IGNORED

Preparing daughters FAQ. OMG!!

marysue

I didn't understand the Trivial Questions thing either - you can't ask trivial questions? Questions like what instrument do you play?, what is your favorite color? are the types of questions that some people use to get to know one another. Oh, wait - the Maxwells don't really want to know others, do they? Their insular little group is enough for them.

All snark aside, I actually think this is the reason they have that rule. The Maxwells don't want to know you. (Although Sarah is 29 years old, for example, her father stands guard between her and the child fans of her Moody series. He responds to their comments, and assures them Sarah will read the positive ones.)

The Maxwells want your money, in exchange for overpriced crap (such as the desperate letters to Teri Maxwell's inbox), but they absolutely do not want to risk forming any sort of 'relationship' beyond a monetary transaction with people outside their family. Thank "Mr. Maxwell" for that; he's the 'benevolent' dictator who shut every gate out of his fantasy and treats the other members of his family as subjects in his own little fiefdom.

I know some people here like them, but alas I do not. Their self-righteousness and averice are major turn-offs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Following is a list of topics that we will not allow:

— Links to any web-site that uses Yahoo, Geocities, Homestead, Tripod and AOL. We so strongly disagree with some of the material they allow on their lists and those who have access to them, that we won’t approve sites that use them.

— Dating

We will not approve posts encouraging or promoting dating. BUT, courtship is a welcome topic! :-) Maybe you could share how the Lord brought this conviction to you, how the Lord has worked in your life on being content, etc.

— Romance Novels

We will not approve posts having to do with any Christian/secular romance novels. We feel strongly about the potential damage this can do to a young lady's thoughts, and so we will not be allowing discussion of these books.

— Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter

We also do not approve posts that talk about the book or movie, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

— TV

We will not approve any posts that mention or talk about TV except in a negative manner.

— Trivial questions

What instruments do you play? What are your favorite school subjects? What is your favorite color, food, etc?

This so reminds me of the boarding school I was sent to :evil:

And I totally agree that the Maxwell want our $$$

What I find most amusing, though darkly, is the Maxwellian 'misunderstanding' of copyright:

Please Note: Since the book and accompanying forms are copyrighted, they aren't suitable for a library. It would be like ordering a school planner for a library. Multiple people can't use it without violating the copyrighted forms. If the book did go in the library, the ChorePack would need to be removed, and the Chore forms would need a note written on each one that says they are copyright and can't be copied. The group would not have ethical access to the ChorePacks website as well.

The above can be found on the Managers of Their Chores product page.

Anyone with $5 and half a brain could put together a similar generic system without paying (or even "ethically" owing) the Maxwells one red cent.

In fact, if a reader here doesn't have the money but wants a generic chore system, I'll send you the basic materials (of my own design; they are not related to the Maxwells' super special copyrighted work). Just PM me with your mailing address, the number of kids you have, their ages, and the chores you want them to do. This offer is good only while supplies last. (Why would I do that, you ask? Because I think religion, and materials created and marketed under its banner, should either be free or reasonably priced – and, where applicable, available to libraries. All else is making merchandise of the Gospel.)

The fact the Maxwells want to wring every dime they can from every transaction they make is further evidenced by the "sample" material they put up from Teri Maxwell's new book. There's isn't a single complete set of pages that would allow a reader to take anything useful away from the samples: That would be like stealing, I guess.

And each page is equipped with a giant watermark that says "SAMPLE" - I guess in case some enterprising person tried to...I don't know...exactly how could someone's printing the useless sample material hurt the Maxwells?

This so reminds me of the boarding school I was sent to :evil:

Your boarding school seems to have some things in common with Hephzibah House.... :?

Your boarding school seems to have some things in common with Hephzibah House.... :?

I dont know much about Hephzibah, actually am only learning in recent years how many exsists and how lucky I was to not end up in some of the other "schools". I was at VCA (Victory Christian academy).

Guest Anonymous
I don't like them. I can't think of any of their ilk that I like.

And I totally agree that the Maxwell want our $$$

Did you see the generous 'payment plan' they offer for anyone struggling to find fees to join the 1 Ton Ramp?

