IGNORED

Poor persecuted Jim Bakker!

samira_catlover

3 hours ago, Mary C Doates said:

I see that Jim has learned nothing from his experiences. Kinda surprised that people are still buying into his scamming.

I know, right?  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone here seen the documentary The Eyes of Tammy Faye? Jim Bakker is essentially the epitome of how white color criminals are able to make a mockery of the criminal justice system.

One interesting thing they said was that his lifestyle was no different from James Dobson. I wonder if that's true. (Just found the documentary and loosely watching it as I do other things too.) 

17 hours ago, onlyme said:

I used to get stoned and watch Jim and Tammy for comedy. 

I don't think there's enough marijuana in America to make them really funny!:my_smile:

14 hours ago, infooverload said:

Has anyone here seen the documentary The Eyes of Tammy Faye? Jim Bakker is essentially the epitome of how white color criminals are able to make a mockery of the criminal justice system.

I just want to point out this brilliant typo -- I'm guessing you meant to write "white collar" instead of white color, but both are equally applicable here.

I just want to point out this brilliant typo -- I'm guessing you meant to write "white collar" instead of white color, but both are equally applicable here.

Haha that's what I get for not checking my phones auto correct. Somehow when I do typos on here they have the benefit of having a tongue in cheek quality. My other gaffe was typing help meat instead of help meet a while back. On an unrelated note does anybody have a term for the female version of a yes man on TV evangelical shows. Pat Robertson has the blond who does the Stepford stare while peppering uh hmm every few minutes. I always think my goodness what a creepy religious vapid religious cheerleader.

I remember reading a magazine column by Tammy Faye, back before the big scandal hit. She was talking about her dog (Fifi?) who peed on the curtains. Then the dog got hit and killed by a car. The logical conclusion, according to Tammy Faye, is that God was punishing Fifi for peeing on the curtains.

11 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

I remember reading a magazine column by Tammy Faye, back before the big scandal hit. She was talking about her dog (Fifi?) who peed on the curtains. Then the dog got hit and killed by a car. The logical conclusion, according to Tammy Faye, is that God was punishing Fifi for peeing on the curtains.

That's logic. You can't argue.

@infooverload, I don't know if there's a word for those vapid women who stare adoringly at slimy televangelists, but the vapidiot who does it for Pat is Terry Meeuwsen who was Miss America 1973.  

I may be wrong about this, but I'm fairly convinced that Tammy's makeup was more of a lacquer...

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@infooverload, I don't know if there's a word for those vapid women who stare adoringly at slimy televangelists, but the vapidiot who does it for Pat is Terry Meeuwsen who was Miss America 1973.  

My friends and I refer to them as Nancitas--in honor of the vacant, adoring stare perfected by Nancy Reagan (and more recently on display among fundie wives like J'chelle).

One interesting thing they said was that his lifestyle was no different from James Dobson. I wonder if that's true. (Just found the documentary and loosely watching it as I do other things too.) 

Hmm. I'm not sure they're similar but then I'm not very familiar with Dobson. From what I know of him, he doesn't seem like as much of a quack. The Bakkers seem like they're in another stratosphere of crazy from Dobson but like I said...not terribly familiar with him anymore. I'm prepared to have to walk back that statement. Anybody else know?

14 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Hmm. I'm not sure they're similar but then I'm not very familiar with Dobson. From what I know of him, he doesn't seem like as much of a quack. The Bakkers seem like they're in another stratosphere of crazy from Dobson but like I said...not terribly familiar with him anymore. I'm prepared to have to walk back that statement. Anybody else know?

The PTL club seems to have been more into the prosperity gospel and the celebration of crass over-consumption than culture war stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if Dobson has a similarly opulent lifestyle but simply doesn't flaunt it the way Jim and Tammy Faye did.

According to a former associate, Gil Moegerle, Jim Dobson is very full of himself, insists that you call him "Doctor Dobson",  paints himself as a clinical psychologist when his doctorate is in Ed Psych and feels he can do no wrong.  No, seriously, he feels that he cannot sin.

