books? I would think that her moving her things into Lovies apartment, soon to betheir home, would be a highlight for her, and yet she complains. Wait until she is catering to his every need and whim 24/7, then Lina will know tired.

I don't see the rainbow at the end of the tunnel that Lina is seeing. I see distress and depression and Lina not knowing what to do or who she can turn to in her time of need, and Lovie isn't any help at all to her.

Train wreck.

Lina's parents must be beside themselves with all this crap Lina is putting everyone through. Her complaints about being so tired after moving a few boxes of books? I would think that her moving her things into Lovies apartment, soon to betheir home, would be a highlight for her, and yet she complains. Wait until she is catering to his every need and whim 24/7, then Lina will know tired.

I don't see the rainbow at the end of the tunnel that Lina is seeing. I see distress and depression and Lina not knowing what to do or who she can turn to in her time of need, and Lovie isn't any help at all to her.

Actually I think Lina is lucky. Unlike many other fundy girls, Lina's parents aren't fundy. They wont have the fundy attitude of 'this is your life, be thankful and try harder' that so many of the people we talk about have. She has an escape route if she needs one, however to use it she'll have to admit to herself that she needs to use it.

I have been saying all along that I didn't think they'd actually stay together long enough to get married, but it looks as if I may end up eating crow.

I will say with even greater confidence that they will be married less than five years. The handwriting is on the wall; she has just chosen to ignore it.

Is she in the process of converting or is she just opting into Jewish traditions while still calling herself a Christian?

Another question, why do you call her husband Taliban Tony? Is he pushing her towards fundie-dom?

Is she in the process of converting or is she just opting into Jewish traditions while still calling herself a Christian?

Another question, why do you call her husband Taliban Tony? Is he pushing her towards fundie-dom?

On the old board Anthony came by to defend his Love. He sputtered a bit about "practicing Judaism" and dug himself into a hole by blaming the Taliban activities on women who are not submissive enough.

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/7281/Lina-and-Anthony?page=1

On the old board Anthony came by to defend his Love. He sputtered a bit about "practicing Judaism" and dug himself into a hole by blaming the Taliban activities on women who are not submissive enough.

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/7281/Lina-and-Anthony?page=1

My face right now :shock: Why do people even think like this.

I breathlessly await the next chapter of The Young And The Messianic. I appreciate the trainwrecky details. Lina has accomplished something without trying: I am learning so much from FJs real llive Jews in these threads. I know the basic tenets, but the differences, like those in Christianity are fascinating to me. Thanks, all!

Archived