Do you have a payment plan?

Yes, but it's not what you're thinking. Break the course fee down into the size and quantity of payments you are comfortable with. Then, we would encourage you to take each payment, put it in an envelope and set it aside. When you have the tuition amount in your envelope, deposit it in your bank and register for the course online. You will have learned your first valuable lesson from your association with ITonRamp.

Did you see the generous 'payment plan' they offer for anyone struggling to find fees to join the 1 Ton Ramp?

Yes, but it's not what you're thinking. Break the course fee down into the size and quantity of payments you are comfortable with. Then, we would encourage you to take each payment, put it in an envelope and set it aside. When you have the tuition amount in your envelope, deposit it in your bank and register for the course online. You will have learned your first valuable lesson from your association with ITonRamp.

:roll: They aren't going to give anyone anything until they get all their money. I don't think they read the words of Jesus a great deal.

LOL!

Wow - they're so arrogant. They can't just say, "No. Sorry. We do not offer a payment plan." They must condescend to their readers.

I have an even better idea: Save your money, and spend a a mere third of what the Maxwells are charging to take the same course through a different site - and, if you're a woman, the secular alternative will even allow you to interact directly with the instructors rather than through teenage mediators who don't know anything about the product.

I know some people here like them, but alas I do not. Their self-righteousness and averice are major turn-offs.

With the exception of the FJ member who knows them IRL (QueenMother?), I don't think a single person here actually likes them! Likes talking about them, sure. They're the gift that keeps on giving for snarkers. I find them fascinating, yet wholly unlikeable.

With the exception of the FJ member who knows them IRL (QueenMother?), I don't think a single person here actually likes them! Likes talking about them, sure. They're the gift that keeps on giving for snarkers. I find them fascinating, yet wholly unlikeable.

I seem to recall, though it was fairly early on, that some people liked the Maxwells because they go to the long-term care facility and at first blush seem like a good family. Of course, you've probably kept better tabs on changing attitudes towards the Maxwells than I have. I've always disliked them. I don't even like how they talk about the residents of the facility they afflict with their presence every week.

I seem to recall, though it was fairly early on, that some people liked the Maxwells because they go to the long-term care facility and at first blush seem like a good family. Of course, you've probably kept better tabs on changing attitudes towards the Maxwells than I have. I've always disliked them. I don't even like how they talk about the residents of the facility they afflict with their presence every week.

I kind of liked them at first. I thought they seemed harmless. What can I say? I can be naive at times. I wouldn't say that I actively dislike them, per se, but I definitely dislike many of their beliefs and actions. I've got a soft spot for the kids, though. I really feel for them (especially Sarah).

Guest Anonymous

Eeeuw, I've not picked up vibes that anyone here likes them. They are the family that most fascinates me though, I actually only joined FJ after that weekend when someone here posted the video of the wedding and you all dissected it live. :lol:

I think even Queen Mother must have her reservations about them... otherwise, why come here and throw tidbits of info to the snarkers? :P

I do feel for the younger members of the family. I even feel very badly for Sarah, but I would not like to have her as a friend.

I'm not sure what century SHE lives in, but I live in the year 2011, and these days, pants are NOT solely men's garments.

Nor have they ever been, except for a few hundred years in the past. Before that, everyone wore "dresses". :-P

The Preparing Daughters title makes me think of the "To Serve Humans" episode of the Twilight Zone. Preparing Daughters: tenderizing, marinating, seasoning.

I certainly wouldn't say that I "like" them, but I'll admit, they do fascinate and repulse me. So rigid, so controlling, can't stand to listen or hear or read or watch anything that they disagree with or disapprove of for fear their precious little hearts will be tainted, somehow. Christians in name only, who clutch their KJV in their sweaty little palms, frantically searching for the verses that assure them they're holier than the rest of the rabble. Don't step out into the real world, whatever you do - don't risk interacting with people or doing any of the work of Jesus out in the real, everyday world, because you'll get infected by the unwashed masses. :evil:

MY kids sports can not really be done alone and their siblings aren't interested. Oldest cannot fence himself.

