IGNORED

Preparing daughters FAQ. OMG!!

marysue

I agree with other it is another money making scheme using a board. The rules are pretty strict and I'm not surprised by the rules or that Sarah M. is involved. But I don't think those rules have been updated/revised in awhile. Geocities no longer exists. Also there are other popular fantasy/sci-novel series out that wouldn't fly well with the fundies. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter have lost some popularity in recent years and more adult themed type novels like A Song of Ice and Fire series are gaining more and more popularity due to the HBO show. I'm sure fundies would hate on the teen girls and some of the adult women who read the Twilight books. The Preparing Daughters site seems to be behind in it's rules/FAQ/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm past the point of feeling for Sarah Maxwell. She's almost 30. She has choices -- sure they'd be hard choices and yes, her upbringing has limited some of her immediate options. But there are places she could go and people she could ask for help. Putting aside shelters, spiritual abuse charities and communities, social service organizations and all her other options, I believe that almost anyone here would help her too if she seriously asked. I did have sympathy for her at one time, but it's going away quickly. The thing is -- she's not a post-reversal kid. She knows there are other ways to live and other options. She wasn't so very young that she doesn't remember that. At some point, she has to take some responsibility for choosing to stay under her father's control. I do try to think about how hard making those choices would be... starting out life anew with almost nothing and having to rely on others (be they government, strangers or attenuated family relationships) to survive at first. I can't imagine how hard that would be. But at this point, staying really is a choice. Not an incomprehensible one, but a choice nonetheless.

I don't know. I used to have more sympathy for her, but it's waning. Oh, I don't know. It's complex -- I do feel for her. But I don't like her. And I know she's stuck. But I wonder if part of her doesn't like being stuck -- never having to make a hard choice, or think for yourself or make your own decisions.

Bah. Can you tell I'm ambivalent?

The thing is -- she's not a post-reversal kid. She knows there are other ways to live and other options. She wasn't so very young that she doesn't remember that.

So how long have they been fundies? I gather you're saying they used to be a regular family, with a dad who worked outside the home? Did the kids go to public school.

Nell

I'm looking through their blog. Steve was in the Air Force, stationed in Thailand. Now, I'm a former military nurse and I can tell you every military man I ever knew who had a chance to spend time in Thailand found a Thai girl, or girls, to have sex with. Do you think.....? I wonder if he was married or single then. If he was single I can almost guarantee he spent some time enjoying the girls. ;)

Also, he used to run marathons so he wasn't always anti sports.

Nell

On the Maxwell's blog is this: "June 1990 with Joseph, our first reversal baby." Does that mean that either he underwent a vasectomy reversal or Teri a tubal ligation reversal?

Nell

I'm looking through their blog. Steve was in the Air Force, stationed in Thailand. Now, I'm a former military nurse and I can tell you every military man I ever knew who had a chance to spend time in Thailand found a Thai girl, or girls, to have sex with. Do you think.....? I wonder if he was married or single then. If he was single I can almost guarantee he spent some time enjoying the girls. ;)

Also, he used to run marathons so he wasn't always anti sports.

Nell

Maybe Steve has a half-Thai child out there. :D

Here's the reversal post:http://www.titus2.com/corners/7-00-d.htm

Note this:"However, due to her body's inability to regulate progesterone, Teri was suffering with extreme depression. In addition, the three children we had were presenting significant challenges for Teri to cope with. The medical community, and even a Christian counselor, had no solutions for us. It became clear to us that three children were all that Teri could manage"

And so he had a reversal and Teri had more children. And now she has a book out on depression, oh vey.

Nell

Here's the reversal post:http://www.titus2.com/corners/7-00-d.htm

Note this:"However, due to her body's inability to regulate progesterone, Teri was suffering with extreme depression. In addition, the three children we had were presenting significant challenges for Teri to cope with. The medical community, and even a Christian counselor, had no solutions for us. It became clear to us that three children were all that Teri could manage"

And so he had a reversal and Teri had more children. And now she has a book out on depression, oh vey.