Then there's the incident with Siggy, his dachshund....

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The PTL club seems to have been more into the prosperity gospel and the celebration of crass over-consumption than culture war stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if Dobson has a similarly opulent lifestyle but simply doesn't flaunt it the way Jim and Tammy Faye did.

That's what I was wondering. She seemed to feel they were unfairly judged because they live a "good lifestyle" but then (Was it their laywer?) said it was no different from James Dobson or Pat Robertson. I just wonder if that is true because I could see the possibility of the Christian community being willing to fry them because Tammy Faye's make-up was so over the top and didn't seem to have any problem with gay folk. 

*Working off memory here, and sorry, but not enough energy to call up Google*

I can seriously (REALLY!) dig someone who wants to spread the Gospel of Whoever Whatever, and who does NOT want to get into Ancient Greek/Olde Churche Latin/Hebrew/Aramaic/Classical Arabic, or whatever, and who just works off That Particular Message in modern translations, and does the best possible to show the love of God (by whatever name---let's not get picky here)

THAT being said: you're an ordained Christian/*whatever* preacher, but you never got around to reading a whole bunch of your Particular Holy Book till you wound up in the slammer? And you want me to follow you in faith???!???!!  ELEVENTY!

I'd way rather follow someone with a sixth-grade level of education and a whole LOT of faith and compassion (cf.:Amish), rather than a charlatan who grifted and lied about Following The Weal and Twoo0 Word of DaLord....

Does anyone here have DirecTV?  I actually watch the various Christian networks for the snarkworthiness on a regular basis.  Jim Bakker & new wife selling their doomsday buckets of food, Jimmy Swaggart whose entire network and schedule is an orgy of hate (Frances & Friends is my fave!) "we have DVD's on sale about the CULT of Catholicism", and there's even a Christian exercise show on one network where it's a married couple (of course) and she has to rotate herself in various awkward positions during exercise so her 'crotch' (which is covered in pants) isn't exposed.
This goes way back for me.  In HS I used to come home from school, watch Luke and Laura on General Hospital, then turn to the PTL club with Jim & Tammy.    

I had a job in college (81-83) watching TV for a study.  Every year we did the "number of violent episodes in an hour of prime time TV" one.  Then there were ones commissioned by various groups.  One of them was religious TV which is where I developed by fundie addiction.  One of the things we "coded" for was requests for money with the implication that it would bring financial gain to the giver.  Jim and Tammy were off the charts  on that one.

I would snark on all of them before snarking was a thing and one day we were watching a show and they read a letter by a woman who was Messianic who said God had blessed her with a job where she could hear the word of the Lord all day but there was this one girl...

"

4 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

This goes way back for me.  In HS I used to come home from school, watch Luke and Laura on General Hospital, then turn to the PTL club with Jim & Tammy.    

Ah-HA!  Tim-Tom, you just outed yourself!  You and I are in the same generational age bracket because that was the same TV viewing routine I had.

4 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I actually watch the various Christian networks for the snarkworthiness on a regular basis.

We haven't done this for a long time, but years ago we used to pause during our channel flipping to snark on the Bakkers and Crouches with their streaming mascara. 

I used to come home from school and watch Dark Shadows, which was a more wholesome alternative than the Christian networks, but possibly less entertaining.  :popcorn2:

1 hour ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

Ah-HA!  Tim-Tom, you just outed yourself!  You and I are in the same generational age bracket because that was the same TV viewing routine I had.

Me too. And Phil Donahue was in there too.... somewhere... and sweats and Captain Crunch. It's kind of a blur nowadays. 

59 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

We haven't done this for a long time, but years ago we used to pause during our channel flipping to snark on the Bakkers and Crouches with their streaming mascara. 

The three things I watched for:

How long into the program it would take before Jim started asking for money.

How long it would be until Tammy Faye started crying.

Waiting for one of TF's inevitable solos (with mascara streaming down her face.)

ETA:  Who in the world came up with the idea that a pile of pink cotton candy would look attractive on top of Jan Crouch's head?

Archived