IGNORED

Poor persecuted Jim Bakker!

samira_catlover

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was JUST thinking about him this week.  I remember him in the prime of his scammery.  I'd be watching The PTL Club and think "No way is this right.  No way can God be OK with this."

FWIW, when I was 11, I remember watching a children's show they did on TV.  Tammy Faye did a puppet and even Melanie Griffith's voice wasn't as high as TF's was in that show.

28 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

I was JUST thinking about him this week.  I remember him in the prime of his scammery.  I'd be watching The PTL Club and think "No way is this right.  No way can God be OK with this."

FWIW, when I was 11, I remember watching a children's show they did on TV.  Tammy Faye did a puppet and even Melanie Griffith's voice wasn't as high as TF's was in that show.

Ah yes, the Jim and Tammy Show. They started out here in eastern VA back in the 60s, in what I think was the original studio Pat Robertson owned for his 700 Club in Portsmouth. My little brother watched it sometimes. I couldn't stand it. :puke-front:

Bakker said that he himself is a victim of anti-Christian oppression and that people should prepare for massive starvation and beheadings.

“We can’t preach the Bible anymore,” Bakker said, warning that violence against Christians is imminent due to “political correctness.”

Bakker said that such anti-Christian brutality is seen in the War on Christmas, praising Donald Trump for his pledge to save Christmas as president. “It’s almost illegal to say ‘Merry Christmas,’” he said.

After guest Rick Wiles, the host of the End Times radio program “Trunews,” urged people to commit civil disobedience in cases where the courts block school-organized prayer, Bakker predicted that Christians will soon be gunned down for praying.

“So what happens if in that graduation most of the parents stand up and recite the Lord’s Prayer?” Wiles asked. “What are they going to do? Is the judge going to come over and arrest you? Let’s get an uprising going.”

Bakker replied: “They would threaten to arrest you, they would threaten to mow you down with a machine gun.”

“So what if they did? They’re going to come in and shoot 500 parents at a high school graduation for saying the Lord’s Prayer?” Wiles responded.

“Not right now,” Bakker said. “But eventually they will if we don’t stop it.”

How can he just sit there and make up shit like that!?!?!:Grrrrr:

Bakker is so slimy. But, I'm hard pressed to think of a televangelist that isn't. 

2 hours ago, Loveday said:

Ah yes, the Jim and Tammy Show. They started out here in eastern VA back in the 60s, in what I think was the original studio Pat Robertson owned for his 700 Club in Portsmouth. My little brother watched it sometimes. I couldn't stand it. :puke-front:

loved the original Jim and Tammy Faye PTL Show! It was shown on Trinity Broadcast Network, with a studio that seemed to be in someone's garage. They were my introduction to fundies, and it was like watching a National Geographic special on the customs of newly-discovered jungle tribes. So.much.whatthefuckery. 

I see that Jim has learned nothing from his experiences. Kinda surprised that people are still buying into his scamming.

OMG! He's still alive?!?! I remember him on the damned 700 Club as a kid!

Didn't he even have a theme park and helped fund a satellite network?!

Soooooooo..... He peddles prepper kits now?! That's what my Google search showed.

I HATE him more than ever now! Him and that Jimmy Swaggart jackass. I get abuse, recovery, and other crap - and both of them are still around with their fraud?!

Evil.

Not only did he get his followers to fund a theme park, he sold time shares there AND opened a residence for kids with disabilities, who he pimped out mercilessly to get people to give him more money.

He is THE epitome of the scamming, evil, ultra rich 80s televangelist.

I just now finished catching up on him. He was SUPPOSED to have been sentenced 40 years in prison! I assumed he died in there!

His son helped to get his sentence pretty much reduced to a hand slap.

Then he writes a sob story book about how he was wrong, rather like how Swaggert appealed to people by his son story ... And both have churches again.

