IGNORED

Poor persecuted Jim Bakker!

samira_catlover

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll be fine. He has plenty of meal ready replacements. He'll probably even start a religions theme land for the cockroaches. Forget ant farms, it cockroach Christian condoes now!

Slightly off topic, but there is a book called "Salvation on the Small Screen" by Nadia Bolz-Weber that is hilarious--she watched TBN for 24 hours straight, and wrote about her reactions. The make-up, the hair, the tears, the "healings", the theology, the grifting, the sets that look like Hobby Lobby exploded, etc.

And Jay Bakker is a pretty progressive Christian pastor now. I can't remember if he has a congregation or not, though. 

You all are so awesome! I'm 37 years old so I was in elementary school during the big PTL drama of the 80s, but my grandparents always seemed to watch it and my twin sister and I would make fun of it under our breaths. The money begging was always fun to see, along with the audience - those people wore nothing but polyester. And we never did get to go on vacation to Heritage USA...ahhh, fun times!

Well, praise the Lord from me here - I grew up in the UK when there were only 4 channels and none of them were christian! We got about an hour of hymn singing on one channel - BBC1 Songs of Praise  - about 6pm on Sunday and there may have been something on ITV but I don't remember it -and that was it. Never have I been so glad to be a Brit than reading this thread.......(well, an exaggeration - I wouldn't want to be a Republican in the US now either!)

Archived