Nell

Why does he word it like "It became clear to us that three children were all that Teri could manage"? As if three is not enough? (I have 3, its plenty.) I bet anything when he was having one of his "hating Teri" episodes he threw that in her face. I am sure she heard, how REAL women can handle all the children god gives them with a meek spirit and a smile, but weak, hell bound Teri made Steve commit the sin of getting a vasectomy. It is her fault she couldn't handle more kids .He guilted her into the reversal kids, you know he did.

And this in Oct 2006:" It made no sense for us to begin homeschooling when Teri was in the midst of depression. She shares that she was hopeful that if she was obedient in homeschooling God would remove the depression."

Whatever possessed her to stay with a man who obviously blamed her for her depression. To think she went through years of depression when she could have been prescribed an anti-depressant and been improved.

Nell

In fact, if a reader here doesn't have the money but wants a generic chore system, I'll send you the basic materials (of my own design; they are not related to the Maxwells' super special copyrighted work). Just PM me with your mailing address, the number of kids you have, their ages, and the chores you want them to do. This offer is good only while supplies last. (Why would I do that, you ask? Because I think religion, and materials created and marketed under its banner, should either be free or reasonably priced – and, where applicable, available to libraries. All else is making merchandise of the Gospel.)

I'll admit, I'm curious to see what these things look like made-up - although I don't actually, you know, want one. Would anyone be willing to share an example? I don't know what it is that the Maxwells are marketing as 'chores packs', beyond 'a thing you clip to your shirt and some papers to write chores on and stick into the sleeve'.

Guest Anonymous

From what I understand the 'chorepacks' are just one part of a basic system that a family has for dividing up labour.

Each person has a pack that they collect every day to give them a reminder of chores that need to be done that day. The pack is a conference style plastic pocket that can be worn round the neck or clipped to the clothing. It contains a number of pieces of card. Each card has on it details of a chore that needs to be done and the person works through the cards in a sequential order until the jobs are one.

The packs are really the final step in a planning process... Up stream, the chore manager will need to have developed some spreadsheets that detail all the jobs that need to be done, in each room of the house, and how often they need to be done. They will then share the tasks out between all the people available, for each day of the week, and write each task on a separate card for each person's chore pack.

The general idea is that after some initial training in how to do the jobs, everyone should be able to function independently and get things done without the need for reminders. Mum becomes a manager of a system, rather than having to nag for help or do it all herself.

It's not rocket science and its not new.... there are lots of examples around on the internet.

The Maxwell version comes complete with guilt and depression inducing bible verses, and is COIL-bound as an added blessing. :roll:

ETA: link to an example: themcdowellfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/our-chore-pack-system.html

Guest Anonymous
Is Preparing Daughters a new Maxwell thing? I haven't heard of it before.

No, it's old. Sarah and Christopher used to give talks about godly childhood (I think Sarah may still do) and they developed sites to tout their wares. They have lots of sites around the place developed at a particular time for a particular product - preparing sons, preparing daughters, families for jesus, etc. They used to run message boards that accompanied some of the sites and Sarah moderated them but Steve kept hearing from God that they should ban discussions about this that and the other and they gradually shut them down. It seems God only wants to talk through Steve these days....

Is Preparing Daughters a new Maxwell thing? I haven't heard of it before.

The bottom of the page was dated 2003. but hints it was old were scattered on the page. Who the hell uses Geocities anymore? Hell, it was passe c.1999.

The packs are really the final step in a planning process... Up stream, the chore manager will need to have developed some spreadsheets that detail all the jobs that need to be done, in each room of the house, and how often they need to be done. They will then share the tasks out between all the people available, for each day of the week, and write each task on a separate card for each person's chore pack.

Thanks, anniec. I can't really see how there could be much more to the books (but then, I've never organised chores for a household), and I'm willing to guess the rest is filler, examples of charts, and Bible quotes?

So how long have they been fundies? I gather you're saying they used to be a regular family, with a dad who worked outside the home? Did the kids go to public school.

Nell

He was an Engineer with Boening until he was fired. (We suspect he was asked to lunch or interact with a female collage.) The 2 oldest went to a Christian school for a few years. They played baseball in Little League.

Steve ran marathons, flew a plane, road motercycles, and loved amusement park thrill rides.

Archived