Bakker's survival meals don't seem to resemble food as the word is commonly used:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/03/456677535/apocalypse-chow-we-tried-televangelist-jim-bakkers-survival-food

Save for the pudding, the dishes were extremely salty and had odd, lingering aftertastes. We couldn't agree on which was worse — the thick potato soup that felt like eating wet cement, the strong chemical overtones in the chocolate pudding or the disturbing radioactive orange of the macaroni and cheese.

If the end of the world really does come, it seems like you'd be better off foraging than relying on this slop.

What Heritage USA is like today:

http://religionandpolitics.org/2014/10/28/a-theme-park-a-scandal-and-the-faded-ruins-of-a-televangelism-empire/

Some modern-day pictures of the property, including that infamous water slide Jerry Falwell went down after seizing control of PTL:

http://www.tommyandjames.net/heritageusa.html

Well, now that the prosecutors are done with him, I guess he's decided to turn his attentions to these imaginary persecutors. 

If this oppression of "Christians" like him really existed, wouldn't he have gotten more than a slap on the wrist for his fraud conviction? (Wikipedia says only 5 yrs of a 45 yr sentence were served?!)

I was actually surprised this guy's still around, though I was amused by this article about his recent business ventures: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/03/456677535/apocalypse-chow-we-tried-televangelist-jim-bakkers-survival-food 

3 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Bakker's survival meals don't seem to resemble food as the word is commonly used:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/03/456677535/apocalypse-chow-we-tried-televangelist-jim-bakkers-survival-food

If the end of the world really does come, it seems like you'd be better off looking foraging than relying on this slop.

What Heritage USA is like today:

http://religionandpolitics.org/2014/10/28/a-theme-park-a-scandal-and-the-faded-ruins-of-a-televangelism-empire/

Some modern-day pictures of the property, including that infamous water slide Jerry Falwell went down after seizing control of PTL:

http://www.tommyandjames.net/heritageusa.html

Good heavens almighty, Cleopatra, couldn't you have put those NPR pics under a spoiler? I've made curries that were less brilliantly colored that the mac and cheese! And that potato soup---good thing the pic was labeled; I thought it was oatmeal. *shudders and realizes that dieting is gonna be REAL easy tonight*

Jim Bakker still makes my skin crawl. (However, I didn't mind Tammy Faye and I like to think that if she were still around she would have been on RuPaul's Drag Race at some point.)

Jim Bakker still makes my skin crawl. (However, I didn't mind Tammy Faye and I like to think that if she were still around she would have been on RuPaul's Drag Race at some point.)

Didn't she have a special relationship with the gay community? I seem to recall reading something about that... Like when everything crashed down around her she still had support from certain communities or such?

..... I wonder if she went against the fundie grain and didn't view homosexuality as a "sin"?

12 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Didn't she have a special relationship with the gay community? I seem to recall reading something about that... Like when everything crashed down around her she still had support from certain communities or such?

..... I wonder if she went against the fundie grain and didn't view homosexuality as a "sin"?

Tammy Faye was an oddball among fundies, because she wasn't a homophobe.

10 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Tammy Faye was an oddball among fundies, because she wasn't a homophobe.

Tammy Faye was kind of an odd duck in that sense. As I recall, she grew up in a fundie Pentecostal family and was made fun of when she was in school for the long skirts and long hair that was the female uniform for her church. She also seems to have had issues with anxiety and self-esteem, a situation that wasn't helped by her marriage to Jim Bakker, who was emotionally abusive. I think she was able to use her own experiences to feel empathy with others, including LGBT people.

1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I  had some sympathy for tammy, however she crawled into bed with  Roe Messner who was viewed as filing bankrupct when he was not bankrupt..  

I've got much respect for Tammy, this is worth watching:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0233687/

according to the film, she seemed to have apathy with the gay community and during the early '80 interviewed gay men living with HIV.

Jim is a crook, but no different to what their former business partners the Crouches continue today on TBN.

His son Jay runs a ministry that openly apologizes for the homophobia of the "Christian" church. This stance has cost him a lot of financial backing.

Archived