My husband encourages my girl who loves play ice hockey. Her hockey equipment is certainly modest. :) He is her coach and he also plays himself. My boys like it enough that they will skate on our yard rink in winter,but that is it. Are they supposed to be forced to play hockey because the all powerful husband loves it and feels it will be our family sport? NO WAY IN HELL am I playing hockey. Now roller derby, I can do that. :)

Guest Anonymous
I certainly wouldn't say that I "like" them, but I'll admit, they do fascinate and repulse me. So rigid, so controlling, can't stand to listen or hear or read or watch anything that they disagree with or disapprove of for fear their precious little hearts will be tainted, somehow. Christians in name only, who clutch their KJV in their sweaty little palms, frantically searching for the verses that assure them they're holier than the rest of the rabble. Don't step out into the real world, whatever you do - don't risk interacting with people or doing any of the work of Jesus out in the real, everyday world, because you'll get infected by the unwashed masses. :evil:

But they're not too proud or godly to solicit our filthy lucre-as much as they can get!

Her hockey equipment is certainly modest. :)

It certainly doesn't get more modest than hockey uniforms. :shock: Now football, oh my, those tight pants the boys wear could certainly make a girl's thoughts turn to a place they shouldn't go. :oops:

My daughter was a competitive swimmer. My boys said they weren't going to join the swim team because no way were they wearing those speedos that left nothing to the imagination, LOL. I doubt any fundies are on swim teams.

Nell

— TV

We will not approve any posts that mention or talk about TV except in a negative manner.

How ridiculous is this? OK these would be my comments if I were a troll in Sarah's board:

"Hey girls, great news for us all!!! Walmart is finally selling jumpers!!11!! You can find them at the aisles opposite to the evil (pardon my mouth) TV sets"

or

"I need to share my biggest struggle with you. My father has decided that it is ok for our family to watch the Duggar show. I know that I should never ever question his divinely inspired authority, but what will my much waited prince charming think of this if he finds out? Will he still want to court me if my family are... TV watchers :o :o :o "

MY kids sports can not really be done alone and their siblings aren't interested. Oldest cannot fence himself.

My husband encourages my girl who loves play ice hockey. Her hockey equipment is certainly modest. :) He is her coach and he also plays himself. My boys like it enough that they will skate on our yard rink in winter,but that is it. Are they supposed to be forced to play hockey because the all powerful husband loves it and feels it will be our family sport? NO WAY IN HELL am I playing hockey. Now roller derby, I can do that. :)

No, Clibby, it's not modest! She's wearing pants!

wow, talk about indoctrination!! that's intense, really. i also wondered why they didn't specifially list any other type of fantasy literature.

also, love novels? really? makes a girl want to much? expect a man to be nice?

what i've been wondering about for wihle - look feminist, but dont show /expose/ emphasize your female parts. as in skinny jeans, cleavage... isnt that a contradiction in itself!?

btw, do they wear heels? i never read anything on that.

wow, talk about indoctrination!! that's intense, really. i also wondered why they didn't specifially list any other type of fantasy literature.

also, love novels? really? makes a girl want to much? expect a man to be nice?

what i've been wondering about for wihle - look feminist, but dont show /expose/ emphasize your female parts. as in skinny jeans, cleavage... isnt that a contradiction in itself!?

btw, do they wear heels? i never read anything on that.

I think its just flats and tennis shoes. I cannot remember seeing their feet at C&A's wedding, but I think Teri had on plain,low heels(like 2 inches tops) or flats.

Lets see:

1. I was a gymnast, a cheerleader, and I ran track.

2. I love Harry Potter. I have all but the last movie on blue ray and I own two copies of each book.

3. I like to watch tv.

4. I not only dated my husband, but we lived together before we were married.

5. I wear pants and work outside the home.

Well, damn! I must be going to hell. :lol:

Now football, oh my, those tight pants the boys wear could certainly make a girl's thoughts turn to a place they shouldn't go. :oops:

Heh. When I was in high school, I could tell which guy on the football sidelines was my boyfriend just by looking at their butts.

On topic...I actually don't think any part of the previous sentence would be in line with the rules on Preparing Daughters.

Archived